PDA

View Full Version : pike-wielding kroot - help!

Brothermarcus
13-09-2006, 14:53
Hi guys.

I have a bunch of kroot stuff laying around - forgeworld pieces included. I'm playing fantasy now. I don't wanna copy the GW tzeentch kroot - so I was thinking Dogs of War. This would let me use all my kroot models and end up looking pretty damn cool (Krootox as ogres, Great Knarlocs as giants, Knarloc riders as calvery, Kroot as pikemen, Kroot with wings as Birdmen of Catrazza). I just have 2 questions.

1. Is there any way within the fluff to explain this force?
2. I'm a novice converter. How do I get the guns out of their hands and pikes into them. I see 2 options... use the kroot arms which will need moderate converting since most of them have BOTH arms on their rifle - meaning the left arm is almost always handless; or, use sleeveless spear-wielding fantasy arms and just lengthen the shaft. I was thinking orcs. My only problem with this is that orc arms will be shorter and beefier then kroot arms and I'm worried it will be very out of place.

Any advice as to the theme and the actual application of the theme would be REALLY appreciated.

Kotobuki
13-09-2006, 15:39
Well, withthe kroot rifles, it should be pretty easy to simply snip the rifle off in front and behind both hands, no? Then drill through the hands, and cut/reposition at the wrists to make it work.

Sleazy
13-09-2006, 16:40
Kroot look fantasy enough to be in there (with weapon changes obv).

no fluff as such but just make some up, an undiscovered stable mutation living in the lustrian jungles or something.

I think it would look quite cool, post some pics when you do it.

Pravus
13-09-2006, 17:01
Yeah - Lustrian fauna adopting the ways of mecenary invaders. Think about a race of mimics (giant lizardy miner birds if you will) living in the jungle watching a Dogs of War army slowly die from casualties and disease. As the last of the troops die off the lizards come out and find the commander unconcious. They rescue him and restore him to health. He finds in them willing, capable and a doddle to train troops to replace his army. Before long they have built up a formidable reputation along the lustrian coast as very loyal, impeccably trained mercenary infantry.

Maybe the paymaster is the head trainer or something, leading his faithful lizards into battle with promises of fresh fruit rather than the spoils of war

Sleazy
13-09-2006, 17:09
Yeah - Lustrian fauna adopting the ways of mecenary invaders. Think about a race of mimics (giant lizardy miner birds if you will) living in the jungle watching a Dogs of War army slowly die from casualties and disease. As the last of the troops die off the lizards come out and find the commander unconcious. They rescue him and restore him to health. He finds in them willing, capable and a doddle to train troops to replace his army. Before long they have built up a formidable reputation along the lustrian coast as very loyal, impeccably trained mercenary infantry.

Maybe the paymaster is the head trainer or something, leading his faithful lizards into battle with promises of fresh fruit rather than the spoils of war

I LIKE IT! (said in the manner of that fella in Robocop)

Reabe
13-09-2006, 17:38
Drilling through the guns should give a nice shaft, and then you can get some steal pins (I get mine from Wargames Foundry) and slip those through the whole to be the rest of the pike.

Garazdraki
13-09-2006, 17:49
1. Is there any way within the fluff to explain this force?

Maybe from Albion, from Chaos Land or from Underground tunnels used by the dark elves.

Gekiganger
13-09-2006, 17:55
Can always say they're mutant-things from the chaos wastes. :p

Voltaire
13-09-2006, 18:20
Another idea would be some sort of 'corrupted' spawning of Lizardmen, all effected by Clan Pestilens. This would result in them being mutants (Kroot look pretty lepperous) and hiding from their brethren and hiring out their services. The paymaster could be someone who has promised to hide them from the rest of their kin.

Rathgar
13-09-2006, 18:53
Beastmen.

They are plenty more types that the goat/man hybrids of the Old World. Some are entirely random and chaotic, others appear to be stable.

Have them endemic to a jungalified region like Cathay, Ind, Lustria or the Southlands an the birdy features fit in nicely. Having a tribe or clan of this feathered chaos spawn decide to go all soldier of fortuning isn’t hard to explain.

the overlord
14-09-2006, 06:56
I have seen kroot models in use as Beastman.

This idea is a new one, I might be stealing this idea. Like it pretty much:) Gives a nice twist to DoW. Could be omplementing them with my norsca raiding force.

Greets Elise

Adlan
14-09-2006, 10:54
I really like this Idea, but 2 things:
1. Birdmen of Cazatrazza are very hard to use effectivly, and so I suggest using the flying kroot as fast cavalrey and the Mounted kroot as heavy.
2. A dremmel will make this job so much faster, I have converted 40 plastic pikemen from empire soldiers by drilling out the hands, I did ten with a hand drill then blagged the use of a dremel. Fork out 10 or 20 quid for it, it'll be worth it.

I'd suggest going to an ironmongers and getting steel rod for the pikes, looks great and dirt cheap (10 penney a foot)

I look forward to seeing how this works out