PDA

View Full Version : What Chapter should my dead Marine be?

Warp Zero
13-09-2006, 09:12
Sorry if this is the wrong forum...I thought maybe Painting & Modeling, but wasn't sure.

I'm doing a piece of jungle terrain with a stagnant pool of water in the middle of it. I'm putting a dead Space Marine at the edge of the pool for "decoration". He's shot up, many holes in him, skeletal decaying head, been there a while.....

...so I'm thinking, when I paint him up....he should be from a Chapter that is loathed. Y'know...so it'll pleasing to see him sitting there. :)

So....*rubs hands together*....what Chapter should he be from? I was thinking maybe Black Templars. But that more or less stems from my personal annoyance that they got a Codex before some of the other more deserving Xenos races got theirs...heh heh. I don't know....

Is there a more deserving Chapter that would be perfect for my dead Marine? Let's hear some ideas!

Thanks.

EDIT: Whoa, after posting this I just noticed that there's a thread called: "Why do people not like space marines!!!!!????!!!!!" (link:http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49046). Just wanted to say real quick before misunderstanding happen, this isn't in response to that....and I do actually like Space Marines. One of my armies is a Space Marine Chapter of my own design, I own all the Index Astartes books and read them often....love the Horus Heresy books, etc, etc.... I just happen to have extra Marine parts left over and can easily sacrifice one to use as a piece of terrain decoration. If I had an extra Tau Firewarrior around, I'd actually be using that instead since that's my buddy's army and my army's bane. :)

FINALLY DONE!

Okay, edited the post so that the finished result should be on the original thread starter. Hopefully link to the pic will work. But here's a close up of the finish pic....as voted by Warseer....a dead Ultramarine.. (yes, that's my Eldar army moving through the terrain around the dead marine)

link:http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43188890/

cailus
13-09-2006, 09:46
You could do it from the Impalers.

They are my own chapter but the thing is they were wiped out after being drawn into a trap by Chaos forces.

Colour scheme is:

Helmet: Black
Shoulder Pads - Black
Torso, back pack, arms, legs - red

And you said they should be loathed. The Impalers were insane zealots who impaled anyone suspected of heresy, witchcraft, treason or xenos association. In essence they were genocidal fundamentalists. In fact it was their own zealousness which led them into the trap.

Dobermann
13-09-2006, 10:21
Make it an Ultramarine.
They are everywhere. So they die everywhere...

Aegius
13-09-2006, 11:07
My choice would be iron hands. After reading the book 'Iron hands', I get the impression that they are an arrogant bunch. It's the only book I've read where I've been rooting for the bad guys.

Atherakhia
13-09-2006, 11:22
make it the Lamenters.
irony, that lol

Griffin
13-09-2006, 11:24
Ultra Marines or Imperial Fists

Sai-Lauren
13-09-2006, 11:32
Black Templars sounds good, although BA Death Company aren't exactly well liked either.;)

marv335
13-09-2006, 11:37
why not make the dead marine from your diy chapter?

kris.sherriff
13-09-2006, 11:46
I would make him a crimson fist.

Tensor
13-09-2006, 12:18
The DIY chapter of one of your friends :)

Tarquinn
13-09-2006, 12:19
Warseer chapter. ;)

AventineCrusader
13-09-2006, 12:27
Ultramarines. Because everyone hates a smurf.

Crusader

Wallace
13-09-2006, 13:30
Make it an Ultramarine.
They are everywhere. So they die everywhere...

I second that! I think the only people sad to see a dead Ultramarine are Ultramarine players...

Be sure to post some pictures once it's done!

Inq. Veltane
13-09-2006, 13:36
It has to be a smurf.

Gen_eV
13-09-2006, 13:50
Do it from your own chapter, then you've got a custom-built objective for Take and Hold games and suchlike. As long as the base isn't too huge, mind you.

Kamin_Majere
13-09-2006, 14:03
Warseer chapter. ;)

The inquisition shall be called down upon you heretic:p

I'd make it some random chapter only mentioned in a passing sentence in the fluff somewhere. Make it so ubscure that everyone has to ask you about it and you can be the "fluff god" around your area.

Other than that...lamenters, cause its funny:p

Llothlian
13-09-2006, 14:35
Ultramarines? Nobody likes them. :p

Okuto
13-09-2006, 14:51
It's gotta be a ultramarine, those buggers deserve to die. Plus it's easy to paint...most of my trophies are from ultramarines and the odd black templar....

But in short ultramarines, there's so many of them wanting to die....

Vanger
13-09-2006, 14:54
I like to annoy our Dork... erm I mean Dark Angel players around here. :evilgrin: But I would make that dead marine a Blood Angel ;)

keatsmeister
13-09-2006, 14:58
You don't have to assign a Chapter to it you know. Just pick a main colour scheme, whatever colours look best against the backdrop. Call it a renegade, or an exiled Marine.

Atherakhia
13-09-2006, 15:18
Here's an interesting one -- make it a marine from the Astral Claws chapter
oooooo spooky

Hideous Loon
13-09-2006, 15:25
But the Astral Claws don't ex... oh! OOOOHHH! Now I get it!

Wolflord Havoc
13-09-2006, 15:35
I would Suggest the Revenants (The Chapter that went renegade during the 13th Black Crusade - but the paint scheme is a bit boring) or your own Chapter.

Failing that you could do it the colours of your 'usual' opponent / best friend etc.

Or....the Astral Claws EDIT: Just read the 2 posts above mine - oops

Or....be really mysterious and have it as a fallen Dark Angel with black armor

Madhead
13-09-2006, 16:24
Wait. If there is only one corpse then does that mean his battle brothers survived? If they survived wouldn't they retrieve his corpse for an honorable burial, gene seed harvest. Wouldn't adepts be pissed to loose a suit of SM armor? Where is the Apothecary when you need him?

Maybe you can make the armor so rusted such that a chapter is not easily discernable and then use it as mission objective (this way it doesnt matter what SM squad is on the table they can say it's their battle brother). Something like the SM chapter is comming to the planet to retrieve thier brethren who fell in battle. The area is however infested with ork/nid/tau/nec/eldar (you pic) so they'll have to fight their way to the site and then hold it until a ship can retrieve them. I'm just sayin'.

Warp Zero
13-09-2006, 16:58
Wow, so many responses! Maybe I should post a pic of it when I'm done...heh heh :D .

The piece of jungle terrain will definitely be "just terrain" so there's no need to also use it for an objective marker. I make those seperately. Using my own DIY Chapter crossed my mind, but fluff wise...its such a new Chapter it doesn't really fit for an old member to be found on a random planet. Already a stretch of the imagination to find a lone Marine there. Plus....I've been painting these guys for so long...I wanna paint a new scheme. And...and...its my Chapter!

I'm seeing a lot of malice toward Ultramarines. Y'know I kind of thought of doing that too. Here's the thing with that though....one of my gaming buddies plays Ultramarines. Not only that, but his army is the best painted army I've ever seen. Plus, he's such a good sportsman and I don't know about taunting him with a dead marine when he never really does any smack talking himself y'know?

So tempting though....heh heh.

The Astral Claws idea is neat...but not sure where to get an image of their color scheme before turning into Red Corsairs....

Lamenters is another great idea.....wow so many to choose from. Might have to draw out of a hat.

Keep 'em coming guys! And thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Wait. If there is only one corpse then does that mean his battle brothers survived? If they survived wouldn't they retrieve his corpse for an honorable burial, gene seed harvest. Wouldn't adepts be pissed to loose a suit of SM armor? Where is the Apothecary when you need him?

The lone remains sitting there can invoke so many images on how the Marine might've ended up there. Last Marine of a task force trying to get off-planet with some vital intel? Or maybe just a brother who was so badly shot up they left him behind in haste. The guy has plenty of holes in him....we can assume an Apothecary already extracted his gene seed and stuff. Maybe long ago his Chapter assaulted the area against some Chaos threat. His drop pod could've went stray and crashed in behind enemies lines ...cut off from the main group. His team fought valiantly but eventually....he was the last and was brought down by his enemies. So many stories we could make up ......

Atherakhia
13-09-2006, 17:06
the Red Corsairs use normal marine heraldry but daubbed with red paint.... so it can be any chapter but with the icons "redded" out

Chainsworded Codpiece
13-09-2006, 18:40
OK, Imperial Fist Armor will show up nicely on jungle terrain (well, Terra-standard jungle; your mileage may vary according to the chroma of your world's plants). I also suggest Howling Griffons, also for the contrast.

Here's the thing. Model the marine on his stomach/one knee bent under him. Have the prone figure with arms grasping forward.

That way, it will look as if the Astartes was desperately trying to crawl away from his assailant...

"And They Shall Know No...HOLY F@KKIN" THRONE, NO! AUUUUUUGH! HELP! HEEEEELLLP!"
;)

Also, make sure that the chainsword slammed through his back, pinning his prone corpse to the ground...is clearly his own.

A Marine...defeated, humiliated, driven to crawling away in terror, and murdered by his own weapon...what could have done this?

Dun-Dun-DUUUUUUUUUUN.

Warp Zero
13-09-2006, 18:45
Here's the thing. Model the marine on his stomach/one knee bent under him. Have the prone figure with arms grasping forward.

That way, it will look as if the Astartes was desperately trying to crawl away from his assailant...

"And They Shall Know No...HOLY F@KKIN" THRONE, NO! AUUUUUUGH! HELP! HEEEEELLLP!"
;)

Also, make sure that the chainsword slammed through his back, pinning his prone corpse to the ground...is clearly his own.

A Marine...defeated, humiliated, driven to crawling away in terror, and murdered by his own weapon...what could have done this?

Dun-Dun-DUUUUUUUUUUN.

Well, from your signature....I bet you'd be happy to hear it was an Alpha Legion Chaos Marine?

Anyways, good idea...but its too late, I've already built it. He's leaning back against a rock....lots of holes in his body....head slightly to one side....

Anyways, just gotta paint it now.

Richgo22
13-09-2006, 18:47
Alwasy Blood Angels. . .vampires must die!

Chainsworded Codpiece
13-09-2006, 19:21
Well, from your signature....I bet you'd be happy to hear it was an Alpha Legion Chaos Marine?

Heh. Sure!

Better yet, an old-style paintscheme from the Loyalist Alpha Legion!

"Hey, guys, just got back through the warpstorms over in Segmentum Obscura...listen, there's a plot against the Throne, see, and some of my Brothers are in on it-hey, quit pointing those at me...AAAaaa!" <DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA>

Crassus
13-09-2006, 19:45
If your chapter is liked by the witch hunters, make them

1.Black Templars because of recent suspsions
2.Ultramarines(they're are more likely to be heretical because they have thier own empire, have a greater amount of marine than the amounted stated in the codex arstates..............)

Inquisitor_Matt
13-09-2006, 20:50
Rainbow Marines

2.Ultramarines(they're are more likely to be heretical because they have thier own empire, have a greater amount of marine than the amounted stated in the codex arstates..............)

Actually, R.G. of the Ultramarines came up with the codex and the Ultras follow the codex to the religiously. Before R.G. came up with the Codex, they were the largest chapter and they split into an uncountable number of Codex following chapters.

insectum7
13-09-2006, 21:11
Yeah, when compared to the Ultramarines the other famous chapters seem much more heretical, Blood Angels (vampires in spaaaaaaaaace!), Space Wolves (superstitious warewolves in spaaaaace!), and Dark Angels (mysterious bunch there, half their chapter already fell to chaos).

Personally, I would put either a dead Space Wolf or a Blood Angel, depending on the rest of your paint scheme the bright red may or may not work as a complementary color.

Tensor
13-09-2006, 21:47
If your chapter is liked by the witch hunters, make them

1.Black Templars because of recent suspsions

Gg.. gah... ggggggggggggg...... NEVER!
U

VetSgtNamaan
13-09-2006, 22:50
I always use dead ultra's when ever I need a dead marine or trophy for another army. You can never kill too many smurfs.

Okuto
14-09-2006, 00:20
I always use dead ultra's when ever I need a dead marine or trophy for another army. You can never kill too many smurfs.

hear hear, there's always so many more of them waiting to die for the emperor. Must be plenty of scouts to replace the buggers.

Though I must say that there's plenty of fresh black templar meat for the grinder.

Plus there's only so many crimson fists you can kill, the orkz got most of them

Warp Zero
14-09-2006, 03:51
Well, there seems to be a consensus for Ultramarines so....

....POW!

Ultramarines it is. The dead Marine slumped against a rock in a pool of stagnant water ....in the jungle....will be an Ultramarine.

Thanks for the input and ideas from all who have posted. If I finish the terrain piece fairly soon while this thread is still relatively on the first or second page....I'll try and put up a pic if you guys want to see it.

brother_fandango
14-09-2006, 03:54
Id say Red Scorpions. the fought the Nids alongside Inq. Lokk...

n00bLord
14-09-2006, 03:57
Ultra smurfs. Every one hates them because they are stereotyped.

Chem-Dog
14-09-2006, 04:43
I do actually like Space Marines. One of my armies is a Space Marine Chapter of my own design

Honour demands you commit one of your own bretheren to the terrain.

Or that of a regular opponant.

If I were to pick a Chapter, I'd say Relictors, those crazy cats have been getting up to all sorts of mischeif, but why is one of their number there...?

One final Suggestion, Pick a Chapter that's supposedly been wiped out or has dissapeared, Like the Scythes of the Emperor of Lamenters or pick a Chapter that's gone renegade, like the Astral Claws.

Sir_Turalyon
14-09-2006, 08:10
Emperor's Pointy Sticks, they loose everytime anyway.
Lamenters for good reason.
Blood Ravens, with backpack banner struck in the ground ;).

keatsmeister
14-09-2006, 11:46
You could always go for a Celestial Lion. Bright shining gold armour, with dark blue pads. Plus there's not that many of them left, them damned Orks

Warp Zero
17-11-2006, 11:11
Here's a close up of the finished terrain with (as voted by a lot of you) a dead Ultramarine. And yes, those are my Eldar Guardians moving through the terrain.

link:http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/43188890/

Hope you like.

Getz
17-11-2006, 11:31
I would Suggest the Revenants (The Chapter that went renegade during the 13th Black Crusade - but the paint scheme is a bit boring) or your own Chapter.

Dakkagor will be very surprised to hear that, seeing as the Revenants are his homebrew chapter... You mean the Revilers.

OnnO
17-11-2006, 19:37
I was to suggest a dead Black Templar, but noticed you were allready done.

I'd like to say: great job.
I really like the model!

Chainsworded Codpiece
17-11-2006, 19:54
Okay, let me just say-

That's a pretty ol' picture. It really is. I think you had the right instinct all along.

That Ulta-M'Reeno blue-and-gold is just f@kkin' stunning, up next to the pocked, abraded, worn-down bulletholes, and the scraped-raw, weathered skull.

Wonderful. Devo that I am, it made me hungry.

Great job.

Warp Zero
18-11-2006, 11:43
Thanks guys. I'm glad you approve. :)

Bloodthirster90
18-11-2006, 12:08
it's a nice piece of terrain, no doubts there but I have a problem with it.
It's not fluffy! The Ultramarines would never leave a suit of sacred power armour behind and if they ever did, they'd be back for it later, when any danger had passed.
other than that, awesome.

cav da man
18-11-2006, 12:19
thats a nice model you got there, one question that springs to mind for me anyway is what blows holes in SM like that?

Getz
18-11-2006, 14:57
Heavy Bolters? Autocannons? Pulse Rifles? Anything S5 or up really - just 'cos you made your save, didn't mean I didn't blow a chunk out of your armour...

ss_cherubael
18-11-2006, 16:11
lascannons and multi lasers would cut a hole like that, bolters tend to blow the crap outta what ever they hit that fails their save so i dont think that, autocannon sounds about right actually.

damn nice bit of terrain their and the guardians are nice too! I must admit that i miss having a smurf player to taunt with dead Ultras, brings back some good memories....

EVIL INC
18-11-2006, 20:08
Well done, it looks good. Personally, I agree with painting it in the colors of your most comman marine opponant so that you could have a "story" to go with it. Hopefully, you have an ultra opponant that you can do that with.

Chainsworded Codpiece
18-11-2006, 22:42
It's not fluffy! The Ultramarines would never leave a suit of sacred power armour behind and if they ever did, they'd be back for it later, when any danger had passed.
other than that, awesome.

1. It's most certainly as "fluffy" as anything out there. Just "real fluffy" as opposed to "propagandistic fluffy" a la C:SM.
2. Look, Ultra's don't necessarily have any better records-keeping than the very best the Imperium can offer. And that ain't so hot, often.
So they'll be "back for it when the danger had passed"?
What if the verdammnt danger doesn't pass for a hundred years? In all that time,they might misplace the coordinates for the armor.

By "misplace" I mean, that the first time they go back (after the century wait), they find they got the location wrong. Say, by a county's breadth. That adds up, in a jungle or rainforest area.

But they don't know how far off they are, and they can't necessarily spend a huge time looking for the armor across ALL of the possible sites it could be, in every direction from where they thought it should be.

So after their first unsuccessful sweep, they make piecemeal sweeps whenever they can. Each sweep could be years apart, given the way crises tend to pop up in the M41.

Let's just hope they keep detailed records of each sweep, that don't get lost, or mistransmitted by some dickweed Admin-dude working for them...

Anyhow, that armor may only be found by accident.

3. Who the hell believes that even the Great Blue Badfellas are exactly like they are portrayed in history? How do you know they don't occasionally give stuff up for a loss? "Well, we got his geneseed, and the armor's a common variant. At the last, it looked like the bolter was crunked, he was using it on the heads of the enemy like a club, so it's spirit must have fled anyhow..ahh, devil take it, let's get back to Macragge, he was a marginal fighter at best".