PDA

View Full Version : FW Eldar Wave Serpent II WIP

Spacker
25-09-2006, 07:48
Noticed the Wave Serpent II (in progress) at GD. Haven't spotted this yet in the posts or rumour roundup, so here are my pics:

http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Spack93/IMG_2049.jpg

http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Spack93/IMG_2048.jpg

Alessander
25-09-2006, 08:11
Meh.... they are trying to blend it with the new plastic serpent. FW's older on was classic. This one still has the "door wedge" turret..

Zustiur
25-09-2006, 09:12
Very disappointing. And I don't normally get involved in these conversations.

Smokedog
25-09-2006, 09:23
I like it, not much change. Jsut a word on these, how much of them are plastic and how much a resin, and which parts are resin? I like more resilient models.

Spacker
25-09-2006, 09:42
The problem with the FW displays at GD is that they undercoat these conversion models, so you can't tell which parts are which. I haven't got a GW Wave Serpent (got 2 of the old FW kits), so I don't know which parts are the same - the rear "wing" at the top of the hull is definitely new (well, it's off the FW Falcon II), but other than that I have no idea.

hammerofulric
25-09-2006, 09:44
This kind of thing is such a waste of FW's time. Do we really need new versions of plastic models?

They could be doing so many cooler models.

Still waiting for the Stormhammer, maybe they're waiting for the plastic Baneblade, and plan a conversion kit.

Drabant
25-09-2006, 10:19
The only thing that stands out as different from the Citadel Wave Serpent is the "spoiler".

I will stick with the "old" FW Wave Serpents, I think they still look better than these.

Killgore
25-09-2006, 11:02
I dont like that Spoiler,

nor do i like FW keeping the spines, I want the old style Plate Wave Serpent

Michaelius
25-09-2006, 11:14
So they took parts from falcon kit and put them on wave serpent :)

SienCreis
25-09-2006, 11:35
I talked to Will Hayes about this. Its virtually finished (BTW its not undercoaded, thats the finished resin. They just use a silicon based cleaner to get rid of the releasing agent) the turret is a little different from the plastic version. It has a gentle curve for one thing instead of the doorstop. And its alot lower as well. It doesnt look that bad in real life. There's some very funky curves around the 'spoiler' that were quite complex to shape apparently.

Sildani
25-09-2006, 11:45
Very true. The turret is indeed lower, with a gentler curve, it looks much better. It also lost that Tau-like targeting thing, which is good. Aside from that and the spoiler (which is well-integrated), everything else seems to be plastic. Nice looking kit, but nothing to write home about. If I need yet another Serpent, though, (two plastic, one old FW), this'll be that one I pick up.

It's better than the Falcon II, that's for sure. Now what about a brand-new Fire Prism to replace that wretched plastic and metal one...

Cheesehead
25-09-2006, 12:12
blast that promiscuous porsche 911 thats making funky-love to all our tanks and producing these bastard offspring!

Smokedog
25-09-2006, 12:39
So much of it is resin?

Sildani
25-09-2006, 12:41
No, most of it is plastic.

Algothi
25-09-2006, 17:57
Its definetly a mix of the GW Serpent and the new Falcon II conversion. I like it as well, the lower turret really helps the model. The fin makes it look vaguely fish-like, but I still like the overall profile. It would look very sexy next to a Falcon II. Id have to see the back of it first before picking it up however, I need to see how the passenger area connects to the fin.

Im very eager to see what would come from FW touching the Prism. That thing NEEDs attention.

Shadowseer Crofty
25-09-2006, 18:02
how is that different from the plastic one?

Puffin Magician
25-09-2006, 18:07
Its definetly a mix of the GW Serpent and the new Falcon II conversion.I'd say that's all it is. GW turret and ***** pointy bits, with the curvy ass end of the FW Falcon II, which didn't really impress me all that much. A combination of two "meh" kits to make a new "meh" kit.

I'd rather see FW have a go at the OOP Armorcast "Iron" Serpent. Bastardize the huge dorsal wing with the sleekness of a Falcon II, and you've got yourself one damn fine looking [and more importantly, unique] transport for the pointy-ears.

Eldanar
25-09-2006, 18:12
I don't know...

I like the old FW one better, simply because of the "nose" cross piece.

synapse
25-09-2006, 18:55
thats the nicest 40k serpent ive seen so far. still a shame its just a falcon conversion and not a different vehicle like epic 40k one, which i still prefer. the turret is nice on that

MAGUNRA3K
26-09-2006, 15:46
This is my first post so be gentle :angel:

I love it ! and i tell you for why , because in the grand GW scheme of things eldar get very little improvements or changes or new models compared to other races/armies even though they are one of the most popular armies .

so its about time they spent a little time developing nice new add ons for the plastic kits .i hope this isnt the end of it either , lets see some nice new stick on additions to the wraith lord ,dire avengers and lets see some alternative weapons for the new resin avatar and a cloak to cover his molten a$$ cheeks !

these new parts in resin should be bought by eldar generals for no other reason than if we dont buy them ,they may not bother doing it again .

Mag

Animatronica
26-09-2006, 15:58
I don't really see the point either... not when the conversion kit costs that much...

yes the GW turret doesn't look very Eldritch (too many right angles!) but when you can do what i did, i just used a scalpel to turn the corners into curves and it looks fine.

but i suppose this essentially boils down to, its Forgeworld.

they dont make things that make sense.

they make things for people with more money than sense.

and we love it.

Bun Bun
26-09-2006, 17:04
but i suppose this essentially boils down to, its Forgeworld.

they dont make things that make sense.

they make things for people with more money than sense.

and we love it.

Amen to that. :p

Inquisitor Engel
26-09-2006, 18:15
I'll stick to my own converted ones thanks.

Nothing compares to the Epic designs IMHO.

Rats... all those pictures appear to have disappeared with the Portent database way back when... Well. It looks awesome. FW's Eldar stuff is always ho-hum or too expensive to me.

chosen_of_khaine
26-09-2006, 18:42
doesnt look anything special

Storch
26-09-2006, 19:03
It's a nice kit and all, if you can stand the GW wave serpent kit in the first place (which I can't).
Unfortunately the original FW model came out before this and is just so much more attractive. I only hope that FW is not planning on discontinuing the older stuff (like they did for the MkI superheavies) for this thing.

Hellfury
26-09-2006, 19:07
The front piece that the original FW wave serpent had (The thing thatt connected the two wings at the front) was really the only thing about the FW serpent I liked.

And now it seems to not be there any longer.

GW should have made that bit on the plastic sprue too.

Storch
26-09-2006, 19:27
Well, GW should have just taken the original FW model and made a plastic kit out of it, but that's another story entirely.

Dosadi
26-09-2006, 19:57
Well, GW should have just taken the original FW model and made a plastic kit out of it, but that's another story entirely.

Why they did not go this way is beyond me. It would have been so much better. Oh well. I think I will pick up one of the old kits and one of these new ones and combine them to make my command wave serpent for my seer councel. That's one expensive WS!!

Dosadi

Cheesehead
26-09-2006, 20:47
I honestly think the GW waveserpent is 100x better than the forgeworld crap.

I donno, but it seems that all the FW variations on the falcons all have the same "bolt on" effect. I get the same feeling looking at their models as I do when I look at a ricer/beaner car with a fart can, bench wing, and a hundred half-peeling-off stickers on the car.

Locke
26-09-2006, 20:53
once again... the last thing i need is a tank larger then the existing one that just happens to be 1.5 times larger than a land raider is now...

well at least we have 25% mandatory terrain.....

I wish forgeworld would commit to helping us with better model options, like the nid warrior wings... I could really use some leaping legs for nids. I really dont need a manta or titan or thunderhawk.

and what cheesehead says above about bolt on is absolutely correct! I teach industrial design courses at a university and always ride my students for sticking things onto things. Design is continuous and uniform through an entire product.

luchog
27-09-2006, 01:12
these new parts in resin should be bought by eldar generals for no other reason than if we dont buy them ,they may not bother doing it again .

After looking at this model, and the Falcon II, it really wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they don't do any more. If all they're going to turn out is minor bitz add-ons for the boring plastic kits, then they really shouldn't go to the effort. Particularly considering how impressive their original Eldar vehicles are. Hell, even their Imperial bitz kitz are better than what they've been turning out for the Eldar. I liked the old FW WS much better than their WSII, and better than the GW WS as well.

After looking at the Cobra, the Revenant Titan, and the various flyers, this represents a serious step down for the FW design team. I want to see something more original.

Gen_eV
27-09-2006, 01:31
There was i, all ready to start saying I didn't like them, when I thought to go grab some pics of them side-by-side with the originals. Suddenly I find I actually like them. I'm not too keen on the old WS, as the notch in the turret for the guns broke up the lines a little too much, and the 'air intake' at the back seemed distinctly non-eldar.

Whereas the new one's rather nice, and if you directly compare it to the plastic one, it's very sleek indeed. The turret's further back, too, which helps a lot. I'm wondering if it'll be an upgrade for the Serpent or falcon kit, though - no sign of a rear compartment extension yet, so it may be being made in resin.

Sareld
27-09-2006, 05:36
While this model might not look as good as it could (I seriously *hate* that huge 'rear wing'!), Im looking forward to a much less fragile model. Especially the current falcon is a nightmare to transport, and I have yet to find a way that wont damage the antennaes on the turret ect... these FW kits might just be the solution for that problem.

On the side note, do I sense a tendency here? First the falcon, then the wave serpent... maybe they will do a non metal fire prism too? I would definately buy that, the current GW one is hideously impractical with all its metal parts..

Messiah
27-09-2006, 07:21
The spoiler is ok. The door wedge on the other hand..

Gre'setal
24-10-2006, 11:42
That is in the November WD, with a load eldar stuff:D

JustTony
24-10-2006, 14:37
Having built several of both the original resin FW serpents and the new plastic GW serpent kit I have a couple of observations.

1. I loved the look of the original FW serpents with the low slung turrets and small field generator stones and the cross bar at the front of the hull. I thought it was a great looking design. However I always HATED working with them. Getting the rear hull fitting correctly was a major pain, and I NEVER got the resin doors and hinges to work properly, I always just glued the damn things shut. Usually the door pins broke by the third or fourth time the door was opened. The only one I ever got to work right was a casting from a mold I made after the second one broke that included a metal pin for the door to pivot on. I built 8 of the FW serpents and eventually did all the doors this way, it was a major pain and expensive as well. Resin is just a pain to work with, and I have way too damn many FW kits for all my armies, Dark Angels, Nids, Eldar, Tau and Deamonhunters/IG, so I know whereof I speak.

2. I hate the Spines and turret of the "new" GW plastic kit, but I love the ease with which it goes together, especially the rear hull and door assembly. I have taken to mixing the two kits on my currently building eldar army (I sold of the original 15000+ point Eldar AirCav force, much to my eventual regret.).
The plastic rear hull assembly works great and the smaller generators, crossbar and turret work just fine.

This new FW kit is one that I THINK I like but I'll reserve final judgement until I can actually see one of the darn things from more than just these two angles. Also I really want to know exactly what is resin and what is plastic.
Just my two cents worth.

Peace; through superior firepower

konate
24-10-2006, 15:18
Don't think it will be too popular. FW is notoriously expensive, and they haven't made it noticeably different. It'll bomb.

Heru Talon
25-10-2006, 00:34
Hmm methinks I'm just going to get the normal GW one and do some radical conversions... the whole spoiler look just doesn't sit right with me :-/

Suri_Mapother
25-10-2006, 03:07
A Falcon with poles coming out of the sides. Wow.

Evilgnome
25-10-2006, 03:48
I dont like that Spoiler,

nor do i like FW keeping the spines, I want the old style Plate Wave Serpent

The "old style Plate" waveserpent was a redesign from Epic in which all Eldar vehicles lost their previous spiny aspect and took on awful angular solar panels... not Eldar looking at all.

The spines are a return to the original look for the Eldar.

While I still like the original FW waveserpent they were the most poorly cast and difficult to work with kits I have ever encountered.

Lord_Bedlem
31-10-2006, 14:54
Meh kit indeed!

maraxis
31-10-2006, 17:49
Other than the wings on the back, i don't see much difference... Really disapointing...

Core_Commander
31-10-2006, 18:47
I love the new FW avatar, but this one here... Looks just a bit too back-heavy for my taste. Baby's got back, but Eldar are supposed to be slim :(.

I prefer the more compact-looking type I.

Austinitor
31-10-2006, 19:07
Very well put, hammerofulric. Eldar could certainly use another non-superheavy, non-flyer instead of another wasteful re-do.

-Austin

This kind of thing is such a waste of FW's time. Do we really need new versions of plastic models?
They could be doing so many cooler models.

Iracundus
01-11-2006, 12:11
Given that the Eldar Epic list now has another new superheavy or 2 (I think one super sized monofilament artillery vehicle and one super-sized transport), I think Forgeworld could spend its time and resources doing those or other smaller Eldar vehicles instead of tinkering existing GW kits that are mediocre at best.

I wish they'd spend more time doing other alien races instead of yet another Imperial Guard variant ripping off from World War I (or WW2). The Imperial Guard stuff is good but it does get repetitious after awhile. The way they expanded the Tau range was good. Wish they'd do more for the other races like Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, etc...

Sildani
01-11-2006, 13:11
Don't hold your breath for the Void Spinner, Storm Serpent, or Cobra II for that matter. I e-mailed FW a while back and was told those are unlikely to be done.

I'd love a new Fire Prism, female Autarch, or Slicing Orb of Zandros. An FW Solitaire would rock all concievable houses, too.

CaptainSenioris
02-11-2006, 23:12
I'd buy out any extra wave serpents that you may need now before they stop production of their current one, I have 2 just now and may get a couple of the coversion kits so in the future if I need it, it's there.

I only just noticed that they don't have the mark 1 scorpian any more, so I'm guessing the wave serpent will go the same way.

JeffJedi
03-11-2006, 06:28
Is it just me or is the new turret more offset than the plastic GW version?