PDA

View Full Version : Crown of Taidron

AngelofSorrow
20-09-2006, 06:00
So today i went browsing through my new rulebook and was reading the lore of shadow as one of my wizards will be using it and read the spell the Crown of Taidron. I was like:wtf: that is kind of a strange spell hitting friend and foe alike. What makes it even stranger to me is now with the lack of protection from shooting characters now get wizards even more so I can see alot people skipping this spell in favor of steed of shadows provided they didn't roll a 1 for generating spells anyway.

What are your thoughts on this new addition to the lore of Shadows?

Griefbringer
20-09-2006, 06:10
Is this really the proper place to discuss this - I think the wording on the spell is clear and explicit as it is.

As for tactical usage, combine the Crown of Taidron with Steed of Shadows and you can have your wizard flying behind the enemy battle line and casting this spell to cause quite some havoc!

AngelofSorrow
20-09-2006, 06:14
Is this really the proper place to discuss this - I think the wording on the spell is clear and explicit as it is.

As for tactical usage, combine the Crown of Taidron with Steed of Shadows and you can have your wizard flying behind the enemy battle line and casting this spell to cause quite some havoc!

yeah sorry slight mix up i thought i was in tactics forum

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-09-2006, 07:39
I don't know, it seems pretty pointless to me. Even with flying behind enemy lines you are only doing what, d6 str 4 hits? Not really that devastating, and it leaves your mage in a very bad position.

T10
20-09-2006, 07:57
He's only in a bad position if you put him there...

"He can FLY, Jim! Goddamit, he can FLY!"

-T10

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-09-2006, 08:06
He can only fly if someone else used steed of shadows on him to get him there, and if your opponent doesn't dispel his own attempt to do it :p

And yes, of course, he might not end up in a bad place. But generally, flying a mage unsupported into the middle of your opponents army is quite lethal for the mage in question.

vorac
20-09-2006, 08:31
personally i think the only good spells in shadow are the last 3, even though the 4th spell is also in death, now the lore of metal now thats an interesting lore especially the last spell vs. cavalry:)

Griefbringer
20-09-2006, 09:26
He can only fly if someone else used steed of shadows on him to get him there, and if your opponent doesn't dispel his own attempt to do it :p

Well, level 2 wizard with powerstone shouldn't have all that much trouble to cast both of the spells on himself in one turn - though unless you are going magic heavy, it shouldn't be that tough for enemy to dispel them either.

Another way to go would be to place the wizard in question on a horse and have him running close to the enemy battleline (much dangerous than flying, since you would not get behind the enemy line) or on a flying mount such as pegasus, in which case he can fly more reliably than with a spell, though he becomes more obvious too.

Honestly, I would not expect a lone wizard behind the enemy battleline to have too long life expectancy unless he gets very lucky (and your enemy does not have any fast cavalry, skirmishers or suitable characters close by to send immediately after him), but there is a chance that the confusion caused by him would be worth it - remember that he would also block enemy marching for one turn.

As for the effectiveness of the spell, I have to admit that D6 hits per unit is not that huge amount, but with 12" radius you should be able to affect a good number of units. Imagine an Empire battleline with plenty of artillery pieces and detachments all over the place.

NakedFisherman
20-09-2006, 14:03
Keep in mind many wizards can also either fly or use a flying mount.