PDA

View Full Version : Frost's Eldar Revival

Pages : [1] 2

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 00:03
Hey guys. I have an old Eldar Project log on here already for this army, but I stopped it a long while ago because of school and such.

I also didnt have acess to a digital camera, and various personal drama and lack of painting time didnt really allow me to further my progress on this army.

However!

Today I just recieved my new digital cam, a copy of photoshop, and I even finished my Guardian squad!

I'm going to post all of my current progress on this army, and as the evening progresses, I will post new pictures...

Brian

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 00:30
Newness!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Warlock.jpg

chuckyhol
20-09-2006, 00:33
Delightful.

Melchor
20-09-2006, 00:36
Schweet! :D

I think I remember these from the old thread.

They look very neat, and the colours are very vibrant. Just like Eldar should be really.
The only thing that bugs me a little is the grass on the bases. It's just too green. But that's nitpicking really.

Great models!

Deadleyheadley
20-09-2006, 00:45
Very very nice mate ,glad to see ya back ,Looking forward to more updates:D

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 01:26
Trying to get the old exposure settings set...

Guardians!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Guardians.jpg

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 01:33
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Guardians2.jpg

Not quite done...need basing :)

n00bLord
20-09-2006, 01:49
Wow that color scheme is just pure brilliance. I love these models!

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 01:56
Banshees w/new cam

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Banshees.jpg

UnRiggable
20-09-2006, 02:08
these are sooooo goood but im having a hard time ignoring the bases which i find rather, uh, ugly.

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 02:17
Dire Avengers
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/DireAvengers.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/DireAvengers2.jpg

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 02:28
Dark Reapers
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/DarkReapers.jpg

Rangers
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Rangers.jpg

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 02:31
Thanks for all the input guys, Ill post regularly in this thread :D

Scorpio
20-09-2006, 03:15
*Scorpio's eyes roll back in his head*

They look terrific. I dont get what everyone is talking about on the bases they look good too.

-Scorpio

MIGHTYPanhead
20-09-2006, 04:06
hey-ho! Frost's back!

Still loving your eldar, glad to see them back :)

Siromcyre
20-09-2006, 06:27
Looks superb, Very Eldar.

Bases are fine, though not done in my tastes. Shouldn't matter as they're not my models though. The Ninja avenger is a bit out of place, though, is v cool.

FearFrost
20-09-2006, 07:45
I think Im going to add something to the bases...one more color, either some kind of debris or rock or something along those lines, because I think the large areas of grass are kind of boring, too. Its not a huge concern, yet, because I have so much work left on this army concept...

Units to come, in possible order of painting:

Wraithguard
2 Vypers
Falcon and Waveserpent (probably paint them together)

I assume by the time all that is done there will be giant piles of new Eldar minis to choose from.

Ah, bliss.

Bluesabre
20-09-2006, 09:33
Looking really good so far. Good to see your work back up and running again.

The boyz
20-09-2006, 10:24
Wow, excellent stuff FearFrost. Those are some great looking Eldar. Great paint job through out the entire army. I love the Dire Avengers they look brilliant.

FearFrost
22-09-2006, 04:19
Wow, excellent stuff FearFrost. Those are some great looking Eldar. Great paint job through out the entire army. I love the Dire Avengers they look brilliant.

Thanks, they are probably my favorite unit so far :)

FearFrost
24-09-2006, 08:10
Wraithguard WIP-NESS! (crappy, blurry photo)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/wraithguardwip.jpg

Scorpio
25-09-2006, 00:21
Even WIP they look great!

-Scorpio

Alsiaie
25-09-2006, 00:42
I need to change my pants...Makes me want to push my Eldar project schedule up. :D

FearFrost
25-09-2006, 01:23
Thanks guys! Maybe more shots tonight, depending on my progress...

bloodlust
25-09-2006, 03:01
I'm really impressed with the turqouise armor, especially on the wraithguard! How did you come up with the paint scheme?

FearFrost
25-09-2006, 03:10
I just love hawk turquoise :D

I tried not to highlight with white at all on any of my models, except on the wraithbone, which is white ;)

I used hawk turqouise + bleached bone

and

Purple plus ghostly grey

The Judge
25-09-2006, 22:48
Thats some perdy miniatures.

Oh, that purple is nice.

Eris
25-09-2006, 22:58
Wraithguard are my fave even WIP; your colours are so beautifully blended and vibrant and the blacklining really brings out the colours. Wonderful... I love purple. *prrrr* :angel:

FearFrost
04-10-2006, 20:36
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/wraithguardwip2.jpg

Still WIP, but almost finished.

They need runes/gems/small metal areas/basing.

Scorpio
04-10-2006, 21:00
I like the fire on the helmets and the frost on the loincloths. Very nice and very high quality there man.

-Scorpio

Arcane_Blade
04-10-2006, 21:08
Beautiful. Just Beautiful.

Oh, and loving the purple, it's so purtty!!!! :D

swamp_slug
05-10-2006, 19:01
Wow, FearFrost those models are amazing. The warlocks and guardians are fantastic. I look forward to seeing more, could you post a photo with all your painted models?

FearFrost
05-10-2006, 19:03
I can try when I get more of the army based...youd be amazed how hard it is to get a good group shot :\

Thanks for the props :D

FearFrost
05-10-2006, 20:51
Hey guys, finished the wraithguard (exept potential symbols) and warlock. Also got some hopefully better pics of the guardians...the light levels are still screwed up, but for a 120 dollar camera, its pretty good.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Wraithguard.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Guardians2-1.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Guardians1.jpg

FearFrost
05-10-2006, 21:02
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Warlockcloseup.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Wraithguardclose.jpg

Reign in Blood
07-10-2006, 05:33
Hey FearFrost, I really like what you've done mate. I have been dropping every now and then and it is coming along great. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving a little tutorial on how you did you guns and warlock blades? That white is really nice and the black stands out to. Those blades are great as well. I am new to eldar and have recently purchased some models to try things on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
RiB

FearFrost
07-10-2006, 06:31
Sure man!

Bone (witch weapons/warlock armor chest piece)

1) Base of snakebite leather
2) highlight of 2/1 sb/mixed with white
3) highlight of 1/1
4) edge highlight of 1/2 (almost pure white, not quite)

Wraithbone (white)

1) Base of ghostly grey
2) Watery coat of white, leaving ghostley grey in recesses
3) Possible second coat of white, if the first didnt get it smooth enough
4) A thin edge highlight of white, less dilluted than step 2+3

Black on weapons

1) Base of black
2) highlight with 1/1 mix black and white
3) THIN! edge highlight with 1/2 black white

I cant emphasize enough how important keeping the highlight bands THIN is when you are doing black. Note that the armor black on my guardians and wraithguard follows the same formula, but I mix in ghostly grey instead of black.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Reign in Blood
07-10-2006, 06:38
Sure does mate, thanks heaps. I also really like your red runes (if that is waht they are?, I am new to Eldar) I have been trying something similar but havn't been able to pull it off. I think there was a guide on the intenet somewhere that gave me the idea in the first place but I must have screwed it up somehow.

Darkseer
07-10-2006, 07:15
A very striking scheme indeed. Excellent stuff.

FearFrost
08-10-2006, 04:04
Sure does mate, thanks heaps. I also really like your red runes (if that is waht they are?, I am new to Eldar) I have been trying something similar but havn't been able to pull it off. I think there was a guide on the intenet somewhere that gave me the idea in the first place but I must have screwed it up somehow.

Do you mean the gemstones?

They are easy, just paint em black...

then a 1/1 mix red black, leaving black edge

then paint bottom half blood red

then paint very bottom curve (super thin line) of fiery orange

Top it off with a dot of white.

Trust me, it works, its easy, and thank god...Each of those wraithguard had 50 or so gems...so about 270 for a 6 model unit.

IJW
08-10-2006, 05:47
About the only thing I can add to what people have already said would be to try a unifying wash over the cloth areas so that the three colour technique isn't so obvious close-up. But as we can see from the smaller pictures they'll look amazing on the battlefield as-is.

What are you planning to do with the bases?

Reign in Blood
08-10-2006, 09:05
Do you mean the gemstones?
Trust me, it works, its easy, and thank god...Each of those wraithguard had 50 or so gems...so about 270 for a 6 model unit.

Your a top bloke mate, cheers. Yeah thats exactly what I meant. You've been a great help and what I have done looks great. I didn't rip it off completely but you still did a great service mate. Now all I need to do is the cloak and the little details for my test Ranger.

Thanks again,
RiB

Anardakil
08-10-2006, 15:42
Your eldar look great. I love the colour scheme, it gives them a frosty, magical look :)

FearFrost
10-10-2006, 03:27
About the only thing I can add to what people have already said would be to try a unifying wash over the cloth areas so that the three colour technique isn't so obvious close-up. But as we can see from the smaller pictures they'll look amazing on the battlefield as-is.

What are you planning to do with the bases?

They will be based like the models in the earlier pages, greenish grass on black edging and stone. I think Im gonna tone the grass down a bit.

Also, the cloth (and the rest of the model) isnt nearly as striated and bright as it is in the photos...my lighting kills my blending and really seperates the layers :\. They blend pretty well in real life, even up close :)

Your a top bloke mate, cheers. Yeah thats exactly what I meant. You've been a great help and what I have done looks great. I didn't rip it off completely but you still did a great service mate. Now all I need to do is the cloak and the little details for my test Ranger.

Thanks again,
RiB

Awesome man, post a pic of it here when its done, if you can. Glad to be of service to another budding Farseer :)

Your eldar look great. I love the colour scheme, it gives them a frosty, magical look :)

Thanks!

Althanan
10-10-2006, 06:18
Your painting is GORGEOUS, it really gives me some inspiration on what I want to do with the many still-unpainted Eldar I have.

As for the lighting... send me a PM, I work in a photography studio and have a couple ideas based on what I'm seeing.

FearFrost
12-10-2006, 17:55
Some warp spider WIPness!

Oh, and there is a fully assembled Fire Prism on my desk. (evil grin)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/warpspiderwip.jpg

The red on this model is a result of a cocked-up attempt to inkwash...

1)Blood red over white primer
2)mix of dark green ink and purple ink wash
3)swear a lot because I suck at using inks
4)painstakingly rebasecoat all the raised areas with blood red (ungh) leaving purplish color in recesses
5)highlight of 1/1 blood red/fiery orange
6)edge highlight of fiery orange
7)sigh in relief because it doesnt suck anymore

FearFrost
12-10-2006, 18:00
Your painting is GORGEOUS, it really gives me some inspiration on what I want to do with the many still-unpainted Eldar I have.

As for the lighting... send me a PM, I work in a photography studio and have a couple ideas based on what I'm seeing.

Thanks man. Im not sure if your ideas involve me spending money, cuz if they do...ouch. (pulls out empty pockets)

I know part of my problem is mixing various colors of lights (fluorescents, daylight, daylight bulbs, etc), but without one of those neato light rigs that deadleyheadley has, Im not sure how to pull it off.

Gekiganger
12-10-2006, 18:13
Some Wraithguard WIPness!

You mean Warpspider?

Fantastic work. I hate having my painting made to look so amature but that's fantastic work regardless.

Chris_Tzeentch
12-10-2006, 18:41
I love the models, and I think your photos are rather good too.

What lighting do you use? I have issues with lighting!

FearFrost
12-10-2006, 18:43
You mean Warpspider?

Fantastic work. I hate having my painting made to look so amature but that's fantastic work regardless.

Oops. Fixed it :) Thanks for the props guys.

My lighting is my painting lights, a pair of old ass fluorescents, and a big floorlamp with a daylight bulb...and the window open, during midday. Its pretty much whatever I can rig up when I feel like taking a picture, really :)

AventineCrusader
12-10-2006, 22:53
I very much like how the red is coming on that WS.

Crusader

Althanan
13-10-2006, 05:17
Thanks man. Im not sure if your ideas involve me spending money, cuz if they do...ouch. (pulls out empty pockets)

Heh, no worries there. Just me bankrupting my own self ;)

I know part of my problem is mixing various colors of lights (fluorescents, daylight, daylight bulbs, etc), but without one of those neato light rigs that deadleyheadley has, Im not sure how to pull it off.

My lighting is my painting lights, a pair of old ass fluorescents, and a big floorlamp with a daylight bulb...and the window open, during midday. Its pretty much whatever I can rig up when I feel like taking a picture, really

I had a hunch that's about what you were doing. Mixing that many different light sources is a bad time.

Try this: white curtain over your window (or blicnds pulled if they're a thin cloth, and isolate the photo area in a corner of the room AWAY from the window. You can turn on a couple of lights in the room, in fact I recommend at least the main room light, and put that daylight bulb as close to over the photo area as you can. Back to the window when you shoot. Try a few like that, see how they turn out :)

I don't guarantee success, mind you. As I'm about halfway across the world from you, it's a touch difficult to work with your setup ;)

I do have to say, I am a big fan of Deadley's setup (once he actually puts it all together anyhow :P). I may have to get a photocube meself... a new light would be a decent idea as well... oh, how my wallet is crying :P

FearFrost
13-10-2006, 05:37
I very much like how the red is coming on that WS.

Crusader

Yeah man, it went from "oh man this sucks" to "hey, wait a second...this might just work!"

Heh, no worries there. Just me bankrupting my own self ;)

I had a hunch that's about what you were doing. Mixing that many different light sources is a bad time.

Try this: white curtain over your window (or blicnds pulled if they're a thin cloth, and isolate the photo area in a corner of the room AWAY from the window. You can turn on a couple of lights in the room, in fact I recommend at least the main room light, and put that daylight bulb as close to over the photo area as you can. Back to the window when you shoot. Try a few like that, see how they turn out :)

I don't guarantee success, mind you. As I'm about halfway across the world from you, it's a touch difficult to work with your setup ;)

I do have to say, I am a big fan of Deadley's setup (once he actually puts it all together anyhow :P). I may have to get a photocube meself... a new light would be a decent idea as well... oh, how my wallet is crying :P

Yeah, Ill give that a shot...what I need to do is buy a couple cheap lamps and hook them up with daylight bulbs, instead of using these damned fluorescents/incandescents. Im going to try to shoot some of the army on an overcast day, if I have the time (and an overcast day...its been really nice out here recently)

Thanks for the advice!

IJW
13-10-2006, 07:51
You can sometimes get away with mixing day light with incandescent lighting, but flourescents? Ack! Get them away from your painting area ASAP.

Reign in Blood
13-10-2006, 11:11
Hey FF, that red on the WS is quite nice.

I might give you a pick but I have a crap camera and even worse lighting then enyone could probably imagine. Plus I am no where need finished it because I have not been able to get on warseer for inspiration for about a week due to my computer being a sh!tty piece of ***** (excuse my cursing). The model needs more touch ups on what I have done and then it needs to be finished but I am starved for ideas...I think I might be thinking about it to hard to tel you the truth. maybe I am just procrastinating (sp?), I am very good at that. My year 12 was one large procratination and I still passed and got into uni hehe.

RiB

FearFrost
13-10-2006, 19:17
Hey FF, that red on the WS is quite nice.

I might give you a pick but I have a crap camera and even worse lighting then enyone could probably imagine. Plus I am no where need finished it because I have not been able to get on warseer for inspiration for about a week due to my computer being a sh!tty piece of ***** (excuse my cursing). The model needs more touch ups on what I have done and then it needs to be finished but I am starved for ideas...I think I might be thinking about it to hard to tel you the truth. maybe I am just procrastinating (sp?), I am very good at that. My year 12 was one large procratination and I still passed and got into uni hehe.

RiB

Well, keep cracking at it :)

Nakori
15-10-2006, 02:47
Awesome models you've made I must say.

I'm curious if you're starting with a black basecoat on all models,
and if so how you're getting such a nice white color as the front of weapons.

I've just started painting myself and have some problems using light colors on black basecoat. Needing several strokes it quickly gets too thick, so it seems to me it's easier to start with white basecoat.

FearFrost
15-10-2006, 05:35
I use both, actually. If Im doing a mainly light colored model, I work with white spray, but otherwise I use black.

If you look over this log, I did in white:

banshees, dire avengers, warp spiders (wip)

Everything else was done with black spray.

Use a thin coat of ghostly grey, then a thin coat of white. That will get you from black undercoat to straight white, which you can then paint red or yellow over.

n00bLord
15-10-2006, 06:00
Frost how long have you been painting, and do you got any tips on highlights you could spare me.

Keep up the work on your eldar, I am tempted to start them because of you now.

FearFrost
15-10-2006, 06:28
About 13 years, but I only knew what I was doing for about the last 3 of them :)

10 years of drybrushing and too thick paint (shudders)

I think I might make some kind of quickie photoshop tutorial for painting...I was wondering if you guys would be interested in that?

Quin 242
15-10-2006, 06:40
Absolutley beautiful!

Are you wet blending the colors on the Writhguard? the highlights are VERY smooth...
Nice work.

Keep it up!!!

FearFrost
15-10-2006, 07:18
Yeah, I wetblended on the orange flames on the carapace, just because its such a long area and I only used 4 layers :)

Reign in Blood
15-10-2006, 08:27
Regarding your offer of a tutorial I would be up for that...seeing as I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to a lot of the stuff you have shown us. Hows the WS(s) coming alng btw?

natedogg710
15-10-2006, 13:41
Yes, I would also like to see a tutorial. I'm not really sure on how to Highlight/Shade/Blend.

Arcane_Blade
15-10-2006, 14:28
Loving the army so far, it looks very professional and Eldar.....ee.
A tutorial? You better bloody well do one. :p

FearFrost
15-10-2006, 18:32
Regarding your offer of a tutorial I would be up for that...seeing as I don't really know what I am doing when it comes to a lot of the stuff you have shown us. Hows the WS(s) coming alng btw?

The red is almost done on all of them...its very time consuming, because I basically screwed it up.

Yes, I would also like to see a tutorial. I'm not really sure on how to Highlight/Shade/Blend.

Ill see what I can whip up in photoshop/illustrator. Give me some time.

Loving the army so far, it looks very professional and Eldar.....ee.
A tutorial? You better bloody well do one. :p

Hehe, ok, ok!

FearFrost
16-10-2006, 03:52
A bit more progress.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/warpspiderwip2.jpg

scairyfairy
16-10-2006, 05:23
Awesome Warp Spiders! How long does it take you for each mini?

Althanan
16-10-2006, 20:22
Yeah, Ill give that a shot...what I need to do is buy a couple cheap lamps and hook them up with daylight bulbs, instead of using these damned fluorescents/incandescents. Im going to try to shoot some of the army on an overcast day, if I have the time (and an overcast day...its been really nice out here recently)

Thanks for the advice!

Not a problem mate. Glad to be of any sort of assistance :)

As for the weather... you could always send some models to me, it's been overcast here ;) j/k man...

Nice Spiders... far and above better than any I've done :(

bloodwraith
17-10-2006, 03:35
frost: i am in much the same boat as you. What finally spurred you forward into trying more advanced techniques? I guess i am always worried about cocking up my models. Great models, i bet you are glad you took a few risks huh?

AsuryanofUlthwe
17-10-2006, 06:16
lookin great frost, you are inspiring me to get off my duff and finish my eldar I have before the new banshees and lord come out. Top work!

FearFrost
19-10-2006, 05:55
Awesome Warp Spiders! How long does it take you for each mini?
I dont work individually, but total it probably took something like 20-ish hours for these 5 warpspiders.

frost: i am in much the same boat as you. What finally spurred you forward into trying more advanced techniques? I guess i am always worried about cocking up my models. Great models, i bet you are glad you took a few risks huh?

I started working at a GW retail store where all the guys where awesome painters, and really started paying attention to their techniques. I think the main thing is that you have to start paying attention to the layers that miniatures are highlighted with...realize that flat color and drybrushing are never going to get you those kinds of results. After that realization, it was pretty much self taught.

lookin great frost, you are inspiring me to get off my duff and finish my eldar I have before the new banshees and lord come out. Top work!

Nice! Another Farseer joins my thread :D

Here you go, almost done warpspiders (need aspect symbol on their heads)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/warpspiderswip3.jpg

Frost

Reign in Blood
19-10-2006, 08:14
Gah, Gah, Gah, Gah, Gah!..Holy crap they are great. And thats all I have to say.

Evilgnome
19-10-2006, 13:02
Great work.

Nice clean painting.

Althanan
19-10-2006, 14:10
Gurf... the envy...

*sigh* I wish I was half the painter some of these guys around here are. *looks sadly at his models that are totally half-assed looking in comparison*

FearFrost
19-10-2006, 19:14
Thanks gents!

I also forgot that I have to do the metal and wash on all the tube-ey areas and such. Oops. Then they are done.

Ill take a back shot of one mabe later on today, they have some freehanded flames on their carapaces.

FarseerUshanti
19-10-2006, 21:52
Beautiful stuff Frost. I must say the colors on the seers and such aren't my favorite to work with but you certainly make them work very well. Also love the Spiders.

My quesiton is if you oculd possibly get a tutorial of some sort or a brief description of how you painted them (i'm currently in the drybrushing very little inking of my models) painting stage of my life and could use any help.

Keep up the gorgeous work

UnRiggable
19-10-2006, 22:54
I see you've redone youre avatar! ; )

I dont really care for a tutorial it would take too long to read.

FearFrost
20-10-2006, 00:53
I just got adobe illustrator the other day, so I think Im going to make some tutorials with that, when I get a spare day or two...it might be a while though. Thanks for looking!

FarseerUshanti
20-10-2006, 01:27
Yea just whenever oyu have the time to get to them. I don't have any painting on my plate until the new Eldar models come out so I have been searching for various techniques to improve my painting. Thanks for the help and the models lol.

Reflex
07-11-2006, 08:00
any6 more stuff coming? got any of the new released stuff in the modeling process?

FearFrost
07-11-2006, 18:32
I live in the states, and believe it or not, unless you have the army box, you cant even get the damned codex here yet.

So the only "new" models that I can get are the new rangers.

I started a quicky side project to keep myself busy, its my celestial lions PL (its in my sig) :)

When I get some more money and time and the new models, Ill be back to Eldar, promise :)

Frost

Althanan
07-11-2006, 19:07
I'm debating whether or not to go get the Army Box... I know that the local HobbyTown has two in stock.

I'd go check your local store for other of the new models... I know the HobbyTown here has the new War Walkers and, I'm pretty sure, the Wraithlord.

Scorpio
07-11-2006, 21:11
You can get the codex stateside. I was at my local GW not 2 days ago and saw it there.(Minnesota)

-Scorpio

FarseerUshanti
07-11-2006, 22:41
Only the GW stores have it for sale right now. Most independent stores are getting it sometime this week.

UnRiggable
07-11-2006, 22:44
I saw it at GW Harvard Square here so yeah I'm pretty sure its for sale!

FearFrost
08-11-2006, 00:51
Unfortunately, I live in FL, which has zero GW company stores.

The website says its shipping the 9th...we shall see. If I wasnt totally broke, id get the boxed army and sell off all the stuff I dont want (banshees/falcon/guardians/vyper)...but I dont have 250 bucks.

Thanks for all the input guys...Here is what I have done so far:

10 Guardians w/warlock and shuricannon
5 Banshees (old style)
5 wraithguard and warlock
10 DA's including an exarch
5 warp spiders
6 rangers (old style)
4 Dark Reapers (old style)

Here is what I want to add:
6 swooping hawks
6 harlequins
falcon
fire prism
wraithlord (waiting on new one)
6 striking scorps (waiting on new)
warp spider exarch

So what should I start next?

Scorpio
08-11-2006, 00:54
Do the swooping hawks or the tanks.

EDIT: I just remembered the store i went to actually wasnt a GW...Silly confused Scorpio forgot.

-Scorpio

Reign in Blood
08-11-2006, 09:54
Thats bad luck mate. I have the new codex and Autarch and some dire avengers...and just because I am happy about it a wave serpant to.

Tussky
08-11-2006, 12:49
Can we see a group shot ?

AventineCrusader
08-11-2006, 13:05
I would do the Swooping Hawks next. I just started a unit of them myself, and they are a joy to paint!

Crusader

FearFrost
17-11-2006, 05:35
Decided to change my bases...used some GW snow flock :)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Banshees-1.jpg

New lights, better photography, w00t!

Updates coming soon, I promise!

Frost

FearFrost
17-11-2006, 05:46
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/WarpSpiders.jpg

Those bases arent quite finished yet.

FearFrost
17-11-2006, 05:46
A hint of what to come :)

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/ShadowSeer.jpg

Reign in Blood
17-11-2006, 11:59
Nicely done mate...as always. I was kinda hoping to see your take on the new harlies but that is darn good all the same. Those colours are so damn good. Lacking snow though...I want to use snow for my bases but I won't be getting any for a while.

IJW
17-11-2006, 12:26
:) The more the merrier...

FearFrost
17-11-2006, 15:32
:) The more the merrier...

First I have a fire prism and falcon to paint, but I may have a few harlies up my sleeve :)

Zodiac
17-11-2006, 17:05
Nice! Although I do not the like the warp spiders. ( the models are too old )
The painting is ace, the lining is great, the freehand is awesome. And you are the master!

Tussky
17-11-2006, 18:10
OMG ! :eek: Awsome!

Voronwe[MQ]
17-11-2006, 18:12
Although I do not the like the warp spiders. ( the models are too old )

Perhaps old, but I definitely think the Warp Spider models (along with Swooping Hawks - though I'd have been happier without their 'helmet-beaks') are amongst the best models still. Okay, not the weaponry of the Exarch etc, but the netting on his legs almost makes up for it. ;)

The one complaint of the normal Warp Spider models are the globe-feeder or whatever with gems that definitely should be done better on new models. Oh, and the guns; the guns have got to be slimmer, too.

Scorpio
17-11-2006, 21:24
Ahhh glad to see this thread back in action. Love the harly. And the banshees and spiders look terrific.

-Scorpio

virre
17-11-2006, 22:26
Well after seeing the complete warpspiders I got stuned a sec or maybe 5. Then I wrote to my friend and was almost out of the chair getting into my room when, I told myself that i need to find a colourscheme first... Keep painting i want to see more! :)

/Virre

Evilgnome
18-11-2006, 12:31
Nice Harly.

Keep the painting going!

Zustiur
18-11-2006, 12:35
I saw step details you wrote for painting these, but you didn't do one for the purple. What paints did you use for that, and do you have any tips on your method of painting cloth?

Zustiur.

Jimbobjeff
18-11-2006, 14:47
There is a god.....They are perhaps the finest Eldar I have ever seen they put mine to shame....

UnRiggable
18-11-2006, 16:02

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/ShadowSeer.jpg

Do those guys even have faces? Great job by the way.

IJW
18-11-2006, 17:34
Harlequins always have masks, but in the case of the seers (that's the old High Warlock/Shadowseer model), they tend to have blank masks.

Voronwe[MQ]
18-11-2006, 23:25
Blank masks tends to be better when painted black with a relatively strong dark grey highlight.

morgalock
19-11-2006, 05:40
Honestly, I don't think that the bases are all that bad.

You are a great painter, and those Eldar look like Eldar, they don't look like someone tyring to make a cool paintscheme, they look like true Eldar. Me likey!

FearFrost
28-11-2006, 20:28
Hey guys, bit of threadomancy here: I got my entire army (so far) based and shot with good lighting and photo editing. I really prefer my new style of basing for these...its a lot more fitting to my craftworld's (name pending!) history.

So here we go, the whole dealie!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Wraithguard.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/WarpSpiders.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Rangers.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/DarkReapers.jpg

FearFrost
28-11-2006, 20:29
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Guardians2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Guardians1.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/DireAvengers2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/DireAvengers1.jpg

FarseerUshanti
28-11-2006, 20:38
Ok its simple you stink lol. I look at some of my guys and i'm like yes this is awesome i can't believe i painted it this well. Then I look at your stuff and I'm jsut like crap my stuff isn't even that great. Nice bases, and of course great stuff. I'm especially in favor of the Reapers and SPiders

Voronwe[MQ]
28-11-2006, 20:42
You've succeeded in painting them like eldar.

Zodiac
28-11-2006, 20:45
you sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I could kiss you.

( lol )

I really like the avengers, they look evil without being comical or non-eldar

FearFrost
28-11-2006, 20:53
Thanks gents!

Im glad they came out like Eldar ;)

Scorpio
28-11-2006, 22:06
Amazing. I really like the gold sword the warlock has. How'd you do that gold?
Everything is awesome.

-Scorpio

Deadleyheadley
28-11-2006, 22:08
Youve got some sweet Eldar there mate ,I love the colour scheme and the bases .Keep up the good work.

FearFrost
28-11-2006, 22:20
Amazing. I really like the gold sword the warlock has. How'd you do that gold?
Everything is awesome.

-Scorpio

Its snakebite leather highlighted up to white :)

Scorpio
28-11-2006, 22:25
Its snakebite leather highlighted up to white :)

Ahh looked like gold. All in all some of the best eldar i've seen mate!

-Scorpio

Alsiaie
28-11-2006, 23:04
Very clean and nice. Good base work too. Of course you already know my obsene obsession with bases these days! :eek:

Althanan
28-11-2006, 23:55
Loved 'em when I first saw 'em, and still lovin' 'em today. Wow. Just wow.

Evilgnome
29-11-2006, 01:59
Great work Mr. Frost!

I like the snowy theme, and the painting is excellent.

When do we see some Harlies?

FearFrost
29-11-2006, 02:26
Youve got some sweet Eldar there mate ,I love the colour scheme and the bases .Keep up the good work.

Thanks Deadley, I wish I could keep up with your progress, though!

Very clean and nice. Good base work too. Of course you already know my obsene obsession with bases these days! :eek:

Yeah man, I'd give my left hand for some bases like yours, they are too cool.

Great work Mr. Frost!

I like the snowy theme, and the painting is excellent.

When do we see some Harlies?

Probably going to be a while, next up is a falcon and a fire prism, painted simultaneously. I cant really do any painting until I finish this semester, so updates will be few and far between until Dec 10th-ish.

Loved 'em when I first saw 'em, and still lovin' 'em today. Wow. Just wow.

Danke!

Reign in Blood
29-11-2006, 02:36
Every time I se your stuff I just need to pick up a brush. I am fighting the earge until I get my copies of red dwarf in. I find it hard to paint without stuff in the background. Still loving what I am seeing...you know even though I have seen it all before (without the bases). Have you got the new codex yet? I really find it quite stupid that Australia has/d it availiable before USA(or is it just parts of USA?). Can't wait to see you tackle those vehicles. I am finding my serpant to be a bit of a challange (my first ever tank), so maybe you will end up helping me out again lol. Keep up the good work mate.

FearFrost
29-11-2006, 03:06
Every time I se your stuff I just need to pick up a brush. I am fighting the earge until I get my copies of red dwarf in. I find it hard to paint without stuff in the background. Still loving what I am seeing...you know even though I have seen it all before (without the bases). Have you got the new codex yet? I really find it quite stupid that Australia has/d it availiable before USA(or is it just parts of USA?). Can't wait to see you tackle those vehicles. I am finding my serpant to be a bit of a challange (my first ever tank), so maybe you will end up helping me out again lol. Keep up the good work mate.

Yeah man, I got the new book, finally :)

I dont have any of the new models yet, mainly because I am MASSIVELY broke.

Im ebaying off my tau to try and get some fundage...we'll see how that goes.

When I start my tanks Ill post progress, feel free to ask questions about your serpent :)

Captain_Wolverine
29-11-2006, 03:17
About time I made an appearance in here seeming all the great feedback you have been giving me Frost>
Now to the point: Your Dark Reapers are great me nicking it for my own me thinks, well maybe might have my own idea by the time I do my own.

FearFrost
29-11-2006, 03:53
About time I made an appearance in here seeming all the great feedback you have been giving me Frost>
Now to the point: Your Dark Reapers are great me nicking it for my own me thinks, well maybe might have my own idea by the time I do my own.

Hehe, go for it!

Althanan
29-11-2006, 04:09
Yeah man, I got the new book, finally :)

I dont have any of the new models yet, mainly because I am MASSIVELY broke.

Im ebaying off my tau to try and get some fundage...we'll see how that goes.

When I start my tanks Ill post progress, feel free to ask questions about your serpent :)

Ironic, I'm in the same boat as you. Though not e-baying my Tau just yet, I'm seriously considering it. With an IG army in the works after I finish painting enough Eldar to give me list flexibility, the allure the Tau had when I started buying them last year is pretty much gone.

jigplums
30-11-2006, 00:24
i wanna see a falcon from you mate. Luv ya work mate

FearFrost
07-12-2006, 05:52
The semester ended today, and hot damn, I have free time again. Falcon and Fire Prism getting primed tommorow...I might even pick up a new Farseer!

Stay tuned!

Voronwe[MQ]
07-12-2006, 13:13
We stays tuned, master.
:)

Althanan
07-12-2006, 15:52
I just picked up a new Farseer yesterday (as well as two boxes of the new DA's for $20 each... nice!). The new sculpts are pretty in pictures, but even better IRL!

Can't wait to see what you do with a Falcon... or better yet, a Prism!

cookiescrumble
07-12-2006, 16:38
Fantastic minis, i love your painting style.

FearFrost
08-12-2006, 20:32
Well, do to the weather in north florida being too cold to prime stuff (how crazy is THAT!?) I decided to assemble a bunch of things that have been laying around, and pick up a new farseer (first 4th ed mini, yay!) and am REALLY impressed by the sculpt. It's very Rackham-esque...I likey.

So I assembled some stuff. I like to do rocks/stuff on the bases of my "characters" in this army, so I went crazy on these:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Wipstuff.jpg

Im pretty excited about the swooping hawks being mounted like that. The remainder of the squad wont be quite as high as the exarch, but they will all be off the ground to some extent.

The farseer has a stack of 3 pennies under his feet/sculpted base stuff. Im probably going to add a dead CSM head or something to the little hill he is on.

Not sure yet.

Thoughts?

unwanted
08-12-2006, 20:44
I'm not the biggest fan of overly tall bases, but I think these will look nice when finished, at least if they will live up to the standards presented in your previous work.

FarseerUshanti
08-12-2006, 22:20
Hey it could be worse. I'm in pittsburgh and some stuff I primed in my basment got screwed up oh well. Anyways I want to say the swooping hawk exarch is a tad bit to high. maybe drop the wire down about half an inch or so

AventineCrusader
08-12-2006, 23:42
Half an inch and he'll be on the ground though...

Nice characters Frost, I just got my Seer a few days ago, and it is an awesome sculpt.

Crusader

liamrob
09-12-2006, 02:39
excellent painting i love em!
Keep up the good work

FearFrost
09-12-2006, 10:06
Half an inch and he'll be on the ground though...

Nice characters Frost, I just got my Seer a few days ago, and it is an awesome sculpt.

Crusader

Isnt it amazing? I really love it. I cant wait to get the new scorps and a new wraithlord...

jigplums
13-12-2006, 00:59
come one get the hairdryer out to warm up your priming location :)

FearFrost
13-12-2006, 03:38
The weather is looking a lot better now, so I will be outside priming and painting tommorow :D

Hopefully.

Alsiaie
13-12-2006, 04:04
The weather is looking a lot better now, so I will be outside priming and painting tommorow :D

Hopefully.

OMG... You live in FL and it's too cold to spray prime? You make me chuckle. Trying living with cold winter weather up to 60 below with windchills. I still wear shorts in the low 50's. :angel: You could always invest money into an airbrush. Works great for priming.

All good fun though.

FearFrost
13-12-2006, 15:13
It was actually 26 and REALLY windy the other night. It freaked me out, if felt like I lived in NY again!

But yeah, the freakish cold weather is gone. Priming and painting await! Oh, and Im way too messy to use an airbrush...Im super sloppy with sprays and tend to break airbrushes :\

Alsiaie
14-12-2006, 00:06
Yeah airbrushes are a pain in the ass. I spend more time cleaning mine than using it. But I really don't have a choice these days.

Scorpio
14-12-2006, 02:06
OMG... You live in FL and it's too cold to spray prime? You make me chuckle. Trying living with cold winter weather up to 60 below with windchills. I still wear shorts in the low 50's. :angel: You could always invest money into an airbrush. Works great for priming.

All good fun though.

Agreed. I'm still wearing shorts now! But i'm a crazy minnesotan so disregard me.;) Now back to work!(at least your warm most of the time in FL)

Have fun with your warm weather
-Scorpio

FearFrost
14-12-2006, 02:13
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FalconsWIP.jpg

Your wish is my command.

This is the beggining of the freehand that my grav tanks will be festooned with :)

Comments? The designs are still very WIP, for the record.

Frost

FarseerUshanti
14-12-2006, 02:28
Big fan of the freehand. i would take it as is. Also are you planning to blend any on the freehand or will it just be that blue.

FearFrost
14-12-2006, 02:30
Oh, there are lots of layers of highlighting and whatnot left, thats just pencil lines and one layer of hawk turq ;) I expect these two badboys to take me quite a few days to finish.

I modified the prisms "firey" scheme a bit to make it look more assymetrical and dynamic like the falcon. Ill post it in a minute.

FearFrost
14-12-2006, 02:33
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FalconsWIP2.jpg

FarseerUshanti
14-12-2006, 02:40
It looks nice. The freehand looks good even without shading so I can only imagine what the final scheme will be. How are you going to paint the prism cannon?

Scorpio
14-12-2006, 02:49
The freehand looks really awesome fearfrost!

-Scorpio

FearFrost
14-12-2006, 05:12
Thanks for the comments guys. I decided to work out the black highlights on the Falcon first...I used some little paint containers to save em so I can match them on my other vehicles.

The black is done...I was trying for that Matt Parks look...the tight, small highlights. Im not nearly as good as that guy (who is!?) but I tried:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FalconWIP3.jpg

FearFrost
14-12-2006, 07:30
Finished up the turqouise markings. Im really happy with the blending on these!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FalconWIP4.jpg

Evilgnome
14-12-2006, 09:55
Looking good Fearfrost, those tight highlights are tough to pull off.

I must say, I much prefer your feather design to the flames, not because of execution, which is quite good, but because flames always feel tacky to me.

Keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing these finished.

ardiasthegreat
14-12-2006, 12:33
I like the blue flame effect very much-very good!

Are you going to leave your black highlights the way they are, or are you going to blend them in a little more?

My ulthwe black highlights look very much like yours, and I am struggling to really blend them in/down.

Any help on tis matter. I notice the highlights above the drivers cockpit is highlighted directly, just wondering if this will be changed?

Thanks

JC Dental

Tussky
14-12-2006, 13:59
Really nice!The flames are awsome!But the purple looks a bit stange on an "almost" black falcon.If it was orange or turqouise it will looks much better than the purple.

Reign in Blood
15-12-2006, 05:14
Inspiring stuff as always. I am having trouble with my highlighling. Usually I don't put too much effort into it but the big panels are a bit bare without it. What I have done at the moment us ok but I need to add some more details. Out of my depth on this one. I am practising on a friends rhino but I havn't got that far yet. Different colours too. I will get there I reckon. I would love to be able to do a cool freehand design to break up the large area. I might try some smallish runes or something. At least I got me dwarf to watch whilst I am painting.

FearFrost
15-12-2006, 07:07
Looking good Fearfrost, those tight highlights are tough to pull off.

I must say, I much prefer your feather design to the flames, not because of execution, which is quite good, but because flames always feel tacky to me.

Keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing these finished.

Thanks gnome. I felt the fire prism needed flames for 2 reasons: flames are a motif in my craftworld, and it is a "fire" prism. Hence the wings on the falcon :D

I will probably add some flames to the falcon, much to your chagrin ;)

Thanks for the kind word, good sir.

I like the blue flame effect very much-very good!

Are you going to leave your black highlights the way they are, or are you going to blend them in a little more?

My ulthwe black highlights look very much like yours, and I am struggling to really blend them in/down.

Any help on tis matter. I notice the highlights above the drivers cockpit is highlighted directly, just wondering if this will be changed?

Thanks

JC Dental

Im not sure what you mean by the highlight over the driver cockpit...if you mean the purple, it just has one flat coat of paint on it, the reflection is one of my lamps.

Speaking of the lamps, because I dont have a light diffuser, the highlight layers really stand out a lot more than they should...they blend much better in real life :) I only used 4 layers of highlights, because these are a TT quality level, so I dont want to get too much into taking them back down with glazes and whatnot.

Really nice!The flames are awsome!But the purple looks a bit stange on an "almost" black falcon.If it was orange or turqouise it will looks much better than the purple.

The "plan" is to use the orange as a trim/symbol color later on. Im not sure about the purple areas either, to be honest...but I dont want the tank to be monochrome black, either....hrm.

Inspiring stuff as always. I am having trouble with my highlighling. Usually I don't put too much effort into it but the big panels are a bit bare without it. What I have done at the moment us ok but I need to add some more details. Out of my depth on this one. I am practising on a friends rhino but I havn't got that far yet. Different colours too. I will get there I reckon. I would love to be able to do a cool freehand design to break up the large area. I might try some smallish runes or something. At least I got me dwarf to watch whilst I am painting.

You can get a highlighted look pretty easily with big panels by just using one layer that is a little lighter than your base, and just using it very sparingly along the very fine edges. A lot of tanks in White dwarf are painted that way.

The real trick with painting large areas is to keep your paint SUPER thin.

Frost

jigplums
15-12-2006, 09:59
looking great so far, you dont disappoint do ya.

Voronwe[MQ]
15-12-2006, 11:40
This is getting better and better. The patterns are fitting and good, and the purple plays in well with the flames, so far at least.

Voronwe

jigplums
17-12-2006, 13:45
the pics are pretty good as well, what kind of camera do you use?

FearFrost
17-12-2006, 15:21
A cheap-ass 100 dollar nikon coolpix l4. Its really the lighting that matters more, I have two daylight bulbs in lamps on each side. I wish I had a diffuser, but they come out ok, I think :)

ionfish
17-12-2006, 15:23
You can just use a sheet or a pillowslip or something to diffuse the light, you know (not draped directly across the bulbs, of course - that would be a fire risk!).

FearFrost
20-12-2006, 08:17
Some more progress, both tanks are now at the same stages:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/PrismWIP2.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/PrismWIP1.jpg

Frost

Arhalien
20-12-2006, 08:46
Nice, I'm really liking the flame pattern. I'm not sure if I've alredy posted here (curse my poor memory :)), but everything else looks fantastic. It;s a nice interesting scheme as well. Keep it up :)

Andy_The_Nerd
20-12-2006, 12:21
That flame pattern is lovely, how did you do it?

FearFrost
20-12-2006, 17:58
If you mean the shape of it, I just freehanded it with a pencil over the primer, then painted over that with a brush.

The color is a lot of wet blending and cursing at it :)

schoolcormorant
20-12-2006, 22:18
what's the highlighting for the black it's great, i'm thinking 50/50 Codex Grey and Chaos Black then just Codex Grey watered down?

nice flame patterns, suits it with the black very well good job mate

SC

FearFrost
21-12-2006, 02:41
Its actually 5 layers:

Black
Black:Ghostly Grey 4:1
" 3:1
" 2:1
" 1:1

Those mixes are approximate, because I usually just eyeball it. I mixed all the highlight colors into seperate little pots so I could save them, hence both tanks matching (relatively).

Thanks guys, Im hoping to put a bit more into em tonight!

Scorpio
21-12-2006, 03:24
The tank looks totally awesome. Love the flame and the colors in general.

-Scorpio

FearFrost
21-12-2006, 06:58
These photos are really garbage, but at least you can get an idea of some more progress:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FalconWIP5.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/PrismWIP3.jpg

Tussky
21-12-2006, 09:57
OMG!Really nice.The purple flames looks good!

Voronwe[MQ]
21-12-2006, 12:50
In fact they are more like icy teal.

Anyway, this is turning out well.

Keep it up!

Voronwe

TheDevour
21-12-2006, 13:01
*jaw drops*

Geez, FearFrost your Eldar are simply A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!! The freehand on both your tanks are outstanding aswell as all your squads. keep up the great work. Oh by the way have you thought up a name for your army :p or arnt you gonna have one :(

TheDevour

FearFrost
21-12-2006, 17:43
OMG!Really nice.The purple flames looks good!
Thanks!

;1163036']In fact they are more like icy teal.

Anyway, this is turning out well.

Keep it up!

Voronwe
Thanks, I think he meant the purple flames around the cockpit on the falcon.

*jaw drops*

Geez, FearFrost your Eldar are simply A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!! The freehand on both your tanks are outstanding aswell as all your squads. keep up the great work. Oh by the way have you thought up a name for your army :p or arnt you gonna have one :(

TheDevour
Danke! I have come up with a name and a symbol, but they are both kinda WIP. Im also kicking around some background...

Frost

Voronwe[MQ]
21-12-2006, 21:12
Oh, I didn't realize it was flames ;p.

Voronwe

Lithian
21-12-2006, 22:05
Man, youíre painting the pilot/gunner already in the tanks!? :eek: Youíre crazy! And yet they look so great! :cool:

Iíve been lurking for a while, great stuff. I really like your Dire Avengers, makes me want to finish mine. Very inspiring, keep up the great works. :D

Light of the Emperor
21-12-2006, 22:16
Those tanks are so cool!
I love the blending. I've tried but never got the results I wanted.

One of us seriously has to transfer to the other's school so that we can get some games in. My Vostroyans would be honored to fight such a well painted force.

Alsiaie
21-12-2006, 22:35
Please stop. You make me not want to paint my eldar due to my lack of patience and skills. :eek: I love modeling but hate painting. But I also like admiring. :cool:

FearFrost
22-12-2006, 04:57
Man, youíre painting the pilot/gunner already in the tanks!? :eek: Youíre crazy! And yet they look so great! :cool:

Iíve been lurking for a while, great stuff. I really like your Dire Avengers, makes me want to finish mine. Very inspiring, keep up the great works. :D

Yeah man, I didnt have too hard a time doing the pilot/gunners...the main problem is getting those damned canopy edges painted!

Those tanks are so cool!
I love the blending. I've tried but never got the results I wanted.

One of us seriously has to transfer to the other's school so that we can get some games in. My Vostroyans would be honored to fight such a well painted force.

Serious dude, you have a ton of great painted minis and some great terrain.

UF has great weather and great girls. Nuff said.

Please stop. You make me not want to paint my eldar due to my lack of patience and skills. :eek: I love modeling but hate painting. But I also like admiring.

Im kind of the opposite, until recently. I used to never convert ANYTHING, but now I do a little bit of modelling. We should team up and rule the world!

Frost

Alsiaie
22-12-2006, 05:11
You want to paint our 4000 point Adepticon team army? It's over 170 eldar models.

FearFrost
22-12-2006, 05:23
As long as you dont need it painted until, say, 10 years from now ;)

Im notoriously slow, especially with eldar, my favorite range :)

Althanan
22-12-2006, 05:32
Faster than I am, but that's not saying much ;)

Yanno, I think your sig lies somewhat... I keep checking the link to your E-bay account, and I have yet to see one thing for sale ;)

FearFrost
22-12-2006, 05:49
Yeah, I sold off a lot of my collection, but for the most part, Im pretty done ebaying things, at least for a while...

FearFrost
03-01-2007, 08:24
Sorry for the lack of updates, my camera batteries were dead, and I was out of town for xmas.

Enjoy.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Falcon2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Falcon1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Prism2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Prism1.jpg

Althanan
03-01-2007, 08:31
Brilliant! Absoultely brilliant! I love them!

I wouldn't mind getting your opinion in my project log... a master Eldar painter to a decidedly non-masterful one ;)

Arhalien
03-01-2007, 10:58
Wow, very nice. I really like the way those tanks look, the contrasts between the colours are great.

spikyjames
03-01-2007, 11:04
these are very nice. the only thing i would say could be a bit better are the gems. they could do with being darker, more down to the middle.
very nice detailing and freehand.

james:)

Wastegate chatter
03-01-2007, 11:46
Looking spot on, glad I'm not the only one who takes time painting things!

Light of the Emperor
03-01-2007, 16:15
The tanks look awesome. If I could paint like that, I might already have some in my army!

Alsiaie
03-01-2007, 16:55
Fearfrost just owned me. :( I'd hate to see what he does with my ex-IG project! heheh Oh by the way frost, I have to ask... Want to buy a titan to go with that army?

Keep up the cosmic paint jobs!

FearFrost
03-01-2007, 18:36
Thanks guys!

Alsiaie: Ill pass on the titan, thanks though :)

Spiky: Yeah, I kind of agree. The gems are so much bigger than they are on the foot models. I really want to redo the orangey big ones on each tank. Im also considering redoing the prism on the prism cannon, it just doenst pop quite enough...

Oh, and I need to do all my symbols, including my not-quite-finished craftworld symbol :D

Frosty

FarseerUshanti
03-01-2007, 20:01
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

Lithian
04-01-2007, 05:49
*weeps* :cries:

I look at my tanks...

*weeps more* :cries: :cries:

When I pulled up the pics, I actually said "Jesus Christ" out loud. Bravo! :cool:

Reign in Blood
06-01-2007, 04:08
Wow I am really late. Really nicely done mate...as always. With the Prism..imo it doesn't look quite finished to your standards. If that makes sense. It definately needs somthing. The only thing I can think of is brighter colours, but then I am not really sure. It think it was a good idea it just isn't finished to the standard that all the people who follow this thread know you are capable of. The rest is pretty bloody flawless mate. I will have to start painting again soon. Stupid friends rhino...and work...and prelim uni stuff....arrrrggh

FearFrost
06-01-2007, 09:02
Wow I am really late. Really nicely done mate...as always. With the Prism..imo it doesn't look quite finished to your standards. If that makes sense. It definately needs somthing. The only thing I can think of is brighter colours, but then I am not really sure. It think it was a good idea it just isn't finished to the standard that all the people who follow this thread know you are capable of. The rest is pretty bloody flawless mate. I will have to start painting again soon. Stupid friends rhino...and work...and prelim uni stuff....arrrrggh

Do you mean the prism itself or the entire tank? I agree with you if you mean the crystal part...its going to get redone or reworked at least :)

Here is progress on the next thing:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FarseerWIP1.jpg

Wastegate chatter
06-01-2007, 09:27
Orange on the Farseer look great. as for the prism, think you have the right coulors just need to start getting lighter sooner if you see what i mean.

Voronwe[MQ]
06-01-2007, 10:12
Good start on the farseer. Your grav-tanks looks great, by the way :).

Voronwe

Reign in Blood
08-01-2007, 03:04
[QUOTE=FearFrost;1197044]Do you mean the prism itself or the entire tank? I agree with you if you mean the crystal part...its going to get redone or reworked at least :)[QUOTE]

The crystal mate, thats the only thing that lets it down. The rest is bloody great mate. Made me start painting again...not much mind you but still. That Farseer is going to look sweet.

Light of the Emperor
08-01-2007, 04:10
Geez I can't paint like that to save my life. You are the man!
Those Farseer models are great sculpts. I don't even play eldar, but I definately want one.
Look forward to the finished version!

Siromcyre
08-01-2007, 09:16
Good job on the flying death machines, i quite like updates to this thread.

Evilgnome
08-01-2007, 12:31
Back from Xmas and New Year to discover yet more geat painting! Well done on those vehicles Fearfrost!

FearFrost
08-01-2007, 15:35
The crystal mate, thats the only thing that lets it down. The rest is bloody great mate. Made me start painting again...not much mind you but still. That Farseer is going to look sweet.

Yeah...the crystal bugs me too. The photo kind of kills it, but I think Im going to redo it like Matt Parkes FP...thanks for the input!

Geez I can't paint like that to save my life. You are the man!
Those Farseer models are great sculpts. I don't even play eldar, but I definately want one.
Look forward to the finished version!

Thanks dude, I love this model...Im still really nervous about working on it. Im not sure if I like the greenish/brown shading on the orange, but I think Im going to leave it be until the colors around it are added, and see what it looks like then. Wish me luck :)

Good job on the flying death machines, i quite like updates to this thread.

I live to serve ;)

Back from Xmas and New Year to discover yet more geat painting! Well done on those vehicles Fearfrost!

Thanks!

Frosty

Althanan
08-01-2007, 17:46
That's the same Farseer I have, only mine is minus part of his staff as it snapped in the blister... looked like a slight mis-cast weakened it, as well as the two other Farseers of the same model at the store.

Anyways, I WAS really proud of the paintjob on mine, but I know yours will put him to shame ;)

FearFrost
12-01-2007, 00:16
More work!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FarseerWIP2.jpg

Light of the Emperor
12-01-2007, 04:15
Very nice as always. You gotta tell me how you did the browns. Those might come in handy down the road.
And I'm guessing all the black areas will become purple?

Alsiaie
12-01-2007, 04:24
Stop making me shameful of my bare plastics! :( Wait.. it doesn't matter. You put my attempt at paint jobs in the noob house.

FearFrost
12-01-2007, 07:07
Very nice as always. You gotta tell me how you did the browns. Those might come in handy down the road.
And I'm guessing all the black areas will become purple?

Funnily enough, the brown areas are just one really super thin coat of vallejo model color...I got frustrated with the lack of coverage and moved onto something else. So yeah, they arent done, but they kind of look cool now because they already sort of have a shaded look. I will probably change the brown to a lighter, more yellowey brown before its done.

Some of the cloak is going to be purple, and some is going to stay black. Im really not sure if I should run the teal color all the way down the center of the model or leave it up top the way it is. Im sort of torn.

Stop making me shameful of my bare plastics! :( Wait.. it doesn't matter. You put my attempt at paint jobs in the noob house.

No way dude, your conversions are sweet and your scheme is really cool. Plus, you have painted more Eldar in the past month than I have in the past 2 years!

Voronwe[MQ]
12-01-2007, 11:53
You do have a clear idea for your stuff, don't you? That Farseer is looking Eldar (with big 'E') out in his fingertips already.

Voronwe

FearFrost
17-01-2007, 04:11
More progress...a little. Im pretty happy with the bone on his chest. It blends a bit better under real light than it does in the photo.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FarseerWIP3.jpg

Also, got some new toys:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/NewRangers.jpg

T_55
17-01-2007, 04:17
Damn, that farseer is turning out really good, the colors go really well together and i'm particularly fond of the light blue and bone. Can't wait to see those rangers done.

FearFrost
17-01-2007, 04:36
Thanks man...it will be a little while, I have some (very sexy) striking scorps to do first :) That exarch with biting blade...wow. I love that model. So much.

randyc9999
17-01-2007, 04:43
As a long-time lurker, I've finally broken down and posted due to the great quality and color choices of your army. Thank you for sharing it with us. The colors have certainly inspired me!

Light of the Emperor
17-01-2007, 04:57
Wonderful as always! Excellent colors and blending!

FearFrost
17-01-2007, 06:57
2 updates in one night!? Preposterous! Nontheless, true.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FarseerWIP4.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FarseerWIP5.jpg

Voronwe[MQ]
17-01-2007, 07:35
There's a great Farseer! I'd want to add a bit more depth to the cloak along with a slightly lighter highlight, but that's just me. ;)

Voronwe

randyc9999
17-01-2007, 20:02
Besides the great painting on the Farseer, I'm also quite impressed with the quality of the photo (i.e., vibrant with details very visible). Do you use a flash, or photo lights with diffuser?

Mighty Chicken
17-01-2007, 20:12
I have to admit that I like the Warlock's head's colour scheme on page 2 (orange helmet with a turquoise face) a little bit better – nonetheless, the Farseer looks brilliant!

What exactly are the layers, you used for that purple on the cloak, I you don’t mind me asking?

FearFrost
17-01-2007, 20:30
;1223177']There's a great Farseer! I'd want to add a bit more depth to the cloak along with a slightly lighter highlight, but that's just me. ;)

Voronwe

I wish you could see the cloak in person...its a lot darker and moody, and blends a whole lot better. My lights alwyas kill my blends :\

Besides the great painting on the Farseer, I'm also quite impressed with the quality of the photo (i.e., vibrant with details very visible). Do you use a flash, or photo lights with diffuser?

Neither, just a cheap camera with macro and 2 cheap lamps with daylight bulbs. The real magic is in photoshop ;)

I have to admit that I like the Warlock's head's colour scheme on page 2 (orange helmet with a turquoise face) a little bit better Ė nonetheless, the Farseer looks brilliant!

What exactly are the layers, you used for that purple on the cloak, I you donít mind me asking?

I think there are five layers, all mixed from vallejo game color royal purple blended up with wolf gray. I couldnt tell you the mixtures, I usually dont mix that precisely :)

Oh, and a shade of royal purple mixed with black.

Thanks for the input guys,

Frost

Scorpio
18-01-2007, 01:01
The farseer looks terrific. I cant wait to see the rangers. Always loved the models. How did you do the brown on the farseer. Looks really good.

-Scorpio

Alsiaie
18-01-2007, 01:08
looks good

natedogg710
18-01-2007, 01:17
The Farseer looks great, especially the highlighting on his robes. Great job and keep it up.

FearFrost
18-01-2007, 01:40
The farseer looks terrific. I cant wait to see the rangers. Always loved the models. How did you do the brown on the farseer. Looks really good.

-Scorpio

Do you mean the little pouches, or the wraithbone chest armor thing?

The pouches are just basecoated, not finished. The armor is a base of snakebite leather, slowly highlighted up with white...probably 5 layers.

One thing I did do to this model that I dont usually do is blacklining...I think the contrast between the armor sections and robes looks pretty striking.

This is probably one of my best models... I so rarely paint character models that I usually dont break out this much blending and stuff :)

Thanks gents,

Frost

Light of the Emperor
18-01-2007, 03:00
"The pouches are just basecoated, not finished."

And even then they look pretty sweet. So...wise :cries: <-tears of understanding.

FearFrost
22-01-2007, 06:53
Some very work in progress fluff.

Craftworld Kor-Haedris

At the time of the fall, Craftworld Kor-Haedris was amongst the largest and most populated of the craftworlds that managed to make it out of Eye of Terror before it collapsed.

However, during the breakout, the hull of Kor-Haedris was breached and the unspeakable creations of She-Who-Thirsts were unleashed within the sacred interior of the craftworld. Millions of Kor-Haedris eldar suffered a soul-destroying fate during the frantic defense and breakout into real space.

The craftworld's physical form suffered massive damage, but even worse was the trauma to the collective psyche of the eldar aboard. Besides the near death of their world and the utter destruction of the majority of their members, the eldar of Kor-Haedris had suffered a worse blow: the newly formed infinity circuit was damaged almost beyond repair.

The remaining leaders of the craftworld managed to guide the heavily damaged planet-ship to the furthest system from the Eye that they could reach, a small dual-sun system called M'aera. M’aera was already populated by exodites, and of the seven planets of the sytem, three of them were hospitable, considered “maiden worlds” by the eldar.

Kor-Haedris took refuge in the system for thousands of years, licking their collective wounds and establishing strong relationships with the exodite families of M'aera. The leadership of the craftworld was established as a council of farseers, exarchs, and autarchs. The symbol of Kor-Haedris was adopted from the elusive and deadly predators of one of the exodite worlds, the winter tiger, Shal-or. The Void Tigers of Kor-Haedris were born.

The ruling council realized that the craftworld could not be moved very far under it's own power without causing irreparable damage. The decision was made to instead fortify the system against all invaders, including the burgeoning race of man. Instead of creating bulky fortresses and attempting to repel enemies, the eldar of Kor-Haedris took a different path. After a heroic effort from the psykers of the craftworld (and exodite clans) Kor-Haedris was veiled by a psychic shadow that baffled the crude navigation systems of other races. If an enemy manages to blunder it’s way into the system, the exceptionally large and aggressively led fleet of Kor-Haedris makes short work of them. This form of aggressive defense has kept the eldar presence in M’aera a collective myth to non-eldar outsiders for thousands of years.

Kor-Haedris eldar are cold and embittered about the fate of the eldar race and the rise of the threat of chaos in the galaxy. Their outlook is bleak, but their resolve is strong: they will fight chaos until the last of them fall in battle. They treat M’aera as holy ground, and viciously protect it by manipulating the future psychically and aggressive use of their military might. They also crusade to find pre-fall eldar relics, with the hope that one day their craftworld’s infinity matrix could be completely repaired. As it stands, it is very difficult for the fallen seers and leaders of Kor-Haedris’ past to be contacted from the afterlife. Some conjecture that the lack of wisdom of these deceased seers has a direct correlation to the aggressive, near-reckless military tactics of the Void Tigers.

Kor-Haedris is more inclined to open conflict than most craftworlds. Their battle tactics involve the use of almost all of the possibly aspects and troops available to them. The autarchs of Kor-Haedris stress using the correct type and amount of force with pinpoint accuracy and minimal casualties. A force of Kor-Haedris could have almost any combination of troops, as the craftworld contains a temple of every major aspect, with the exception of shining spears. The Void Tigers, like their namesake, rely on lightning-fast, vicious assaults that leave the enemy leaderless and defeated before they have even realized battle was joined.

AventineCrusader
22-01-2007, 09:24
I really, really like what you got down here. If this is the WIP progress background, I look forward to the finished product. You have inspired me to go work on my Craftoworld story some more:D ...

Crusader

chromedog
22-01-2007, 09:34
That's some very fine work, there, frost. I dips me lid to you.

I had the same problem with that farseer model. Probably a batch fault. didn't worry me as I was going to turn it into a singing spear anyway.

FearFrost
22-01-2007, 18:50
Thanks guys, I think its going pretty well too :)

Scorpio
22-01-2007, 21:35
Love the fluff fearfrost. Very good stuff. You might want to include something about where M'aera actually is but thats just a side note.

Love the fluff
-Scorpio

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 00:33
I got a wraithlord last week, thinking about converting it to a former firedragon exarch.

Rough concept:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Wraithlordconcept1.jpg

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 00:44
Another:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/Wraithlordconcept2.jpg

Pekel
24-01-2007, 03:14
Yes, yes, yes! I read a topic about this a while ago and fell in love with the idea. If my own Eldar army wasn't so strictly themed I'd definitely make an Exarch (or two)! The second concept is great. The scales/horns and axe are musts. Might want to make the loincloth scaled, like in this (http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/gallery/images/E-Fire-Dragon-Exarchs_large.gif) image.

If you can pull off the weapons, the rest shouldn't be too hard. Go for it!

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 03:17
I know I can make the pike, I already have the bitz...but the axehead and haft are the things that are worrying me.

I can do the scales, shoulderpieces, etc. I think.

Wish me luck :)

Alexandr0
24-01-2007, 03:33
Really liking those colours, my friend! Those powerful contrasts make for some really eye catching models. I know what thread i'm going to be following ;)

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 03:35
Thanks man, your WIPS are fricking incredible. Im going to use my built in space marine abilities to eat your brain and steal your NMM painting knowledge.

...or maybe I could just ask you how to do it.

Hrm.

Hellebore
24-01-2007, 03:43
I'm converting me up about 8 wraithlords done to look like an aspect warrior/exarch of each shrine.

Howling banshee - 2 wraithblades in a pirouette.
Striking scorpion - with bitingblade and shuriken catapults on either side of the head
Dire Avenger - 2 shuriken cannons on the shoulders, 2 shuriken cannons, 1 in each hand and shuriken catapults on the forearms :evilgrin:
Dark reaper - two missile launchers
Warp spider - night spinner and converted carapace

Shining Spear - pulse laser/lance riding a modified vyper :skull:

Hellebore

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 03:45
Wow man, good luck with that. Post pics!

Light of the Emperor
24-01-2007, 04:31
I really like the one with the burning fist and firepike.
Lizardmen shields have scales on them. I think they'd make for some great accent pieces.

Althanan
24-01-2007, 04:41
If you did the GS work right, the one with the Burning Fist would be a-frickin-mazing. I know you'll make it look great no matter which one you go with.

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 04:45
Yeah, Im afraid of making fire out of GS...but I know I could make it look all cool and ember-ey with paint. Im leaning towards the axe one, to be honest...anyone want to make me a Fuegan-style giant axe? :D

Althanan
24-01-2007, 04:47
Yeah, doing it in Axe form would definitely be easier. I should think it wouldn't be terribly hard to make something out of plasticard for one of your skill... I, however, would butcher the job :p

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 05:19
I dunno man, I consider myself a 7.5/10 painter, and a 3/10 modeller ;)

Hellebore
24-01-2007, 05:24
You mean like the Suin Dellae axe I'm making for my FW avatar?

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65504
(see pic at bottom of thread for final design sans runes).
:D

Hellebore

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 05:28
Similar, but more like Fuegans or the old Banshee exarchs. Just make one and mail it to me, you know you want to :D

T_55
24-01-2007, 05:44
Good to see the farseer had developed, i like the concepts you've made so far, the wraith lord looks pretty cool and the idea is nice, can't wait to see the rangers!

Evilgnome
24-01-2007, 13:15
Hey Frost,
The Second "Dragon Wraithlord" concept looks cool!(don't forget to put flamers on his arms!)

I hope you're going to paint the scale pattern on to your Wraithlord head rather than ruin those lovely smooth Eldar lines with sculpted detail?

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 18:05
I was actually thinking about sculpting some of the scales, yeah ;)

More like Fuegans helmet, along the edges, with the pointy fang things towards the bottom. I was thinking of chopping Fuegans helmet up to make a crest for my wraithlord, too, as well as using the tip of his firepike for my WL's :D

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 18:25
Slight progress...sigh. This farseer is really pissing me off. The goddamned staff broke in the middle of painting, and I found some flash on one of his orange shoulder guards...removing it pretty much ruined that guard and it will have to be completely reworked...that orange was hard, Im not sure if Im going to be able to fix it properly. Anyway, here is a pic with a WIP scorp, too. Viridian Stalker Temple:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/FarsserandscorpWIP.jpg

And the afforementioned WL firepike conversion:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Painted%20Eldar/WLwep.jpg

Just pretend they are glued together :)

Frost

Boss_Salvage
24-01-2007, 18:37
*titters at the bent fire pike*

Great WL concepts, and the scorpion is looking grand. Pity about the farseer giving you fits, but definitely keep with it, it looks gorgeous already.

- Salvage

FearFrost
24-01-2007, 18:39
Hehe, just bent it to get it in the shot ;)

Thanks man, me and that mini have a love/hate relationship right now.