PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Kingdoms?

Megad00mer
15-09-2006, 13:57
Hi guys. I'm a 40k player and the new version of Fantasy looks pretty cool. I've never played Fantasy before but I've had my eyes on the Ogre Kingdoms for a while. A big army of fat hungry monsters seems really cool.

Anywhoo, I have a couple of questions about the Ogres.

1) I love the Ogres but I really don't like the Gnoblars. Could I field an effective Ogre army with no Gnoblars?

2) How does the army do? Are they well balanced? Overpowered? I'm not sure but it seems the low model count and Ld of the army could be a big weakness.

3) Any other tips, suggestions, etc would be appreciated. Thanks :D

Sandlemad
15-09-2006, 14:18
1. Potentially. Gnoblars are there to fill a role, rank bonus and as a counterpoint to the low no. of ogres, but they can be pulled off without the little green buggers, particularly if used in an MSU format.
If you don't like gnoblars, how about using halflings as proxies?:)

2. They are... certainly not underpowered. They are very hard to powergame though, fairly well balanced. Needless to say they play in a very unique style, but a lot of OK armies look fairly similiar due to their being a young army and not having the same amount of unit types as older armies.

Ld is a problem, which is why so many people take a tyrant over a bruiser as general. A fair few players also use ironguts as base troops rather than bulls, partially because of the ld.

3. This seems more like general probing but it may end up going to the tactics forum.
Also, don't be a fool, make your butchers and bruisers from the plastic ogres. Easy conversion and far cheaper.:)

Avian
15-09-2006, 14:41
I have a lengthy Ogre Kingdoms Army Basics (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/tactics/ogre_basics.php) article you may want to read, as well as quite a bit of other ogre articles that should give you sufficient tips to do well.