PDA

View Full Version : Warcrack..I mean World of Warcraft. Is it worth it?

Lord Setra
25-06-2005, 22:28
Well latley I have been hearing about the wonders of WoW and I was wondering is it worth me parting with my hard earned cash.

I mean this is a game I need to pay for every month!!

SO can any of you people out there give me good enough reasons to buy it??

Thousandth Son
25-06-2005, 22:33
To tell the truth, I have heard nothing but good things about it. It seems like a suitably long game that the amount of money spent is worth the entertainment. The only thing that I don't like about it is the overall length of the game, it seems much shorter to reach the "Uberness" then some other MMORPG's like Final Fantasy XI. But that is just me.

Shuya
25-06-2005, 22:48
Unless you have a lot of free time DO NOT BUY THIS GAME it steals your soul it is HIGHLY Addictive unless your like me and get bored buy lvl 40 but i spent too mutch of my life getting to lvl 40

now im considering other mmorpgs then renewing my account when i want to return

Sgt John Keel
25-06-2005, 22:51
To tell the truth, I have heard nothing but good things about it. It seems like a suitably long game that the amount of money spent is worth the entertainment. The only thing that I don't like about it is the overall length of the game, it seems much shorter to reach the "Uberness" then some other MMORPG's like Final Fantasy XI. But that is just me.

It's addictive, has no story to speak of, it is ugly, it will eat up all yout free time and its repetetive. And I abhor the level system. And it will make those who don't play think you're boring who won't do anything else with them. I have a friend who plays? Yes, I do.

But it seem to be fun to play together with other friends.:rolleyes:

/Adrian

Chuffy
26-06-2005, 10:54
NO! DON'T BUY IT!

You shall be consumed and become a MMORPG noob.

If you want to get asl'd by horny geeks while completing quests then play City of Heroes, a much better game, in fact the only good MMORPG out there.

Ravening Wh0re
26-06-2005, 20:13
its good fun, but as everyone says, highly addictive.

also from the early to mid levels, its quite diffiicult because you'll run into gank squads.
these murderin bastards totally ruined it for me. i couldnt finish any quests.

theres also running battles between tarren mill and southshore 24/7

the honour system sucks

Great Harlequin
26-06-2005, 21:27
It is a good game. It's full of new challenges, new people to meet and new quests to take. But it is almost too life consuming. If you are not playing it at least a couple of hours a day it's a waste of your money....

Lord Setra
26-06-2005, 21:28
Well summer is coming up so hopefully that means that I will have some spare time to play around with it.

One question, is it totally online or is there levels offline.

Freak Ona Leash
26-06-2005, 21:31
Completely online. I had some fun with it, like when I got the whole server to hunt down three guys :D It didnt consume my life, but then again, it was my brothers and he took with him when he moved to Texas :cries:

Shining_Spear
26-06-2005, 21:36
I played the free trial and it seemed like a good game.

But, 15$ a month? That's way too much for me. As Great Harlequin said, you have to play a whole lot to get your money's worth out of it.

Also, a lot of my friends have it and it literally consumes almost all their time. It's as if they are possessed.

I'm very strongly against it, but that's just me. Feel free to make your own decisions.

Snoozer
26-06-2005, 21:56
My friend has it...

I haven't seen him in a month...

or heard from him, he used to be always online on MSN, but now days if he even is there its on busy mode (hes playing WoW), a week ago I turned on MSN and saw him there and said "finally you stoped palying", his answer "oh I was just going to leave [MSN] to play some more [WoW] :D ", "see you later" *he goes offline*

I was thinking of getting it my self before I saw what it did to my friend... well that's not the real reson, it's that I don't have the money to play it :D

otherwise I would be playing it all day long

:D

Archaon
26-06-2005, 23:45
Ok..one other perspective from someone who doesn't like online Rpgs.

I played it on a friends account for a short amount of time and i must say i don't really see the appeal.

You buy this game (40-50 $) and pay a monthly fee to run around, bash things and do basically one of 4 available small missions to gain money, experience and/or better equipment.

What's so interesting about that? After a few days, maybe two weeks of intense playing you may have seen most of it and are just playing to increase some numbers.

Again..what's so much fun after this period?

Many of my friends are playing it and i hardly ever see them anymore. When they're not at work they play WoW. When we finally get together to have a drink or just hang out and aonther one also plays WoW it's over because they forget everything else and start talking about WoW.

And it is just my taste but i find the whole graphics engine way too colourful, cheery and cozy.
The game itself i may have found very interesting if there was a sort of gamemaster staff of Blizzard people who basically write an ongoing overall story.

"King xyz declares war on King abc and asks all adventurers brave enough to follow his lead" After the war is over, borders have shifted, famous heroes have died and new ones emerged etc.
Because there is no such feature we are stuck with people who level as fast and economically as possible to be able to bash everything and everyone or people who "roleplay" their characters online (and anyone who plays Rpgs live with other people at a table old fashioned way has to at least admit that there are huge disadvantages online).

So.. WoW for me is a boring, repetetive waste of time but it seems i'm a minority.

LooseMoose
27-06-2005, 01:01
WoW tends to go back to core principles in mmporgs whilst maintaining some good background, its fun because they took all the good stuff from other games and gave it a context.
People play it for the same reason that drives life; personal gain. I spent 9 hours in an instance with 40 other people earlier and throughly enjoyed it. :p

angelofrage
27-06-2005, 01:37
Played the open Beta but didn't really like it, the questing system is pretty poor IMHO.

If you after a good Pay Monthly MMORPG id suggest FFXI, i really enjoyed playing that and only stopped due to real life constraints.

ive since started playing Guildwars, another MMORPG but this time it has no monthly charge, it concentrates on the Questing and Fighting side more than the Stat building and this helps get away from the "grinding" problems found in other MMORPGs.

Id recommend it to anyone wishing to try a MMORPG but are worried about paying monthly fees.

PBGhost
27-06-2005, 05:32
I played it on a friends account for a short amount of time and i must say i don't really see the appeal.

You buy this game (40-50 $) and pay a monthly fee to run around, bash things and do basically one of 4 available small missions to gain money, experience and/or better equipment.

Thats a gross understatement. I really don't see whats so great about 'life.' You are born, you breath, eat, crap and sleep, then you die. You go on fantastic adventures, meet new friends, explore gorgeous landscapes, participate in epic battles, kill dragons, hunt monsters of legend using an array of equipment, skills and magic.

After a few days, maybe two weeks of intense playing you may have seen most of it

No, not really. 8 races, 9 classes, each with a variety of unique quests, towns, locations, enemies. Two continents boasting dozens upon dozens of huge zones, spanning from lush jungles to snow capped mountain peaks to harsh deserts. Thousands of monsters and quests, epic PvP arenas, dozens of instanced dungeons.

Many of my friends are playing it and i hardly ever see them anymore. When they're not at work they play WoW. When we finally get together to have a drink or just hang out and aonther one also plays WoW it's over because they forget everything else and start talking about WoW.

So its not good because its...too good and addictive?

And it is just my taste but i find the whole graphics engine way too colourful, cheery and cozy.

I did think that at first, but after playing the game I realized what Blizzard can do with it. A lot of sights in the game are quite literally breathtaking.

"King xyz declares war on King abc and asks all adventurers brave enough to follow his lead" After the war is over, borders have shifted, famous heroes have died and new ones emerged etc.

Apart from being rather hard to do, its unnecesary. It would take several years for one person to explore the entire world, complete every dungeon, play every class, do every quest etc. Believe me, there is so much content that it doesn't need to be ever changing.

However...Blizzard is working on something similar to what you are doing. There are planned 'World Events' e.g. Opening the gates that guard the Silithid hive, Ahn'Qiraj, with the aid of Thunderaan the Windseeker, re-opening the mystic dark portal through which the Orcs came to Azeroth etc. The reason we haven't seen any of these yet is because, quite frankly, Blizzard is swamped. Within one year they expected 300,000 people to buy WoW--they got that almost on day one. 7 months in, they have over 2,000,000 subscribers. Once they manage to deal with more pressing concerns, they will get to World Events.

So.. WoW for me is a boring, repetetive waste of time but it seems i'm a minority.

Yes you are. :p

-Grimnar, Level 60 Tauren Hunter, Blackhand. Who'd a thunk it? :D

EDIT:

Id recommend it to anyone wishing to try a MMORPG but are worried about paying monthly fees.

While I don't really know how good Guild Wars is, it is not an MMORPG. I don't know its quality because quite frankly the lag is unbearable. I had something like 1 frame every 30 seconds consistently.

NaT
27-06-2005, 08:04
If you don't like MMORPGS then you won't like WoW. Simple. However, the leveling system in WoW is alot faster than most other MMORPGS, meaning its not going to consume as much time as FFXI, etc.

Also, WoW will only eat your life if you let it ;)

Ozorik
27-06-2005, 12:47
WoW is a quality game. There can be no real argument about this.

It is worth subscribing, even if you do only buy the actual game and play for your free month you will still get enough play time out of it to justify the initial cost.

The subscription charge isnt really much of an issue unless you have little money. 11 or 12 IIRC, thats what 4 pints of beer, a weeks sandwich bill? its not much for a month of quality gaming.

Galonthar
27-06-2005, 13:14
I know a couple of people who`ve buyed the game,... and well..... there`s not much left you can talk about with them,.. exept WoW :eyebrows:

I played that free trail thingy, and well..... yes, I must confess its good game, but its not worth the money,.. NO GAME is worth paying every f*ckin month 15 euro`s, or at least, that`s my opinion.

there are so much other and cheaper games around, and whenyou start this,... well you never do anything else anymore

some time ago a spent a week at my cousins house (he also has the game), and he was a great fan of that PvP-honour system,.... but I don`t see the whole fun of it, for it has been made sooo f*ckin crap... in my eyes there`s faaaaar more fun bashing down random creatures along the road from point A to point B, than spending hours bashing about in the poor PvP system (although PvP has become a lot better with that battlefield thing).

allthough it is a good game,... I wouldn`t get it, unless you`ve both got too much money, too much spare time, and are a great fan of the warcraft world fluff (the world, of WoW is damn big & cool,.. I confess)

DisruptorX
27-06-2005, 16:26
World of Warcraft is great, if you can find a good guild. Awesome graphics, great setting, fun quests. It gets rather lame at level 60, but oh well, I have been playing since december and am still going.

Guild Wars is not a MMORPG, everything is instanced, with a tiny player cap. It is merely a multiplayer RPG, and a mediocre one at that. Pretty graphics, though.

Freak Ona Leash
27-06-2005, 16:33
Oh, and getting drunk is a hoot. I spent all the money my level 16 Dwarf Hunter, Brorik, had on booze. That was 49 Silver. Used all to buy 50 copper drinks. Something like over 100 ales or something :D Then, I went to Ironforge and was begging for money. Which is fun when you are drunk because whatever you type in is slurred and random hics are inserted by the game engine :cool: Couldnt walk straight to save my life either. Also learned that beer makes monsters appear lower level then they actually are :eek: Damned ogres...*grumble grumble* Ah well, I am safe in my knowledge that I was the first drunken beggar in WoW, on my server at least. Takes character to do that, takes charm to do it right. Takes a Night Elf female dancing right next to you to actually get people to get over to you though. I swear, those ******* strippers are the limit of my patience. Made a horde toon just to kill them. They took all the money that could've gone to my "Get-Brorik-Drunker-Than-****-Fund" ;)

Galonthar
27-06-2005, 17:08
ah,..... yes of course...........

a good reason to play WoW (how could I EVEEER forget...)

:p :p NOGGENFOGGER ELIXER :p :p

Anseur
27-06-2005, 17:31
I can't get enough.

When you get to lvl 60, there is big raid instances you group together for to get far superior items. There's still lots to do at lvl 60, but the game changes. It's more about customising your character, and learning group tatics than how big a little number is next to your character portrait. Tbh, I prefer it that way.

Karloth Valois
27-06-2005, 18:50
Good game, very addictive.

Depends on how eaily you get bored though, I found I got fairly bored after about 3 weeks even though there was still new stuff to do. Finding a decent guild and some nice people to play with can solve most boredom issues though, but good guilds are hard to find.

Compared to a lot of other MMORPG's WoW is pretty "arcadeish" if you get what I mean. Its bright and colourful and most people can easily get on with the artwork and style of the game (the game looks much better in motion, screenshots look a bit crappy and cartoonish) and its very accessible and really quite simple

Compared so something like Ultima Online or Eve Online it does lack some depth. The reason it is very successful is it is very good at setting short term goals, even at levels 40+ theres pretty much a constant stream of new items or new skills/spells which you attain.

Pvp is cool in WoW and i'd recommend playing on a PvP server, but don't play it for the Pvp only, most of it isn't equal or fair, and having more friends as opposed to lots of skill is going to win the day the majority of the time. Battlegrounds fix this a little though (if you can stomach the ques).

Overall its a very good game, just don't expect the sortof depth of some other older MMORPG's or a mature playerbase for that fact. Just take one look at the official forums and you'll see how immature a lot of the players are (there are plenty of 12 year olds playing the game).

Freak Ona Leash
27-06-2005, 20:26
And get drunk! Its like real life, when you are pissed at that one guy who just ganked you and your buds, go and down some Rhapsody malts or, if you are really want to spend money on booze, a jug of Bourbon :D Ooooo the inebriation(sp?) But dont try flying griffons whilst liquored up, apparently the game makes you crash them if you are seriously hammered. Or so I have been told...

Verergoca
27-06-2005, 23:46
My point of view is like this:

Things that qualify a good game:

-Shotguns
-Choppers

As WoW has neither of these, it is not a good game.

Buy Battlefield 2 now and instantly. It is much better than a MMORPG thingy!

Freak Ona Leash
28-06-2005, 00:11
...WoW has shotguns.

Ravening Wh0re
28-06-2005, 00:15
...and big-ass blades......and gyrocopter thingies.....

Freak Ona Leash
28-06-2005, 00:28
But no motorcycles.

Egfy
28-06-2005, 01:23
closest thing to bikes are mechanostriders, which are robotic emus which you can ride.

PBGhost
28-06-2005, 01:28
Also learned that beer makes monsters appear lower level then they actually are :eek:

Really? I knew all the other drunk effects but wasn't aware of that...Thats a really nice touch. :p

closest thing to bikes are mechanostriders, which are robotic emus which you can ride.

God damned gnomes.. ;)

DisruptorX
28-06-2005, 01:56

-Shotguns
-Choppers

Buy Battlefield 2 now and instantly. It is much better than a MMORPG thingy!

You obviously do not know much about the game, for it has the former. ;)

It has planes, too, but ya can't ride them.

Freak Ona Leash
28-06-2005, 02:01
Really? I knew all the other drunk effects but wasn't aware of that...Thats a really nice touch. :p

Oh of course it is. Esprciaaly when you are a level 16 Dwarf Hunter who sees a Mo'grosh(sp?) Ogre at level 15 and decides that he can kill it. Of course, it was really level 19 and...well, do I need to say it?

Ravening Wh0re
28-06-2005, 02:52
drunkeness also has the added bonus of being immune to fear!
ace against warlocks and priests

Ozorik
28-06-2005, 07:59
Mo'grosh(sp?) Ogre at level 15

Do you still get the elite icon?

Galonthar
28-06-2005, 11:53

-Shotguns
-Choppers

IMO, these are the thing which ***** up games seriously....
I like fantasy, (allthough I`m not a serious fan of WoW, I was, but not any longer)

wel... I know I`m mad,... I suppose I`m the only one on this rock who actually
:skull: HATES :skull: GTA, vice city and that new piece of crap: GTA san andreas,

gimme swords (the bigger, the better), bows, spears etc etc etc, but never guns, cars etc.

sry,,... I just HAD to say that ;)

Freak Ona Leash
28-06-2005, 12:36
Do you still get the elite icon?
Nope

elfatto
30-06-2005, 01:43
Apparently I'm being peer pressured into getting WoW. Kinda says something about the people I hang out with doesn't it :p.

Anyways I value my life, so how would you rate WoW on an addictiveness scale of 1 - 10. 1 being not that addictive at all and 10 being 'get adult diapers so I don't have to leave the computer to crap' addictive.

Lord Balor
30-06-2005, 03:19
I would honestly have to say its easily 11. the Game is pure genious and with two other siblings, the cost is basically factored out of the equaision. Curently working on Baldros, 38 Undead Warrior on Blackrock server!

elfatto
30-06-2005, 03:41
This does not bode well then....

DisruptorX
30-06-2005, 05:38
Apparently I'm being peer pressured into getting WoW. Kinda says something about the people I hang out with doesn't it :p.

Anyways I value my life, so how would you rate WoW on an addictiveness scale of 1 - 10. 1 being not that addictive at all and 10 being 'get adult diapers so I don't have to leave the computer to crap' addictive.

9 - watch your social life crumble. But hey, its worth it. :p

Galonthar
30-06-2005, 14:55
hmm to give it a score,....
I`d say high.... veeery high..... something like... heh, the gods would even tremble in fear, so f*ckin mindboggingly high this score has to be... :p

but in an rating from 1 to 10 ??.... OMG.....

10+++++++++ (and on for eternity)

elfatto
01-07-2005, 21:27
Well I took the plunge and bought WoW and guess what I can't play the damn thing. It appears I need a credit card (something that I don't have) to activate a *******' account. Is there anyway that I can get an account, or do I have to go buy a prepaid card ontop of the $60 I already spent.

Archaon
01-07-2005, 21:47
Uhm..i'll try to put is a nice as possible.

Didn't you read the packaging or the zillion threads, webpages and reviews on the net to know that beforehand?

Maybe there's another way to pay the monthly fee in Canada...check it (in Germany you can pay the monthly fee via your telephone bill or have a standard order at your bank to pay the monthly fee to a Blizzard account).

Leviathan
01-07-2005, 21:52
Hello,

Yup. This game is a life waster.

Had it nearly two months now and I am absoloutly hooked.

There is something about it that makes you want to come back for more.

It's so huge that you never seem to run out of things to challenge you. The fun is doubled when you join a guild or play with friends.

Best Game I've bought in a long time.

elfatto
01-07-2005, 22:10
Uhm..i'll try to put is a nice as possible.

Didn't you read the packaging or the zillion threads, webpages and reviews on the net to know that beforehand?

I was aware of the monthly fees and whatnot, and of the fact that you could pay these fees either by credit card or with prepaid cards. But I was under the assumption that I could pick up the boxed game, play the "First month of pay included" that is printed on the box and then get a prepaid card once the month is up.

PBGhost
01-07-2005, 22:22
Yes, this is the flaw of prepaid cards. You still need a credit card to activate the account, which is just stupid. If you had a credit card to activate the account why would you want a damn prepaid card? This reminds me of other MMOs, where you could mail order prepaid cards--their online store only accepted credit cards. :rolleyes:

elfatto
01-07-2005, 23:07
Do you know if I would still need a credit card number if went out to a store, bought a prepaid a card and then tried to set up an account?

PBGhost
01-07-2005, 23:26
Yes you would unfortunatly. You'll only need it once, and it will never be charged for anything. Have any friends who'd let you borrow it?

elfatto
01-07-2005, 23:38
Thanks man. That saves me a trip to the store and like $40. Yeah it looks like I'll have to get somebody elses number. The friend who convinced me to get WoW in the first place should be willing :).

Nameless One
02-07-2005, 00:48
Well you can use a fake number by solely entering zero's. I know I used that and didn't give me any problems, of course you need to change your subscription to prepaid card at the end of the month.

But during the first month I could happily play with the fake creditcard number.

PBGhost
02-07-2005, 01:14
Thats a really good tip Nameless! I'll have to let some friends know about that one.

elfatto
02-07-2005, 02:46
Well you can use a fake number by solely entering zero's. I know I used that and didn't give me any problems, of course you need to change your subscription to prepaid card at the end of the month.

But during the first month I could happily play with the fake creditcard number.

I shall try that now. Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Nope, didn't work.

Rik Valdis
02-07-2005, 19:41
As I understand it, if you have a prepaid card you do not need a credit card. I cant swear to that as I use my debit card but I am 75% sure.

Lafeel Abriel
02-07-2005, 19:54
You can do it that way. That's how I am playing it, btw.

If anyone's interested I'm Lafie, on Aggramar, Horde side.

elfatto
02-07-2005, 20:54
You can do it that way. That's how I am playing it, btw.

Ok, thanks for that info. I'll look into getting a prepaid card soon.