PDA

View Full Version : completing this damn tyranid army!

TheDrugLordX
16-09-2006, 20:17
Hello everyone!:)

I've been playing warhammer for about 5-6 years now, though the past few months my activity in the warhammer world have become far less then when I first started. It's a little shame, since I've spend so much time, money and effort in this hobby to just let it slip away. So I decided a while ago to create a new army to once again raise my interest and get myself going!

I choose to start with a Tyranid army, I've always loved their models, their playing style and the overall feeling of an tyranid swarm. This is, though, not the first time I start a tyranid army. The tyranids was my first 40k army (skaven being my first army overall) and this is the third time I'm restarting them! (meaning that this will be the forth tyranid army I'm creating). None of the earlier tyranid armies were completed...

For about a year ago I started this army, and over that past year I've painted a total of 16 gaunts of that newly started tyranid army (see how inactive I've become?). Just today I found this part of the forum, and figured that making a 'project logg' thread of my own I might be able to keep myself interested in completing a tyranid army once and for all!

Also, your comments, feedback and ideas would inspire me even further in creating this army. So keep on posting;)

I guess that will do as an introduction. I'll start posting pictures and army list etc later this week or maybe even this evening!

Bloodthirster90
16-09-2006, 23:05
even though i'm niot a fan of nids, i'll probably be watching your progress. Since you're a WFB guy too, why not take a look at my 'Battle for Skull Pass' thread on this forum. see what you think.

I've found that a good way of making yourself work on your minis is keep them somewhere that you'll see them almost everyday. i've left my skull pass minis on the kitchen table (though my dad isn't too happy about it) and I do about 1-3 hours a day on them this way.

Scorpio
17-09-2006, 01:02
I know what you mean about armies and not finshing them. I started with eldar and well marines took over so well ya...Bloods right i leave mine on this table right in front of my TV so i see them a lot...

-Scorpio

TheDrugLordX
17-09-2006, 12:27
Well, I got my minis and paints lying on my desk just next to my bed, meaning that I have to see them once when I wake up, once when I go to sleep and like more then enough during the day!

Pics are underway, you'll probably see some later today!;)

TheDrugLordX
17-09-2006, 18:31
I promised some pictures... and well, atleast I've got one:angel:

Not proud about this one, the model looks waaay better IRL, but atleast you get the picture of how the color scheme is.

Hope you like it!;)

TheDrugLordX
18-09-2006, 17:37
I promised you (and myself) to keep this post updated and well, I got some more pictures!:)

Feel free to comment and critizise!

Scorpio
18-09-2006, 21:34
I dont know why you wouldnt be proud of that guy he looks good. In fact they all look pretty good...better then i can paint.

Also i'm gonna guess you live in germany? Guessing because of the german newspaper your guys are on...

-Scorpio

F4113N
19-09-2006, 02:20
nice! WANTS MORE PICZ!!11! *ahem* i like you color sceme, i love your bases- keep it up. as everone who plays nids knows, once you stop its tenfold hareder to get going again :skull:
good luck!! dont get discoraged :D
-fallen

Disco
19-09-2006, 12:08
I dont know why you wouldnt be proud of that guy he looks good. In fact they all look pretty good...better then i can paint.

Also i'm gonna guess you live in germany? Guessing because of the german newspaper your guys are on...

-Scorpio
It's a Swedish newspaper. :angel:

TheDrugLordX
19-09-2006, 14:53
Yeah.. it's a swedish newspaper!!:cool: Meaning that I'm from sweden and not from german;)

Good that you like the colour sheme. I would do a "painting guide", but I currently only own models that I've alredy started painting.

Anyways, these are the paints I'm using:

Undercoat - Chaos Black
Flesh - Shadow Grey
Carapace - Codex Grey/Fortress Grey
Details (eyes, tongue, tyranid stuff, etc) - Red Gore/Blood Red
Base - Codex Grey/Skull White

I use a total of 8 colours if I recall right... It's really not an advanced colour sheme (though I do mix the colous a bit).

Scorpio
19-09-2006, 15:12
lol woops looks like german to me!

Keep goin man we want more pics!

-Scorpio

Fred_Scuttle
19-09-2006, 15:38
Hello - Nice to see Nids in a slightly original color scheme. Good job - looking forward to more pics.........

TheDrugLordX
20-09-2006, 00:15
I'm soon going to place a large order on the loads of gaunts and warriors I need to make the list I'm trying to create. For those of you interested I'll give you the targeted armylist here. Feel free to comment on the list too;)

Tyranids - 1700pts

----------------------------------------

Hive Tyrant - 225pts
-Acid Maw, Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS), Implant Attack, Toxin Sacs, Toxic Miasma, Winged
-2x Scything Talons
-Warp Field

2 Lictors - 160pts

16 Hormagaunts - 176pts
-Adrenal Glands (I)

16 Hormagaunts - 176pts
-Adrenal Glands (I)

16 Hormagaunts - 176pts
-Adrenal Glands (I)

8 Genestealers - 152pts
-Scuttlers

16 Gargoyles - 192pts

5 Tyranid Warriors - 246pts
-Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS), Bio-plasma, Toxin Sacs, Winged
-4x Scything Talons, 5x Rending Claws, 1x Lash Whip

4 Tyranid Warriors - 196pts
-Adrenal Glands (I), Adrenal Glands (WS), Bio-plasma, Toxin Sacs, Winged
-4x Scything Talons, 4x Rending Claws

Total: 1699pts
Models: 84

HQ: 13%
Elites: 10%
Troops: 40%
Fast Attack: 37%
Heavy Support: 0%

spikedog
20-09-2006, 02:41
Your list looks good but without any high strength shooting what-so-ever I think you may struggle against certain armies.

'Nids should do well just relying on CC but I have found that in game it simple doesn't work like that. An army with lots of skimmers will run rings around this army. I used to play a similar (But lower points cost) list and had my ass handed to me on a regular basis by our local Eldar player.

I think you would be wise to try and sneak some Zoanthropes with warpblast in there just for a bit of heavy support, plus they can be Synapse and that is always useful.

steesefactor
20-09-2006, 04:41
What did you use for the wings on the warriors? I also agree with spikedog. I would try to give the warriors extended carapace. Since they are one of three synapse, its worth the points to protect them from bolter fire.

sic
20-09-2006, 04:51
Interesting list and a cool colour scheme. However you are definately going to struggle against armour and walkers. I find the venom cannon is a nids best friend and theres nothing like the look on your opponents face when you whack a whole heap of his big scary tanks at range. So maybe dump something and get a carnifex? Not only does a carni have a big shooty punch it always draws fire which means your Tyrant wont be getting totally hosed. Maybe get rid of the Lictors and re jig some points so you can get the carni.

TheDrugLordX
20-09-2006, 13:35
Well, since this is the forth Tyranid army I'm building I've played various lists. I've played a completely shooty list. A list consisting of lots of big monstrous creatures, lists with a mix of everything but the last army (before this one) was my favourite; an army consisting of nothing but fast elements! That army I never really completed, so now that 4th edition is realeased (a while ago I know... but this is my first army since that release) I decided to go with that theme again!

So to sum things up; I want a close combat force consisting of only fast assaulting things. I really like the theme, perhaps not tournament material (especially against eldar and mech tau) but having an army I like playing with makes playing warhammer more fun. So that's why there are no venom cannons/barbed stranglers.

When playing tournies... I guess I'll aim for painting score and army composition score. That will probably compensate enough for the lack of playing ability.

I have one problem atm though, not concerning the list but the economics. I have found that just ordering 8 sprues of hormagaunts instead of bying 4 boxes of gaunts saves me about 60 US$. Sure I don't get any gaunts, but I wouldn't use them anyways. Problem is that I need adrenal glands as well, and well, ordering the sprues for just the glands is like 40$... I'm trying to find people with extra glands, but noone seems to have any:cries: I'm still not sure how I will solve this problem...

Almost forgot. I use the Forge World tyranid warriors wings. They're the coolest tyranid warriors wings you can find IMO. Sure a little expensive, but well worth the cost!

TheDrugLordX
21-09-2006, 23:04
Okay... I've learnt my lesson... no more long posts with lots of text!:p

Anyways, I have planned to build a display board to this army. As I dunno when I'll buy my next set of miniatures I thought I might as well get started with the actual planning.

Thing is, I've never done that before, and hoped that you guys could give me some tips in building one?

The thing I wonder most is what material to build it in. Wood or would foam (or whatever the english name for it is:p ) be better?

mattrs
21-09-2006, 23:28
well since you posted in my nids project log i thought it only right to take a look at yours ;)

Looking good mate, i like your colour scheme nice and original which is always good.

I know what you mean about the wings, i'm going to leave mine black for the moment until i can come up with a brilliant idea of what colour to paint them.

I'll keep checking in on your progress when i'm posting updates. Keep up the good work :D

Aekold
22-09-2006, 11:50
Well i must say, these are nice =) myself i am doing an tyranid army on two schemes. Firsty you have HIve fleet LV-142. It and alienid army. All shall be like aliens (The movies) For now it working very very well.

Then ill have my other cool project. Dont have an name for them. But i paint em like wasps, or hornets if you prefer that term. (Getingar iaf du undra =) )

Well im gonna order a big list of things...then ill just try to build a list of it. More fun to have things you love the most eyy?

Anyways keep up the good work!
'
(Vänliga hälsningar Zymran på Gm )

TheDrugLordX
24-09-2006, 18:17
I havn't updated this thread for a while so I think it's time to update. I promised myself to have my genestealer brood fininshed before the end of this weekend, and well, I finished it this morning.

http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C2537/bybglysllve4iyzbilkxnbhhxs7hw6cnkg96lkhrc.jpg

http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C2537/qfb9dlblubwzits7mlig0xhd0fvh73mckmyannqmc.jpg

Not only that, but I also started thinking about how I wanted my display board to be. Well, I havn't done much, but atleast this is a start.

http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C2537/crbjhfdlfry9inue1lz0f7hiemkhc4fzkvalao2dc.jpg

http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C2537/obbqsndlkdlai8ct4lyaphhnr12hfl1plhlxhisyc.jpg

I know that it's hard to see much on these pictures, I don't have much light in my room. Anyways, I hope you get an idea of how it's suppsed to look.

Scorpio
25-09-2006, 00:46
Nice lookin person eaters there;)

Lookin good man
-Scorpio

Alsiaie
25-09-2006, 01:01
Nice lookin person eaters there;)

Lookin good man
-Scorpio

You mean Nice lookin Pants eaters there right? ;) It's looking good so far. :)

TheDrugLordX
01-10-2006, 13:19
Okay... havn't painted much these last days because I had other things to do, but I have atleast finished one of my flying warriors.

Comment please. It's hard to see but the wings are hihglighted.

http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C2582/fybc9m0ll69rjcfoqjjb1inc7t7gn8tro6qrunesc.jpg
http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C2582/vdbyy4elqwbsjooumj4tijnseukgasrvop2hurhrc.jpg
http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C2582/z1bnr6rlqbkejliu3jxr1lnh9sngfv57p6rchjptc.jpg

A wing comparision:
http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C2582/0ebxe6wltb81jv25djmzdpn5ibtg0gcmpj12pk70c.jpg

mattrs
05-11-2006, 14:46
anymore work done ?

Would be a shame to stop now keep at it

TheDrugLordX
10-01-2007, 10:23
So hello again!

Things havn't been going as planned, but just yesterday I found new motivation for my army and so I started to paint again! (3 months since last post... not good...)

I wanted to complete the flying warrior brood, but as I went past my GW store I forgot to buy the only paint I currently don't have for my color scheme (fortress grey). Anyways, I picked up a lictor and started with it instead.

http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C3997/qoc8v77dlgg2miezyjuux6ib68mlbknkod9r5j0xc.jpg
http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C3997/0oc6phcdnfhxmui1ijyey3ixfjcmmq8ijd90ziouc.jpg
http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C3997/wyccqakdv498mwv9aj94hui5ggnm2jd2jf5vakxtc.jpg
http://www.fujidirekt.se/thumbnail/c/C3997/1rcq0dsd2lrzm1vstjewcri61r5mp4boj025ilobc.jpg

ss_cherubael
10-01-2007, 10:33
looking good mate, i like the paint scheme for these guys as its nice to see a dark and subdued look for nids. The flyng warriors look pretty damn good! And the genestealers are perfect i reckon so keep up the good work here my friend!