PDA

View Full Version : Carmageddon

Arnizipal
25-06-2005, 19:56
I recently reinstalled good ol' Carmageddon 1. It's still great fun if you can look past the dated graphics (at least the first game doesn't have missions *shudders*).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone remembers how you're supposed to steal other people's cars. So far I've only been able to steal ED101's car and I don't even know how I did that... :eyebrows:

Cypher
25-06-2005, 21:46
As I recall you unlock them by winning races.

Carmageddon was an absolutely mad game. Great racing, and some absolutely crazy scenariors. If only the GTA generation knew what they were missing :evilgrin:

skavenguy13
26-06-2005, 01:19
Stealing cars is totally random and seldom happens AFAIK. You unlock everything (even level 5? parts for 300$) when you finish the game. Unfortunatly, There's no big event to finish...you just have to drop down to 1 or 0.

At least, the ending isn't as bad as in the 2nd... A simple race with a big red button:wtf: come on!!

edit: and Stella's car is great! you get a permanent pedestrian zap. Be careful not to get that bonus though as you'll lose the permanent one for the race. I once zapped the 1500+ pedestrians to win with that car. Took about 3 hours :o

Lord Lucifer
26-06-2005, 11:24
You 'steal' cars when you kill the driver, if I recall. I think.
Somehow

skavenguy13
26-06-2005, 11:41
Well in the 46456383 games I played, I remember stealing about 5 cars. It very rarely happens. Must be very lucky. Maybe if you cut the car in half like in Carma2?

Cypher
26-06-2005, 16:49
You 'steal' cars when you kill the driver, if I recall. I think.
Somehow
Now that you mention it I think that's right. You had to completely demolish a car to steal it, as well as possibly finishing the race in the allotted time.

Really ought to have a search to see if I can find this game, it'd be fun to play again.

Jonathan =I=
26-06-2005, 16:58
Oooooo I loved that game.

Stella was my weapon of choice folloed by screwy levi

ithiltaen
26-06-2005, 19:21
Carmaggedon 2 is still one of my favourite games. First one was also great fun, but can't match the crazyness and the violence of the second one. And with Iron Maiden songs! :p

Arnizipal
26-06-2005, 19:22
Well in the 46456383 games I played, I remember stealing about 5 cars. It very rarely happens. Must be very lucky. Maybe if you cut the car in half like in Carma2?
In Carmageddon 2 you can just buy cars after you've destroyed them in the race. No need to break them in half (though it looks really cool).

Now that you mention it I think that's right. You had to completely demolish a car to steal it, as well as possibly finishing the race in the allotted time.

Really ought to have a search to see if I can find this game, it'd be fun to play again.
That's how I win all my races. Start, get ahead of everyone, make a u-turn and run head-on into my opponents. After you've wasted every opponent you automatically win the race.
It could be that stealing cars happens automatically once you've reached a certain rank and wasted a certain car. My rank at the time is only 81, so maybe the good stuff is higher up the ladder.

BTW: If you want to run the game I suggest installing vdm sound and running the game with that, otherwise you have to miss all the deathscreams and pleas for mercy... :skull:

Arnizipal
01-07-2005, 11:59
Carmaggedon 2 is still one of my favourite games. First one was also great fun, but can't match the crazyness and the violence of the second one. And with Iron Maiden songs! :p
The second game was great in all aspects, except one: the missions. If I wanted time trials, I'd play a real racing game. I never got past the thrid or fourth one... :(

skavenguy13
01-07-2005, 13:18
The real tough mission was the 7th IMO. In the airport stage, you had to get an electro-ray and very quickly take the huge jump and get barely over the watch tower. Only way I figured to kill the clowns inside as I tried 76523 times without success to enter the tower (from the jump). But yeah, I admit they're kind of boring. The only real good one is the 2nd in group 10: the Bruise Brothers. I think it's 4:30 or something (you can't earn more time by any way) to crash a wooping 12 :eek: cops.

Jaq Draco
01-07-2005, 14:51
yeah in carmageddon 1, you have to kill them completely, and you usually get the cars

i made it a point, to always kill every car in each race, basically ended up getting all the cars fairly quickly into the game.

kill em all, on each race, is your best bet

Delicious Soy
02-07-2005, 15:18
Not that it really matters though, When I clocked carma (umpteen times:p) I used Ed101's car until I had the tow truck. But in terms of stealing them, I think its completely random. You can also only steal certain cars. Vlad, Screwie, Otis P Jivefunk, the Supercop and one of those gang cars can be stolen, along with a few others, but not the entire field.

Jaq Draco
03-07-2005, 13:49
i always used Ed's that car seemed better than the starter

Arnizipal
03-07-2005, 15:35
Not that it really matters though, When I clocked carma (umpteen times:p) I used Ed101's car until I had the tow truck. But in terms of stealing them, I think its completely random. You can also only steal certain cars. Vlad, Screwie, Otis P Jivefunk, the Supercop and one of those gang cars can be stolen, along with a few others, but not the entire field.
I'm pretty sure I stole every car and the cop riot truck when I finished the game many years back. That's why I keep wondering if I'm missing something when wasting opponents.

x-esiv-4c
03-07-2005, 19:04
I'm currently playing Carmageddon 2 TDR2000, great stuff. That game needs a remake!

WLBjork
05-07-2005, 20:27
According to a guide I read, stealing a car was rank based (probably %chance of failure = rank).

Winning the game unlocked all the cars straight off.

Think 2 would've been better without the end of stage challenges as well. The Airport and the Satellite Dish missions were my least favourite.

Arnizipal
05-07-2005, 21:44
I just noticed Carmageddon II doesn't work under XP. Dang... :(

Anseur
05-07-2005, 22:04
I just noticed Carmageddon II doesn't work under XP. Dang... :(

yeah it does, I got it working by going on microsoft's website and getting the "application compatability toolkit 3.0" from th eir download section. it has a list of applications that can be made to work under XP. you sort of have to use it to install a "database" of changes that it then applies to the PC to make it work. (I dont actualy know what it does, but it worked for me!.) I've found it work now, but the graphics texures look odd and stretched sometimes. still playable though.

EDIT: oh, also, I remmeber having to replace the carma2.exe file with a modified version that make it try and work on xp insted of giving a message saying it cannot run on NT. Can't remember where I got that though.

neXus6
05-07-2005, 22:23
I only ever played carmageddon at a friends but I loved it.
Another vivid gaming memory to go with Dune II, Doom and Wolfenstein.

DisruptorX
06-07-2005, 06:24
Carmageddon 2 *does* work on XP, I have (had) it. As I lost the CD, I had to make my own custom Maiden soundtrack. :D

The downside is that my friends and I could never get the multiplayer to work, as it uses outdated protocols. Carmageddon 3 does not work on my PC. While the single player in that games absolutely sucked, the multiplayer arenas were actually better than 2's.

Anyway, Carmageddon 2 is one of my all time favourite games. The first one was amazing in its time, but 2 really blew it away.

Arnizipal
06-07-2005, 21:41
yeah it does, I got it working by going on microsoft's website and getting the "application compatability toolkit 3.0" from th eir download section. it has a list of applications that can be made to work under XP. you sort of have to use it to install a "database" of changes that it then applies to the PC to make it work. (I dont actualy know what it does, but it worked for me!.) I've found it work now, but the graphics texures look odd and stretched sometimes. still playable though.
I downloaded the compability toolkit (it's 4.0 now), but I don't see how that will help me. All it (apparently) does is make databases... :eyebrows:

Guess I'll stick to the original for the moment.