PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Chaos Package in Last WD

pwrgmrguard
22-09-2006, 01:13
I am getting the Hordes of Chaos package that they have grouped together in the direct services part of the last WD that came out.My question what is the best grouping for 36 warriors of Chaos?? ie how many men in how many units and how many ranks. I am a complete N00B, even though i have used khorne characters in one on one fights.

ROCKY
22-09-2006, 03:32
It depends, if u play nurgle, then I say split it to two units of 18 or one unit of 20 ans the other of 15 , so it should look like 6X3 in the first scenario (18per unit) ans 5x4 or 5x3 depends on if u want 15 or 20. for khorne 14 per unit are fine 7x2. tzeentch....ask someone else lol, I do not see warriors of tzeentch as worth it really (no offense to tzeentch players)

MarcoPollo
22-09-2006, 04:28
Chaos warriors are junky. Avoid their purchase if at all possible. The stats on them look good, but the cost per model starts to add up. Give me 200 pts of marauders over 200 pts of Chaos warriors any day.

If you already have them, then I'd go with set of 10 Khorne with Halberds and shields (and no command). Keep them as cheap and as deadly as possible. Don't even think of giving them extended ranks beyond their minimum allowance.

I know that alot of others will have more positive things to say about Chaos Wariors, but I will not. I have 32 of them, well painted and all that, but I havent used them in about 2 years. There are just too many other options.

AngelofSorrow
22-09-2006, 07:22
Chaos Warriors are phenomenal mine have hacked their way through nearly every type of combat infantry found in the game (and then some) Purchase them as much as possible.

They are best when teamed up with nice big Beast Herds to screen and add supporting charges where appropriate

As far as grouping goes 18 in a 5x3 +3 is what works best for me.
What mark are you intending on using?

@MarcoPollo the only thing I have found my maurauders good at is running.:p

Shaitan
22-09-2006, 08:27
@MarcoPollo the only thing I have found my maurauders good at is running.

And outnumbering, 3 ranks, standard.. that makes 5 static CR. With light armour and shield they have a 4+ save in combat. They are a prety decent unit to hold some charges (if not flanked).

I prefer Marauders over Chaos Warriors but if you want to use them, make small units. I think 3x12 is better than 2x18.

You should try to make a frontage of 6, and Halberds and shields are a very common setup. Maybe upgrade one unit to chosen (alltough that makes them very expensive) and you could consider giving them the Mark of Khorne for the extra attacks. I wouldn't waste points on a command group, Warriors gain their strengths from their many attacks.

Pravus
22-09-2006, 08:33
@MarcoPollo the only thing I have found my maurauders good at is running.

Then you're not using them correctly! The advent of 7th edition makes them even better in fact. One aspiring champion of Nurgle can make an entire unit of marauders immune to fear. What is more, they no longer have to worry about psychology once they're in combat - which is where they should be anyway.

Chaos warriors in my opinion work best in small units with a large number of attacks, preferably in the flank of the enemy to remove their rank bonus. But then, when you compare the points, a unit of Chaos Knights is arguably better than the same amount of points in Warriors if only because of the better armour save and the increased mobility.

AngelofSorrow
23-09-2006, 06:26
Then you're not using them correctly!
You must have missed the Smiley at the end of my comment
what I mean is that no matter what I do with them they seem to scatter to the 4 winds with no problem. It comes down to a matter of rolling dice. And when I roll dice for my Maurauders it most of the time never comes up the way I want it too.

With my warriors however I do really good!
Like this evening I played 4000pts against an army of Sylvania list.
My Khorne Warriors took on 1 unit of Black knights and a flank charge by a summoned unit of skellies and won the combat 3 times in a row.
My small unit of Slaanesh warrios with my Lord held their ground against a 30 strong unit of Drakenhof guard that included a Vamp Lord and a Vamp thrall.
By turn 6 it was down to 10 of my warriors my lord and 5 Guard and the thrall.

My 20 strong unit of marauders charged a 15 strong zombie unit failed to wound any of them took 3 casualties ran 4" and were run down. Typical

Gregourious
23-09-2006, 12:20
I too have been very disappointed with my Maurders and have slowly been adding to the Chaos worriors each game. The last being chosen, two hand weapons, khorne 5*3 with full command and an aspiring champion. I spent the whole game protecting their flanks and they killed everything they meet. They were too many points in one unit but they were good.

The Mauraders once again died to a man in the first battle. They did however tie up a large part of the opposing beast army so even though they died they did their job.

Decide what you want them to do kill, hold, divert, distract etc and tool them for that.

2cents spent

Voltaire
23-09-2006, 15:22
Aha, the new psychology rules are excellent for Nurgle. It almost makes using my beast horde a consideration again.

Marauders are good, just a pain to paint in my experience. I prefer the nice shiny armour of Chaos Warriors. I run them in two units of 18.

Incoming
25-09-2006, 18:39
What was in this Chaos Package?

MarcoPollo
26-09-2006, 01:17
mine have hacked their way through nearly every type of combat infantry found in the game (and then some) :p

I don't know man. I used to play alot against TK and VC and they used to always auto break. I don't need them to kill everything in sight. I need them to be reliable and with their cost they take away from other strengths in my army. It all comes down to what the Econ 100 prof says about "opportunity cost" (i.e. what else could you get for the same resources).

If I can afford 300 pts. I will take 200 of marauders (25 with full command) and 100 of marauder horsemen (Flails/champion/musician) and use my flank/rank/numbers to give me way more than 16 warriors with full command can do.

The chaos wariors are fluffy indeed. But tactically they are slow, can be avoided, can be flanked, can be shot to peices by guns until they are reduced to a single line. I have had a SAD army reduce them to 2 men by they time they got to the front lines. I have had them break from a black knight charge on several occaisons. As an anvil, they seem to not give me as much for my points as a huge unit of marauders.

AngelofSorrow
26-09-2006, 05:12
I use them because for me they get the job done. and that makes me a happy gamer.
I used to use quite a few marauders with small warrior units but they always ran on me its frustrating although i must say i rarely rolled under 10" for their flee distance they just always let me down so i traded most of them out for some beast herds and more warriors at it works for me

fubukii
26-09-2006, 06:34
chaos warriors are good 6 or 7 wide to max out on your attacks as thats their strength not static cr. I think warriors of khorne are the way to go (as 1 str4 attack isnt worth their points But 2 isnt shabby :))

DirtJumper
26-09-2006, 19:36
6 is actually the most you will get against most infantry units, so if at all (see my coments on this in other threads ;)) use them in units of 12, 6x2, and Khorne with Halbreds all the way. Of course, if you like other Gods, there's nothing stoping you from taking them with other marks (or just MoCU), this is just the most effective way to use them game-wise.

Gekiganger
26-09-2006, 19:58
Aha, the new psychology rules are excellent for Nurgle. It almost makes using my beast horde a consideration again.

Marauders are good, just a pain to paint in my experience. I prefer the nice shiny armour of Chaos Warriors. I run them in two units of 18.

Considering characters may only join units with the same mark It's not that big a boost.

What was in this Chaos Package?

I'd also like to know...:)

Incoming
27-09-2006, 13:20
I think it's actually units with the same mark or units with no mark.
Correct me if mistaken (only after checking armybook please)...

MarcoPollo
28-09-2006, 02:38
Yes, incomming is right. You can put normal characters in a marauder unit.