PDA

View Full Version : Gem of Blood and Killing Blow

BloodiedSword
15-09-2006, 01:58
I was outfitting a Vampire Lord and was looking at the Gem of Blood. How does this work with a Killing Blow wound? Does it protect against it at all? If so, does it reflect a single wound, or "the wound" itself (which is a mortal one and would kill outright)?

Cheers

NakedFisherman
15-09-2006, 03:17
This question has come up before, I'm sure.

Too lazy to look at FAQs, so I'll say it reflects the one wound. The Gem of Blood doesn't have Killing Blow.

Bloodknight
15-09-2006, 03:30
As far as I remember, it reflects a single wound.

Yay, 500 posts.

Festus
15-09-2006, 09:41
Hi

It protects against and reflects a Wound with KB as a single Wound, no KB.

A KB-ing WOund is still a wound in the first place...

Festus

ZomboCom
15-09-2006, 22:24
Hi

It protects against and reflects a Wound with KB as a single Wound, no KB.

A KB-ing WOund is still a wound in the first place...

Festus

Hmm, not always. If it was S2 killing blow against T6, a 6 couldn't wound, but could still killing blow.....

Somewhat of an unlikely event though..

Festus
16-09-2006, 14:17
Hi

Hmm, not always. If it was S2 killing blow against T6, a 6 couldn't wound, but could still killing blow.....

Somewhat of an unlikely event though..
Remind me again: Which S2 attack could in any chance KB an T6 creature? Is there a T6 Creature with US1 or 2 (Us1 in 6th)? Any KB'ing of larger stuff has a higher Strenght IIRC... :p

Festus

samw
16-09-2006, 14:21
Hi

Remind me again: Which S2 attack could in any chance KB an T6 creature? Is there a T6 Creature with US1 or 2 (Us1 in 6th)? Any KB'ing of larger stuff has a higher Strenght IIRC... :p

Festus

Chaos Lord with armour of tortured souls or Orc Warboss with the new +1T armour.

Gekiganger
16-09-2006, 14:23
I remember when this came back way back.

As far as I can remember the discussion went along the lines of.

'The attack causes 1 wound, that wound then kills outright, it doesn't cause as many wounds as the opponent has' Therfore it reflects 1 wound without the special ability -killing in 1 hit- with it.

Gekiga Out!

Edit: Or...a killing blow from Throt after somthing has decreased his strength against a US2+ creature :p

Gekiga Out!

BloodiedSword
16-09-2006, 15:12
Thanks for the input - however, I'm still not 100% convinced. Zombocom's comment in particular got me thinking.

Reading the description of Killing Blow again:

If a model with the Killing Blow special ability rolls a 6 when rolling to wound, he automatically slays his opponent without recourse to a saving throw, apart from Ward saves

Now technically, is the Killing Blow even a wound at all? It makes no mention of this actually being a wound, and as Zombocom says - you can cause a KB without being able to hurt the target at all (in theory at least).

So I'm now starting to lean towards "Gem has no effect on KB".. while the suggestions above certainly make sense, I think this interpretation is more convincing..

EDIT: Of course, something that could clarify this -

IIRC Thorgrim is in some way immune to KB. Could someone with the Dwarf Army Book check up the exact wording of this and see if it sheds any light on this? If for example it says "Thorgrim is immune to Killing Blow and therefore takes a single wound with no armour saves only from a KB" then that would solve the problem. Similarly if "Thorgrim is immune to Killing Blow and therefore KBs have no effect on him whatsoever" would also resolve the issue. The "therefore" is important though..