PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Miniatures

Malen Kharn
26-06-2005, 12:48
On army builder, there is rules for a starwars miniatures game :eek:

So, I would just like to know if anyone has any experiance of this game, or the miniatures range. And any links if possible. ;)

x-esiv-4c
26-06-2005, 13:40
I used to play a starwars miniature game WAY back, very cumbersome rules.

I don't think it's the same game however.

Trench_Raider
26-06-2005, 16:15
It probably isn't. You probably played the old West End Games rules. The original poster is probably talking about the new "collectible miniature" game.

BTW what scale are those things? Do they mix well with other figures?

"Trench Raider"

Malen Kharn
27-06-2005, 09:41
I believe I have found it, all the potential for a cool minis range, and they endid up with this. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/setlistbgallery)

I mean look at the droids :wtf:

Still may have to buy some jedi (and of course, sith) though, to be in my new eldar army (seer council, meat jedi council) :D

jazzdude78
27-06-2005, 11:50
True the basic droids did end up pretty terrible
but they did improve upon them somewhat in the following set
the stormtroopers and hoth rebels are still very well done though
PLus i believe there were plans or something for an AT AT model

Rykion
27-06-2005, 18:04
I believe the AT-AT is to be released at Gen-Con Indy. The WotC minis really vary in quality. The miniatures are smaller and far less chubby than GW, probably close to true 28mm or maybe 25mm. The Clone Strike set is the worst of the 3 sets IMO.

jazzdude78
27-06-2005, 20:13
My personal opinion on the sets though is that Clone Strike has the best rare set nearly all of them are yknow combaty I feel much less shafted if I picked up say a spider droid than if I got mon motha

also BTW New set in around 2 months
UNiverse it is supposed to be called I think

Trench_Raider
27-06-2005, 20:28
I believe the AT-AT is to be released at Gen-Con Indy. The WotC minis really vary in quality. The miniatures are smaller and far less chubby than GW, probably close to true 28mm or maybe 25mm. The Clone Strike set is the worst of the 3 sets IMO.

Interesting. I have been considering playing a skirmish game using the D20 RPG system as a core. However my stock of West End Game miniatures is rather low these days and they tend to go for a suprisingly high price on ebay. How do the wotC figures mix with that older range?

of ocurse they would need repainting. they look to be better painted than wizkids crap, but still not as good as I do.

"Trench Raider"

billr
03-07-2005, 14:18
Rykion you're pretty much on the money. I'd say most of the human sized figs are about 28 mm.

These are the best pre-painted figs I've seen yet. One other nice thing about them is that they also hold up to the abuse that my kids dish out unlike the clicky figs.

They also paint up nicely. A local guy has painted a few of his and you can't really tell that they were originally of the pre-painted plastic variety. So the sculpts/casting are pretty nice too.

If you like star wars, then its worth it to pick up a booster box for fun, even if you're not interested in the game.

Olith
07-07-2005, 19:21
I believe I have found it, all the potential for a cool minis range, and they endid up with this. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/setlistbgallery)

I mean look at the droids :wtf:

Still may have to buy some jedi (and of course, sith) though, to be in my new eldar army (seer council, meat jedi council) :D

Bare in mind these are collectable miniatures sold in random packs (apart from the starters whcih have some seeded models).

Thundergod
07-07-2005, 21:06
I LOVED the westend game! Though to be fair it was really my first true miniatures game- about the only thing i really remember from the rules was the wicked following fire with heavy blasters- as long as you keep hitting you keep shooting- good stuff.
The new stuff from WoC is ok- some good mixed with a fair ammount of bad. The game itself is kind of ammusing if you are taking a break from 40k or whatever, the games we played tended to last 30-45 minutes.
As a general rule I tend to dislike collectable miniature games, it just gets to be too much of a pain in the butt to put together the force (no pun intended) that you want to field.
my two cents
TG

jazzdude78
07-07-2005, 23:22
the beauty is that you can use the rules for westend and get relatively cheap access to more minis

additionally rumor has it the AT-AT is slated for November and at a cost of 50 bucks which aint too bad

General Veers
08-07-2005, 13:34
I have about 200 or so Stormtroopers. I bought up and traded for enough Stormtroopers with heavy weapons that I can use them as a 40k IG Infantry force with lots of plasma rifles. :)

I don't play the WotC game but it's fun for small quick gaming if you're into it.

I can't wait for the AT-AT.

I also picked up three ETRL AT-ST plastic model kits as they are pretty much the same scale as the WotC Star Wars miniatures.

I really wish WotC would rerelease Rebel Storm. That was the best set, IMO.

Kiro
08-07-2005, 15:33
Yeah, I picked the Clone Strike starter set up, but I've got no one to play with :cries:
I still think GW should have picked up the license for this instead of LOTR. There's way more stuff they could have done with it :mad:

erion
08-07-2005, 16:35
No way GW would have gotten the licenses. WotC is a subsidiary of Hasbro. Hasbro or one of it's daughter companies have been making Star Wars toys since 1977. They also managed to yank the Star Wars RPG license out from under WEG in 2000 when d20 was released. It was the first licensed d20 game produced by WotC.

Kiro
08-07-2005, 17:24
Well, I still wish GW got it :(

jazzdude78
08-07-2005, 18:20
I dunno bout that sure LOTR doesnt float everybodys boat
but overall WotC did a fairly good job of things
Singles for most models go cheaper than most blisters of 40k and some of the sculpts are nearly as good though they are a different sort of style
My biggest problem is that its collectible it woulda been great to say be able to buy Stormtrooper booster or a character booster but meh model wise it satisfies me

Though had GW done this you coulda easilysee the price of blisters be of similar cost to singles on eBay but then again collectors can pay an awful lot for something

Kiro
08-07-2005, 18:39
Well, I would have proferred seeing what I'm going to get, rather than spending oodles of cash attempting to get one mini I want, but ending up with a load of mini's I don't. It would have been better to play on a "proper" battlefield ala GW games, rather than a mat. GW could've done a helluva lot more with it.
I'd also rather the game be exclusive to GW players. The majority of them at least understand the concept of playing for fun. If you mention anything on the WoTC forums about game balance or playing simply for fun, you get flamed out of the site. Total min-maxers :rolleyes:

General Veers
08-07-2005, 18:53
At least with Rebel Storm I was pulling between 2-4 stormtroopers per pack. That's what made me happy. Plus the storm troopers look good. Unlike the clone troopers. Ugh. They hired a beginner to do those.

I'd rather play 40K with my Storm Troopers than using just a couple in a WotC game. I play at an independant game store and with friends so they don't care the miniatures aren't "GW".

erion
08-07-2005, 18:54
Nothing says you can't play on an open table. 1" = 5 meters and have at it.

Festus
09-07-2005, 17:22
Hi

At least with Rebel Storm I was pulling between 2-4 stormtroopers per pack.
Well, you couldn't, sorry:

In a RS Booster there always was either on (1) regular Stormtrooper or (1) regular Snowtrooper among the COmmons.
One (1) of the Uncommons could have been either a Stormtrooper Officer, an Elite ST, a Heavy ST, or an Elite Snowtrooper. But this was by no means certain.

The average pull of STorm- and Snowtroopers was about 1.5 a booster.
If you just count Stormies and no Snowtroopers, you come to about 1.2

Greetings
Festus

General Veers
11-07-2005, 18:13
Hi

Well, you couldn't, sorry:

In a RS Booster there always was either on (1) regular Stormtrooper or (1) regular Snowtrooper among the COmmons.
One (1) of the Uncommons could have been either a Stormtrooper Officer, an Elite ST, a Heavy ST, or an Elite Snowtrooper. But this was by no means certain.

The average pull of STorm- and Snowtroopers was about 1.5 a booster.
If you just count Stormies and no Snowtroopers, you come to about 1.2

Greetings
Festus I define what you listed as a storm trooper since they're all the same excepting weapon options, training or equipment. I apologize if you think I meant just the basic storm troopers only, #36-#38, that would be only 1-2 per booster.From the boosters I pulled I was getting on average 2 basic storm troopers per pack.

There was usually 1-2 storm troopers and/or snow trooper. It was possible to have two uncommons such as the Elite Storm trooper and Elite snow trooper or even better the heavy weapon.

So, yes, I was able to pull between 2-4 storm troopers. The point I was making is it felt good to pull something that had a storm trooper helmet and it wasn't in a dorky post or poorly sculpted. After three cases I really felt there was no such thing as a "bad pull". OK, the Twi'lek Scoundrel sucked. The Rebel Wookie wasn't too great but I converted a bunch into carrying a Hardened Veteran unit for my "Alliance" 40K IG army. I got so used to converting them I could use more. :D

GreatWolf
13-07-2005, 02:52
This may have been asked... it may have been answered...so dont shoot me for not having time to go through 3 pages of material... :)

I am just wondering how these Star Wars minis would look next to GW minis on the battle field? Too small? To big? Or would they fit in okay?

Thanks all.

Kiro
13-07-2005, 03:01
Too small, I don't know all the measurements and scales, but the Star Wars mini's look a bit smaller.

General Veers
13-07-2005, 13:20
The SW minis aren't "comic" in style. So for example a Star Wars Storm Trooper seems skinny compared to a Cadian. The GW models are thicker and guns are bigger! They're the same height however.

Edit: My point is I wouldn't mix them. Though my SW Storm Troopers (as IG) have fought Eldar and it looked fine. Just don't mix the two in the same army.

Half Eldar
14-07-2005, 16:19
The Rebel Storm set was definately better. Not only do I prefer the Galactic Civil War (because in the end there was a point, rather than both sides fighting for the same thing - Sidious - in the Clone Wars era), but the Stormtroopers look much much better than the Clone troopers, and the Rebels look much much better than the Droid Army, although I'd say the Stormtroopers still look the best, sculpt and paintwise. Not to mention, too, that with three poses of Stormtroopers, along with an officer, and two with different weapons, along with two types of snowtrooper, one more common than the other, and scout troopers and imperial officers, it's got about as much variety as a Steel Legion army, which is fine.

For those of you who used them to play 40k or other games, how did you differentiate units? And the same for the Rebels?

Also, what other rules have any of you tried with them?

Samwuss
14-07-2005, 17:09
Go to this forum (darthmallrat.proboards32.com) for discussion on modifying the LOTR ruleset for Star Wars (major modifications :D ). Hasn't been much activity lately, and the site of the game is down, but I talked with one of the developers a few weeks ago and he said that the project is not dead, but merely on hold until the main developer has the time to resume work. The Core Rulebook is complete, and The Phantom Menace and Clone Wars supplements are finished, but none have been released to the general public.

Anyway, if some one joins the forum and starts posting, I'll be glad to join some discussions.

Samwuss
14-07-2005, 18:29
I decided to add links to the e-mails of the developers of the game, in case someone wants to e-mail them and ask them what's up.

RICK MARSTON

SW:SBG Project Head; Head Playtester; Head of Development (Original Trilogy); Supplement Supervisor (all supplements); Editor

E-mail: rick@swsbg.com

NEIL DARBYSHIRE

Head Playtester, Developer (Attack of the Clones/Revenge of the Sith supplements)

E-mail: neiljdarbyshire@hotmail.com

ROB SETCHELL

Playtester, Developer (Thrawn Trilogy supplement)

E-mail:robert.setchell@gmail.com

JOHNNY McDERMOTT

Developer (Prequel supplements)

E-mail: jony_mcdermott@hotmail.com

JOIN THE MAILING LIST

E-mail: register@elvencavalry.com
Subject: Star Wars Strategy Battle Game

Sorry for the double post, it wouldn't let me post it all together :(

jazzdude78
14-07-2005, 19:26
I dunno about the stormtroopers being the best
my hothtrooper here says otherwise its just amazing the detail that thing has
if only the skin were shaded though

Trench_Raider
14-07-2005, 19:29
For those of you who used them to play 40k or other games, how did you differentiate units? And the same for the Rebels?

I would use the same method I have used in a number of other wargmes and paint some sort of Squad marking or number on the back of the base. Yes, this detracts from the look of the figure to some extent, but can be done small enough that it's not that noticeable. barring that, you could paint this mark on the bottom of the base instead.

"Trench Raider"

Half Eldar
15-07-2005, 03:30
Hmm, I'll look into that forum when I get back from my trip to visit the rellies in Home Country. And as Eastern European as that may sound, no, it's just India, so no Star Wars there. Man, if it were Taiwan... there's so many fans.

Anyhow, yeah, I guess I'll go with colour. Left shoulderpad or something. Have to think about how I can base these as well.

jazzdude78
16-07-2005, 04:17
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Roseo_Chopper/Miniatures/P1010042.jpg
theres an image of comparison with a guardsmen its a bit blurry but itll work
it is a bit big mind you

agisn.de has a good gallery of some repaints of the WoTC figs on new bases

Samwuss
16-07-2005, 15:34
See here (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:rsMKW5sP5XQJ:www.swsbg.com/lightsideprev.pdf+site:swsbg.com&hl=en) for a cached preview from the (currently down) website of the SBG. Note that these are profiles and special rules only, no weapon stats or actual game rules. The stats are based on The Lord of The Rings stats, so you know.

Half Eldar, look into the forum, read the posts, and reply where you want to, and I'll be glad to join you.

Jack Burton
21-07-2005, 07:53
I am an avid swm player and yes the atat is out in november at around 40+, it comes with 2 maps, rules, and a scenario booklet. Star Wars minis also has a great resource in VASSAL, an online verison of the game that can be found at www.vassalengine.org you will need the stat cards from the minis to play, though you could check out the wotc message boards for swm stats collected thread...give it a go , its a great game that translates well to online play. Also they have a mod for wh40k 2nd edition, but i have not tried it. I have been thinking about converting my sepratist army using ig rules and my clone army using sm rules. If anyone has tried this I would appreciate any feedback. give it a go will ya?

New Cult King
21-07-2005, 09:16
Has anyone got a link to pics of some of the Rebel Storm minis?

Kiro
21-07-2005, 12:36
Here you go, NCK (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/setlistagallery). The Rebel Storm mini's gallery.

New Cult King
24-07-2005, 00:36
Heh, thanks mate, you rule :)

Marty D
01-08-2005, 14:31
i hate random booster packs

in fact wait - why doesnt hate random booster packs?

escecially for a minitures game

how much are the booster packs? can i pick them up easily? ive never seen any in any shops near me, the only one that springs to mind is forbidden planet

Kiro
01-08-2005, 14:37
Ugh, yeah I pretty much felt the same way when I first heard about the game. They retail for around 8 or 9 pounds over here. Er, as far getting a hold of them, well any decent comic book/action figure store has got them. I've seen them in Forbidden Planet, Travelling Man, and Toymaster so far. Where do you live? Maybe I could help you look for somewhere to get a hold of them. That said, even if there's nowhere in your locality you can pick 'em up, you can always get ahold of them on eBay...though be warned,

A) because eBay UK sucks in general
and
B)scalpers usually slap ridiculous prices on them

Marty D
01-08-2005, 20:11
i live near newcastle (bout 20 mins on ye olde bus)

theres a forbidden planet and a toymaster there - might have a check

8 or 9 pounds? how many of these models are in a pack? and what are they made out of?

and last question - can i get hold of all of the different series'? the rebel one seems to be the best by far

Kiro
01-08-2005, 23:57
i live near newcastle (bout 20 mins on ye olde bus)

theres a forbidden planet and a toymaster there - might have a check

8 or 9 pounds? how many of these models are in a pack? and what are they made out of?

and last question - can i get hold of all of the different series'? the rebel one seems to be the best by far

You get 7 miniatures (IIRC) in the booster packs, and 10 in the starter set. I don't know the technicalities, but they're made out of a simple plastic. You can get everything to do with the game over here. Luckily for us, it's in full supply...