PDA

View Full Version : And the Inquisitor said join me...

Inquisitor Konig
13-09-2006, 07:34
In need of an Inquisitor and Retinue for my Xenos Nid Hunting Guard army...

I've been working on my Xenos Inquisitor army for some time now. It is mostly guard (as there is no book yet). I have my fair share of elite units that attempt to pick up the slack of the guard when big nastiest get into my lines. What I have come to realize is that Deathwatch as an HQ choice are too expensive for how poorly i use them. (basically i give my opponent 250 VP's in every battle). What im looking for is an effective HQ Inquisitor (so i can add an assassin for an elite choice) with retinue for about 175pts or less.

This is what I have thus far...
Inquisitor Lord; power armor, power weapon, bolt pistol
servitor; power fist
servitor; multi-melta
Familiar
Mystic
Acolyte*2; bolt pistol and close combat weapon

These will boost my Inquisitor's respective stats, give the unit the chance to mess something up really bad with the multi-melta and counter charge anything that gets into my lines with the power first and power weapon. The unit with the Inquisitor is around 160pts.

Please comment. This is based off the Malious Inquisitor retinue but I dont really think it matters at this point since there is no Xenos book yet.
Cheers

Dranthar
13-09-2006, 08:03
I've been mucking around with what inquisitor to take in my own army as well (although mine are Marines with xenos hunters - Eldar), and from my own experience, making a points-effective inquisitor is no easy task.

I've found that to make a decent HTH inquisitor you need to invest quite alot of points, since you'll want the full complement of warriors, acolytes, at least a familiar and then all the weapons for the inquisitor and his retinue to enable him to actually kill stuff. And even after all that, he doesn't really seem all that good when you compare him to an assault unit of equivalent points.

The best way to take an inquisitor seems to be either to make him really cheap (ie. minimum retinue very little gear, and hide him up the back to hold a table quater), or good at shooting. A Lord with a Psycannon,

With your inquisitor, I couldn't imagine him lasting long against anything in HTH, let alone a decent tyranid unit. What I would instead do is either deck him out with flamers and maybe an incinerator as a counterattack unit, or take a psycannon, 1-2 sages and a few heavy bolter servitors and blast the bugs from up the back. The latter setup is probably the most efficient an inquisitor is going to get.

Eulenspiegel
13-09-2006, 09:18
Konig, the Inquisitior + Retinue and the Assassin will come to almost 300 points together. Just imagine what you could buy for your guardsmen. Thatīs an entire Platoon!

Besides, I donīt think your setup is going to do much most times. Itīs a fairly weak close combat squad with a very shortranged gun. I think theyīll be even less effective than your Deathwatch.
So that means you Assassin will cost you 300 points.

Do you really want the Assassin that bad? If you want the Ordo Xenos Inquisitor just for fluff reasons, build a cheap Elite Inqisitor. He can be kept well below 40pts (thatīs what I do in my Imp Guard).

Oh and Inquisitor Lords already come with Power Armour.

AventineCrusader
13-09-2006, 10:03
Honestly, if you plan on using an Inquisitor Lord, I would go with Inquisitor with Psycannon, Emporer's Tarot, 3*HB Servitors, 2*Acolytes w/ whatever. I know its not the models you have, but its really the most effective setup.

Crusader

Pluisje
13-09-2006, 15:22
<warning: possible cheese-fest>

If you focus on fighting tyranids, you might want to check out the Witch Hunters. There is a weapon called "Bolter-stake crossbow". You can give this to your inquisitor and you acolytes, giving them 2 R24" shots each that wound psykers on 2+ with no armour save allowed. Can you say bye-bye Hive Tyrant?
With your maximum of 175 points, you can either load them in a Rhino, to make sure they have the line of sight they need, or add a few warriors with plasma guns.

IMHO fighting Nids in close combat with any inquisitor is suicide (though very fluffy)...

Another possibility is to go drive-by-flaming with a rhino filled with warriors and acolytes with flamers..

ekister101
14-09-2006, 02:32
Honestly, if you plan on using an Inquisitor Lord, I would go with Inquisitor with Psycannon, Emporer's Tarot, 3*HB Servitors, 2*Acolytes w/ whatever. I know its not the models you have, but its really the most effective setup.

Crusader

EXCELLENT idea here. Give those acolytes bolters for more range and make sure you give them carapace armour so you can pull off whoever you want when things start dying. You could also take scourging if you don't like the psycannon (or don't have one).

AtlantianWarrior
14-09-2006, 02:41
Which assassian are you looking to get? If anything make your inquisitior a shooty one. A CC one will just die. It has been stated that a psycannon is a good idea. It is an assault weapon so you can shot and move.

sneb
14-09-2006, 02:49
I have some success with a CC oriented Inquisitor, though I only use him this way for the night-fight sword ( the expression on your oppenent's face when you describe the rules is priceless) I ussually load him up in a land raider with 2 PF servitors a veteran flamer, a familiar, and 3 acolytes in power armor(so the entire squad would have 3+ save). I also give him word of the emporer power. Expensive, but has proven suprising effective in games I've played.

UnRiggable
14-09-2006, 03:14
yeah give him the 3HB idea OR make him join a squad so he wont die nearly as easily

EDIT nice avatar sneb great album

Chem-Dog
14-09-2006, 04:26
In need of an Inquisitor and Retinue for my Xenos Nid Hunting Guard army...

I've been working on my Xenos Inquisitor army for some time now. It is mostly guard (as there is no book yet). I have my fair share of elite units that attempt to pick up the slack of the guard when big nastiest get into my lines. What I have come to realize is that Deathwatch as an HQ choice are too expensive for how poorly i use them. (basically i give my opponent 250 VP's in every battle). What im looking for is an effective HQ Inquisitor (so i can add an assassin for an elite choice) with retinue for about 175pts or less.

This is what I have thus far...
Inquisitor Lord; power armor, power weapon, bolt pistol
servitor; power fist
servitor; multi-melta
Familiar
Mystic
Acolyte*2; bolt pistol and close combat weapon

These will boost my Inquisitor's respective stats, give the unit the chance to mess something up really bad with the multi-melta and counter charge anything that gets into my lines with the power first and power weapon. The unit with the Inquisitor is around 160pts.

Please comment. This is based off the Malious Inquisitor retinue but I dont really think it matters at this point since there is no Xenos book yet.
Cheers

Ok, first things first, drop the Multimelta, if you're playing tyranids it's probably the most useless weapon you can take, a Plasmacannon might be a better choice.

Psychic Powers. Your Inquisitor can be psychic, so think about making him so, there are a few Psychic powers available that will help you out regardless of what enemies you're facing, Hammerhand, Scourging and Word of the Emperor are all Psychic powers that aren'r Daemon specific and would be useful to an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor.
Hammerhand might be handy if your Inquisitor is faced with Vehicle he needs to splat or a model with extremely high Toughness where wounding in the first place is more of an issue than the model's armour save, Scourging could leave your hands free for to CCW's (perhaps Lightening Claws) and just imagine the hilarity when the Winged Hive Tyrant fails his Ld test to Charge you because you've used Word of the Emperor. :D

Henchmen. Familiars, the Initiative boost is worth while even if you don't use the option to buy an additional psychic power, it can mean the difference between striking last or symultaneously or even first, a familiar is also a cheap model to remove when you start taking casualties.
Heirophants give you a Ld boost but as your Inquisitor Lord has a Ld of 10, that's not much help, the Heirophant's special rule is of no use unless you're fighting Daemons.
Accolytes are great, for relatively few points you get a fairly formidable addition to your warband. Many people like to keep the points they spend on their Accolytes on deffensive wargear so that when they step in to take a bullet for their mentor they are more likely to get up from it, I'd rather give them something that makes them a little bit more useful, a power weapon for example. Take three of these, they don't actually have to represent three seperate students of your Inquisitor, one could be a guardsman sworn to protect the Inquisitor or even some sort of Alien comrade.
Warriors. You absolutely have to include one of these, whatever it is the WS boost is a must. Servitors are popular as they can carry heavy weapons, but unless your Inquisitor intends to be stationary for any length of time a Veteran Guardsman with a Melta or Plasmagun could stand in for a Servitor with Multi Melta or Plasmacannon, a Grenade Launcher is fairly handy if you're playing against lots of different forces and Flamers are always useful even if it's only occasionally. If you use the Witch Hunters book you can use Crusaders 1-3 Ws 4 powerweapon weilding nutters with a 4+inv save is quite handy, especially if teamed up with three Accolytes with power weapons.
Sages, the Bs boost is good I wouldn't bother including more than one though, unless you are relying on your Warband to act as fire support for your army.
Mystics, the free shot can be worth while but you don't often get to use it, multiple Mystics can help if you are deffinitely expecting Deepstriking troops but I would put them towards the bottom of my want list.
A Chirurgeon or two can be handy if you want to use the Witch Hunters list and the Penitents can help you weather any psychic shenanigans your enemy decides to throw at you.

Wargear.
You're making a Xenos Inquisitor so a lot of the wargear will be of little or no use to you but I'll run through stuff you might want to use.
Null Rod, if you're not going to make your Inquisitor psychic, get this, it'll shut down any psyker trying to get you.
Force Sword, for the Psychic Inquisitor. Sometimes you only get one try, the Force sword can make that one try REALLY count.
Psycannon Ammo, can make a reasonable stand in for one of the Variant bolter rounds used by the Deathwatch, something the Inquisitor may well have access to.
Hexagrammic wards, if you're facing psykers this can help keep you safe from their attentions.
Artificer/Terminator armour, giving your Inquisitor an improved asve is never a dumb idea. Don't forget terminators can ride Chimeras.
Icon of the Just, just call it a Conversion field generator or Rosarius an inquisitor would be able to aquire some form of Invulnerable save regardless of what Ordo he's from.

Think about taking Death Cult Assassins in preference to onr of the four Officio Assassinorum assassins, you can include three as a single elites choice, that's 6 wounds instead of 2 and three potential Targets instead of one.

Dawn of the Dogs
14-09-2006, 06:12
ok, here's my feedback:

drop the familiar. the +1 to your initiative dont do much against nids, since they will either have a higher I (adrenaline sacs), lower I (carnifex) or bring in weight of numbers on you.

for an extra 5 points, its wise to invest in a null rod, rather than a power weapon. immunity to psychic attacks is very useful, considering that nid warp blasts count as psychic powers.

give the acolytes storm shields.

probably drop the multimelta, youre running a guard army, let them do the shooting. add another combat servitor.

and inquisitor lords already have a 3+ save, no need to give them power armour.

as for the assassin, a Culexus assassin does rather well. getting +1 shot for the Animus Speculum for every psyker in range. meaning, Tyrants, warriors and zoanthroapes. he can concentrate on killing synapse creatures.

Inquisitor Konig
14-09-2006, 22:14
First of all, I would like to say thank you for all of your comments.
Now to the responses…

I suppose I should be a little bit more specific as to what I’m trying to replace by adding the Assassin , Inquisitor, and retinue.

My Deathwatch Squad had a Librarian, 2 Heavy Bolters, and a Power First. As you can imagion it had some close combat abilities but since the squad was so small (and the fact they still died like SM) combat was short lived and unless the Librarian did it himself on the first try, that is 250 pts gone.

The assassin I wanted to add was the Vindicare. His shooting would be, in my opinion, better than the Deathwatch. (the army is IG, I have enough heavy bolters to kill small Nids, believe me, I have it covered.)

As far as the Inquisitor it seems that no matter what I do, apart from giving him 3 heavy bolters, the unit is going to be a points sink. I like the idea of giving him either a cross bow or a psycannon, justified as “special ordor xenos ammo”.
The multi-melta I agree is a bad idea and another PF or a flamer would be a better replacement. (the power first model is going to be a guant with a lot of bionic upgrades and something controlling his head (using xenos against xenos, did I mention the Inquisitor is very radical?))
Acolytes get pretty expensive when you start giving them armor so I’m not sure yet how I’m going to arm them yet. As far as representing them I was going to make some eldar exodites out of high elf and guardian models. If I do give them armor then a storm shield sounds good, with a bolter in the other hand (las rifle maybe? I’m sure I could come up with something).
I’m going to keep the familiar just because it is cheap and I have made a pretty cool looking one already.
The mystic is only there for two reasons, one it is cheap, and two I have lictors… enough said.

I’ve used an elite choice Inquisitor in the past and I’d have to say it is a waste of points and a choice. In my army if I don’t have him it allows me to either infiltrate or deepstrike another stormtrooper unit. (I have two in my army and it is nice if I can do that to both of them along with the hardened veterans making three elite choices.)

To tell you the truth my army (the IG part that is) is extremely effective apart from this last 300 odd points that are used to give it an Ordor Xenos feel, apart from just being a Nid Hunting Guard army. The trouble seems that I want them to be effective, fluffy, and fun part of the army to play against (i.e. im not going to take 3 heavy bolters.)

One last thing. I’m a little confused as to the rules for allying Kroot to an IG army if there is an Inquisitor in it as well.