PDA

View Full Version : Pertaining to the thread about the Assault Cannon

AtlantianWarrior
13-09-2006, 18:48
This poll pertains to Do the assault cannon rules/points need changing? (Revised)

How many of you are going to make House Rules about the Assasult Cannon?

marv335
13-09-2006, 20:56
nope, there is no need.
the rules work fine as they are. they don't really feature much in my gaming group anyway.

xibo
13-09-2006, 21:03
What's all this whining about smurfs ass cannon that is done since the last week?
Yes, I know it is the best shooting weapon in the game ( besides of range, maybe ), but still it's not the only cheesy thing.
Do you do house rules to forbid 4 pie plates to iron warriors, or against 3 wraithlords in <750P?
Making intensive use of it is no better than the nine oblits four defilers combo we all know or can imagine. Your opponent CAN do it, but you allways can say you don't want to play against beardy thingies.

RampagingRavener
13-09-2006, 21:05
No, because I feel it is unfair to inflict a restriction on someones army list, just because you feel it is overpowered. "Global" rules, which affect all players equally, are fine. But I wouldn't even consider forcing a SM player to only have his Assault Cannons fire three shots if he wanted to play against me.

AtlantianWarrior
13-09-2006, 21:38
Myself and the group will not be making any house rules for the assault cannon either.

UnRiggable
13-09-2006, 22:47
They are hard to get! That makes it great.

Tymell
03-10-2006, 17:28
Holy crud, I voted before viewing results and then noticed I'm the only one who said yes! :D

luchog
03-10-2006, 19:55
Holy crud, I voted before viewing results and then noticed I'm the only one who said yes! :D

Since the only place local to me I can play is the GW Battle Bunker, it's not an option for me.

ArtificerArmour
03-10-2006, 19:59
Yes, it's the best weapon in the game. But something has to be. I wish people would stop going on about it.

Gen_eV
03-10-2006, 20:00
Personally, I think dropping to 3 rending shots would still leave them nasty, but I'm not the type to make up house rules because of scary guns. As a Godzilla player, four rending shots/turn on a 2+save powerfisted guy is bleeding scary - they're worse than Starcannons, as they just don't die to my shooting, and will probably hammer anything short of a huge genestealer squad if charged.

However, them's the rules, so I'll just have to live with 'em. Making house rules is a bit of fun to allow me to take cool stuff, not to reduce the effectiveness of my opponent's units.

artificer
03-10-2006, 20:10
nope.

there's plenty of uber-powerful stuff in the game. necrons have their monolith, eldar the star cannon (soon to be down graded a bit), oblits en-force, infiltrating genestealers, etc.

One of those things that makes the game interesting is working around the enemies strengths. Otherwise it could be a pretty boring game.

mooserehab86
03-10-2006, 21:11
The only time I make house rules is when it comes to a rules-interpretation issue. If something in the rulebook/codex could be confused or interpretted in different/conflicting ways, then my friends and I will usually make a house rule to resolve the issue until a FAQ comes out. There is nothing about the assault cannon rules that is debatable - it's a very powerful weapon, but the rules stand as they are. Whether I like it or not, I won't blatantly change the rules to fit my preferences.

Baneboss
03-10-2006, 21:14
I dont like assault cannon design at all but thats not the point to make a house rule.

Its not that this weapon is imbalanced. Far from it. This weapon just shouldnt be better at anti infantry than heavy bolter or anti tank than lascannon at the same time. It makes other weapon options for dreads and speeders obsolete.

Tymell
04-10-2006, 03:06
I don't mind very powerful units, of course not. Every army has its strengths, as has been said, such as obliterators, monoliths, whatever. That's fine. My reason for implementing a house rule about the assault cannon is this simple line:

I don't believe that the rules represent properly the weapon, as I see it.

I'd really like the emphasise that last part. This is a house rule only, it's not something I'm trying to get others to take on too. From my view of the assault cannon, the rules aren't right. It's absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with its game effectiveness or me not liking being beaten by them (I actually have more of them than my usual gaming opponents). It is purely an issue, for me, of the rules not being right. I change other rules when I don't think they fit, using armour reduction with AP for example. That's all there is to it. :)

Inq. Veltane
04-10-2006, 03:10
What's all this whining about smurfs ass cannon that is done since the last week?
Yes, I know it is the best shooting weapon in the game ( besides of range, maybe ), but still it's not the only cheesy thing.
Do you do house rules to forbid 4 pie plates to iron warriors, or against 3 wraithlords in <750P?
Making intensive use of it is no better than the nine oblits four defilers combo we all know or can imagine. Your opponent CAN do it, but you allways can say you don't want to play against beardy thingies.

Actually in games under 1000 points we play with a reduced FoC chart. It helps to keep things balanced (Combat Patrol rules upto 749 points, 1-2-6-2-2 from 750-1000).

Anyway, the AC is undercosted (and maybe should have just three shots, or not be rending) but plenty of other things are miscosted too. If somebody was being abusive maybe we'd do something about it but as it is we just let it fly.