PDA

View Full Version : 7th edition serious rules questions

warlord hack'a
16-09-2006, 08:18
Hi all,

been reading through my SRB and have found a few things I was wondering about, here they come:

1) page 14, Change formation: "A unit unit must surrender half it's move to add/deduct up to five models to/from its front rank. A unit may add/deduct up to ten models if it does not otherwise move at all." ANd then goes on to say that the unit is then rearranged so that all ranks except perhaps the last one are filled up again.

My question: nowhere does it mention the rule of moving maximum twice your distance. While it is obvious that is also aplies to this manouvre it woudl be nice if they would have put it down in writing. Now I can change my 11 wide frontage (2 ranks deep) into a 1 wide frontage, 22 ranks deep by suing this manouvre, somthing I can not even do when reforming.. I am just posting this question to prevent people form once again pulling the 'fanatic slingshot' trick and other such nonsense.. But considering that any models can move only maximum twice their move, this becomes a very complex manouvre to execute sometimes as you are changing frontage and redressing ranks at the same time, it might be wise to reduce frontage one model at a time and then rearrange the unit so you can keep track of how far the furthest models has moved..

2) page 15, Marching: "A marching unit cannot move through difficult or other obstructive terrain or obstacles. It must stop if it comes to these features."

My question: in 6th edition we used to play that you could march up to these features and then when you had reached them you calculated how much normal move you had left and halved or quartered this to see how far you could move into such a feature. E.g.: my orcs are 6 inch away from a forest, I can then march 6" up to the forest edge and then would have 2" of marchmove left, but as I can not march into the forest this turns into normal move (1") which is then again halved to 1/2" as a forest is difficult terrain and halves move. Now, did we play this wrong in 6th edition, has things changed in 7th edition or can I still do this in 7th edition (am confused as it says that a unit stops when marching into difficult or very difficult terrain or an obstacle.

3) Page 16, Obstacles: "It takes a model half it's move to cross an obstacle."
Page 21, Charging: "Chargers move at double their normal move rate, but must make the usual deductions for crossing terrain and obstacles." And in the same paragraph: "A unit may charge across an obstacle, but the unit's charge distance will be halved(for example, a unit with movement 8 that is placed behind an obstacle can cross it and charge an enemy up to 8" away on the other side of the obstacle)."

My question: under charging it first says you follow the normal rules for crossing an obstacle (so it costs half the units move to move one rank of MODELS over an obstacle, so in short you can move only 2 ranks of troops over an obstacle per turn), but then goes on to say something different: it takes the UNIT half it's move to cross an obstacle. I can see the logic behind the exception (wolfboyz jumping over the fence as they charge for the enemy, boyz on foot pushing each other over the fence to get there the first) but I am not certain that this is the case. So what do you say, can a unit of more than one rank deep charge across an obstacle by only giving up half it's move or have they forgotten a line in the rules?

4) page 26, Missile fire from hills: "troops on a hill can fire with one additional rank compared to missile armed troops on flat ground." No problem here, but:
page 9, Hills & elevated positions: "This means that models in the rear ranks of units on the flat may shoot against models standing on a hill."

So if I read the rules: if you are on a hill you can shoot with two ranks only, if you are on the ground you can shoot with all ranks at units on a hill.. So in a missile duel it is disadvatageous to be the one on the hill. Now I can see some logic to this (if you visualize this) but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed.

that's it for now..

ganymed
16-09-2006, 09:02
good questions !!

@1: Yes, explicitly stating this would have been much appreciated (you cannot be too obvious with wh rules :) )

You can´t move a model more than double it´s normal movement allowance except when it charges or when fleeing though, so these rules still take effect.
I think the doubled distance with reforms still takes effect even with enemies close by (so they would march block you, but they would not have an effect on your reform distance).
I think i´ll just mark my farthest away model with a dice and finally measure the distance it would take this model to move to the closest position in the back rank from the new formation. This should be an effective way to see if my new reform is legal.

@2: Afraid marching into difficult terrain was illegal, 7th made this clearer. No fractioning your leftover move, you just stop.

@3 your thoughts are based on the difference between model and unit, i think this is a typical gw lapsus

The rank based movement calculation has been dropped though in favour of a unit calculated movement (also basically lone models are units on their own) .
So basically, if your unit isn´t too deep, it should easily be able to cross an obstacle in one turn, even when charging. Makes sense, because each model only has to cross the obstacle once.
If you want to cross an obstacle , just half their movement wether you charge or move normal, so your 5x2 wolf riders will still be able to charge 8" over a hedge, your 5x4 foot slogger goblins will charge 4".

Happy gaming
G

Milgram
16-09-2006, 09:12
point 4 has been noticed, yes. :)

as for the double movement: the question of models moving more than twice their movement when wheeling is still out there.