PDA

View Full Version : Liber Chaotica. A good read?

Baindread
13-09-2006, 23:31
I have a great interest in the background books of WHFB. I own "The loathsome ratmen" and I have read the background parts of all the warhammer books from as far back as 5th edition.

I have been thinking about buying the Liber chaotica books but it would have been quite expensive to buy each book by itself, which was kind of a turn-off. But when I just now checked I saw that I now are able to buy the Liber Chaotica Undivided...or complete or whatever its name was. I hope you understand what I mean. Now to my questions.

Are all the previous chaotica books eg, Khorne, Slaanesh etc included in this one? Any difference from the separate books beside them being separate books?
Also, I was wondering if the book "The witchhunters handbook" (I think it was called that at least) worth buying? From a background point of view?

And I sneak in a little rules question here at the end. How many rare choices does a Giant take when being used as a DOW in for example, an Empire army?

devolutionary
13-09-2006, 23:45
I haven't seen the individual books, but I do own the combined tome that you've mentioned. I can only say that it is a thoroughly excellent book, and it has a rather astounding amount of inspirational snippets throughout. The small references to 40k are nice, adding a bit of prophecy and dimensional twisting to it which, while fantasy purists may disapprove, only helps build on how Chaos works in both games.

Cherubael
14-09-2006, 00:20
Having them all in one tome makes it easier to track the growing insanity of their author, scribbled in red along the margins/top/entire pages. Plus even if you dont like the book, it makes one hell of a doorstop

Prophaniti
14-09-2006, 00:38
The other difference is that the complete book also has the undivided section which isn't available elsewhere.

Seeing as I have the four separate books this is a little irritating, because it's not really worth me shelling out for the few extra pages. :(

Otherwise yeah the book is a good read.

Dr. Who
14-09-2006, 00:40
I'll second devolutionary's opinion. The omnibus edition is well worth it.

To answer your other questions:

Haven't read the Witchhunter book.

The Giant takes 1 rare slot IIRC.

- Dr.

IcedCrow
14-09-2006, 01:32
Here's what I have to say about it.

F GW.

That's right.

F them.

F them straight to hell.

I bought all four of the damn liber chaotica books. All four. And then I see them release them all combined WITH an undivided section. So I woul dhave had to buy them all AGAIN!

F Gw.

devolutionary
14-09-2006, 01:51
ermmmm that's a rather daft argument. You may as well get angry at an encyclopaedia for releasing a new edition with stuff they didn't include in the first. The poster was wanting to know about whether or not it was a good book. Do you agree that the series is good?

Shaitan
14-09-2006, 08:57
I am also interesting in the Liber Chaotica... Do you recommend it? Is it exciting to read?

I don't know anything about 40K (I'm a pure WHFB player ;) ) so wouldn't I miss some crucial background stuff then?

UltimateNagash
14-09-2006, 10:49
I think it's a great book. Lots of background that I didn't know. It shows stuff that if written from an Empire Scholars view would be stupid, but as a guy who's seen the Realm of Chaos, it works perfectly.
And I beleive it was only £25. Yes, yes it was.

Jedi152
14-09-2006, 10:52
Also, I was wondering if the book "The witchhunters handbook" (I think it was called that at least) worth buying? From a background point of view?
Right now, we don't know anything about it except the title, and that it promises to be the darkest and grimest background book so far.

So you can expect notes on how to burn people, how to torture suspects etc.

UltimateNagash
14-09-2006, 10:57
I'll probably buy that book for cheap, and give you all a review. At least, when it comes out...

Jedi152
14-09-2006, 10:58
And pray tell, how do you get books for cheap?

Voltaire
14-09-2006, 11:55

Cheating, or communism. Either way its something profoundly evil.

I'm now giving through to buying the Liber Chaotica. Curse you all! When the Witchhunter book comes out, I shall buy that and burn you all for getting my interest in these extras.

Shaitan
14-09-2006, 12:13
Is this Witchhunters Handbook about a specific race in WHFB?

UltimateNagash
14-09-2006, 12:16
Cheating, or communism. Either way its something profoundly evil.

Neither. Read my profile to find out.

Voltaire
14-09-2006, 12:46
As i suspected, communism. Unity amongst workers whom sell books ;)

Damien 1427
14-09-2006, 12:52

Well, I got the hardback edition of Liber Chaotica Complete for around half-price off of Amazon. A weighty tome, and well worth the £15 or so I paid. :D

It's a good book, but can be a bit daunting, simply because of the wealth of information contained within. Also, the scribbly writing can do your eyes in.

UltimateNagash
14-09-2006, 13:46
Right then Voltaire. I'm taking that as an offense (mainly due to the fact that communism doesn't work).
And well, communism didn't work like that anyway - everyone was equal. Thus the flaw.
It's just a privelege for people who work where I work.
Oh, and if it was communism, everyone could have that discount.
Sorry, Voltaire, but I don't like what you're saying (apart from the evil bit - I don't care about that. I choose Nagash as my avatar for @!?!@"?@" sake!).
BTW, what is your Avatar? It reminds me of the Prof from Back to the Future.

Voltaire
14-09-2006, 14:32
Considering I placed a wink at the end of the sentence, implying sarcasm, I shall browse simply over your comments because I have not set out to offend. I am aware communism etc doesnt work and I am also aware of the perks of working in a book store, knowing people who work for one themselves.

Defending yourself in the manner you have is un-necessary, but some clarification on my part is. I am not the sort of poster who makes prolific personal insults or any other such. I just thought a pinch of humour would have been ok.

My picture is Doctor Rotwang from the film 'Metropolis'

Baindread
14-09-2006, 15:17
Right now, we don't know anything about it except the title, and that it promises to be the darkest and grimest background book so far.

Silly me, I got the impression it was already released :angel: . I didn't read the part about release dates and such. Got me all worked up about buying it right now.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers. I really got the impression that Liber Chaotica is a very good buy and I will purchase it as soon as possible. That and Liber Necris of course. :D

Hellebore
14-09-2006, 15:37
Right then Voltaire. I'm taking that as an offense (mainly due to the fact that communism doesn't work).
And well, communism didn't work like that anyway - everyone was equal. Thus the flaw.
It's just a privelege for people who work where I work.
Oh, and if it was communism, everyone could have that discount.
Sorry, Voltaire, but I don't like what you're saying (apart from the evil bit - I don't care about that. I choose Nagash as my avatar for @!?!@"?@" sake!).
BTW, what is your Avatar? It reminds me of the Prof from Back to the Future.

Well considering that there hasn't been a true communist state on the planet EVER, you assertions of communism=evil are flawed.

Had you said, Red Capitalism, or the pseudocomminist regimes instigated in both China and the USSR, I would have agreed with you.

Communism is not evil (I find it amusing you think a world that gives everyone equal rights and equal opportunity is evil, whilst the capitalist world that has produced 3rd world debt gets no mention), any more than capitalism is (although, of all the ideologies, capitalism is certainly one that does no favours for the poor).

The Chaotica complete is a beautiful book, well worth the investment. It is the thickest book GW have ever released, and combines much of the older Realms of chaos books with new information, all interwoven in the ramblings of a madman.

Hellebore

Voltaire
14-09-2006, 15:56
Gosh, this is getting out of hand. IT was only a joke! Cease, disist!

I have heard people saying you migt have some trouble actually reading it, is this true?

UltimateNagash
14-09-2006, 16:25
Sorry Voltaire, I thought it was one of these: :) and not one of these: ;)
Damn my eyesight!

Voltaire
14-09-2006, 16:35
No problems - Its good to see this won't be escalating. Though I am purchasing Liber Chaotica at the end of the month as a result of this thread.

UltimateNagash
14-09-2006, 17:44
Yeah, it's definately a good book, with lots of background (obviously), but really good pictures that would be hard to find otherwise...