PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing Through Units

misfire67
15-09-2006, 12:30
Lets say 20 Spearelves are engaged with 20 Orcs from the front and engaged with 5 wolf riders in the rear. The Spearelves lose combat and fail their break test.

Since they run directly away from the unit with the higher unit strength does this mean that they are automatically destroyed since the wolf riders are directly in their way due to the rear charge? Or do they still have the opportunity to outdistance their enemy?

Thanks for the help.

Griefbringer
15-09-2006, 12:56
By my reading, the poor pansy elves still have chance. SRB (small red book), page 41, last paragraph:

"The only exception to this is that units that break and flee from a multiple combat are allowed to move through any of the enemy units they were fighting (as in the case of a nut defeated by two enemies, one to its front and one to its rear), in the same way as described above."

gukal
15-09-2006, 13:38
By my reading, the poor pansy elves still have chance. SRB (small red book), page 41, last paragraph:

"The only exception to this is that units that break and flee from a multiple combat are allowed to move through any of the enemy units they were fighting (as in the case of a nut defeated by two enemies, one to its front and one to its rear), in the same way as described above."

I second Griefbringer. If you use your unit to help break the enemy, then the unit is not standing by to intercept them.

Often, players will have to make a difficult choice between (1) the great benefit of engaging the enemy from the rear and (2) ensuring the enemy is destroyed, if broken.

- Gukal

Griefbringer
15-09-2006, 13:54
Well, in the case given above, the wolf riders still have a good chance of running the cowardly elves down during the pursuit.

misfire67
15-09-2006, 18:56
Thank you both for your responses. That is the way I figured it would shake out. It definitely makes sense that since the rear flanking unit is indeed in combat they should have to pursue.

Thanks again!!

Crazy Harborc
15-09-2006, 19:06
Well, I knew the answer too. Hopefully that means I am ready for game one for the big 07th.

Deployment WILL be more "interesting" from now on;)