PDA

View Full Version : D&D. I need a good plot.

nurgle_boy
25-06-2005, 10:49
ok, im going to be playing some D&D over summer, but the only problem, is i need a plot.

the party is starting all at lvl3, and we have a halfling rogue, elven fighter, and some other character, currently unknown. all neutral.

i have some dungeon maps and tiles, and some grassland ones.

i did think about generlised treasure hunting, or possebly an evil necromancer/nasty man.

so, anyone have any nice ideas??

Brandir
25-06-2005, 10:52
Why not try that old standby, searching old ruins?

Perhaps try someting along the lines of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

x-esiv-4c
25-06-2005, 15:03
Are you looking for a Dungeon crawl or something more complex?

Rathgar
25-06-2005, 18:11
Where's it set? Forgotten Realms? Or have you made a place up?

nurgle_boy
25-06-2005, 19:07
im making up a place.

billr
25-06-2005, 19:33
I would not recommend the necromancer as villian thing. Low level characters v.s. lots of undead is a tough unless you just wanted them to start discovering evidence of it e.g. excessive zombism in nearby villages/swamps etc... but not discover who/what is behind it until they can afford to start facing undead that start draining levels.

They do still do that right?

x-esiv-4c
25-06-2005, 19:36
I love planescape games, so much versility. Throw them into a plane that is somewhat tame, then a few levels later throw them into the abyss and let them take on Jublex for a while :)

Brother Othorio
25-06-2005, 20:15
put a few major towns around, with villages scattered about in between, have various factions vying for power either (churches, guilds etc) and have the PC's do various jobs for the factions (dungeonhacks, assassinations, courier jobs, bodyguard work) including a not-nice powerhungry (but not too powerful) faction which should hopefully earn the players dislike (due to being not-nice), eventually start to throw in dark deeds (eg: whilst travelling from A to B on a mission they stumble across a slaughtered village) leading to lots of finger pointing amongst the various factions, but then reveal the dark deeds to have been carried out by some really really evil force nobody has ever heard of (extradimensional or extraterrestrial baddies, or even just an evil empire from across the sea..) thereby forcing all the factions to join forces.. and have the PC's dragged into the middle of it (eg: leading a force of the not-nice factions soldiers into battle..)

theimp
25-06-2005, 20:19
Have a relative of one of the PCs kidnapped. Let them figure out who did it an why they did it on their own.

nurgle_boy
25-06-2005, 21:49
these are all great ideas.
brother othorio, yours is intreguing, and it would let the same characters effectivly play forever (if we wanted, though unlikely)

also, im big on riddles, and i like to wath the pc's squirm when they get it wrong and are hit by an arrow trap after doing something wrong.

also, other cryptic things as well.

does anyone know any sites with nice maps that you can work from on?

also, lvl3 characters, what sort of monsters are easy, medium, and hard for them to fight against? just for an idea of what to fill my dungeons/other places with.

Bruen
25-06-2005, 23:26
How about something like this:

Start off in some large town with the skint party being hired as guards to a merchant.

So they travel with the merchant and wagon(s) plus assorted hangers-on for a bit, fighting off wolves and easy bandits etc, until they stop at a manor (or abbey or castle or ..... you get the idea). While they are there they eat with the household (merchant on high table party with commoners) and get into some sort of minor trouble (the lords young wife goes after the elf and they get caught snogging or similar). Seed the dinner scene with lots of rumors, mostly false or misleading.

The lord throws them out and is then later the lord (or his wife if you are feeling evil) is found murdered. The party then has to prove their innocence and find the real murderer, thus foiling his evil plot.

The plot could be anything like:

Disinherited older brother after what he feels is his.
Sorcerer trying to gain control of a power nexus/plane gate/artifact under the manor.
A local priest has found out that the lord under the power of an evil sorceror. When the priest tried to free the lord it all went wrong and he ended up killing him. The party can then choose sides and help the priest or sell him out.

I like to keep my options open so you could turn that idea into a dungeon hack (party fighting their way through evil minions), a murder-mystery (the party tried to find out what happened), a political drama (the party trying to keep open war from breaking out) or a bit of all three.

How it goes from here is down to them.

x-esiv-4c
26-06-2005, 03:44
Ohh Ohh, then throw them up against a Tarrasque or the infamous dead-aborted-fetus-god...The Atropal :)

nurgle_boy
26-06-2005, 20:24
Ohh Ohh, then throw them up against a Tarrasque or the infamous dead-aborted-fetus-god...The Atropal
oh dear god, what kind of childhood did you have....

thanks for the ideas guys, but i think the idea of a large city, with the pc's almost doing work for other, or npc's handing out quests will be it.

x-esiv-4c
26-06-2005, 21:24
One where our DM constantly placed us against creatures WAY too strong to fight.

Lvl 2 characters against a Demi-lich....i'm not joking.

nurgle_boy
27-06-2005, 10:18
what... the... hell....
you should stil be fighting kobolds and trogs (and the odd orc)
but a demi-lich....

x-esiv-4c
27-06-2005, 13:52
yeah, he had a superiority complex. If you solved a puzzle too quick a rust monster would jump out of no-where and devour your armour and weapon. You would also start to suffer "Int" modifiers if you didn't take a crap regularly.....seriously....messed up

nurgle_boy
28-06-2005, 10:40
hang on.... crapping and intellegence.....

that makes no sense....

Lord Lucifer
28-06-2005, 16:41
When I can get all the players sorted, schedule-wise, I'll be kicking a D&D campaign off in earnest too
Just given them a taster so far, seemed to like it
And it's going to be oh-so fun, with political intrigue, party troubles, and the works
I'd say more... but they browse Warseer, the bastids (not a moments peace, I swear)

nikolai7
04-07-2005, 22:54
One where our DM constantly placed us against creatures WAY too strong to fight.

Lvl 2 characters against a Demi-lich....i'm not joking.

yeah i know how that feels..

The pestilent 1
04-07-2005, 23:15
riddles are fun and good, but for the love of Bob make the answer sensible.

being asked the riddle "not even the greatest liar could say this" was frustrating to say the least.
especially when the answer was apparently "im dead" :eyebrows:
really.
im dead.
there, i just lied, had she worded it better (errr, "not even the greatest liar could fool with these words" or somthing) then maybe.
but this is D&D and it could be a vampire or lich or somsuch.
stupid ******* riddle.

(sorry, just needed to vent about how annoying riddles with no clear cause/effect are)

nurgle_boy
05-07-2005, 09:41
well, it seems that the obvious answer for that riddle would be the truth.

not even the greatest liar could say this
what do liars not say... the truth!

still, riddels should be solvable,

'stony my eyelid and black is my gaze. i can hide deadly traps, but also treasure'
can anyone get it?

oh yeh, its for in a dungeon....

marineowar
05-07-2005, 11:34
'stony my eyelid and black is my gaze. i can hide deadly traps, but also treasure'
can anyone get it?

oh yeh, its for in a dungeon....

I think it's cave. The stony eyelid is the entrance cause it looks like an eye, the black gaze is because the cave would be pitch black, you might find treasure in a cave but you also might find death.

Jeez I hate riddles.

Is there anyone on warseer who knows where I can get into D&D in Sydney, Australia? Somewhere around Baulkham Hills preferably?

marineowar

nurgle_boy
05-07-2005, 12:37
got it in one marineowar!

also, i cant help about sydny, apart from suggesting that maybe you start your own group...
just offer free beer and pizza, and youll have poepl swarming :p

marineowar
07-07-2005, 03:48
got it in one marineowar!

also, i cant help about sydny, apart from suggesting that maybe you start your own group...
just offer free beer and pizza, and youll have poepl swarming :p

I don't really know much about D&D, I don't have the rules and I've never played.
As for starting my own group, I don't like beer and I can't afford pizza :cries: