PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Sotec Development Log

Pyro
20-09-2006, 02:51
As suggested in this thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47511
I will start a project log on my progress on bringing those loveable lizzies from WHFB to the gritty world of 40k. Because 40k needs a lovable beasty race - nids are ok but they bite too much!

I am not going to write my own army codex as that brings up too many things to do with game ballance and things. I don't do beardy
I simply chose an armylist to follow that sounded right. I chose Space Wolves.

Anyway. This first came arround when I had a box of saurus and a box or marines and a little bit of greenstuff. I don't know what first possesed me to do the first basterdization but the result was something that looked so damned cool that I needed to cary on doing it. Regardless of 40k/fatacy fluff.

I will be rewriting the Space Wolf codex to change around the names as calling some large, hard saurus marine a wolf lord just doesn't seem right to me. Anyway, here are some pictures to get this log started:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27524994/?qo=55&q=by%3Apyroteamkill+sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27525390/?qo=54&q=by%3Apyroteamkill+sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

Scorpio
20-09-2006, 03:11
40k needs a lovable beasty race - nids are ok but they bite too much!

Quite true:D
I have seen sauras tau but never a marines. This should be really cool i want to see this.

-Scorpio

Pyro
20-09-2006, 09:54
Thank you very much.

Quick update: Possible unit name repalcements.
HQ

Wolf Lord- Saurus Oldblood
Wolf Gaurd Battle Leader- Saurus Scar Veteran
Rune Priest- Skink Priest
Wolf Priest- Skink Healer

HQ/Elites

Venerable Dreadnought- Not yet known

Elites

Dreadnought- Not yet known
Wolf Gaurd- Temple Gaurd/Kroxigors(When in terminator armour)
Wolf Scouts- Skink Scouts
Iron Priest- Skink Mechanic
Thrall- Skink assistants

Troops

Grey Hunters- Saurus
Blood Claws- Saurus Horned Ones/Mark of Sotec

Fast Attack

Blood Claws Bikes- Saurus Cavelry
Land Speeders- Terradons
Attack Bikes- Heavy Saurus Cavelry

Heavy Support

Long Fangs- Sausrs Support
Leman Russ Exterminator- Not yet known
Whirlwind- Salamader (name only)
Predator- Carnisaur (name only)
Land Raider- Stegadon (name only)
Vindicator- Not yet known

Notes:
-The technology behing the machine spirit cannot be determined so to replace it vehicles are imbued with the spirit/mind of animals to perform the tasks of the machine spirit instead. Hence they have been renamed to whatever creature they hold. A bit corny
I know but it sounds like cool fluff.
-I'm not sure what to turn into Dreadnoughts. I was thinking cyborg carnisaur :chrome: at one point with guns strapped to it. But perhaps I could use Kroxigors instead. Give me some feedback on the matter. :confused:
-The entries labled 'Not yet known' are simply the ones I havn't come up with any names/equivelents for yet.

Scorpio
20-09-2006, 21:11
Sounding cool mate! A carnisaur with guns strapped to it...I like the sound of that very much! Keep going on everything mate dont get bogged down trust me!

-Scorpio

Pyro
21-09-2006, 00:49
I'll try not to. Thanks for the encouraging words!

no-use4a-name
21-09-2006, 00:57
A very unique idea. I wish I could help out on the "not yet known" stuff.

It's hard for me to give any suggestions w/o being able to visualize what you have in mind. If you have a test model, that would be helpful if posted.

Scorpio
21-09-2006, 02:18
A very unique idea. I wish I could help out on the "not yet known" stuff.

It's hard for me to give any suggestions w/o being able to visualize what you have in mind. If you have a test model, that would be helpful if posted.

Ummm man those last 2 links are models...

-Scorpio

Pyro
21-09-2006, 13:07
Scorpios got a point there although maybe I should actully put them on the forum.

no-use4a-name
21-09-2006, 16:43
No, it was late and I veiwed this thread a little too quickly. I thought that they were links in your Sig. Sorry. I try not to click on links in Sigs too often. You can use Scorpio's Sig as an example.

Now, onto the thread. I really like the look of the Cold One rider. This is just a suggestion, instead of Space Wolves why not use Ravenwing? You already have 3 really good alternatives for "counts as".

Pyro
21-09-2006, 20:03
Well I'm not too familier with the Ravenwing armylist. Thats Dark Templers right?
I'll have a look into it. What "really good alternatives" were you thinking of for them?

no-use4a-name
21-09-2006, 21:08
Well I'm not too familier with the Ravenwing armylist. Thats Dark Templers right?
I'll have a look into it. What "really good alternatives" were you thinking of for them?

I was refering to what you had listed under fast attack. What I would suggest for attack bikes would be a saurus pulled chariot complete w/ driver and gunner.

Scorpio
21-09-2006, 23:46

Its Dark Angels and basically you only have bikes and landspeeders.(all kinds of both.) And i agree i would love to see a cold one marine cavalry army. That would be incredibly sweet.

Yes Dont trust my sig as no-use learned the hard way....:evilgrin:

-Scorpio

Pyro
22-09-2006, 01:37
a saurus pulled chariot complete w/ driver and gunner.

ZOMG that would kick so much ass! I've gotta try that. I'll do some concept sketches tonight.

Pyro
24-09-2006, 14:31
Yo dudes.
I knocked up some sketches for some of the units in this army including the awesome chariot idea mentioned by no-use4a-name.

I'll talk about each one in order.

1- Sarous Warior. Standard unit. I've already made some of these.
2- Marked One Of Sotec. These dudes are like the saurus just spikeyer, meener and redder. I've made a head for one of these dudes and it looks pretty cool.
3- Skink Mechanic. Yeah this dude looks pretty pissed off. Not too sure what I'm going to do with these dudes. Probably a cross between military mechanic dress and the tribal garb the lizzies have.
4- Cold One Chariot. Probably manned by skinks. The main body will be made from a sentinal and the gun and rail may be stolen from an old land speeder I have. Wheel is a space marine bike wheel. I'm not too sure what I'm going to build the harnis out of yet. Probably some sprue.

Any suggestions or thoughts dudes?

no-use4a-name
24-09-2006, 15:22
Those ideas are pretty cool. I like the idea of #2 the best. There's nothing scarier than a really pissed off 8' tall genetically engineered Space Lizard, that spits acid. Really inventive using the Sentinal for the chariot. And, nice sketches BTW.

Pyro
24-09-2006, 15:29
Thank you although I'm not sure if the Marked Ones spit acid.

no-use4a-name
24-09-2006, 15:37
Thank you although I'm not sure if the Marked Ones spit acid.

No, but Marines do.

Pyro
24-09-2006, 15:39
Since when?

no-use4a-name
24-09-2006, 15:45
Since when?

There aren't any rules for it. Just fluff in a WD article a few years back. It's a gland, name escapes me, that they get implanted with. There are a few Chapters that don't get this implant. I think Imp Fist are one. Don't quote me.

yerpo
24-09-2006, 15:57
Yeah, it's nothing that would affect rules, just a handy way for breaking out of metal-barred cells, for example.

Pyro
24-09-2006, 19:05
Oh I see now.
Sorry. I havn't read WD in quite some time.

Scorpio
25-09-2006, 00:31
Woopa havent been on in alittle bit...
I love all the ideas there but i must agree number 2 is teh sweetest!
Marines spit acid? Cool!

-Scorpio