PDA

View Full Version : Empire Army Set, (bad) pic of what's inside

Friendly Neighbour
22-09-2006, 20:12
So here is a rather bad pic of the Empire army set. Looks like a lot of new stuff in there!

Zodiac
22-09-2006, 20:15
Wow thats a nice find, Seems the flaming wizard rumour is true enough.
I am not sure about the state troops though :S They seem very click-doneish..

laughingman
22-09-2006, 20:20
Wow thats a nice find, Seems the flaming wizard rumour is true enough.
I am not sure about the state troops though :S They seem very click-doneish..

im confused, what is click-doneish?

Bloodknight
22-09-2006, 20:57
It seems that Empire doesn´t get new knights. The pistoliers however look like they´ve got new horses. It seems to be a nice set, though. It´s enough to make a good core army.

Falkman
22-09-2006, 21:03
It seems that Empire doesn“t get new knights.
Until hastings come and shed some light on this, I“m gonna venture a guess and say that perhaps the updated knights will be released later?
Much like the O&G, where the Army deal contains the current Black Orcs, but rumours say that they will get a new set come summer.

Reabe
22-09-2006, 21:05
So:

* New Captain/Imperial General plastic kit. (Makes two models, here is one captain on horse and a battle standard bearer with "Morr" standard)
* New Fire Wizard.
* Large Handgunner/Spearman/Halberdier regiment (?) Most likely new.
* Small Handgunner regiment
* Small Crossbowmen regiment
* Small Miltia regiment
* Large Knight regiment
* 2 small units of pistoliers (New horses?)
* 1 Cannon

Better value than the Orcs and Goblins set, but only a little more.

Edit: On an unrelated note, aren't all those Pistoliers the same as the ones in the new Rulebook? Aren't they all converted?

||-MARKO-||
22-09-2006, 21:07
whoa i didnt think empire was coming so soon? why a pic of the army set before the rest of the stuff.... odd..........

anyway, cool find i magnified it a bit and the minis look pretty cool

WunderBullub
22-09-2006, 21:12
It's kind of hard to see but it looks to me like the handgunners are still the same models from the "detachment" box. Anybody have any better shots of them? Also, where did you find this photo if you don't mind my asking?

Harry
22-09-2006, 21:24
I think Hastings only said that there was a new sprue with some extra bits on for the knights.
Its difficult to tell from this pic if they have been used or not.
As all Knights orders will come with the option of great weapons I imagine the new sprue will have great weapon arms amongst other stuff.
So no new knights planned.

It appears to be a box of the new plastic pistoliers/ outriders with a half set made up as each....suggests the box set is able to make 10 riders

The Handgunners are new.

What I think we have got here is two boxes of 20 state troops. One has been made up as spearmen. The other has been split and made into 10 Handgunners and 10 crossbowmen.

Crossbowmen have been moved in the book from militia to state troops.
I thought we might get two different boxes of state troops bit like the Dwarfs...One for spearmen ,halberdiers, swordsmen and the other for Handgunners and Crossbowmen. Maybe we still will....however, I have a bad feeling that what we have here is two boxes of the same state troops (judging by the pose) with an additional sprue to make them into the handgunners or crossbowmen. I was quite excited when I first saw the swordsmen I thought how dynamic they looked turned side on but now it would appear that it was done so that the same bodies could be used for all state troop options. It might even mean that the state troop box set will contain all the bits for all 5 troop options!

It would also appear to be (with the exception of the bright wizard) an all plastic box set....I wondre if that is the plan for all armies in the future....more stuff in the set just all plastic.

On the bright wizard (Clearly I was wrong about him!) We had battle standard bearers last time around as the limited edition mini it seems this time it will be magic users all round (if its not too early to spot a pattern emerging)

My biggest dissappointment is that the militia seem Unchanged.
I had so hoped to get a new set so we could have mixed and matched the parts from the old set and got more variation.

On a plus note 12 Knihgts is quite good....2 units of six.2 Different orders.

Is it me or the way hes been painted does the standard look more like a father chritmas standard than a Morr standard?

DjtHeutii
22-09-2006, 21:31
The knights had better get new horses ar some point. From the picture the new horses on the Pistoliers make the old ones look very small.

Harry
22-09-2006, 21:54
The knights had better get new horses ar some point. From the picture the new horses on the Pistoliers make the old ones look very small.

Your not wrong.
That generals horse is the plastic armoured horse I had seen making me think they were getting redone...but looks like thats all we get for now.:cries:

DjtHeutii
22-09-2006, 22:01
Your not wrong.
That generals horse is the plastic armoured horse I had seen making me think they were getting redone...but looks like thats all we get for now.:cries:

That's too bad, from what I can see the new horses look cool. It will be good to get a better picture at some point, I can't hardly tell what the troops really look like at all.

unheilig
22-09-2006, 22:07
Your not wrong.

then that new general becomes my new knights.

Harry
22-09-2006, 22:14
then that new general becomes my new knights.

£12 a box set....£60 a unit of 5
And what do you do with 5 battle standard bearers???
But I know what your saying.

Philhelm
22-09-2006, 22:18
If crossbowmen become state troops (figure-wise) I'll be most pleased.

Alfginnar Oakenshield
22-09-2006, 23:38
I'm *really* dissapointed with the fact that the knights doesn't seem to get new horses - it was one of the most needed things IMO.

The Outriders and the characters look good however... Perhaps it's possible to cinvert knights from outriders?

AO

Septicus
22-09-2006, 23:38
Awesome wizard. Plenty of cool stuff in this box. Glad to see it.
Wish there was a better pic of the General.

Sandlemad
22-09-2006, 23:43
Looking at the light cavalry, perchance the ones on the right are pistoliers, due to the plumes and the ones at the back are the outriders, with a slightly less state-troop look. Just a possibility.

The troops in the lower right: is that beige coloured thing a banner? Looks like a wee parchment, so I'd doubt it on state troops.

The banner is pretty cool looking but I'd like to have a closer look at the bearer. From this distance, it's hard to tell whether he leans closer to warrior priest or state captain in heavy armour. He might have a shaved head or be wearing a laurel on his helm.

Finally, wow, that is one pimpin' hat the general is wearing!:D

lorelorn
22-09-2006, 23:43
From looking the contents are interesting, though very disappointing in the case of the knights.

The new handgunners/ crossbows and the halberdiers shown appear to be built using the same bodies. We'll probably see state troops split into two boxed regiment sets, one for melee armed troops, one for missile armed troops. Will there be bowmen in the missile box?

I wonder if the smoke coming out of the champion's handgun in the lower left is modelled onto the figure.

Free Company are still in, and the new horses for the pistolier/ outriders look great.

jansenm
23-09-2006, 00:45
they look great from way up here
I have seen the greens and trust me they look good

the knights havent been changed yet maybe they get around to it

Faeslayer
23-09-2006, 01:42
That box looks refreshingly ample, compared to the orcs box!

I wanna see a closer view, but from up here, that general looks sweet.

Skycaptain
23-09-2006, 02:00
I'm very disapointed, the state troops dont look more armoured at all :(
Is that a standard bearer in the crossbowmen? Looks nice

NakedFisherman
23-09-2006, 02:51
No new knights until 2007 at the very least...

StalkingHammer
23-09-2006, 03:50
Correct me if I am wrong but... Doesnt it seem like the models on foot are the same ones as the old ones? I think the only new ones are the horseman and the captains... I dont play Empire but that is how it seems to me.

the_yuk
23-09-2006, 05:25
Dont despair the new horses will probably be available as sprues eventually, just whack the old knights on them. Strange that the army set is the first pic of the new empire to appear, maybe the rumour that the army box and book would be released for x-mas are true and the indervidual kits will follow.

prince_dios
23-09-2006, 05:31
That Army Standard Bearer looks like crap.

Seriously, men aren't going to be inspired by a grim reaper thing on a stick. This isn't 40k where everyone has to be grim and eeeevil and fantical.

And yeah, the reason the set's loaded with models is that they're trying to get all the old ones off their hands before releasing new ones.

Varath- Lord Impaler
23-09-2006, 05:58
ahh thank you for that Dios...

The set looks good, Having an image of the god of death dosnt mean they are fanatical. Maybe they are hoping that they dont die and the enemy do? and if they do die they will be safe from aethyrical predators?

The set looks very nice. Close inspiection makes it look like alot of nice new figures. The handgunners have some other models i personally havnt seen before. The captain looks very nice but the sword looks alot like a runefang to me. The mage, apart from the obvious you could make him into other lores.

warpmaster
23-09-2006, 06:41
Seriously, men aren't going to be inspired by a grim reaper thing on a stick. This isn't 40k where everyone has to be grim and eeeevil and fantical.

You need to read more of the empires fluff/art work,and perhaps a few of the warhammer RP books, as the fantasy empire is just as horrible as the 40k one.

The BSB has me interested,but its hard to makeout so i'll wait till i see a better pic

Karu
23-09-2006, 08:09
Great find! Seems like I'm going to buy my first army deal ever...

Lordsaradain
23-09-2006, 09:07
Cool, the first public preview of the new Empire!

No new knights is dissapointing(they could at least have given them proper horses). I thought empire would get a complete overhaul, unlike orcs and goblins, but this set gives me the impression that they are not.

No new militia nor cannon either...

The captain/battle standard look great though, and I'm definetly gonna get myself some new pistoliers!

The state troops are abit dissapointing at first glance, but I'm confident they will look more impressive up close.

Great find, and I hope there will be more pics soon!

Morathi's Darkest Sin
23-09-2006, 09:09
Looks really nice.. the pistoliers/Outriders horses look much better in the pic.. will make a much better change than tiny old style ponies.

The only problem to start with at least is they also appear larger than the bardeded ones.. which reallly need to be Shire horse scale now.

From going close up (where the blurr just gets worse really) those are obviuosly the new Empire State troops, but they aren't clear enough to have any solid opinion.

Nice find though.. I'm sure someone at GW just splurted their coffee all over the moniter accompanied with the obligitory.. how in the hell did he find that! *Well in my mind at least :) *

Harry
23-09-2006, 09:13
No new knights until 2007 at the very least...

Umm...nothing until 2007!
Except for this army box set in the middle of December.
First sceduled releases of box sets in January.
.....and then I think no new knights just an additional sprue in the box.

@Lorelorn I did hear from one factory guy that he thought there were archers arms on the sprue.....however I doubt this as archers remain militia with the free company so I suspect these units will still be made from the existing militia sprues.

75hastings69
23-09-2006, 10:51
This is available to preorder on 4th November for 16th December release as stated on another thread. And Harry is right, I never said knights were getting new horses, just more add on sprues.

UltimateNagash
23-09-2006, 13:21
It looks like somebody put petrol all over him, and then put a lighter up to him...

Dragonsbane
23-09-2006, 14:19
Its too hard to see what the miniatures look like. How much did they change what about the poses, faces etc. New handgunners are sorely needed the old ones are rubbish so I keep my fingers crossed for the new models. The pistoliers and outriders look good.

If the general and BSB will be availlable in a small boxed set too that would be great....any confirmations on that?

Will i buy the boxed set? Probably not.... i ll buy the things I need when the boxed set comes out.

ChrisLS
23-09-2006, 14:40
Odd - I've seen a pic of what looked like a new Empire Knight (VERY briefly, I might add) with a heavily barded horse in mid gallop. It wasn't the general, so I'm pretty confident that SOME new knights are coming ala the plastic Blorcs.

BlazeXI
23-09-2006, 15:11
Blurry pic...
If the Mohrr BSB is made of the General boxed set as the Orc one, then the Fire Wizard is the limited mini of the army deal. I personally like the concept of shifting the limited minis from BSBs to wizards, as you get an alternative choice. Can't wait for a bigger pic, as I would like to see the new state troops a bit better.

Alfginnar Oakenshield
23-09-2006, 17:27
Odd - I've seen a pic of what looked like a new Empire Knight (VERY briefly, I might add) with a heavily barded horse in mid gallop. It wasn't the general, so I'm pretty confident that SOME new knights are coming ala the plastic Blorcs.

How can you be sure that is wasn't the general?

AO

Lordsaradain
23-09-2006, 17:43
It might have been the captain with a different helmet...

The Ape
23-09-2006, 18:00
Bit disappointed there arent any new knights. On the plus side, it means my current lot wont be obsolete!

Any idea as to whether they will still come with a sprue to make them up as White Wolves?

sillywopper
23-09-2006, 18:32
i was already thinking about converting that general into a von carstein vamp,and now that i've seen that banner,i just can't wait to get the general box

Reabe
23-09-2006, 18:53
then the Fire Wizard is the limited mini of the army deal.

Damn, that was the only model I wanted to buy. I hope there's another "Lore of Fire" Wizard that's on fire.

eldrak
23-09-2006, 19:12
Don't like that bright wizard but it's hard to tell what he really looks like in such a small image. If they wanted a wizard to go with the Morr theme (but i suppose there are several banner choices included) perhaps they should have gone for an amethyst one.
As bright wizards have such lore specific looks wouldn't it have been better to include a more generic one for new empire players (but they might not care anyway).

The Judge
23-09-2006, 19:15
Looks like a nice set to me, aside from the Knights. If new knights are any time near the Empire release (unlike the Black Orcs to the Orc release), I probably won't buy it.

Crazy Harborc
23-09-2006, 19:35
Well, I do think that GW is and will try to get rid of what's already been molded for all the 6th edition armies. I just can't imagine GW using man hours to cut up made plastic sprues of minies, to melt them down to reuse the plastic. It would IMHO, be very poor business sense to just ignore the already molded sprues/models to sell newly made replacments.

Come to think of it.......it makes good business sense to continue using up the molds. I guess they could modify (if possible) the current molds and rightly say they are "new" (versions) for 7th Edition.

Harry
23-09-2006, 19:57

I'm going to take a guess that what you have seen is Kurt Helborg. His Mini is riding a barded steed with embossed detail and is charging. (with Kurt up out of the saddle leaning forward shouting "for Sigmar")

But I hope your right and we do see some new knights.

BlazeXI
23-09-2006, 20:08
Don't like that bright wizard but it's hard to tell what he really looks like in such a small image.

sorry for that fire lore. Usually I use necromancy (Vampire Counts) or none at all (Dwarfs) and am opposed by chaos magic.

NakedFisherman
23-09-2006, 20:26
Well, if there's at least a few new armoured horses we can still make our own knights. :D

gorenut
23-09-2006, 20:30
Nice find.. I still want to see a close up of the state troops just to see what they look like. Then I can make my decision on whether I will convert more swordsmen out of the Free Company box (currently, my entire infantry is made from the box added with bits from other sets).

truthsayer
23-09-2006, 20:52
Perhaps Gamesday will uncover more!?

Alfginnar Oakenshield
23-09-2006, 21:31
Perhaps Gamesday will uncover more!?

A safe bet I'm sure - bring on the morn! :)

AO
-who really wishes that dwarfs would get a plastic character set as well. Imagine the possibilities. Shieldborne lord, thane on oath stone, bsb...

Gen.Steiner
23-09-2006, 22:07
State trooper Crossbows? Hurrah!
Multipartish Spears? Hurrah!

Cavalry heavy box? Boo!

The flaming wizard is silleh IMO, but hey ho. Overall, it appears to bode well for the Empire. :D

Bregalad
23-09-2006, 22:49
Empire release in 3 months, and no other pics? GW security is quite tough and the usual 6 months window reduced by more than half :(

Gen.Steiner
23-09-2006, 23:14
We just need to raise the incentives and increase the ... punishments ... for those who fail to break ranks and give us juicy leaked info. :D

ChrisLS
24-09-2006, 04:58
How can you be sure that is wasn't the general?

AO

The pic I saw had the horse's hooves all close together, midgallop. I've seen the sprue for the Empire General, and it's rearing up like Archaon's horse.

Harry is probably right and it's Kurt - let's just hope he's riding a new horse and not an all metal one!

dragonlance
24-09-2006, 07:58
I started with empire 8 years ago, and after seeing the first pic I am very disappointed, I am hoping it is a mock up!!! The two detachments look like there are old handgunners in them and the state troops do not look uniform. NO NEW KNIGHTS in the pic which is weird. I talked to a guy at the Chicago games day who was from the uk not gav and he said the new horses for the knights look great. He also said there would be new models for the pistoliers/outriders, warrior priests, and engineers. So I still think there will be new knights or at least horses for them. The new horses for the pistoliers are good looking, from what I can see. I like the LE wizard and the character set looks good.:wtf:

Alfginnar Oakenshield
24-09-2006, 08:53
The pic I saw had the horse's hooves all close together, midgallop. I've seen the sprue for the Empire General, and it's rearing up like Archaon's horse.

Harry is probably right and it's Kurt - let's just hope he's riding a new horse and not an all metal one!

*fingers crossed*

AO

Griefbringer
24-09-2006, 09:08
Cavalry heavy box? Boo!

As far as I could count from the pic, the box comes with around 23 cavalry (counting in the general) and 65 infantry (counting in the artillery crew, BSB and wizard), so that would be approximately 26% mounted models.

Though I have to admit that they could have made it a bit more varied by dropping half of the pistoliers and putting some uncovered option instead - but then again, the plastic pistoliers are new models, so people will probably appreciate them more than a small unit of flagellants or greatswords.

Axel
24-09-2006, 12:36
I certainly do not appreciate another 12 knights...

While you can never have too many state troops, most existing armies will already be shockfull of knights. I will probably pass that one up and just buy the new regiments piecemeal.

On another note, this means more money is available for the Deathkorps...

Gen.Steiner
24-09-2006, 14:30
Instead of 12 Knights and a thing of Freikorps, I'd rather have had more State Troopers, frankly. Oh well. Not that it matters much, just my opinion.

truthsayer
24-09-2006, 15:00
Empire release in 3 months, and no other pics? GW security is quite tough and the usual 6 months window reduced by more than half :(

Just got back from GD and i was highly disappointed to find that there were almost no references to Empire except a poster at the games developers with what i believe to be the front cover and a caption saying 'the Empire - coming soon'.

I did however get to meet Gav Thorpe ;)

ChrisLS
24-09-2006, 16:41
Well, when I get this box (and I am GOING to get it!) that will bring me to 36 knights - three orders of 12 each (I've already got one Knights of the Blazing Sun and I'm working on Knights Panther) isn't terrible. It will give me the option of fielding a cav heavy list as opposed to the infantry heavy lists I use now (I've got something like 150 State Troops and 100 detachments of Handgunners, Free Company, Huntsmen, and Crossbowmen). They don't look so good since I've been focusing on speed instead of quality - I can take my time with the new stuff.

All in all, I like the Empire Army Box much better than the Orcs and Goblins one - a lot more varieties of new stuff.

fleshtuxedo
24-09-2006, 16:46
Man, I just dont know what to think...
I hope a better photo surfaces soon. I have been squinting my eyes at those empire troops, I cant seem to spot the musician in the group, standard bearers I see, but no trumpeter or drummer... I had also hoped that the new knights would have horses... sad if that is not the case. GW does have a knights horses head on one of the frames, so in place of redoing a whole frame and horses (think bretonnian horses here) I would surmise that the whole gaggle will get redone to marry up with the rest of the range... just later.
ORcs need new boars, but I dont see them on the chariorts or boar boyz, hmm.
I was looking forward to new knights...

Harry
24-09-2006, 17:19
I talked to a man trhat knows things and he said defo no new knights or horses planned...not even in a second release. Sorry folks.
But did no one see the new Kurt Helborg mini???? It is seriously good ..... (and so is shwartzhelm although he was not available to view at Games day...but trust me on this if you like Helborg you will love Shwartzhelm1)

unheilig
24-09-2006, 19:23
I talked to a man trhat knows things and he said defo no new knights or horses planned...not even in a second release. Sorry folks.
But did no one see the new Kurt Helborg mini???? It is seriously good ..... (and so is shwartzhelm although he was not available to view at Games day...but trust me on this if you like Helborg you will love Shwartzhelm1)

i think this is pathetic. the current horses are a sad joke... and now smalled than the pistolier horses!

DjtHeutii
24-09-2006, 19:57
From this thread on the Warhammer Forum:

http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/posting.php?mode=quote&p=276176

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/madstoat/kurt001.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/madstoat/kurt003.jpg

der_lex
24-09-2006, 20:08
That is one fine-looking mini!

The more I see, the less I'm regretting my choice to start up Empire as a second army...

unheilig
24-09-2006, 20:27
i wanna kiss kurt helborg straight on the mouth.

myabe i will convert him into a unit of knights. :D

Alfginnar Oakenshield
24-09-2006, 21:15
Well, if his horse is plastic, GW can count on selling loads of those now that they wont redo the crappy old ones.

AO

Harry
24-09-2006, 21:52
There will three new embossed horses altogether.
Kurt Helborg.
The plastic Empire General/BSB kit.
Ludwig Schwarzhelm.
To add variety to your unit....however....
only the generals will be plastic

der_lex
24-09-2006, 22:17
The thing I'm really dying to see, though, is the new War Altar...

Crazy Harborc
25-09-2006, 01:36
Sounds interesting. In the mean time, I'll continue not using the old version in any games. It's been gathering dust since 6th came out.:(

Varath- Lord Impaler
25-09-2006, 07:43
The one in the box is schwartzhelm isnt it? He is holding a runefang and looks much more impressive than an empire general would.

Alfginnar Oakenshield
25-09-2006, 09:37
The one in the box is schwartzhelm isnt it? He is holding a runefang and looks much more impressive than an empire general would.

No it's not Ludwig. The one in the box is the new plastic general. Schwartzhelm is a special character, he hasn't got a runefang and he is hefting the emperors standard.

AO

Varath- Lord Impaler
25-09-2006, 11:20
But look at the Kurt Model's sword then look at the empire box set, the empire has the same sword, and its a runefang.

well thats what it looks like to me.

But who am i to argue with a longbeard. If thats the Empire plastic general set (Drool) bring on the dwarf one!

Avian
25-09-2006, 12:29
Considering that Empire Generals (formerly Elector Counts) are able to take Runefangs, I see nothing odd with the model in the army box being an Empire General.

Varath- Lord Impaler
25-09-2006, 13:30
Ah alright that clears that up, i thought Generals would not be able to take runefangs as they are not Elector counts and the weapon would be removed from the Book.

Thank you Avian, its a stunning model though, i love it. My favorite is the battle standard though with the general a close second (and they are from the same box!:):) im a happy....dwarf player:( )

SonofUltramar
25-09-2006, 14:33
And yeah, the reason the set's loaded with models is that they're trying to get all the old ones off their hands before releasing new ones.

You are aware they can just shred the old sprues and within a day have used the same plastic to make new models? Think i'll wait until i can see them a bit better before i start passing judgement on the models but after GD i know for a fact i'll be picking up a new Kurt Helborg model as its just so amazing:)

UltimateNagash
25-09-2006, 14:46
That's a nice 'Tache...

Griefbringer
25-09-2006, 15:41
Ah alright that clears that up, i thought Generals would not be able to take runefangs as they are not Elector counts and the weapon would be removed from the Book.

I guess you could presume that if the general happens to have a Runefang, then he happens to be an Elector Count.

truthsayer
25-09-2006, 15:47
The thing I'm really dying to see, though, is the new War Altar...

Gav said to me at Gamesday that they havent done a war alter yet but have repainted the old one so its not quite as red. Anyone got a pic?

Jedi152
25-09-2006, 15:52
Considering that Empire Generals (formerly Elector Counts) are able to take Runefangs, I see nothing odd with the model in the army box being an Empire General.
Apart from the fact that equipping a plastic general (not necessarily an Elector Count anymore) with what is obviously the second most famous magic item in the Empire (that costs 100pts) seems a bit silly.

But how do we know it's a Runefang? I can barely see a blade.

Harry
25-09-2006, 16:14
Maybe the Runefang is just one of the optional weapons. So if you want your general to be an Elector Count you can equip him accordingly. However, if you want your army to be led by another General of the Empire...for example Maximillian Von Genscher...Commander of the Middenhiem armed forces or General Johann Schwermutt the cities garrison Commander (who would not carry a runefang) you also have that option.

I think the change to General of the Empire was because in the background not all provinces have an Elector Count of the age, gender or inclination to lead their forces into battle and so clearly they have a general to do this for them.

The point is not every Empire army is led to battle by an Elector count and I don't think they want either the rules or the figures to limit gamers to a choice of either Elector count or Grand Master.

As a result you have more options for lord choices more options for special characters more options to delve into the background and develop a character for yourself and more options to create something very personal as your army commander.

unheilig
25-09-2006, 17:17
Maybe the Runefang is just one of the optional weapons. So if you want your general to be an Elector Count you can equip him accordingly. However, if you want your army to be led by another General of the Empire...for example Maximillian Von Genscher...Commander of the Middenhiem armed forces or General Johann Schwermutt the cities garrison Commander (who would not carry a runefang) you also have that option.

I think the change to General of the Empire was because in the background not all provinces have an Elector Count of the age, gender or inclination to lead their forces into battle and so clearly they have a general to do this for them.

The point is not every Empire army is led to battle by an Elector count and I don't think they want either the rules or the figures to limit gamers to a choice of either Elector count or Grand Master.

As a result you have more options for lord choices more options for special characters more options to delve into the background and develop a character for yourself and more options to create something very personal as your army commander.

this i like.

Bun Bun
25-09-2006, 17:34

Yeah this is what Phil Kelly pretty much said to me.

From what I can see from the picture it looks like you get in the box.

1 box of empire characters with enough parts for general and battle standard.
1 box of 20 empire state troops.
1 box of 20 empire crossbowmen/handgunner.
1 box of 20 free company.
2 boxes of 5 pistoliers/outriders.
1 box of knights.
1 cannon/mortar
1 limited edition bright wizard.

Bun Bun
25-09-2006, 17:37
Gav said to me at Gamesday that they havent done a war alter yet but have repainted the old one so its not quite as red. Anyone got a pic?

Does anyone know if Volkmar himself will be getting a new model as several people at Games Day confirmed to me that a War Alter can be taken as a mount for an Arch Lector not just for Volkmar.

Ghal Maraz
25-09-2006, 17:41
I want my Empire army to be led by Emmanuelle! With her Runefang!:D

About the Reiksmarshall model... It is just me, or does he have what it is probably his Rod of Command hanging by his left side?

Bun Bun
25-09-2006, 17:47
About the Reiksmarshall model... It is just me, or does he have what it is probably his Rod of Command hanging by his left side?

Pretty much.

Harry
25-09-2006, 17:55
[QUOTE=Ghal Maraz;966646About the Reiksmarshall model... It is just me, or does he have what it is probably his Rod of Command hanging by his left side?[/QUOTE]

Dave Thomas said he had wanted to include all of the features of the old model...runefang, Rod of command, etc...right down to feathered helmet. It is after all a new model not a new character he just wanted to give us an updated version...and he has done a bang up job.

Crazy Harborc
26-09-2006, 01:14
I did like the old War Alter and the Warwagon too. Kill the horses and they don't move so great anymore:evilgrin: Then they become setting targets for artillery and shooters.

I "might" buy a plastic character maker or two. If I do get the Empire version, I'll be putting whichever weapon I like the best in the model's hand. Who knows maybe they'll be away to make the weapons "swapable".

ChrisLS
26-09-2006, 04:29
*fingers crossed*

AO

Yep, Helborg was the model I saw. Crap crap crap. I wanted new knights.

Griefbringer
26-09-2006, 07:07
1 box of knights.

Looks more like 1.5 boxes of knights to me.

barefootwanderer
26-09-2006, 12:27

yeah I'd heard that too - couldn't quite understand it, as there are 2 runefangs in the imperial armoury (if i get this correct) Sylvania, and Solland (which was recovered after gorbad Ironclaw disappeared / died / whatever). As I understood it from the fluff, these other 2 runefangs are sometimes given to great heroes of the Empire when leading the armies in battle. I cannot rememebr where I read that - it may have been in the WFRP fluff.

Drakemaster
26-09-2006, 12:55
From the looks of things the new Empire unbarded steeds are at least 50% larger than the old barded/unbarded steeds.

I have to say I am increasingly annoyed by the fact every new horse model that GW produces HAS to be bigger than anything that has gone before. Particularly seeing as monsters seem to be getting smaller and smaller. In terms of background (and rules, come to think of it) the height of horses SHOULD be Elven steeds>brettonian warhorses>empire/everyone else. It now appears to be exactly the reverse. Hell, these new ones look like they are larger (in terms of the actual horse part) than the newest hippogriff model.

This means that you cannot mix old/new cavalry models from the same range (which I imagine is the point) and is PARTICULARLY irritating due to the fact that from the Bretonnians onward they are making it so you cannot remount older models on newer steeds without major conversion work due to changed saddle shape/size. I'm all for new and improved horse sculpts, but why in gods name can't they keep them of comprable size? Or at least keep saddles similar enough so that the older models can be mounted easily on the newer horses and vice-versa?

DjtHeutii
26-09-2006, 13:05
I'm all for new and improved horse sculpts, but why in gods name can't they keep them of comprable size? Or at least keep saddles similar enough so that the older models can be mounted easily on the newer horses and vice-versa?

I'd say that they are at last making horses close to as big as they really should be scale wise.

I'd say as well that if we consider "Elven" Horses to be close to Arabians in overall concept and the ones used by humans to be close to those raised as War Horses in the Medival and Rennisance period then the new horses overall are getting in better scale with each other.

I do think that they are still a little small, though.

If you've ever been near horses you'd realize just how very large and powerful they are. Even the "small" ones, not to mention monsterously big guys like Clydsedales or other draft horses.

It may be a little bit of a problem to convert old guys or include newer horses in units of older ones, but I still like the trend toward horses that are in better scale, myself.

Gen.Steiner
26-09-2006, 13:12
Well, from a morning with the cavalry horses used by the Household Cavalry for ceremonial purposes, I can safely say this:

The bastards are BIG. Bigger when you put a chap on top.

Equally, riot 'orses. Don't fack wiv 'em, unless you know what you're doing, there's lots of you, and you've brought your pike block with you.

An in-scale Warhammer horse should really be about the size of Archaon's mount. :p

Harry
26-09-2006, 13:27
This means that you cannot mix old/new cavalry models from the same range (which I imagine is the point) and is PARTICULARLY irritating due to the fact that from the Bretonnians onward they are making it so you cannot remount older models on newer steeds without major conversion work due to changed saddle shape/size. I'm all for new and improved horse sculpts, but why in gods name can't they keep them of comprable size? Or at least keep saddles similar enough so that the older models can be mounted easily on the newer horses and vice-versa?

I have to agree with this...I would love to have 'upgraded' many of my bretonnian models but they made it impossible.
If they do new Empire armoured steeds I would love to upgrade the units I have...I do hope they take this into account.

DjtHeutii
26-09-2006, 13:28
Well, from a morning with the cavalry horses used by the Household Cavalry for ceremonial purposes, I can safely say this:

The bastards are BIG. Bigger when you put a chap on top.

Equally, riot 'orses. Don't fack wiv 'em, unless you know what you're doing, there's lots of you, and you've brought your pike block with you.

An in-scale Warhammer horse should really be about the size of Archaon's mount. :p

Yep. Pretty much all "Warhorse" models should be as big as Tyrion's, Achaon's and Valten MKIII's horses.

Drakemaster
26-09-2006, 13:48
I admit that the older GW horse models are far too small to reflect real-world counterparts. Still, I can accept that easier than I can accept basic horses larger than (multi-wound) monsters, Imperial horses larger than Bretonnian warhorses which are supposed to be the finest horse breeds available to any human troops, and Elven knights being dwarfed by Imperial light cavalry.

I don't think, background-wise, that Elven horses are closer to the Arabian smaller/swifter archetype either. IIRC, the background is that elven breeds are the largest, tallest and swiftest... human 'riding' horses in the old world came about from Elven steeds left behind breeding with old world hill ponies and the like, and Bretonnian horses are larger than the norm as they occasionally breed them with elven steeds from Loren to 'revitalise' the bloodline.

Anyway, I could accept the steadily growing size of GW horses alot easier if you could mix and match parts from old and new ranges. Much of my beef with this bigger bigger trend is that as hoary old vetaran, I've collected, and (almost) completely painted several armies, and hate it when all of a sudden my cavalry looks like they are riding baby shetland ponies compared to the new models. If I could remount my older models on the newer horses I wouldn't mind so much... thats what I did with my older Elven cavalry when they got the elven steed size jump between 4th and 5th edition. It looked much better, and aside from painting a bunch of the new elven steeds the only work required was snapping the riders off the old horses and sticking them on the new ones. Easy. This sort of quick-and-easy fix is no longer possible with the latest horse updates, which is what really irritates me. For years GW horses had a one-size-fits-all saddle design, making swapping between ranges and old/new models a doddle. I just wish they had kept the principle going...

zodgrim
26-09-2006, 23:43
I haven't read the whole theard. But does anyone else think that those are Outriders in the upper righthand corner? I hope so.

Astmeister
27-09-2006, 08:37
They have to be Outriders. Otherwise it would not make sense to put another box of Pistoleros in there.

The Ape
27-09-2006, 10:37
You can make outriders from the pistolier box allegedly.

Lardidar
27-09-2006, 12:21
Hey all,

Not sure if it has been said already as I have not read this thread but this box will retail at £135.

I got my trade order form this morning and it was in there.

Bun Bun
27-09-2006, 13:43
You can make outriders from the pistolier box allegedly.

Yes this is true all the parts for pistoliers and outriders are in the same box though they are seperate choices in the army list. There is no upgrading of the pistoliers to outriders.