PDA

View Full Version : What models to use for VC black knights??

Headsplitta
13-09-2006, 05:47
I fellas, I'm continuing my Von Carstein army and I added a unit of Black knights. I'm using the Red Duke horse as the basis for the model but I can't think of any suitable models for the riders. I don't like the current BK models and the plastic empire knights are so so... I want my army to be very empire looking as Sylvania is part of it. Do you have any ideas??:eyebrows:

Latro
13-09-2006, 07:15
I used the plastic Empire Knights with heads from the zombie sprue ... nice, cheap and easy to do.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
13-09-2006, 07:39
If you take empire knights, helmets included, but you shave off all the livery and stuff (just leave the shell of the armor) you get a pretty mean looking knight. The helms, without the livery, look emptier inside. You could even use extra skulls and greenstuff to make "macabre mockery" livery on these models.

Voltaire
13-09-2006, 08:59
Ordering the components seperately from the online store would be your best bet. Though using the Empire Knights is what I would personally do.

Pssss - Men at Arms make the best Grave Guard.

EvC
13-09-2006, 12:16
Don't they just look like a bunch of crappy peasants though?

zak
13-09-2006, 16:00
Not if you use the old metal ones with the halberds. I used these with a few heads and arms replaced and they look great with the coffin lid shields.

Pravus
13-09-2006, 16:08
Brettonian knights, Chaos Warrior heads and a suitable paint job. Chaos warrior heads work well with the horns clipped off in particular. If you feel like pushing the boat out a bit, the chaos lord of nurgle head (a sort hood or cowl) makes them look really menacing. I'd recommend the Brettonian knights for the body/horse a) cos they look better than the empire knights and b) cos they're knights from an "older" era rather than the "ultramodern" full plate of the Empire knights.

Voltaire
13-09-2006, 18:15
If you equip the M@A with skulls, halberd and hats, they look quite menacing actually.

My only drawback about using Bretonnian knights for Black Knights is that you may unintentionally find yourself falling into the curse of Mousillion.

wallacer
13-09-2006, 21:33
You could use Rackham "scavengers of Acheron" miniatures.
If you want to know what they look like check out the following link (about halfway down the page):
http://www.chchwargaming.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Dat Wildboy
13-09-2006, 22:21
i'd just use empire knights, skeleton heads and a nice dark colour scheme.

new peasants look good as grave guard if given skeleton hand weapons or chaos hand weapons for their wight blades. and some skeleton/zombie heads too.

i don't know why GW doesn't sell more combination plastic kits like when they released zombie pirates or 40k lost and damned.

Multifarious
13-09-2006, 23:03
I must say, those Rackam (or whatever) / reaper models really did not look good. They don't appear to be heroic scale either.

Headsplitta
15-09-2006, 23:28
The nurgle lord head is sooo nice, so maybe with a mix of dark emissary head and the nurgle one I could come up with something!! I have to find a suitable body...

gukal
16-09-2006, 00:23
If you are creating a themed list then black knights should reflect the bloodline. As others have stated, Von Carsteins are lords of the Empire. Empire knights are perfectly appropriate without any modification. Throw in some extra skulls and a sufficiently grim paint scheme and you're set.

Others have used Bretonnian Knights for Blood Dragons. Standard BK are good for Lahmians. I've seen some fun centaur-skeletons as BK for Strigoi (half Skeletal Steed; half Skeleton; a wee bit of green stuff).

- Gukal

prince_dios
16-09-2006, 00:55
For Lahmians, you could take the TK cavalry and make some barding for them.

In my Von Carstein army, I use Emprie Knights. I have them done in black and red, and a couple that have open helms appear to be headless. The horses are black with red eyes of course.

Yorrik
16-09-2006, 05:33
I used Brettonians for my Vampire Counts army - mixed in some zombie bits and sculpted green stuff flames at the hooves to make them look scary. I painted the riders and mounts somewhat spectral and the flames green.

Arduhn
16-09-2006, 08:22
a while back there was this conversion contest where you paid $6 (canadian) to enter and you were allowed to make a character. There were several tables with piles of plastic sprues in a pile. The character I made, for which I won best conversion, was a mounted wight lord.

The pieces I used were:

one empire horse
one skeleton horse
one set of skeleton riding legs (khemri)
one empire knight torso
empire knight champion sword arm
empire knight shield arm
chaos warrior head (5th edition)
chaos warrior shield (5th edition)
armoured plates from empire soldier sprue
marauder champion sword arm
marauder cloak
cloth piece from marauder sprue
green stuff

ok, so here's what I did. I cut the sword off the knight champion arm and the maruader arm and glued the marauder champion sword onto the knight arm, then glued that, and the shield arm to the torso. Then I glued the skeleton riding legs to the torse and glued the armoured plates to cover the upper legs (femurs?) and to look like they were attached to the breastplate. next I stuck a blob of greenstuff into the head socket and plopped the chaos warrior head on top, the old heads used to come out from the middle of the chaos warrior's chest but I stuck it on like a normal head, so there was a dome shape on the back of the helmet but it actually looks ok.

Then for the horse I carved out all the living horse parts and stuck the skeleton rib cage and legs inside the barding in a rearing pose. I had to cut it to make it fit but only the ribs stick out and it looks good, I made a skin of green stuff over the head opening and stuck the skeleton horse neck into it. I also carved off an armour plate from the empire knight champion horse and stuck it on the skeletal head. (you did say you were using the red duke horse but hopefully this will be useful to others)

Next I glued the knight to his steed and glued the cloak on, ensuring it would fit properly, I glued the skeleton tail to the horse and then glued a fur drapy thing from the marauder sprue to one side of the horse's barding to give it a drabby look.

If someone were to do a regiment of these, he would probably just use empire lance arms, and would require:

empire knight sprues
tomb king cavalry sprues
empire soldier sprues if the armour plates are desired (or empire knight legs could be distressed, adding skeleton feet to some etc.)

my suggestion would be to buy a regiment of knights (or just the sprues if you already have the horses), a regiment of tomb king cavalry (or, once again, if you have horses, then maybe just a sprue or two), and any other sprues or bits you think you need for unique heads, shields, and extras.

I would probably mix and match, some with skeletal legs, arms, heads, etc. as if they have lost bits of armour along the way.

edit: if anyone is interested, I can get some pictures posted of the guy I made

snurl
16-09-2006, 11:16
Here's a nice one, It fits in well with GW figures, My friend Lumpy uses one in his VC army from time to time.

http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/necropolisu/14171_G

VanHel
17-09-2006, 07:30
Hmm, what would people use for Necrarch black knights then?