PDA

View Full Version : The Chalice of Darkness and the 7th ed magic phase...

metro_gnome
20-09-2006, 11:59
well first i better write down the whole text:

Chalice of Darkness (arcane item): You may choose to roll D3 at the start of either player's Magic phase. Remove this many dice from both players magic pools. 50 pts
is this limited to the army pool?
or am i allowed to choose to go after a specific characters power dice?

ZomboCom
20-09-2006, 12:10
I can't imagine why you'd ever want to use that dreadful item anyway.

T10
20-09-2006, 12:12
It does not extend to characters.

It's actually quite nasty regardless. Two level 2 Wizards can normally rely on casting one spell each at 3 power dice. If the magic pool is drained, then this severely limits the wizards' indicidual capacity.

-T10

ZomboCom
20-09-2006, 12:13
It does not extend to characters.

It's actually quite nasty regardless. Two level 2 Wizards can normally rely on casting one spell each at 3 power dice. If the magic pool is drained, then this severely limits the wizards' indicidual capacity.

-T10

Yes, but since it also drains the dispell pool it's not all that useful.

Festus
20-09-2006, 12:13
*pool* means *pool*, not character. Should it have meant *character* they would've written *character*, or wouldn't they?

Festus

edit: and the item can be great if there is already a certain imbalance between the two dice pools: In defense, the CD player can make it harder for his oponent to get off a spell, in offense, he can make dispelling harder...

metro_gnome
20-09-2006, 12:44
ah yes... but not having the 7th ed book infront of me...
i wasnt sure about the specific wording of the new magic phase...
and power dice generation...

characters don't generate individual "pools" do they?
because if they did... the chalice would act on all pools present...
making it worse than just targeting a specific characters power dice as i had surmised up above...

in the past the chalice was only ever really useful if you maxed out in magic in a low point (1k or less) game...
removing 3 PD from your 8PD pool is not terrible when it obliterates your opponents dispel pool...
in larger games 3 dice is insubstantial either way...

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-09-2006, 12:50
3 dice is a whole spell, or a dispel attempt, so can be quite important.

metro_gnome
20-09-2006, 12:54
yes but its also yours aswell...
ultimately it has the effect of causing a magic phase form two lesser magic teams...
essentially meaning that when it is used both players have wasted a fair amount of points in the magic phase...
the CD player probabaly more... as he purchased the item as well...

T10
20-09-2006, 13:49
Primary benefit: Choice.

You use the item when it suits you, e.g. you use it while your opponent is in dominance. Less dispel dice for the opponent means he has to use Dispel Scrolls for protection. Less power dice means he can use less powerful spells.

Once you have the upper hand you no longer need the item.

metro_gnome
20-09-2006, 18:43
hmmm... i guess you'll have to give it a go...
i've never found it worth 50 points...

so where the army pool has only 2 dice in it... and a 3 is rolled...
only the two pool dice are removed? the third cannot be removed... correct?

Festus
20-09-2006, 18:49
Hi

Yes, correct. If there is no 3rd dice, it cannot be removed...

Festus

ZomboCom
20-09-2006, 21:48
50 points, for an item that cripples you as much as it cripples the enemy.

Sure, there are a couple of situations where it could prove useful, but never as useful as a couple of scrolls or power stones.

metro_gnome
20-09-2006, 22:24
well if it removes only 2 PD in most situations and 3 DD at the same time...
you are coming out ahead if you use it in your own magic phase...
it the past i would have not used it... but in 7th i may give it a try...

eldrak
21-09-2006, 09:47
All dispel dice is generated to the pool, i think this item just got a lot better in 7th ed.

If you have 8 dice and opponent 4 dispel you can cast three spells of which one or two will be dispelled
You use the Chalice get lucky and roll a 3. Your opponent will now have 1 dice and you will have 6. Now he'll have to use scrolls to stop you.