PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Highborn builds

Sinew
21-09-2006, 10:25
On another thread I was getting into a discussion about why you would ever take a WE highborn, so I thought rather than sidetrack someone else's topic I'd start my own.

My perspective is that it's hard to get much out of a Wood Elf Highborn unless you put him on a Dragon. He's almost twice the cost of a Noble, and his stat increases don't make him that much better. You pay a lot of Ld 10, and WE get less use out of it than most armies, as their units tend to spread out and many are immune to psychology. In addition any kindred upgrades will be more expensive. Finally, although taking the Highborn makes Eternal Guard core, it denies you access to a Treeman Ancient or a Spellweaver.

Bearing the above in mind I am interested in knowing what those people who take Highborns equip them with. Due to most nice WE magic items being about 25-35 pts (the helm of the hunt being the notable exception) it is often hard to get a good combo of equipment on a Noble. So please post examples to the Highborns you have fielded and why they're worth their points.

To get the ball rolling, the ones I have considered are:

1. Highborn, Great Sword, Amber Pendant and Hail of Doom Arrow - 209pts. Leads a unit of 8 Wardancers with a bladesinger.
The advantage I saw of this guy was that he would give the wardancers something they don't normally have - high strength - while they would give him protection from magic/shooting so he didn't need a costly protective item. It also allows me to get the HoDA into the army which sometimes isn't easy.
2. Highborn, Wardancer Kindred, Annoyance of Netlings, Blades of Loec - 255pts. Leads a unit of 8 Wardancers.
This alternative build makes the Wardancers even more offensive than the build above, and the Highborn is deadly to enemy characters. The Blades of Loec aren't really essential, but they do give him some punch against tough opponents.

Both of the above lead wardancers because a skirmishing unit allows the highborn to move around freely, but don't require him to head off away from the main force. This gives you the best chance of taking advantage of his Leadership. I'd be interested to see what anyone else has come up with.

Iziuth
21-09-2006, 15:42
Hi, I used a highborn with great weapon, "helm of the hunt", "amber pendant", "elynett's brooch", and "annoyance of netlings"
It was for a game against dwarfs and he was in a unit of 19 eternal guard. It gives him a chance to charge (due to move 5) and in a challenge he kills most things without dying himself. I used the brooch to make sure that the eternal guard wouldn't run away on a failed psy test. Also taking a highborn makes eternal guard core instead of special.

Also I don't think you can give a great weapon to a wardancer highborn.

I'm also considering using a highborn (wild rider kindred) on a great stag with "the oaken armour" and the "wraith stone". Can be a nice combo against orcs or skaven especially when you maken the unit cause terror with the spell "the twilight host"

I find most other kindreds useless for a highborn (or a noble for that matter) only an alter noble can be usefull. Although they ussually carry the "hail doom arrow" and the "helm of the hunt" and a great weapon.

Alathir
21-09-2006, 15:46
One of mine is.. amber pendant, helm of the hunt, annoyance of netlings, great weapon and a member of the alter kindred.

Very deadly.. but not a little vulnerable with 7th edition.

truthsayer
21-09-2006, 17:13
One of mine. Elven steed, light armour, spear, annoyance, rhymers harp.

Goes in a unit of eternal guard at one end. My bsb goes at the other end on an elven steed with ariels banner. Challenge to soak up attacks. Give the eternals the dwindling banner or war banner and your set.

NEEEEEEH
NEEEEEEH

Dont underestimate the power of this unit. especially with fear. and 5+wards on everything plus all the combat res and denial. its harder than it looks.

Sinew
22-09-2006, 14:58
Also I don't think you can give a great weapon to a wardancer highborn.The highborn with the great weapon is not a member of the Wardancer Kindred. You don't have to be a Wardancer to join a unit of them, which is a tactic put to use by many players to hide their mages and battle standards.

DarkTerror
22-09-2006, 15:16
I have to say I love a highborn. Great weapon is a wonderful weapon for him. Annoyance of Netlings is almost a must have.

Bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkins is good.

The Hail of Doom Arrow should not go on your Lord model. It's one use only, and he doesn't even have better BS than a hero. So give it to a hero (or even your mage if you've got room).

Khisanth
27-09-2006, 14:27
Not sure about the rest of you, but my experience so far has taught me that magic is not the way to go with Wood Elves. Our magic does not have much punch to it (though it does add some tricks to our bag, which is great), so that's why I opt for the Highborn. I'm currently trying him out as a Waywatcher, though this does stop me from using him with a Great Weapon. Another build I was thinking about was the Great Stag/DawnSpear, which creates a small, but powerful cavalry unit. Any thoughts?

Morgrin
27-09-2006, 16:40
Personally I prefer the Treeman Ancient. Highborns are quite expensive and very frail.

the anti santa
27-09-2006, 19:58
But what about the new lore of beasts?

That looks really juicy for taking on Bretts, which Wood Elves can struggle against.

Highborn
27-09-2006, 22:28
Wood Elves really struggle with armour imo, and the Arcane Bodkins/Bow of Loren can really help with that. It won't make its points back unless you get lucky and panic and break an enemy off the field, but it will let the rest of the army perform at full efficiency.

Malen Kharn
29-09-2006, 11:10
A good anti-ogre combo is the bow of loren and hagbane arrows. you can take down 4 ogres a turn.

Mallen

Jorren
30-09-2006, 18:18
I guess the question I would ask, since I havent been playing many 2k games, is does the highborn with boL/AB (200ish points if I recall correctly?) pay for himself against heavy cav?

just a question

Jorren

Von Wibble
30-09-2006, 19:33
Short answer - yes!

The 200 odd points aren't just for the shooting. That is only 60pts - (3 knights - or 2 elite knights, which can be done in 1-2 rounds of shooting). The rest of the points still get you a great weapon and protective item (annoyance of netlings or amaranthine brooch for example), stubborn on eternal guard (this IS bretonnians that the combo is mostly used on), Ld 10 etc - and this means you can still add most of the skills posessed by a Highborn with better weaponry. The stand and shoot plus 2 rounds of shooting should negate 1 units ability to break you in combat minimum.

Not that I can think of much better weaponry against knight heavy armies - I don't really rate most of the magic weapons (enemy reroll their saves at 3+ is slightly better than -1 on saves and more expensive even combnied with reroll to wound)

One of my favourite combos is Wardancer, Blades of Loec, Moonstone. I generally go with Wardancer lords except against Brets and the like where I use the above.

aeon flux
26-10-2006, 13:28
hi everybody, i'm a newb

what's best combo for leading an army against magic heavy TK, and heavy infantry like O&G or Lizzies?

Alathir
26-10-2006, 15:07
I'm a regular opponent of TK and my advice for you is to have a killy lord. Your shooting builds will do next to zilch against the undead... a good wild rider highborn, (spear of twilight, for those tough as tomb kings, the armour of the fey and the glamourweave or the annoyance of netlings is a good combo) or you could do a sexy wardancer highborn and challenge the nearest characters.

Von Wibble
26-10-2006, 20:04
Against tomb kings I would not use a highborn. Spellweaver with wand of reroll dispels (forgotten its name) is imo more valuable. But if its a larger game and there is a slot spare alathir's advice is good. Just watch out for shooting with a wardancer...

aeon flux
31-10-2006, 13:06
thanks guys.
all I have yet is the battle force (battallion), spellweaver and a lord on foot with GW.

dryads
glade riders
glade guard
hero on foot
sorceror

I'm thinking about wild riders too. what are the best uses for them? are they shock or decoy cav?
Treemen, treekin: best uses?
glade guard archers: how many per unit?

plus, which do you recommend?
etternal guard
waywatchers
wardancers
giant eagle riders

your luv, please.