PDA

View Full Version : how to make cheap chaos knights?

IkuTurso
14-09-2006, 16:36
how to make cheap chaos knights?

jansenm
14-09-2006, 17:21
hmmm... it will be a hell of a job
and not worth the effort.
unless u want them GD quality

Grimtuff
14-09-2006, 17:25
What a fulfilling conversation this is.... :rolleyes:

As it's already been stated, with the amount of modelling work you would have to put in to get a decent sized unit, it would end up being about the same price as buying the bog standard box.

truthsayer
14-09-2006, 17:29
Just use empire knights and a LOT of imagination.

UltimateNagash
14-09-2006, 17:42
Empire Knights and spikey stuff should make good knights - Chaos are fallen Empire people, so why shouldn't they use their old armour, but corrupted?

Grimtuff
14-09-2006, 18:09
Empire Knights and spikey stuff should make good knights - Chaos are fallen Empire people, so why shouldn't they use their old armour, but corrupted?

They're not, Chaos are the northern Norse/Kurgan etc. tribes, besides Empire Knights are WAAAAAYYYY too skinny to make into CK, plus their style is nowt like CW armour.

Pokpoko
14-09-2006, 18:32
my opponent uses brettonian knights and leftovers from beastmen/marauders equipment(and rather liberal usage of craft knife). if visuals are not the top priority than by all means you can use any sort of knights you wish if armed properly(ie. HW instead of lances), especially given the absurd pricing of the orginal ones.

der_lex
14-09-2006, 18:40
If you can't afford 5 metal models, you're in the wrong hobby anyway, methinks.

Pokpoko
14-09-2006, 19:06
why pay through the nose for something that can be obtained cheaper, from the same company and without any loss of quality? not all chaos knights must be true nordic blackmetal warriors of carpathian forests. actually the brettonian look fits more with the slaaneshi theme than the usual models.

der_lex
14-09-2006, 19:11
If you prefer other models because of conversion or theme reasons, more power to you. But avoiding models simply because they would be too expensive doesn't make much sense. When you start, you know Warhammer will be an expensive hobby. If you want to play, you'll have to dedicate time and money to it, it's as simple as that. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Pokpoko
14-09-2006, 19:20
but you can cut costs when you can. this is one way to do it(buying on Ebay is another etc.)
i'm not willing to do it, because the looks are the main thing i like in my army. he is willing to do it, and since he can do it reasonably well i see no reason why not to.
but to each their own i guess.

der_lex
14-09-2006, 19:23
I'm not judging him for doing it. I'm merely calling into question the feasibility of 'Budgethammer'. Converted Brets or Empire knights might work, although they might seem a bit smallish compared to other Chaos troops.

Grimtuff
14-09-2006, 19:30
If you prefer other models because of conversion or theme reasons, more power to you. But avoiding models simply because they would be too expensive doesn't make much sense. When you start, you know Warhammer will be an expensive hobby. If you want to play, you'll have to dedicate time and money to it, it's as simple as that. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Hear hear! My thoughts exactly.

TheWarSmith
14-09-2006, 19:45
One thing to think of when converting knights is that bits ordering 5 horses costs $20 right there.

But if you're going that route, what I'd suggest is finding some 5th/6th edition chaos warriors(the hunchbacks) and either find suitable metal legs, or start warping the legs that come w/ the 5th/6th ed warriors.

Gekiganger
14-09-2006, 19:49
I'm merely calling into question the feasibility of 'Budgethammer'.

Indeed, an army is usualy made from the 'proper' models because they are what they are. Cutting costs is all fine and dandy but they won't usualy cut it against somone who pays the full price.

Cutting costs rarely works in WH. I'd rather spend time waiting until I had enough money then taking cheaper alternatives, waiting and saving isn't a bad trade in return for a good looking army. (I'm only saying 'bad looking' etc because I see no feasable way of converting things to look like chaos knights without spending more than you will on metals)

Maynard
14-09-2006, 20:17
Yeah I think the current models are damn sexy, instead of lookin for alternatives then spending hours chopping up bits and green stuffing.

BloodiedSword
14-09-2006, 21:57
The problem is that Chaos Knights are mounted elite Chaos Warriors. Now, if you compare the size of a Chaos Warrior to a normal human you will realise that they are in fact hulking giants, and that is what earns them their insane Strength and Toughness.

I feel that any conversion using normal human knights would lose that S5, T4, half a ton of plate mail feel that makes them Chaos Knights, so I wouldn't do it myself.. and the cost both in effort and money to bulk them up makes it not worth the conversion.

Rioghan Murchadha
14-09-2006, 23:14
If you can't afford 5 metal models, you're in the wrong hobby anyway, methinks.

I think you mean "If you can't afford GW's prices for 5 metal models, you're in the wrong hobby..."

I can get 5 or more light warjacks for Warmachine that consist of far more metal, and are more complex moulds, for the same price as 5 "metal" chaos knights, on plastic horses.

Neknoh
14-09-2006, 23:18
Bretonnian knights
Beastmen and Marauder Arms
Chaos Warrior banner
Some greenstuff and other spikey bits

Grimtuff
15-09-2006, 00:12
I can get 5 or more light warjacks for Warmachine that consist of far more metal, and are more complex moulds, for the same price as 5 "metal" chaos knights, on plastic horses.

:eyebrows:

Most you get is 3 matey, as Chaos Knights retail at 6 quid each. WM Light Jacks are 8

PP is just as expensive, if not moreso than GW, it's just the relative cost of what you need for a decent force gives the illusion it is cheaper.

FatCat
15-09-2006, 00:17
I think you'll regret it once you're done and throw the money down for real chaos knights anyway. Just save yourself some money and buy them on e-Bay, bartertown, or Great Canadian for that matter. I hate GW's price but they do look pretty good.

rhodeman77
15-09-2006, 01:02
as said earlier shop around on e-bay. I have 28 chaos knights now that I have bought on e-bay. And I didn't pay more than $25 a box. At those prices I just can't pass them up.

AngelofSorrow
15-09-2006, 06:30
I use Saurus Cold one riders equipped with plenty of skulls and khornate symbols oh and dont forget the blood.
They have black skin and red scales and i think they look great
cause who says chaos can't corrupt a spawning pool

no matter what mounted models you use as long as they look suitably chaotic and people can tell at a glance who they worship what the heck

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

Artemis_Quinn
15-09-2006, 06:54
Well, if you want to do some interesting converting (the only kind that I do *grin*) Then you can buy a box of the new chaos warriors, a bok of Brettonian knights, and some green stuff and have a ball.

I was thinking if you clip the bodies of the warriors at about the waist you can probably fit it onto the bret horseman's lower half (which I chose bretts because their lower half can be made wider since it's already 2 pieces).... then you use just the lance of the bretts and the chaos warrior head and shield arms......... I haven't seen the models in person yet or I'd suggest trying to get some sort of flowing action look going on with the capes.

I'm not sure how well this would work since I haven't seen any of these models in person, just pictures, but in theory it could work, even though you really don't save any money until you get about 24 of them..... because at 45$ for 5 they cost 225 for the normal ones..... but this way they cost 175 (2 chaos warrior boxes and 3 knight boxes) then you use everything and have the most unique chaos knights out there.

Me personally I think it's worth it just because I like converting more than a lot of the other modeling aspects of the game (I aactually spent about 5 hours turning the crabzilla defiler into a giant bionic rat..... that's dedication on top of that, without a drop of green stuff)). But it may not be for you, I'm just throwing out an option.

Pravus
15-09-2006, 10:29
This is how I did mine:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Pravus/Fantasy%20Chaos/The%20Army/Core/WIP/th_DSCF0011.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Pravus/Fantasy%20Chaos/The%20Army/Core/WIP/DSCF0011.jpg)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Pravus/Fantasy%20Chaos/The%20Army/Core/WIP/th_DSCF0010.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Pravus/Fantasy%20Chaos/The%20Army/Core/WIP/DSCF0010.jpg)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Pravus/Fantasy%20Chaos/The%20Army/Core/WIP/th_DSCF0008.jpg (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Pravus/Fantasy%20Chaos/The%20Army/Core/WIP/DSCF0008.jpg)

eldrak
15-09-2006, 11:17
A lot of negativism in here.

Use whatever models you like as basis for your knights, chaos comes in all size and shapes.

der_lex
15-09-2006, 12:02
If the submitter had asked for alternatives to Chaos Knights for aesthetic reasons, I don't think there would be any negativism in here. But I, and probably others with me, do tend to get negative when I've spent a lot of money on a cool looking army, and someone comes along asking how he can cut costs. It's comparable to the guy at the pub who orders rum and coke when you buy him a round, but will only let you get a beer when he's buying (or who doesn't buy at all).

That being said, there are some nifty conversion ideas in this thread.

Milgram
15-09-2006, 12:18
well... if it's only the money, a very cheap way is tu buy some cavallry bases and print out pictures from chaos knights, glue tem to some carton and on the base. they will undoubtly look better than unpainted ones. ;)

Sentinel75
15-09-2006, 13:34
If the submitter had asked for alternatives to Chaos Knights for aesthetic reasons, I don't think there would be any negativism in here. But I, and probably others with me, do tend to get negative when I've spent a lot of money on a cool looking army, and someone comes along asking how he can cut costs. It's comparable to the guy at the pub who orders rum and coke when you buy him a round, but will only let you get a beer when he's buying (or who doesn't buy at all).

Wow, so it is the ol' "I had to do it, so you have to too." mentality.

And to the poster who said Chaos Knights dont come from the empire, where did Archaon come from? Chaos warriors are as likely to come from any nationality as they are from the Marauder tribes.

I think that if you can make good looking miniatures for cheaper than the "standard" miniature more power to you.

Given that Chaos IS Chaotic there is no standard for ANYTHING. Too many people seem to be hung up on the size of the model relating to stats.. well it is CHAOS their gods fuel their power, sometimes physically, sometimes less obviously. (thiink about those stories and movies where possessed people show the strength and power of ten men)

This whole thread reeks of GW fanboy elitism, which I thought didnt exist at Warseer. This isnt meant to start a flamewar, just trying to bring some prespective to this thread. I remember when Portent had a sticky post about alternative miniatures and people were excited to be able to find models that could save them some coin.

der_lex
15-09-2006, 13:47
Wow, so it is the ol' "I had to do it, so you have to too." mentality.

And to the poster who said Chaos Knights dont come from the empire, where did Archaon come from? Chaos warriors are as likely to come from any nationality as they are from the Marauder tribes.

I think that if you can make good looking miniatures for cheaper than the "standard" miniature more power to you.

This whole thread reeks of GW fanboy elitism, which I thought didnt exist at Warseer. This isnt meant to start a flamewar, just trying to bring some prespective to this thread. I remember when Portent had a sticky post about alternative miniatures and people were excited to be able to find models that could save them some coin.

Alternate models and conversions, as mentioned, are fine. Heck, in friendly games I'll happily let my opponents use anything as a proxy, it doesn't even have to be a proper model (assuming they're giving a unit a 'test spin' before buying it, or they've just haven't been able to get the models for it yet).

Nobody in this thread has said that you absolutely have to have the 'official' GW models. But if your army looks like crap because you were too cheap to spend any money on it, I do think you're in the wrong hobby.

Milgram
15-09-2006, 14:15
most 'bitbox-conversions' that were made to save some money just looked awfull. some darkeldar with a bretonian head and a terminator arm representing a chaos space marine...

there are many people around that just LOVE to convert models. but I point my fingers on these models and say 'this does not look like any sculpturor could ever have done it and keep his job at GW, PP or where ever.'. but if you come up with models that one can actually say 'ok, this looks good and fitting' (like the knight posted earlier in this thread), it's completely ok with me. but then you've spent hours on them, for me I count in opportunity costs of $35 per hour, and the model is definitely not going to be 'cheaper' therefor.

I for myself only do minor conversions. no ones comes to me and asks 'nice conversion!' but 'where did you get that model?'

ZomboCom
15-09-2006, 23:45
If you really want cheap, just take some empire knights and slap spare chaos warrior heads on them.

They won't look great though.