PDA

View Full Version : Charge of the slann - rulebook observation

JonnyTHM
13-09-2006, 05:13
Can anyone back me up that the picture demonstrating monsters charging in the big rule book (on page 59), is indeed a slann?

Is that really a good example of monster charges?

pox
13-09-2006, 06:24
well I'll be, it IS a slann on further inspection. your right, although technically a monster, that's about the wierdest example they could have used.

Skink Master
13-09-2006, 06:35
I bawked when I first saw it then started laughing. Tactically suicidal, but funny nonetheless. Even funnier if it works.

devolutionary
13-09-2006, 06:52
I thought it was kinda obvious really :D

I take it Slann aren't that scary in combat eh? :p

TheWarSmith
13-09-2006, 07:53
also seems odd that despite the big change to 5 wide ranks, there are illustrations with 4x2 knight units.

Voltaire
13-09-2006, 09:51
Thats probably more to do with whats in boxed sets than anything else. The Empire Knights, for example, only get 8 knights in their boxed set. This may change, or alternatively, it would be a marketing ploy.

truthsayer
13-09-2006, 12:23
I thought they used the Slann because they wanted to show the actual base size and what happened when it turned as any of the other pictures of monsters from above you wouldnt be able to see the base.

SpinO
13-09-2006, 12:30
The reason they did the slann is simply becaus they already have an illustration of a slann from above that they used in the Lizardmen Armies Book. So instead of making a new one, they just used the one they already got.

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-09-2006, 13:37
I bawked when I first saw it then started laughing. Tactically suicidal, but funny nonetheless. Even funnier if it works.

Depends. It is US 5, so does break ranks, and get flank bonus. Make it a BSB, and if it have a Warbanner as well, it's actually winning by one against your average unit if it flanks it!

Pravus
13-09-2006, 15:38
It just makes me smile to think of a giant, obese frog in the lotus position floating towards a unit of knights at high speed only for a tiny lizard with a kamikaze headband on to jump out at the last minute and whack one of the knights with a small stick. Probably screaming the lizardy equivalent of "have it!" or "I'll cut ya!". Oh, and he's probably got LOVE and HATE tattoed on his knuckles ... and a big sovreign ring.

OK, I'm thinking about this too much now ...

zak
13-09-2006, 15:46
Since when did anything that GW do make sense. Using a Slann also made me laugh. I can't remember anyone Lizardmen player using that tactic against me, and there are quite a few at my club. They could have used the Orc Wyvern, which they used in the combat phase. This would have made far more sense.
GW making boxes of 10 Knights. This may happen, but with a large hike in the price!

Lord Vilmore
13-09-2006, 16:27
yeah the book seems to be full of examples for newbies "how not to do it"

McMullet
13-09-2006, 16:46
Maybe they didn't want to use a flying monster, as that could cause some ambiguity ("Why doesn't the Wyvern just fly over the hill?").

Then again, the Slann is on a flying stick whatsit... :wtf:

Dtrik
13-09-2006, 19:50
there's an idea, next time I really want to throw my players off I throw my 600 point caster at a unit of heavy cavalry! That'll work!