PDA

View Full Version : Brightsword *May Contain Spoilers*

Triceron
22-09-2006, 23:39
Brightsword, the rebellious Tau Commander, is mentioned both in one of the Kill Team novels as well as in the Tau codex. In the Codex, he is mentioned as a possible student of O'Shovah. However in the Kill Team book, he dies at the end.

Are both these characters the same entity, and if so does this mean Brightsword is really dead? Why would he be mentioned in the Tau Codex under Farsight if this character is killed off in a kill team novel?

Also, could anyone help with the question of what Brightsword actually looks like? Is there anything special about him?

Iceheart2112
23-09-2006, 03:54
My thoughts are this: In the codex it states that after the canyon massacre (can't recall the exact name) he was called back. While he was back, he started gearing up for his next 'phase' of expansion, somewhat following in O'Shovah's hoofsteps. Kill Team comes in and kills him before he can go out and fight again.

As to what he looks like, I assumed he was described in Kill Team. "Special"? Eh, just a more outgoing, hot-headed commander that took too many lessons from Farsight (not exactly a bad thing, but worth noting).

Sarge
23-09-2006, 04:00
I must remind you that novels use the writers imagination and interpretation to discribe the 40k universe, so it's not always truthful. So if it was your desire too, you could use him in your army list. But in short, the novel "Kill Team" is not a spoiler, but rather one writers interpretation to the death of a mentioned Shas commander.

Sephiroth
23-09-2006, 09:17
Are both these characters the same entity, and if so does this mean Brightsword is really dead?

Yes and Yes.

Why would he be mentioned in the Tau Codex under Farsight if this character is killed off in a kill team novel?

Because the Tau Codex notes things which are historical. You'll notice a lack of time or dates within the pages. So for example, the Arkunasha War of Farsight could have happened just three or even a hundred years before the Third Sphere Expansion.

Also, could anyone help with the question of what Brightsword actually looks like? Is there anything special about him?

Apart from having a XV8 with a fancy image on the front? None that I recall. Was more a case of his attitude (i.e, agressive expansion, zero tolerance for enemies, etc) which marked him out as note worthy.

I assume this is for the 'Exiled Union' Mod? Bare in mind that according to the old Tau codex, Farsight left the Empire and created the Enclaves in 760.M41 - the 'current' date of 40K (as far as GW has gone) is roughly 998-999.M41.

Even if Brightsword hadn't been killed, he'd be long dead by the current setting.

schoon
23-09-2006, 18:19
I'll second Sephiroth on this.

After all, Marcharius is mentioned prominently in the fluff, but no one has difficulty considering him dead.

My point being that everyone mentioned in either Codex or Black Library novel will eventually perish if you just go forward far enough in time ... and the 40K universe being what it is, very few will die of old age peacefully in their sleep :skull:

Sephiroth
23-09-2006, 19:01
Thanks Schoon. :)

I'm a touch saddened however, that with some of the more recent additions to the Tau background, none of the members of GW design team seem able to keep track of a timeline.

Example - Farsight left the Tau Empire in 760.M41. He was the mentor of Brightsword.

Brightsword latter leads the Tau invasion of Nimbosa. Imperial forces are poorly positioned to meet this threat, as the majority of the Ultima Segmentum fleet are engaged in hunting splinter fleets of Tyranids from Ichar IV, which took place 995.M41.

So, Brightsword is 235 years old. At least. :eyebrows:

Shadowsun also aided Farsight in defence against the Damocles Gulf Crusade (742-745.M41), and then became the preeminent leader of the Third Sphere Expansion (997-999.M41).

So, Shadowsun is at least 254 years old... :p

lapis_lazuli
23-09-2006, 19:23
Damn... I was poised at the keyboard to trot out my old life extension spiel to excuse Shadowsun, but I'd never considered the Brightsword problem. Stupid GW.. grumble grumble... Thanks Sephiroth... ;)

mattmanforever
24-09-2006, 03:11
See, up until this point, I had what I called the "Dread Pirate Roberts" theory regarding Farsight; that is, Farsight is a concept which is personified in different individuals from generation to generation. However, it's more than likely that GW just likes throwing around numbers all willy-nilly.

This still surprises me though, given how important Farsight is to the Tau army.

And to think, they kill off Aun'shi, my all-time favorite Tau special character, because he got too old at seemingly the ripe old age of 60ish. They then introduce two new characters who apparently live five times that and still don't need coffee in the morning.

Unless, of course, in typical Orwellian fashion, the Ethereals constantly rewrite history to fit their propoganda needs. :eyebrows:

Just bring back Aun'shi. Maybe he was just sleeping? I mean, he probably just looked so peaceful that no one even bothered to check his pulse. *sigh*

Sarge
24-09-2006, 03:57
No, Aun'shi became tired of the battle feild and retired, when he retired they no longer received any benefits from him, so they didn't give him any further life extensioning drugs and allowed him to die peacefully.

The truth is, he was just too strong of an IC, so GWS retired him because of all the shreaking noobs calling for his blood. The power to negate any attack, power weapons or not, is quite an ability.

GodofWarTx
24-09-2006, 06:17
I must remind you that novels use the writers imagination and interpretation to discribe the 40k universe, so it's not always truthful. So if it was your desire too, you could use him in your army list. But in short, the novel "Kill Team" is not a spoiler, but rather one writers interpretation to the death of a mentioned Shas commander.

true in some respects, but the 40k overfiend himself wrote the books, Gav Thorpe, sooo i think its pretty canon on the manner of his death =)

Sarge
24-09-2006, 06:31
Not at all, it's like Aun'shi, if someone wants to, they can resurrect him with but a thought.

Triceron
24-09-2006, 06:33
TBH Aunshi and Farsight were the worst examples of Tau characters GW could've made for Tau Codex. Both were CC masters, the complete opposite of what the Tau armies were supposed to represent. I guess you could say it was to balance out all the ranged; but there was no good choice for ranged characters until O'Rmyr and Shadowsun. Not saying they're bad characters or anything, but just saying they weren't very representative.

Anyways I've been searching around for more information on Brightsword and would just like to share some of my findings. All this information is from what I found on the net, through forums and such. I haven't confirmed any of this information directly through the sources cited.

- Brightsword is mentioned in multiple sources. In the Tau Empire Codex, he is mentioned twice. Once as a commander during the assault of Nimbosa, second time as a protoge of O'Shovah (confirmed). He is also a major character in one of the Kill Team novels, where he is eventually killed. Brightsword also appears in the Cities of Death rulebook.
- Brightsword has crossed paths with O'Shovah within his lifetime. There is no concrete timeline, but my sources indicate that he may have known O'Shovah before Shovah went rogue. During this time he may have been tutored by O'Shovah, as well as been bonded with him through the Ta'lissera. Brightsword also despises humans and human expansion. eThis is indicated by his forceful and remorseless attack on Nimbosa despite diplomatic treaties. Due to lack of timeline indication, the O'Shovah pupil and the Nimbosa Commander might possibly be two different entities; but coincidences having two rebelling tau commanders/named characters named "Brightsword" is questionable.
- Brightsword's full name is Shas'O Tash'Var Ol'Nan B'kak, nicknamed O'var. In Gothic he is referred to as Brightsword, or the Sandherder. Tash'Var is the planet he originates from and Ol'Nan literally translates to Brightsword. I'm not sure why his shortened name is O'var, since that would seem to relate to his homeworld than his name. This name is the official name of the character taken from the Kill Team novel, there is no confirmation for the Brightswords mentioned in Tau Empire Codex or Cities of Death.
- In Cities of Death, he appears as a Crisis Suit commander with a special Burst Cannon that rends, as well as being equipped with a missle pod, hardwired multi targetter and a shield generator/plasma rifle (depends on source, can't seem to confirm this). One source indicates he may be using a nightfighting or urban paint scheme with Red symbols.

PS- Yes, this is relative to the Exiled Union mod. Even if fluff indicates this character as a dead one, I'd like to know as much as I can about a potential character for the Farsight Enclave, knowing O'Shovah is the only named character for this faction. The main fluff confliction is the Enclave's use of Gue'Vesa and Brightsword's hatred of the Gue'la.

Sephiroth
24-09-2006, 12:33
- Brightsword has crossed paths with O'Shovah within his lifetime. There is no concrete timeline, but my sources indicate that he may have known O'Shovah before Shovah went rogue. During this time he may have been tutored by O'Shovah, as well as been bonded with him through the Ta'lissera. Brightsword also despises humans and human expansion. This is indicated by his forceful and remorseless attack on Nimbosa despite diplomatic treaties. Due to lack of timeline indication, the O'Shovah pupil and the Nimbosa Commander might possibly be two different entities; but coincidences having two rebelling tau commanders/named characters named "Brightsword" is questionable.

They are the same Fire Caste Commander. The Index Xenos article on the Tau, noted O'Shovah became embittered by the fighting on Arkunsha. This feeling was shared by a number of his loyal followers, particularly Brightsword.

The Brightsword mentioned in Kill Team served in O'Shovah's cadre until rising to such a position he was unable to serve under him.

The Brightsword on Nimbosa was noted as "He allowed the Imperial Guard to batter themselves on his defences before, like O'Shovah had done with the Orks, leading a series of aggressive raids, running rings around the ponderous Imperial regiments".

The chances their are two Commander Brightswords from Tash'var, who served under O'Shovah, are quite, quite slim.

This name is the official name of the character taken from the Kill Team novel, there is no confirmation for the Brightswords mentioned in Tau Empire Codex or Cities of Death.

Go read the Tau frontline news report on GW UK homepage, in the Tau ssection. In that story, their fighting on Nimbosa, and it's referred to as the forces of "Shas'O Tash'Var Ol'Nan B'kak".

- In Cities of Death, he appears as a Crisis Suit commander with a special Burst Cannon that rends, as well as being equipped with a missle pod, hardwired multi targetter and a shield generator/plasma rifle (depends on source, can't seem to confirm this). One source indicates he may be using a nightfighting or urban paint scheme with Red symbols.

Never saw this. But I haven't really got a good look at the Cities of Death rulebook.

PS- Yes, this is relative to the Exiled Union mod. Even if fluff indicates this character as a dead one, I'd like to know as much as I can about a potential character for the Farsight Enclave, knowing O'Shovah is the only named character for this faction. The main fluff confliction is the Enclave's use of Gue'Vesa and Brightsword's hatred of the Gue'la.

He doesn't hate humans (to my knowledge). He's just very, very aggressive. He and Farsight seemed very unhappy with the outcome of the Damocles Gulf Crusade - I suspect it galled them that after all they'd suffer, the Council of the Highest was just happy to sign the Dal'yth Treaty (which Brightsword later broke by invading Nimbosa).

He did after all, recruit human mercenaries into his forces in Kill Team. I'd say he's got zero tolerance for those that don't submit.

ArtificerArmour
24-09-2006, 12:43
What's this exiled union mod I keep hearing about?

lapis_lazuli
24-09-2006, 14:13
Try the link in Triceron's sig. It's a Tau mod for Dawn of War.