PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Nurgle (mortal) possible?

blurred
22-09-2006, 08:13
I've seen a couple of mortal Nurgle hordes recently and IMO they have all been a bit 'soft'. I am aware that Nurgle is possibly the worst of the chaos gods: fear is handy but with expensive troops like warriors outnumbering is not an option and Nurgle's magic is decent at best.

I've tried making a competitive Nurgle army, but I always get the feeling that without the mark of Nurgle I would save a lot of points and the army would be even better. Nurgle's daemons don't fill me with confidence either. Sure the plaguebearers are tough and nurglings are nice to have around, but with movement 4 the rest of the army should be designed around them and this would make it a slow footslogging horde which IMHO is always bad with chaos.

So what are your opinions about Nurgle. Is it possible to use Nurgle's strengths (whatever they are) and make a competitive mortal horde dedicated to the father of despair?

DisruptorX
22-09-2006, 10:33
Yes, provided you don't actually give your units the mark of nurgle. :p

Just take nurgle characters, some plaguebearers, and then whatever else you want. I don't really like warriors anyway. A unit of 10 chaos knights with the mark of nurgle would be brutal, if a bit of target.

I'm building up a mortal nurgle army, and all my infantry is maruaders anyway, so no marks. Mark of Nurgle costs way too much to waste on something like a chariot.

Darkwolf
22-09-2006, 10:38
yea, the mark of nurgle is best kept for heroes or things like spawns, i dnt find the fear for like 40pts i think it is ent worth it, note i play beasts, but it still the same idea applies, but, it is a good mark i find for beastman heroes, extra wound for them is very handy

Pravus
22-09-2006, 10:41
The Mark of Nurgle is quite cheap for a chariot! Lots of footslogging units is fine as along as you've got something to threaten the enemy whilst they close - beastherds and marauder cavalry are my faves for this role. Characters with the Mark of Nurgle in the Marauder infantry are much more of a boost in the latest edition.

Gekiganger
22-09-2006, 15:54
yea, the mark of nurgle is best kept for heroes or things like spawns, i dnt find the fear for like 40pts i think it is ent worth it, note i play beasts, but it still the same idea applies, but, it is a good mark i find for beastman heroes, extra wound for them is very handy

Depends, that mark saved my ass when fighting OK. The mark can be worth it at times. I usualy take it with many of my units just incase.

Nkari
22-09-2006, 21:11
But with the new rules, characters confer the immunity to fear to the unit he is with so you dont really need to shell out the mark cost for the nurgle warriors unless you really really want the fear outnumbering bonus (wich you will hardly ever get) you still force ppl that charge to test fear if they see the character, and the unit will not have to take fear tests because of the character..

so yes, nurgle armies got a bit better nowdays.. but only just..

Gekiganger
23-09-2006, 07:53
Wrong, Characters can't join units that don't have the same mark.

Voltaire
23-09-2006, 15:25
Nurgle works out better for beastmen than a mortal horde. If I was going to use them in a Mortal Horde I would consider a single block of Warriors with the mark and put any characters into Marauder units to use the new psychology rules to your advantage. Failing that, turn it into an OK style army. Small fear causing hard hitters etc.

blurred
25-09-2006, 10:46
Yes, provided you don't actually give your units the mark of nurgle.

Nurgle works out better for beastmen than a mortal horde.

My thoughts exactly. Pity though. Well, aguess its just better to wait for the 7th edition chaos and see if they've come up with something more useful for Nurgle.

ROCKY
25-09-2006, 12:08

Thats what I thought, but someone told me that chaos undivided wasn't part of that rule.....:confused: Dunno, but does not matter with me...My corn army is 2 and 0 yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww!

ROCKY
25-09-2006, 12:11
Nurgle works out better for beastmen than a mortal horde. If I was going to use them in a Mortal Horde I would consider a single block of Warriors with the mark and put any characters into Marauder units to use the new psychology rules to your advantage. Failing that, turn it into an OK style army. Small fear causing hard hitters etc.

100% agree. its cheaper with beastmen and aome of the big bad units like minataurs get it for cheap (25pts I believe) and being that they already have fear it gives them and extra 5+ armor save! combine that with dual hand weapons and light armor and you have just witnessed a truly fearsome force (and cheap too) ^_^

Pravus
25-09-2006, 13:07

True, but Marauders don't have ANY mark therefore any marked character can join them. Hence, you can have Nurgle characters in a unit of marauders thus making them immune to fear.

Revlid
25-09-2006, 16:41
I've seen a footslogging Nurgle force with a Hellcannon and lots of Marauders that did quite well, although on the fifth turn the Hellcannon rampaged into a small unit of Marauders and ran them down. Never mind though, it pursued into the enemy lines and killed three units of Orcs before the end of the game. :p

But yeah, as a general rule Daemon and Beast armies of Nurgle are so much better than Mortals.