PDA

View Full Version : Video Battle Reports?

IcedCrow
13-09-2006, 16:40
I'm toying with the idea of doing up a video battle report. Breaking games down into seperate files. Not watching the game, more like going over the table after turns to explain what happened.

More interesting than reading?

zak
13-09-2006, 16:41
I never seen one before, but it sounds interesting. I've read some of your reports and they've been very good. So I'm looking forward to seeing this.

IcedCrow
13-09-2006, 17:27
My camera has video capability of up to 1 minute. It's about 10 meg per video file. You're looking at a battle report that was roughly over 100 meg when completed when you put all the video files together (basically a video file for each players' turn, one for each players intro and one for each players conclusion)

If you're on dial up it sucks to be you heh.

I dont' want to combine them all into one uber file as that would take forever to download. I will leave them split up and embed them in HTML. I may look into getting some cheap video editing software to add little graphics like "Turn 1" and stuff to the video.

Voltaire
13-09-2006, 18:18
Sounds like it would become more tedious than anything. Unless you can cut a 3 hour battle into a 6th of the size, people will probably get bored and turn it off.

IcedCrow
13-09-2006, 18:33
You're misunderstanding.

There's no way I'd want to watch an entire game in it's entirety. It would be a 2 minute clip before a turn, after a turn, pre game, post game.

The entire thing would be about 10-12 minutes.

DoomedDiceThrower
13-09-2006, 18:36
Whoa! Nice idea!

I'd actually pay for some official GW video battle reports. Imagine the big WD battle report back in the Armageddon world campaign with professional video footage!

Edit: which actually is a 40k comment. Sorry, I forgot myself.

But also some big Fantasy campaign finale battle reports would be cool. To see the designers gaming, and handling rule-problems with tolerance, fairness and intelligence(so that the fan community could take a leaf out of their book).

Nevertheless, I'd like to encourage your idea.

IcedCrow
13-09-2006, 18:53
I think the first attempt will involve audio and be a part of a new gaming show streaming from the net.

I have to test my idea with video in flash. It will be gigantic though and that's my concern.

Wallace
13-09-2006, 18:59
Whoa! Nice idea!

I'd actually pay for some official GW video battle reports. Imagine the big WD battle report back in the Armageddon world campaign with professional video footage!

Please say that quietly, GW might here you and actually do it!

I'd be up for some video battle reports - would make things interesting... you have my blessing! :D

Gaius Marius
13-09-2006, 19:01
Sounds really cool, where / when can we see one?

IcedCrow
13-09-2006, 19:04
I'm doing a 7th edition battle report this weekend between chaos & empire.

It will be a part of my new weekly warchatter audio feed. It will have a flash portion which will be the audio and the pictures, and you can also just download the audio if you so desire.

The video I will have to mess with to see if I can get it to a reasonable size.

robertsjf
13-09-2006, 19:23
As long as the video doesn't include seeing the actual players, I'm ok with it. That being said, I'd be ok with seeing the players as long as they don't look like the folks that game at my flgs.

IcedCrow
13-09-2006, 19:35
You'd probably see legs and hands for the most part. And at the end an interview.

Dtrik
13-09-2006, 19:41
Maybe two brief interviews, one as opening thoughts/plans and one as final thoughts. Depending on how you did the turns I think it could be really cool. Maybe film the whole game and then edit it down to just the movements of the models so they dont have to see all of the idle models sitting while dice are rolled, rules are discussed, etc. Then you could simply narrate over the clips of the turns and it would work out great. Id sure love to watch them.

IcedCrow
13-09-2006, 19:42
I lack the equipment to film a whole game. My cheesy digital camera only has 10 meg storage which is 1 minute of video heh. I have to record, run to the PC and download, come back, record. Repeat.

Dtrik
13-09-2006, 19:43
eh, that'd work to, as long as there is a computer nearby:p

robertsjf
13-09-2006, 20:54
You'd probably see legs and hands for the most part.

As long as they aren't bare legs I should be ok....