PDA

View Full Version : Law and Order

Inquisitor Engel
31-03-2005, 04:22
I'll get this straight out of my system before it takes over the Battlestar Galactica thread.

I love Law and Order. In order of how much I like them, I can't really choose between regular Law and Order and SVU. I love Brisko, he was fantatic, unfortunately Jerry Orbach passed away, I haven't really had time to assess to the new guy. I also think McCoy is a great, great actor. He's an amazing, amazing lawyer too, or at least he would be. He's persuasive.

SVU I just like because of the subject matter, it's more interesting, and I enjoy Munch. Just because he's a wise-ass. :D And Detective Benson is hot. ;) So is the DA. (Both of them have been)

The lead detective in Criminal Intent annoys me from time to time, knowing too much, but he's grown on me. He traps people too easily, thinks too fast, almost too fast for a real person. Again, it does grow on me. Sometimes those crimes are just more fun.

Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to formulate an opinion on Trial by Jury, too new. But it has promise. Different, but good.

So, thoughts? Questions? Comments?

Adept
31-03-2005, 04:47
In order, I like SVU, Law and Order regular, then Criminal Intent. We don't get Trail By Jury here yet.

SVU seems more, I dont know, intense? than the other Law and Orders. It's hard to pin it down, but it just seems like the stories in it carry more personal weight. Also, Engel is right. Both of the DAs are (were) hot.

Detective Goran (sp?) from Criminal Intent just irks me. He's too cocky and too 'right' all the time. The guy never makes mistakes, or if he does they always work out for the best. I'd like to see him get outsmarted from time to time.

New Cult King
31-03-2005, 07:01
See, I like Detective Goran. What I hate is how they advertise the next episode by saying something like "Detective Goran may have met his match..." or "Detective Goran discovers something he has never come up against before..." and when the episode rocks around, it has nothing to do with the hype. Very poo.

SVU is great. Probably my favourite. The main detective reminds me of my dad.

Ever since the guy who played Brisko died though, I haven't been real interested in the other L&O...

It's one of the few shows (series? serials?) that I will make an effort to watch. CSI just seems all too easy. NCIS is fun though - Gabby is teh hawt.

Ouroboros
01-04-2005, 11:32
My satalite was out for the last few weeks reducing me to a single channel a channel that apparently had an almost sick affection for Law and Order that I hadn't previously noticed. I've been a little overloaded in recent weeks as such.

I've always liked the show in general though. I've been watching L&O classic for years.

In order of preference now.

Criminal Intent: I love Goren and I love the extended 10 minute long mind****s he pulls on the sap of the week at the end of every episode. It's like Highlander only instead of decapitations the villian of the week gets hung by his own emotions and character flaws and generally made a fool of/tricked into confessing. Goren has been beaten though. There was a woman who beat him. I forget her name but she beat him once and then again when she re-appared in a later episode.

The only thing I'll hold agaisnt CI is that the "Order" part is often extremely minimalized. I often wonder what ultimately happens to the various people Goren hooks.

In the next season apparently Chris Noth is going to step up and take over as the lead in half the episodes I'm told. That'll be a cool flashback to classic L&O.

Trial by Jury: I've only seen a few episodes of this but so far I'm really liking it a lot. Bebe Neuwirth is great as ADA Kibre. I liked her on Frasier and I like her character here. The series itself is also interesting in the greater depth it provides for the order/court side of law and order, particularly in regard to the judges and predictably jurys, both of which were rather unexplored in previous series. This show is pretty much the opposite in composition from CI with it's emphasises the law/investigation part. TBJ is all about the courtroom battle, cop involvment tends to be minimal and secondary.

SVU: I like Stabler and Benson and I find that of all the cases in the various shows the ones that appear on SVU are typically the most interesting. I don't really like the order portion of this series though mainly because I can't really warm up to Novak for some reason. Benson (Mariska Hargitay) is seriously hot though mmmkay.

Law and Order: I've got to rank the former classic series at the bottem of the heap at this time. It's just boring to me at the moment and I can't quite put my finger on why. The only reason I still watch it really is for Mr. Mc Coy. I can't warm up to the new cops in this one at all.

Delicious Soy
02-04-2005, 06:23
See, I like Detective Goran. What I hate is how they advertise the next episode by saying something like "Detective Goran may have met his match..." or "Detective Goran discovers something he has never come up against before..." and when the episode rocks around, it has nothing to do with the hype. Very poo.Just about all of Channel 10's adverts are like that though, constantly missing the point of what they're actually advertising. Criminal Intent is my favourite, as Ouroboros said the ten minute mind **** at the end is laways entertaining as he plays them big time before trapping them. They guy who play Goren is apparently hospitalised by nervous tension, which is hardly surprising giving the intense performance he puts into the character.

NCIS is fun though - Gabby is teh hawt.I like NCIS too. It has a good assortment of characters that all get their say in practically every episode without it seeming too 'busy'. And hot Gabby doesn't hamper the show either :p. One of the few shows where I like all the characters.

Inquisitor Engel
04-04-2005, 06:22
The only reason I still watch it really is for Mr. Mc Coy. I can't warm up to the new cops in this one at all.
McCoy is great. He gets beat from time to time, which is refreshing. But I'll agree with NCK, since Brisko died, it just hasn't been the same. :(

Might I remind you all, that just because the swear filter doesn't work, is no reason to use it. :p

I just think Goran is too cocky sometimes. He does just KNOW TOO MUCH sometimes. He peices things together too quickly too well, the first time, and then finds evidence supporting it, rather than having to revise his theory of the crime, like the other detectives.

When SVU gets its first major cast change it'll be pretty interesting. I like Captain Cragan too - And Ice T. a stirling (If ironic) cop.

Ouroboros
04-04-2005, 08:07
Yeah I almost forgot about Ice-T, I like his character a lot to. Goren never really struck me as cocky really. He always came across as one of those sorta strange weirdo guys that's freakishly good at one thing and not particularly noteworthy at anything else. He's hardly a perfect superman. I'd imagine for one thing that his life outside his job is probably far less eventful than that of any of the other law and order cops. It makes sense to me then that he's better at his work. He puts everything into it.

Inquisitor Engel
04-04-2005, 16:12
He's hardly a perfect superman. I'd imagine for one thing that his life outside his job is probably far less eventful than that of any of the other law and order cops. .

He strikes me as a closet alcoholic to be honest. When go goes home. Deals with a lot. We don't see anything about his life outside of work. Stabler has/had a family, Benson can't get a date once they know what she does for a living, Brisko was an alcoholic divorcee etc etc.

violenceha
05-04-2005, 01:24
well they're certainly no Columbo!
but they're still alright, i get tired of all the character development plots, just stick to the crimes and stop having the characters getting all emotionally involved.