PDA

View Full Version : Quik question

Cycorax
21-09-2006, 15:05
Hey, i just have a question, it may sound stupid but when i looked for it i couldn't find anything on it yet I'm sure i remember something about this...:chrome:

OK, if a unit has 2 units that they can charge, do they have no choice but to charge the closest regiment? IL make a funky diagram...

.......................Unit 1 > ======

............Unit 2 > ++++

...........Charging unit> -------

assuming they unit 1 and 2 are within line of sight, can you choose who to charge or would they have to charge unit 2? Sorry about the tacky diagram!

Thanks!

Atrahasis
21-09-2006, 15:16
You can choose. Nothing in the rules says you must charge what is closest (barring certain compulsory charges such as "Unruly" for the Beasts).

Cycorax
21-09-2006, 15:19
Hmm, then doesnt this make the detchment rule quite useless in defence, the charging unit can just easily charge the detachment and break it? why would the charger charge the parent if he can easily just break the detachment and get behind the parent.

Atrahasis
21-09-2006, 15:21
Yes, the weakness of detachments has always been that the enemy can choose to charge them instead of (or as well as) the parent unit. However, if you play around with different formations I'm sure you can come up with some that will prevent such chicanery.

T10
21-09-2006, 15:23
You can use the CODE tags to create awesome ASCII graphics like this

x
x x
x x x
x x x x
x

No, you do not need to charge the closest unit.

-T10

Cycorax
21-09-2006, 15:26
OK thanks all, shall do some formation fiddling...:p

T10
21-09-2006, 15:29
Correctly positioned the detachments may be out of reach of the chargers. Anyways, the detatchments can Flee! as a charge reaction, leaving the chargers stranded in front of the parent unit.

But that's a tactics discussion.

-T10

Festus
21-09-2006, 18:45
Hi

Correctly positioned the detachments may be out of reach of the chargers. Anyways, the detatchments can Flee! as a charge reaction, leaving the chargers stranded in front of the parent unit.

But that's a tactics discussion.
Yes, that is a tactics discussion, but on a rules point: Remember that detatchments never cause panic in friendlies! That is huge!

Festus