PDA

View Full Version : The Laer?

Twisted Ferret
26-06-2005, 09:29
I encountered this quote
Anyway, don't you remember the Laer? They were the most advanced species ever encountered by humanity and were obliterated in the space of one month. The Imperium can take out anyone if they get the chance to concentrate their forces. by TenTailedCat, and it intrigued me. Anyone got any info on them, in case Google turns up nothing satisfying?

Rich
26-06-2005, 09:50
It is in the IA for the Emperor's Children. Basically, the Laer were the most sophisticated aliens ever encountered by humanity, and it was recommended that the Legions avoid them, but the Emperor's Children destoryed them to prove humanity was no.1.

the link to the IA article is:

http://redelf.h1.ru/w40k/ia/w40k_ia_cote.html

Bmaxwell
26-06-2005, 10:56
but mabye some survied da da duh!

nothing like pointless plot hooks

Nazguire
26-06-2005, 11:11
I encountered this quote by TenTailedCat, and it intrigued me. Anyone got any info on them, in case Google turns up nothing satisfying?

The Laer are the reason that the Emperor's Children Pre-Heresy were so awesome. The Imperial Strategem predicted astronomical casualties, decades of conflict and unrealistic resources that would be required in order to defeat them. The Emperor was on the verge of declaring that they'd be a protectorate..or in other words a world that would be left alone..

Fulgrim being the bad ass pre-heresy he was, decided that it would take a month before he would plant the Emperor's standard upon the dead Laer in victory.

It indeed took a month :D

The pestilent 1
26-06-2005, 13:40
then he turned to slaanesh and became a pansie like most of the chaos worshipers.
almost makes me disgusted to call myself a champion of nurgle.
(and i especially hate the death guard, damn pansies lot'er em :p

x-esiv-4c
26-06-2005, 14:35
You have to wonder how many uber-tech civilizations are out there in that big-wide galaxy....waiting to get cyclonic torpedoes dropped on them.

Typheron
26-06-2005, 14:47
well theres been at least 1 other in the fluff, it was encoutered by lord solar macharnius during his big crusade to reclaim the galaxy for the imperium and he bombed it from orbit with asteroidds when it oblitorated a bunch of the ships sent in to have a look.

Comissar_Severinus
26-06-2005, 15:11
well theres been at least 1 other in the fluff, it was encoutered by lord solar macharnius during his big crusade to reclaim the galaxy for the imperium and he bombed it from orbit with asteroidds when it oblitorated a bunch of the ships sent in to have a look.

:D Good ol' Macharius.

sigur
26-06-2005, 16:03
but mabye some survied da da duh!

nothing like pointless plot hooks

There are no pointless "plot hooks". The nice thing in 40k is that there are so many plot hooks and that there isn't an explanation for everything. Some would call it a weakness of not being coherent enough, I call it a strength. It represents the situation of the 40k universe well.

MorningStar
26-06-2005, 17:02
That is a good point sigur. It also leaves alot up to the players when they design campaigns and what not. Fluff is the best part of 40k IMO

x-esiv-4c
26-06-2005, 17:44
I say the next campaign should feature the most infamous plot-hook in 40K....

Cypher!

The pestilent 1
26-06-2005, 18:14
I say the next campaign should feature the most infamous plot-hook in 40K....

Cypher!

the c'tan did it.
or chaos.
tyranid Geanstealer cults.
old ones.
an inquisitor, under the influence of one or more of the above?

see. not just Cypher :p

x-esiv-4c
26-06-2005, 18:18
Oh no...just Cypher....how cypher is actually the Emperor and the GK were the 1st chapter and the GK primarch is actually the chap on the golden throne and not the big E....

Ohhh yes.

Goblinardo
26-06-2005, 20:45
And a lot of OMGWTFBBQ??? ensues.

x-esiv-4c
26-06-2005, 21:00
For the most part Goblinardo.
I wish they would elaborate on the smaller races. Something more then just.

"We made contract with inter-dimensional hyper beings of uberness....then we nuked them"

Goblinardo
26-06-2005, 21:20
I think you'd need an official 40K RPG for it. As it is, there just isn't room for the tiny races among the "big players" in the wargame.

Besides, it's not like the Imperium always nukes inter-dimensional hyper beings of uberness. Sometimes they Virus-bomb them, too.

Skander
27-06-2005, 09:55
And there´s plenty of space for advanced races outside the reach of the Astronomican.

Barbarossa
27-06-2005, 10:40
And there´s plenty of space for advanced races outside the reach of the Astronomican.

Jup, the fleets of the benevolent and most vengeful Emperor have to catch up on some serious virus-bombing there. Too bad warp travel is so slow outside the astronomican.

Ikkaan
27-06-2005, 12:07
Nice, so many knowledgeable people here - so i´m going to bother you with something i made some time ago. The WH40K species map (http://www.joachim-adomeit.de/wh40k/speciesmap/map.html). I added the info for the laer to it, maybe somone can come up with some info for other minor races ?

The map only includes sentient beings that differ genetically, so please don´t ask for ambulls, donorian claw-beasts, plants or servitors ;)

x-esiv-4c
27-06-2005, 13:13
oh wow, thats pretty cool! This will be an awesome source of information for a codex:Xenos or something like that.

Nazguire
28-06-2005, 11:05
You have to wonder how many uber-tech civilizations are out there in that big-wide galaxy....waiting to get cyclonic torpedoes dropped on them.

Well theres the Tau, they're the first in line...

Morridyn
28-06-2005, 13:48
The Eldar are not genetically different. The difference of the Eldar come from ideaology and lifestyle. Also I keep seeing this here and on different forums that the Dark Eldar are separate from the Pirate Eldar, but the Pirate Eldar of 2nd Ed are the Dark Eldar. If they were Craftworld Eldar that tired of the Craftworld life like the Iyanden Farseer they would just be treated as Craftworld Eldar with no Aspect Warriors. The Outcasts would be treated the same depending on how far they had degraded psychologically. So really there would only need to be 5 Eldar list even going back to 2nd Ed fluff: Craftworld, Exodite, Dark, Harlequin and Chaos Eldar.

Ikkaan
28-06-2005, 14:49
The Eldar are not genetically different.

You´re right. But i hesitate to erase their entries just to "Eldar". Even the Dark Eldar are probably not genetically different from their normal predecessors. I should widen my view to : sentient, genetically different or having a radically different culture :p

Pirate Eldar could exist though. Noone is stopping them from living the life of an outcast.

Lord-Warlock
29-06-2005, 11:29

Talking about Adrantis Five? It took a little longer than that - IIRC they held the Imperium at bay for years until Mach in his infinite, mad wisdom decided to purge them "in the fires of a redirected comet". It's also worth mentioning they were humans (and hence the AdMech weren't too pleased when Mach blew up all their reconsecreateable gadgets).

Twisted Ferret
11-07-2005, 03:33
No, I remember the piece he was talking about. They were monkey-like creatures, or was it spider-like? Lots of limbs anyway. It was in the rulebook, and I have no idea which addition.

TenTailedCat
11-07-2005, 04:07
Wasn't that the world ruled by a computer or giant machine that enslaved humans?

Anyway, did you get the info you were after about the Laer, Twisted Ferret?
Basically they were genetically engineered from birth so that thier scouts could run faster than a bike, their snipers could see for miles with excellent clarity, their naval units could breath underwater and their ship captains were actually a part of their craft.

Fulgrim went to war and did the whole system in under a month with pure troops and vehicals, there was no mention of Cyclonic Torpedoes, He was a bad mother f*cker...

Nazguire
11-07-2005, 04:12
Wasn't that the world ruled by a computer or giant machine that enslaved humans?

Anyway, did you get the info you were after about the Laer, Twisted Ferret?
Basically they were genetically engineered from birth so that thier scouts could run faster than a bike, their snipers could see for miles with excellent clarity, their naval units could breath underwater and their ship captains were actually a part of their craft.

Fulgrim went to war and did the whole system in under a month with pure troops and vehicals, there was no mention of Cyclonic Torpedoes, He was a bad mother f*cker...

Well I'll be damned, they could run faster than a bike?

I didn't know this bit about them.

Just makes the Emperor's Children even better eh? :D

TenTailedCat
11-07-2005, 04:23
"Advanced civilisation discovered by the Emperor's Children during the Great Crusade. They lived entirely in their home system of Laeran.

The Laer prized perfection, and used chemical manipulation in modifying their population from birth in order to adapt them precisely to whatever role they were to serve in life. Their armies contained bio-engineered snipers, divers and warship crews.

The Adeptus Administratum considered that Laer could be made an Imperial protectorate, but Fulgrim disagreed, regarding their ideals of perfection as an offence to humanity. Contrary to official estimates that the destruction of the Laer would take decades, the Emperor’s Children destroyed them in exactly one month, removing all trace of the civilisation from the Laeran system after a concerted campaign on all fronts. More than 700 Space Marines died, and nearly 5000 were injured, but Fulgrim was satisfied."

This is an abridged version of the text. At some point tomorrow I'll dig out my IA and post it verbatim.

Spooky
11-07-2005, 05:44
Awesome Species Map! My hats off to you.

Twisted Ferret
11-07-2005, 06:02
Thanks a lot TenTailedCat, I sure did (find what I wanted). :D