PDA

View Full Version : Who on earth is malal....

The Keeper of Secrets
17-09-2006, 19:47
...and what does he stand for.

im aware he is the so called "fifth chaos god of chaos itself", but what does that mean??

Kage2020
17-09-2006, 19:58
What does it mean? Absolutely nothing. The predominant reference to him was in WFRP 1, IIRC, and basically amounted to the fact that he was the "anti-Chaos God". Not a god of Law but, rather, a Chaos God that went around killing the servants of the other Chaos Gods...

...As if that is really unusual.

For an online reference, check out this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malal) link.

Kage

Charax
17-09-2006, 20:00
Malal is the chaos god of use the damned search function (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294)

Skrittiblak
17-09-2006, 20:04
Malal is a Chaos God - but naming him the 5th is something of a mistake. GW has repeatedly suggested there are more than 4 chaos powers - but Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch and Khorne are the most powerful so are the only ones worth regular attention.

It is possible that some of the Fallen Angels worship Malal. In any case you will get no better explanation than Kage's link.

Kage2020
17-09-2006, 20:05
Indeed. My first port of call is normally Google, rather than the search function of this forum! :D

Kage

ArtificerArmour
17-09-2006, 20:25
Google, Wikipedia then here. :D

Anyway, yes, unfounded rumours are that the sons of malice are malal servents. They may be a nod to him from a particularly old and geeky member of the team who worked on the chaos codex, but it's far from them admitting Malal is existant in the 40K universe.

Khaine's Messenger
17-09-2006, 22:47
Google, Wikipedia then here. :D

I suppose that's one reason the FAQ keeps stalling. There really are a lot of good resources already.

Anyway, yes, unfounded rumours are that the sons of malice are malal servents. They may be a nod to him from a particularly old and geeky member of the team who worked on the chaos codex, but it's far from them admitting Malal is existant in the 40K universe.

Indeed. GW likes to put "homages" into their stuff, so I would not be surprised if they were a "homage" of that sort. They weren't shy at all about putting "homages" to Moorcock, Frazetta (sp?), etc. in the "spiky bitz" wargear entry in the old 3e Chaos codex. As minor gods of Chaos, no less. :cool:

*EDIT: Also, I should like to say for reasons of personal taste that I dislike the enumeration of the Chaos Gods. Calling Malal "the fifth" is just plain goofy.

Phunting
17-09-2006, 23:03
I suppose that's one reason the FAQ keeps stalling. There really are a lot of good resources already.And yet the threads still come up...

Kage2020
17-09-2006, 23:45
FAQ are like reading the instructions in the new electronic toy you just bought, or was just bought for you. Or those "Please read here before posting threads". No-one ever really reads them. ;) :D

Kage

Drogmir
17-09-2006, 23:47
Ahh the 5th Chaos God. He was basicly the Chaos of Chaos. He hated all other gods. People who fall here are those who hate Chaos so much they turn into Chaos. But GW had some trouble with copyright issues some they got rid of him

Khaine's Messenger
17-09-2006, 23:52
FAQ (...) No-one ever really reads them. ;) :D

But at least they're easier to find. Or they would be, if it weren't for Google and Wiki. :chrome:

The Inedible
18-09-2006, 01:44
While this may be outside of our scope of fluff finding, the Wiki listed mentions speculated Demons of Malal. I am wondering if this is a Canon source or just speculation?

At the very least one could hint at a force devoted to Malal by using a lord with a dread axe and perhaps bloodletters to represent the demons with posessed blades, also you can use the fantasy model of belakor as a bloodthirster to represent an undivided greater demon.

Kage2020
18-09-2006, 03:01
My memory of the background would suggest that it is speculation, but reasonable speculation at that...

Kage

Mabrothrax
19-09-2006, 16:24
The vast majority of stuff regarding Malal on Wikipedia and, sorry but no offence meant, on this forum (as well as the many others) is utter tripe.

Why? Simply because so little was ever written about Malal, and what was was written 20 years ago.

I've spent a great deal of time compiling various forum threads, acquiring old publications, sacrificing lesser beings etc. in the pursuit of the truth about Malal.

I've very recently begun to put all this on a website:

www.freewebs.com/malal-lives

its still WIP, looks a bit poo, but it's worth a quick peek at...

The Keeper of Secrets
20-09-2006, 19:27
THank you, found the website particularly....inspiring, lots of delicious info. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! anyway, so far I've grasped that malal's followers are bred to kill everything chaotic and non chaotic, so should be represented (I wanna do a whole army!) "as mad rampaging killers" :skull:

Ive also had a lot of stuff on the lord guy.

keep it coming

Kage2020
20-09-2006, 21:28
The vast majority of stuff regarding Malal on Wikipedia and, sorry but no offence meant, on this forum (as well as the many others) is utter tripe.
That's because people just love to speculate beyond the realms of the published material. Sounds like fun to me... ;)

Kage

Fish&Chips
22-09-2006, 17:46
Long story short, Malal is the god of true chaos. There is nothing more that he desires than to return the universe to a natural (completely) lawless state. Honor, loyalty, physics, you name it, all bad in his eyes.

the_fifth_horseman
29-09-2006, 12:59
If you take a look at the Kaleb Daark series (prematurely terminated at #3), Malal can be called the Chaos god of Vengeance.

Personally, I quite enjoy the concept and a few years ago wrote a fan-fic on the subject, "Mark of Malal" (http://the_fifth_horseman.w.interia.pl/40kMalalStory1.html), now in a desperate need of re-writing to at least reduce the immature fanboyishness all over it.

Cannoness Radegunda
29-09-2006, 14:58
Just a thought but with his symbol being a skull halved in black and white then surely it must be time for some speculative Ad Mech fluff? :D

Ahhh, Kaleb Daark - those were the days

Voronwe[MQ]
30-09-2006, 20:14
Minor Chaos god killing other Chaos gods. Sounds chaotic. By the way, Law is not the opposite of chaos, it's, simplified, order, although I'd rather gamble it's perfection.

Lord Zarkov
01-10-2006, 20:04
in wh it is the opposite of chaos; where chaos seeks to make everything change progress, law wants to make everything stop and remain the same;