PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate it when your idea for a proxy doesn't work.

AmKhaibitu
14-09-2006, 09:14
Heyo, well recently I managed to win Lucidique from the tortured souls on ebay, and I thought "Hang on, wouldn't she be an awesome Keeper of Secrets"

Little did I know the size alone was going to prove an issue, she's too big!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/AmKhaibitu/Tortured%20Souls/th_WIP-Lucidique.jpg (http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/AmKhaibitu/Tortured%20Souls/WIP-Lucidique.jpg)

So there goes that idea down the toilet. And for those of you not in the know, the small figure added to scale is around 6" tall, and the nightbringer is only around 4".

Anyone else had a brilliant idea for a perfect proxy go down the drain in similar fashion to this?

Malphax
14-09-2006, 09:39
I got some Balrog wings as a bitz order for my Daemon Prince and they were something like 8" long each. I blame GW's complete lack of scale on their website. But really I'm just grumpy. My second attempt (Blood Dragon wings from Fantasy) worked absolutely perfectly though. I'm saving the ridiculously huge ones for a Halloween costume or something.

Sakura
14-09-2006, 11:00
I often have problems with models from the same games and race.

Why do my chaos terminators heads come up to my chaos marines mid torso?

Why is so-and-so's head bigger than his helmet scuplted on he belt, and why are the possessed so damn ugly?

Oh yeah, and how do you fit a marine in a Rhino? are they mean to be the same scale? Well obviously not, and would it really be so difficult to make them the right scale with each update? proper scale isnt that much bigger and wouldnt really interfer with the game mechanics.

Try Again Bragg
14-09-2006, 12:01
My friend used the Balrog wings for his 3rd Edition Hive Tyrant. It looked AWESOME! So huge and impressive.

He also mounted the Balrog's head as a trophy on the nose of his Saim-Hann Wildrider's jet bike.

Kamin_Majere
14-09-2006, 12:15
I dont see why the height/scale of the model would matter. Use the coversion power of a xacto knife and reposition her body so that shes in a more dynamic pose.

I do that to alot of my garage kits. Sometimes the original model is nice as is, but sometiems a knife and a bit of green stuff can yeild a better garage kit. Same with this

Atherakhia
14-09-2006, 12:23
have you guys not seen the new Keeper of Secrets?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Chaos/keeperofsecrets/kosf2.jpg

I don't see why Lucidique wouldn't fit in with this scale....
as Kamin_Majere says, just reposition slightly and add a bit of greenstuff

AmKhaibitu
14-09-2006, 12:34
Are you guys insane? reposition her? greenstuff her... this is a limited edition figure... there will be no repositioning, no greenstuffing, no painting.
And in fact I will take a picture of her to show you just the scale factor.

She may have cost less than something from forgeworld, but that doesn't include the difficulty of replacing her.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/AmKhaibitu/Tortured%20Souls/th_WIP-Lucidique02.jpg (http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/AmKhaibitu/Tortured%20Souls/WIP-Lucidique02.jpg)
At her feet are two chaos space marines, and she's also basically as tall as one of my monitors.

Try Again Bragg
14-09-2006, 12:38
Are you guys insane? reposition her? greenstuff her... this is a limited edition figure... there will be no repositioning, no greenstuffing, no painting.

She may have cost less than something from forgeworld, but that doesn't include the difficulty of replacing her.

They were just trying to help you, don't get pissy. If it is such an IRREPLACABLE/SPECIAL figure why the hell are you taking it out of the box?

Wait...Oh God! You haven't opened the box have you!?! Jesus, you're crazy.:eek: The non-box air is touching her! The humidity, oh no the humidity! :cries:

Kamin_Majere
14-09-2006, 12:42

???
So, i found an original Lina Inverse garage kit and i repositioned it because i prefered a diffrent pose. Its your model, if you gave a crap about "limited edition" you would have never taken it out of the box;) As once you've done that its next to worthless compaired to NIB

If the model is special to you why would you risk it trying to even consider playing 40K with it?

MadJackMcJack
14-09-2006, 12:51
Slap some guns on her and make her into a Chaos Titan

AmKhaibitu
14-09-2006, 12:54
I took it out of the box because it's the best way to appreciate it, I don't plan on selling it anyway. As for using it for 40k, I contemplated how cool it would be to use her as a keeper of secrets.

If I could find a base that would be appropriate, I might even still do it.
But the situation is I lack neither the blades nor the inclination to actually cut this figure, I mean what if I screwed up?
It's like people buying forgeworld and then using for total conversions, a bit here, a bit there.
But due to her size I might have transport issues anyway, something like needing a fair chunk of a tray or something just for her, I have enough trouble with the monolith :D

Still, for a 5000 point force, she might work for an appropriate Keeper of Secrets, she's just too big otherwise.

Kamin_Majere
14-09-2006, 13:02
yeah if your not going to chop shop her then yeah she would be better used as the "big" deamon instead of the normal keeper, though honestly a MC is a MC so it doesnt matter how big she is.

Messing up is always a worry with garage kits. I've ruined a fair few trying to get it down. But i ususally work on 30 dollar A-kit knock offs before i try it on the real thing

Is the kit PVC or Resin? PVC is harder to work with, but on the up side you can always melt it back together:p

AmKhaibitu
14-09-2006, 13:29
Hmm, well I suppose I could use one of her many scythe type weapons as the daemon weapon and pass her off using the rules for the forgeworld keeper.

If this was a garage kit it would be one thing, but it's not and I don't have a supplier for a replacement in any case.

I'm not entirely sure what she's made out of to be honest. I think I read somewhere about vinyl being used, but some of it seems to be more like rubber and some of it is definately metal.
As it is I'm very much thinking I'm going to adjust the lengths of chain to be more in line with the concept art.

I think I might work on figuring out a base for her anyway seeing as she's not exactly the most balanced model in the world (took me around half an hour to get her to stand unassisted, so I might end up at the least drilling a peg hole in her foot for it.

Mind you this is only a proxy until I get around to sculpting my own (although I do know someone I might be able to get a keeper from 2nd hand)

Kamin_Majere
14-09-2006, 15:23
blank CD's Or ruined ones. I've found those to be great bases for garage kits. They're cheap and after a small amount of glue they generally will balance the model almost perfectly, assuming the cast was well balanced/made for free stand originally.

Sorry, i just use garage kit for a general term for these types of models. Only my crap kits are actually garage, most are direct from studio from japan, its just easier to say garage kit as a catch all.

If she is indeed vinyl then DO NOT use super glue as it tends to warp them over time. A good PVA glue will hold the model to a base quite well as long as your not going to handle it roughly. And if the texture is rubbery then its ,more likely than not, vinyl.

Though its neat that there are metal parts to it, thats quite odd for this style of model.

The Song of Spears
14-09-2006, 16:12
Yup, and like you it involved a McFarlane model. I HATE the stubby little legs on dreadnoughts, you don't have to penetrate their armour, or destory them, just knock one over! Anywho, in order to get away from the duck waddling Dread, i bought a mcfarlane mini that had gundam mecha style legs, and i was thinking while looking on ebay, "yeah, 6" should be ok, a dread is like 6" tall... i think..."

actually dreads are only 2.5 inches tall, to my surprise GW uses a smaller scale for its vehicles than would actually match the troops.

but thats not all, i wanted to make a statured deamon prince for my IW. I thought, you know, that privateer press makes some great warjacks for warmachine, a steampunk demaon prince would be cool!

so i found one that had these cool spider legs that were all mechanical and chaos looking, but i didnt stop there. I thought, well what to use as the body? I know a inquisitor model! so i got the inquisitor model, Krash for his big claws and hoses and such all over, and then took a pair of bolt cutter and a razor knife to the warjack (each of these models is over 30 bucks) and made my statured deamon princes. it was laughable. he had these tiny skinny little legs on these HUGE clawed arms, he looked like a caracture of some crab man from the Tick. Suffice to say i tore off the legs and added sentinel legs, which now look quite nice. but that was another 15 bucks, so not this simple DP has run me over 75 bucks and i have a obliterated warjack in pieces in my bits box...

as far as using the Lucidique model you bought, i understand, people may have trouble understanding that the FW slaanesh girl there is only 5 maybe 5 inches to her fingertips, while the Lucidique is prolly over 10" that makes a allready huge model waaaayy too big.

mooserehab86
14-09-2006, 16:57
I recently discovered the Balrog head isn't the right size for a demon prince's body. I too blame GW's lack of scale in their website.

luchog
14-09-2006, 20:12
Heyo, well recently I managed to win Lucidique from the tortured souls on ebay, and I thought "Hang on, wouldn't she be an awesome Keeper of Secrets"

Little did I know the size alone was going to prove an issue, she's too big!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/AmKhaibitu/Tortured%20Souls/th_WIP-Lucidique.jpg (http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/AmKhaibitu/Tortured%20Souls/WIP-Lucidique.jpg)

So there goes that idea down the toilet. And for those of you not in the know, the small figure added to scale is around 6" tall, and the nightbringer is only around 4".

Anyone else had a brilliant idea for a perfect proxy go down the drain in similar fashion to this?

Actually, I think Lucidique would make a fine Keeper of Secrets. The ForgeWorld KoS is about the same size she is. Mind you, I'd rather have the FW version myself for gameplay; but the Tortured Souls models are all very impressive (and I'm a big Clive Barker/Hellraiser fan anyway).

muskrat
14-09-2006, 20:16
I was going to make a recon vehicle squad of buggys and such to use as landpeeders, and bought a few little kid's truck models, the auction gave a description and such, and I thought it seemed just about the right size.

I get matchbox cars in the mail- unknown to me at the tim,e the higher the second number in the scale ratio is, the smaller the vehicle. Cost me like 5 bucks, but still sucked.

AmKhaibitu
14-09-2006, 20:40
blank CD's Or ruined ones. I've found those to be great bases for garage kits. They're cheap and after a small amount of glue they generally will balance the model almost perfectly, assuming the cast was well balanced/made for free stand originally.

I was indeed thinking cd's or maybe even get a trophy base for the solidity of it, the problem being the legs aren't fully articulated and I'll have to do some work setting it up so it would balance and stay attached, but not look uncoordinated at the same time. Maybe even potentially add a peg hole in one of the feet like most of my other models (only 3 of my series 2 figures actually have a base of any nature, bases I find are critical.)

Sorry, i just use garage kit for a general term for these types of models. Only my crap kits are actually garage, most are direct from studio from japan, its just easier to say garage kit as a catch all.

Well it's not really a kit so much, the figure is in one piece and she has 4 accessories, two scythe-esque weapons, a hook with two lengths of hooked chain and a hook on a long chain. The scythes go in loops on her back, double chained hook in her hand and long chain hook draped over her arm.
Other than that, apart from a few points of articulation it's more or less solid and quite weighty.
So I can't really call it a kit, just a figure.
The number of accessories from these things I have lying around, so easy to lose, but so many of them.

If she is indeed vinyl then DO NOT use super glue as it tends to warp them over time. A good PVA glue will hold the model to a base quite well as long as your not going to handle it roughly. And if the texture is rubbery then its ,more likely than not, vinyl. Well it's good to know about not using superglue with vinyl, you learn something everyday, good for flesh, bad for vinyl.

If the PVA I picked up is anything to talk about, it should do an amazing job, it's clear, has a high viscosity, and tacky as hell.
I just hope acetone doesn't have a bad reaction with vinyl. As for the rubbery stuff, that's mainly for things like hair and skirts and stuff, I mean I could actually remove her skirt to reveal the skulpting beneath if I wanted, but I won't :p

Though its neat that there are metal parts to it, thats quite odd for this style of model.

Well if you think about it, making suitably metallic type chains from plastic, rubber, vinyl or what have you never really works. Something just isn't right.
And thus to make the job more authentic they use real fine metal chains.
It's actually not that strange if you think about it.

After all, when we model, we usually try and use real chain to simulate chains and such, it just seems so right. Well at least I do.

Eventually I will try and get the money together to get the forgeworld beauty for my very own, and when I do I'll compare their sizes and proportions for all to see.
As it is I should be getting a GW one second hand anyway, so I'll have to find some brake fluid. But until then, Lucidique should do an outstanding job playing the part of a keeper of secrets.
Or maybe I'll start sketching and begin sculpting my own.

At the very least it's not a soda bottle as a carnifex (bubble-fex?)

Mojaco
15-09-2006, 12:19
FW's keeper of secrets is about half the size of that model, for those interested. Not "about equal". This puppet is about the size of the Eldar titan.

devolutionary
15-09-2006, 12:27
@Mojaco
I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that. Seriously, that's one ******* huge figurine you got there Am. It'll be fine as a proxy, but if you're worried about it, don't do it man. Just leave it on your desk and admire it from behind three inch glass :p