PDA

View Full Version : Special Characters

ss_cherubael
14-09-2006, 14:45
probably done to death but lets go one more round.

who uses special chracters (especially now that 7th edition is here and things have changed) ?

Which ones do use and why?

and who do you think is the best special character?

And which special character has the best mini?

Voltaire
14-09-2006, 14:52
The Best Special Character mini in my opinion is Mannfred Von Carstein or Vardek Crom in my opinion. They seem to sum up everything that makes their particular race great in my opinion.

DarkTerror
14-09-2006, 15:28

who uses special chracters (especially now that 7th edition is here and things have changed) ?

Typically the players in my group only use smaller special characters (light in points) and usually only at the 2500 or 3000 points levels. Maybe it's just because I've seen him a lot, but I do like the Grimgor model.

The Best Special Character mini in my opinion is Mannfred Von Carstein or Vardek Crom in my opinion. They seem to sum up everything that makes their particular race great in my opinion.

I would agree with that

Voltaire
14-09-2006, 15:58
I have always thought Grimgor would make an excellent Chariot mounted Orc character...

DisruptorX
14-09-2006, 16:06
I don't like special characters and their fancy rules and pre-written fluff. Fielding one smacks of unoriginality. I don't have anything against someone taking a special character (provided that its appropriate for the points range and they have a fluffy reason to do so), but I don't use them personally. I'm also a cheapskate when it comes to my general, I don't like putting too many points into him, which is another reason I'm not a fan.

The models on the other hand, I really like. Some of my favourites are the Emperor Karl Franz (best griphon design in my opinion), Dieter Helsnicht (the new dark elf manticore is simply atrocious), and Queek Headtaker (a converted version of which serves as my skaven general).

EvC
14-09-2006, 16:28
Franz' griffon is almost exactly the same as Eltharion's, tis a nice model though :)

marv335
14-09-2006, 16:47
i don't use special characters.
not in any of the systems i play.
don't like them. i'd rather use a character of my own devising.

rhaberova
14-09-2006, 18:28
Has anyone used Morghor for the beastmen? I used him once in a battle with a friend for fun and he refuses to play me ever again with him. You can't shoot, target, or cast spells on him if you're more than 12 inches away (this includes template weapons and cannonballs that would hit him "turn into dust"). So my opponent couldn't kill him at all. The main thing i did with him is set 10 beast herd units with absolutely nothing on them (so they had leadership 6 without the champion and cost 55 points each) and had them hugging morghor to where they had to take a leadership test or a spawn would pop up. I believe i had around 15 or more spawns by the end of the game and still had almost all my beast herd units. I believe he only costs 300 points too.

Gekiganger
14-09-2006, 20:24
Has anyone used Morghor for the beastmen? I used him once in a battle with a friend for fun and he refuses to play me ever again with him. You can't shoot, target, or cast spells on him if you're more than 12 inches away (this includes template weapons and cannonballs that would hit him "turn into dust"). So my opponent couldn't kill him at all. The main thing i did with him is set 10 beast herd units with absolutely nothing on them (so they had leadership 6 without the champion and cost 55 points each) and had them hugging morghor to where they had to take a leadership test or a spawn would pop up. I believe i had around 15 or more spawns by the end of the game and still had almost all my beast herd units. I believe he only costs 300 points too.

And THAT is why special characters have a bad reputation.

My fave characters aren't determined by rules. They list

All the skaven ones (Especialy 4th-5th edition versions)
Skarsnik, Morglum and Gorfang.
Nagash, Krell and Kemmler.

My fave mini is Death Master Snikch, although all the other mentioned characters come very close. (Yes, including Nagash :p)

Edit: I know this is 40k but Typhus is an amazing model. I use him in my fantasy nurgle warband as 'The Big Daddy' makes an amazing chaos lord.

Cherubael
14-09-2006, 21:35
I dont use Special characters, although i do use their models to represent main list heroes. Of course given i collect Chaos dwarfs and there are currently no rules for Astragoth and Gorduz, i dont really have much choice.

Milgram
14-09-2006, 23:18
Fielding one smacks of unoriginality.

as does having a 'funny cat' for the avatar.

my favourite (released) model is archaon, followed by gubbinz (and hugo le petit if you wanna count him).

as for the rules: I'm not convinced of the rules they gave to characters in the 6th edition. they tended to be uber and only playable in battles with at least 3500 points. there were no 'hero' special characters - besides the un-&semi-officials like borgut or crom. ruleswise I like these two the most.

and no, I can't understand why everyone likes grimgor - probably I'll get one and cut of that head he carries around in his hand and he'll look good...

Dosadi
14-09-2006, 23:32

OH SNAP!

You got served DisruptorX!

Personally I don't have any issue with special characters. In some cases they are not as uber-powerful as ones we can make ourselves out of the army list, and the ones that are clock in at a hefty price. I've never disallowed an opponenet to use a special character. I usually make it a goal to whip said special character off the map. Thereby making my opponent see the errors of their ways.;)

Dosadi

neXus6
14-09-2006, 23:39
I, though I've not actually used one, wouldn't have a problem using a special character, but it would be either on rare occations or because the character has such an impact on army selection, Settra for example, that the inclusion means a whole new army not just the same army with a more powerful general. :)
Also it would only be in very large games.

On the griffons it's not Karls that is the amazing rearing one, that if I remember correctly is just the newest elector count on griffon model and it is easily the single best monster model GW has made. :)

BlackJuju
14-09-2006, 23:44

So many questions.
I do use sometimes SP chracters. With my Slaaneshi Daemonic Horde I use Azazel and sometimes Akekold Helbrass. Well about who is the best I dont know for sure, maybe Azazel and Akekold Helbrass (when I throw some tzeentch deamons) but maybe cause I like them too much and that answer your last question, I do belive Azazel and Akekold Helbrass have nifty minis

Death Whisper
14-09-2006, 23:46
It's got to be Kroq-gar for me. The Carnosaur is badass and his pose is awesome too. As for rules, Hand of Gods is pretty sweet and his spear isn't too shabby either.

EvC
15-09-2006, 00:23
On the griffons it's not Karls that is the amazing rearing one, that if I remember correctly is just the newest elector count on griffon model and it is easily the single best monster model GW has made. :)

Well either you mean this one:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110202130&orignav=13
or the one that is no longer available...

neXus6
15-09-2006, 00:28
Hmm, digging into the online store a bit I found the parts for the "Empire Elector Count on Griffon" I'm talking about with the exception of the wings. :wtf:
The move to make it so hard to get totaly confuses me cause it really is the nicest monster model GW have ever made.

EvC
15-09-2006, 00:37
And in the latest White Dwarf where they show a typical epic battle being fought with the new rules, they show that very model in the Empire army... good one GW!

mooserehab86
15-09-2006, 00:44
For the first few years I played fantasy, back in 5th edition, my friends and I used special characters in almost every game. Nowadays, when I actually think about the concept of special characters, I view them as being (obviously) unique individuals who would be very unlikely to fight in any of our battles, especially ones of such comparatively small sizes as WHFB offers. Therefore, I never use special characters in my games now, although I have no problem if my opponent wants to use them.

DisruptorX
15-09-2006, 01:38

Same avatar I've been using since I first joined portent...

Stalin MkII
15-09-2006, 02:45
I would swear by Grimgore, he's just too anger to leave on the shelf, trapped in his silent scream of pure rage....

He is very expensive but quite good I have seen.

Anyways fluff wise I love the Lichmaster and Krell. Come'n, Ones a crazy disciple of chaos turns undead knight, the other an cool and collected mastermind of the undeath, How will they get along? what ZANY situations will arise? Tune in next week...

JonnyTHM
15-09-2006, 05:09
Hmm, digging into the online store a bit I found the parts for the "Empire Elector Count on Griffon" I'm talking about with the exception of the wings. :wtf:
The move to make it so hard to get totaly confuses me cause it really is the nicest monster model GW have ever made.

As I have this model (it was actually one of the first things I bought on ebay), I've actually looked at it online alot (my cousin plays high elves and she has her eye on the model, and it's good enough to want to just buy her one instead of giving mine up). I believe my conclusion at a certain point was that the reason the wings weren't listed in the online store was that they were also for another model. I can't recall which one, but there is a limited supply of feathered wings out there that would be the right size.

If you have a local GW store, and they have a catalogue, it could be worth looking through it at the pictures in scale and figuring out which ones match... Should you be up for it, I'm willing to actually measure the wings as best as I can for comparison.

snurl
15-09-2006, 07:39
I like the backgroung for Bel'akor. Cool model too. But I don't play chaos.

Gotrek & Felix Have uberbackground but using them in a game is kinda unfair IMHO, Gotrek is nearly unkillable, as is the White Dwarf.

zak
15-09-2006, 08:00
I've never been a fan of Special Characters. Some of the minor ones were good, but using someone like Teclis or the Green Knight tended to take over the game. I've got no problem facing them as long as the is a slim chance that I may actually wound them, let alone kill them.

I've used some of the minor Orc characters as hero's before, but that's about it.

I've just always prefered to create my own characters rather than taking one written by GW and turn the game back into Herohammer.

The best model for a special character is IMHO, is probably the two females on the dragon in the WE book. I don't play with WE, but that model is great.

ss_cherubael
15-09-2006, 13:05
after posting i realised that i hadnt answered my own fething questions!

Ok yes i do use them and quite regularly as i am addicted to fluff so i refight historical battles and my army is straight from the fluff

Ok i play dark elves so i use Malus Darkblade, Tularis and i have been known to use shadow blade. I use them as my army is themed around malus and his army that invades Ulthuan, Tularis as i have massive numbers of executioners in my army and he is only a hero choice, and shadow blade as i play against high elves a fair bit and he fits in with killing high elves very well.

the best special character in my opinion is either Tyrion, Archaon, Teclis or Tularis. Sorry i cant seperate them. they are all rock hard

and best mini goes either to Luther Huss or Archaon
that hammer is awesome (somehow i want to fit him into my demon hunter army in 40k) and archaon is just a beautiful sculpt and easily one of the most intimidating minis ever made.