PDA

View Full Version : Question about charging a fleeing unit

Count Slater
14-09-2006, 09:30
I think I may have found something abuseable in the rules. The rulebook states that a unit may declare a charge against any enemy unit within the charging unit's line of sight. It also says that a fleeing unit may only flee as a charge reaction. This means that it's possible for someone to declare a charge against a fleeing unit that he knows is too far away for the charge to be successful just to force them to flee.

I know some people will probably say I shouldn't play with untrustworthy people, and I definitely trust my friends, but I'd just prefer it if the possibility to abuse this wasn't there. So I've come up with a house rule. Tell me if you think it's a good solution or not:

Since the fleeing unit has no option except to flee when the charge is declared, we can immediately measure to see if the charging unit is in range or not before moving either unit. If it would be a failed charge, the charged unit stays where it is; the unit effectively "holds" (even though it is fleeing) while the charging unit makes its failed charge move at its normal movement rate. If the charge would be successful, then the charged unit is forced to flee as normal. Even though we are making the measurement before declaring charge reactions which is against the normal rules, the player with the charged unit cannot decide to do anything except flee so I think this works as a temporary solution until the roolzboyz can give us an offical fix.

What do you think?

Shaitan
14-09-2006, 11:25
If you think such a rule is necessary than I think the above described rule will suffice.

However, in friendly games I really don't think this should be an issue...

T10
14-09-2006, 12:16
The 6th edition clause against unreasonable charges is sadly missing from 7th, I understand. Well, it's a nice house rule and I'll be advocating it locally.

-T10

Blagrot Squigbreff
14-09-2006, 13:29
Yeah we're still going to use the unreasonable charges rule, the example we dreamed up was a Khemri army all charging in the first turn to see what breaks.

eldrak
14-09-2006, 13:30
This also goes for the WLC.

alextroy
14-09-2006, 23:44
Since the fleeing unit has no option except to flee when the charge is declared, we can immediately measure to see if the charging unit is in range or not before moving either unit. If it would be a failed charge, the charged unit stays where it is; the unit effectively "holds" (even though it is fleeing) while the charging unit makes its failed charge move at its normal movement rate. If the charge would be successful, then the charged unit is forced to flee as normal. Even though we are making the measurement before declaring charge reactions which is against the normal rules, the player with the charged unit cannot decide to do anything except flee so I think this works as a temporary solution until the roolzboyz can give us an offical fix.

What do you think?

Seems too restrictive to me. It doesn't differentiate between honest bad distance estimates (I missed the charge by 1/2") and unsportmen-like conduct (So what if it is 16" away from my infantry, the rules say you have to flee a charge).

Count Slater
15-09-2006, 00:12
I understand your point alextroy, but I think it's still unfair for a fleeing unit to be forced to flee further when the chargers can't reach them, even if it is through honest bad judgement, because in this case bad judgement can actually work in favour of the person doing the bad judgement.

Avian
15-09-2006, 08:20
In any case, page 46 specifies "successfully charges", so if the chargers don't have movement to reach the fleeing unit, they don't have to flee.

Atrahasis
15-09-2006, 09:45
Which leaves us another problem, as we don't know if they are successful until after the compulsory movement phase, when the fleeing unit should be moved.

T10
15-09-2006, 10:31
Would there be a problem a) measuring the distance between the chargers and the fleeing unit before moving the unit to see if it can reach it, then move the fleeing unit and b) measure again?

This allows for three options:
1) The unit does not flee: measurement a was out of range.
2) The unit flees but escapes: measurement b was out of range.
3) The unit is destroyed.

-T10

Avian
15-09-2006, 14:37
Which leaves us another problem, as we don't know if they are successful until after the compulsory movement phase, when the fleeing unit should be moved.
Eh? Page 46 has a description of how to do it - find out if the charge would be successful and if so, immediately move the fleeing unit.

Atrahasis
15-09-2006, 14:40
Units that flee as a charge reaction move in the compulsory movement phase.

Charges are not measured until move chargers, after compulsory movement.

Avian
15-09-2006, 14:55
Charges are not measured until move chargers, after compulsory movement.
It seems like page 46 has an exception to this in that you measure both before and after the fleeing unit flees. I see no problem with this.

I personally always measure the distance before a unit flees. That way we can agree on how high the fleers need to roll to get away and there is no arguing afterwards that a player moved the fleeing unit further than the rolled distance.