PDA

View Full Version : Building a Chaos army

Rakarth
24-09-2006, 14:37
Hello to everyone.
I'm new here so this is gona be my first real post (so say if I do something wrong)

I was hoping that i could get some help from pros with my upcoming chaos army. I was planing on making a pretty normal mortal army with maybe some marks ( khorne or nurgle comes to mind). As ore miniatures i got the Archanons siege attackers amry deal and some old chaos warriors. I'm planing on buying atleast some warhounds cuz almost everyone i se uses them. Mostly my oponents are O & G mixed army and Bretonian army.
Thanks for the help:)

Rakarth
24-09-2006, 14:41
Sry forgot to mention that I was planing on a 2 000p army

Monk
24-09-2006, 17:31
I'm still learning myself (I'm brand new to minis-wargaming), and started with Chaos as my choice as well. I can't help you much directly, but the following threads are good places to look for some introductions to Chaos that I've been reading. Helpful information. Definitely worth some time checking it all out. Hopefully that helps you some.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45623

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45010

Neknoh
24-09-2006, 17:51
In this latest edition, both of the two marks you are considering are highly viable on Warriors, I would go for Khorne with your army, seeing as you've got the Siege Attackers box in addition to some more Warriors.

field Warriors in units of 14 with a Musician and maybe a Champion, that's all they need really, additional Handweapons and mark of Khorne and you are set, spread the Marauders out in front of them in small units of 10 in order to shield the Warriors from shooting.
Knights will work exceptionally well in units of 4 and Chosen if marked Khorne, again, a Musican is all they'll need.

Marauder Horsemen should be in units of 5 with Musician and Flails upgrades, nothing more.

Of course, you could include banners on your warriors for looks and usage, it does look better with some banners in the army.

ROCKY
25-09-2006, 12:04
In this latest edition, both of the two marks you are considering are highly viable on Warriors, I would go for Khorne with your army, seeing as you've got the Siege Attackers box in addition to some more Warriors.

field Warriors in units of 14 with a Musician and maybe a Champion, that's all they need really, additional Handweapons and mark of Khorne and you are set, spread the Marauders out in front of them in small units of 10 in order to shield the Warriors from shooting.
Knights will work exceptionally well in units of 4 and Chosen if marked Khorne, again, a Musican is all they'll need.

Marauder Horsemen should be in units of 5 with Musician and Flails upgrades, nothing more.

Of course, you could include banners on your warriors for looks and usage, it does look better with some banners in the army.

lets not forget dear friend that thankx to these new rules a khorne chariot looks even sweeter!:evilgrin:

Neknoh
25-09-2006, 12:05
Ah yes, however, I'd still go for the knights, more bang, only slightly more buck, can march and won't be torn to shreds if charging into difficult terrain due to frenzy.

ROCKY
25-09-2006, 12:13
Ah yes, however, I'd still go for the knights, more bang, only slightly more buck, can march and won't be torn to shreds if charging into difficult terrain due to frenzy.

I go for both, 'cause sometimes the enemy heads for my knights THEN realize that a chariot is charging them and this results in them screaming "OMFG! My poor spearmen! run Abraham!....too late...":evilgrin:

MarcoPollo
26-09-2006, 01:49
The most important unit for chaos is often the cheapest and most overlooked. I am talking about chaos hounds. Take them in units of 5 (for 30 pts). They help you win the deployment phase. They allow you to flush out fanatics. They can really mess up a bretonians charge plans (especially if you angle them properly). They are speed bumps. They can get flank charges off. They can screen more expensive troops. They can capture table quarters. They don't give away that many victory points. You can put characters in the unit to protect them from shooting. They can distract frenzy troops from charging when you don't want them to. They can ambush with a beast lord.

They can, however, clog up the battle plan if the table is too small. So it is good to have things that can fly over them like furries or Tzeetch screemers. Or, have small fast units that can manouver through the holes in the battle lines. Things like chosen chaos knights (4 only), fast cav, mounted demonettes, etc.

Dogs are your nice cheap cannon fodder that makes my opponents always have to rethink his battle plans. This makes him have to react to my battle plans and thus gives me an edge.

So don't forget about those small cheap units that can give you the intangibles that a large unit of chaos warriors can't.

Chris_Tzeentch
01-10-2006, 15:12
I go for both, 'cause sometimes the enemy heads for my knights THEN realize that a chariot is charging them and this results in them screaming "OMFG! My poor spearmen! run Abraham!....too late...":evilgrin:

I am still in two minds about my Khorne chariots. I am currently running with two of them. I tend to use them for combined charges, which means bye bye unit, but with frenzy, its very easy to drag them into dangerous terrain or into combat with S7 weapons.

I think the chaos hounds idea might be worth pursuing. If the hounds block the line of sight, then the chariot cannot charge. Adds some control to the army.

Chris_Tzeentch
01-10-2006, 15:14

The more I think about it, the more I am tending to agree with you Neknoh. I feel I could spend the points better elsewhere.