PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy Battle books as Background

UltimateNagash
14-09-2006, 16:46
The Warhammer Fantasy Battle books by Black Library/Industries. Do they have compltely official backgrounf in them, or some liberations?
I'm just wondering as how much I can take as fact (in a fictional game).

UltimateNagash
15-09-2006, 10:41
I know you people have looked at this, but why no replies???

snurl
15-09-2006, 10:46
Well in Gav Thorpe's book, Grudgebearer, it adheres to the established backgrounds pretty much, but in the main battle at the end there are a pair of Organ guns with the rune of concealment on them, which are not legal in game terms, as you cant put runes on organ guns. Is that the sort of info you're after?

Aside from that it was a fun, easy read.

UltimateNagash
15-09-2006, 10:49
Sorry, I mean the big hardback books for Roleplay, but the books in general would also be a nice answer.
It's more of the established background: is the stuff in Roleplay books good background, or stuff they're making up?

snurl
15-09-2006, 10:54
Well I thought that the Karak Azgal book was good enough to be the next generation of Mordheim.
Yes, there's some made up details in there but most of it holds true to what has been written elsewhere.

Voltaire
15-09-2006, 12:17
IF you are talking about the Warhammer Roleplay, I believe they are trying to bring them in line with the current set of events more and more so believing them as true is a good thing to do really. If they did make them the same timeline it ould most certainly maximise profits IMO.

UltimateNagash
17-09-2006, 14:07
They mention the Mild Breeze of Chaos in both Ratmen and Realms of Sorcery.

sigur
17-09-2006, 14:26
Excuse me, I don't think that it's worth opening a new thread in WHFB background so i'm asking here (hope that UltimateNagash won't turn me into a Ghoul for being a bit off-topic here), so: What is the Mild Breeze?

UltimateNagash
17-09-2006, 16:33
A Storm of Chaos that wasn't windy at all...

Rathgar
18-09-2006, 07:28
There are no hard and fast rules as to what’s canon and what’s not. Basically, every time the studio bring out a new army book that can (and do) change any details about the want (WHW has changed shape several times). This makes it exceedingly annoying to try and sort out any order in our beloved setting, a fact which is oft lamented in the fantasy background forum.

WFRP v2’s books have so far stayed almost exactly in line with information given in the army books and other ‘official’ sources. Not only that, they’ve expanded and made more believable many facets, while at the same time managing to incorporate old background into the current setting. Because of this, you’ll find the vast majority of background nuts consider the big hardback books excellent and accurate sources.

Black Library Background books such as Blood on the Riek are similar. However, the black library novels are a different matter entirely. While some have managed to gain references and mentions of their characters and places in the ‘mainline’ material, they are very much individual writers take on Warhammer. Using the world as a setting; like saw a wild west novel. The give us a feel for the world, but no hard facts.