PDA

View Full Version : Penal Legion equipment

Gen.Steiner
15-09-2006, 21:11
Alright, I'm about to start a Penal Legion Guard army, and I was wondering what weapons and equipment they should have. Human Bombs obviously - Demo Charges take care of that one. I was wondering if there's any fluff - apart from the Gave Thorpe novels - that describe the kit of Penal Legions in any detail.

I was thinking:

No Lascannons.
No Plasma weaponry at all.
No power weapons or fists on anyone but the Commissars.
No Leman Russes. But Chimeras, Griffons and Sentinels'd be OK?

Also, would Conscripts be a good Doctrine to represent the Beastmen and other abhumans...?

Kegluneq
15-09-2006, 21:25
Penal legions have appeared in a range of short stories and books, and typically are ultimate cannon fodder. Autoguns and lasguns all round then, and bugger all vehicles. You could probably justify very limited heavy weapon use - since otherwise they'd be worthless as an army - but lascannons and plasma weaponry is almost certainly out.

You could probably get away with the odd hard doctrine though - these people are criminals for a reason, and you'll get a lot of pent up aggression in the ranks in the situation they're in. Equip them as cannon fodder, but play them as heroes. They've nothing left to live for, after all...

Khaine's Messenger
15-09-2006, 21:46
I was wondering if there's any fluff - apart from the Gave Thorpe novels - that describe the kit of Penal Legions in any detail.

Well, keep in mind that Schaeffer's boys were bit different from some other penal legions. EG, in the first book, they do run into another, differently equipped lot who iirc were only in for a bit of time rather than on death sentences. Of course, that's the Imperium for you...either way you're dead.

And since tanks other than APC's and maybe Sentinels are usually attached from external-to-regiment sources anyway, I don't think there's much of a problem there.

No plasma might be believable, but no lascannons?

Also, would Conscripts be a good Doctrine to represent the Beastmen and other abhumans...?

Beastmen are apparently a no-no now (as has been brought up in the CA article with the various abhuman doctrines). However, Conscripts would be good.

McBain
15-09-2006, 21:47
Dont forget the human bombs.... they were great.... man with explosives strapped to him..... maybe you could use demo charges or something

Strikerkc
15-09-2006, 21:49
if you want abhumans and other beast men then you should just use those doctrines from White Dwarf.

I'd say the leman russes are fine since the tanks in a 40K game are never actualy a part of the infantry formation from a background perspective (they're attached from a tank company), so your tank drivers would be actual guardsmen crews, not criminals.

Other than that, I think your logic on representing them would work just fine.

Gen.Steiner
15-09-2006, 22:02
Well, keep in mind that Schaeffer's boys were bit different from some other penal legions. EG, in the first book, they do run into another, differently equipped lot who iirc were only in for a bit of time rather than on death sentences. Of course, that's the Imperium for you...either way you're dead.

Exactly - the 13th are the, aheh, elite of the scum. My lot are the, well, scum of the scum...

And since tanks other than APC's and maybe Sentinels are usually attached from external-to-regiment sources anyway, I don't think there's much of a problem there.

Fair point. I keep forgetting that...! :rolleyes: My fault. So Leman Russes might be in? Good stuff. :D

No plasma might be believable, but no lascannons?

Well, you don't want the scum revolting with serious weaponry, do you? I mean, meltas are dangerous enough, but at least you have to get close to use them effectively against tanks. No, Krak rockets will do fine for the Penal Legion AT boys.

Beastmen are apparently a no-no now (as has been brought up in the CA article with the various abhuman doctrines). However, Conscripts would be good.

Mm. Yeh, thing is that my Doctrine points are already a bit limited (Veterans, Chem-Inhalers, Independent Commissars, Special Weapon Squads... and one other) so I was going to use Conscripts (and some converted WFB beastmen :p) to add some extra 40K nastiness. Besides, I can always set the army in the Imperium's past, and explain the beastmen away like that. The main reason I don't want to just use basic human conscripts is because I'll be using Forgeworlds' Death Korps models for the Legionnaires, so I want as few of them as possible...!

Equip them as cannon fodder, but play them as heroes. They've nothing left to live for, after all...

My thoughts exactly!

Thanks for all the input so far, it's much appreciated - keep it coming. :)

Minister
15-09-2006, 23:31
I would think it would depend on which of the (at least) four types of Penal Legion they are:
Penitent Battalions (criminals serving military duty rather than hard labour)
Guard disciplinary units (convicted Guardsmen)
Failed regiments ("as of 5387920.M41 the 79th Bantham is re-designated the 63rd Penal Legion, for gross and inexcusable incompetence on the part of officers and enlisted troops")
Guard regiments from penal colonies (Savlar and such)

Frankly, I doubt the first will get anything much in advance of the lasgun for the most part, whereas the others could easily have any form of equipment. I doubt any of them would have tanks or big guns though, simply because no one’s going to raise an armoured Penal Legion force (let alone artillery).

Chainsworded Codpiece
16-09-2006, 06:31
Let the poor maddaf@kkas have some long-range capabilities...

Model up a two-man Heavy Stubber team;).

With a really short, limited belt of ammo. Behind the ammo feeder, one could model a Commissar or Officer "minder", with a stern eye on the troops, and one boot resting on the bin with the remaining ammo belts in it...