PDA

View Full Version : Spiderbanner + wolf riders

Metafizikal
25-09-2006, 16:02
Been thinking about tryin this out, but before I lay down nearly 100$ Im curious to see what people think. Say a unit of 15-20 wolf riders with a BSB (goblins) and the spider banner. I know the books not out yet, but the souces say that it gives all goblins in the unit poison.

so, 18" movement range and upwards to 15-20 poison short bow shots. I think this could work really well with the free reform. Even in combat the unit wouldnt be too bad. Would work wonderfully against giants and other large targets.

Anyone think the unit would just be too many points?

Revlid
25-09-2006, 16:36
Yep. With the Spider Banner you really just want to give it to a 30+ strong unit of Goblin Archers. With just 30 that's average 5 Poison wounds a turn. Not bad for 90 Points + Banner.

Unwise
26-09-2006, 06:16
Though with their short range, how are they going to hit anything if not mounted on wolves?

To get the full amount of shots, they would need to be on a hill that is within a short distance of the enemy, or be shooting an enemy who is on a hill. Neither of which is going to happen very often in a normal game.

Kedlav
26-09-2006, 06:44
Keep in mind, a 20 strong wolf unit with a magic banner is going to be waaaaaaaay expensive. They may have a bit better mobility, but better to keep it on a larger gobbo infantry unit IMO. Cheap=good

Griefbringer
26-09-2006, 06:51
To get the full amount of shots, they would need to be on a hill that is within a short distance of the enemy, or be shooting an enemy who is on a hill. Neither of which is going to happen very often in a normal game.

Or shooting against a large target.

warlord hack'a
26-09-2006, 10:49
theoretically both are a good idea, but in practise you will not get a lot of shooting unless the enemy is in your face... And do not forget with the wolfboyz that you need to field them one rank deep to get maximum shots, this will make a very wide unit which might not fit amongst the terrain.. Also, with the woflboyz if shooting over half range whilst having moved you already need 6's to hit and against single models/behind cover/skirmishers you will ot even have poisoned attacks left..

However, against lightly armoured large target they will be a pain!

Avian
26-09-2006, 11:01
Been thinking about tryin this out, but before I lay down nearly 100$ Im curious to see what people think. Say a unit of 15-20 wolf riders with a BSB (goblins) and the spider banner. I know the books not out yet, but the souces say that it gives all goblins in the unit poison.

so, 18" movement range and upwards to 15-20 poison short bow shots.
Firstly, I doubt you will be able to shoot with your entire unit, unless in very specific circumstances.

Secondly, a unit of 15 wolf riders with short bows plus a gobbos BSB with the spider banner on a wolf is 317 points minimum, for a unit that cannot actually fight and has no rank bonus at all.

In conclusion, I cannot imagine this sort of unit being anything but thrown away points. Too expensive for what it does and much too easy to take out.

Arch-Traitor Horus
26-09-2006, 11:33
whats the differance between the spider riders and wolf riders because i have 20 spider riders i dont like and if theres little or no differance im not gonna use them (wolf riders look better IMHO)

metro_gnome
26-09-2006, 11:37
spidaz is slower (M7), have poisoned attacks, and ignore difficult terrain...
off roaders!

spida banner in a bolt thrower crew? discuss...

growlf!?!
26-09-2006, 12:21
spidaz is slower (M7), have poisoned attacks, and ignore difficult terrain...
off roaders!

spida banner in a bolt thrower crew? discuss...

that won't really work either, as the poisoned hit would only effect the first model (i think) that and the BSB could still be targetted as there is no were near enough goblins to hide behind.

metro_gnome
26-09-2006, 13:38
if you you took a bully you'd be able to hide...
don't see why the bolt thrower wouldn't remain poisoned as it cut through the ranks...

Avian
26-09-2006, 14:45
and the BSB could still be targetted as there is no were near enough goblins to hide behind.
He could not be specifically targeted, except with cannons and the like, though he would get his share of the hits.

Revlid
26-09-2006, 17:22
Why would it matter? Poison is only on the roll to hit, so if you roll a Six to hit with your Bolthrower (once per game on average) then you'll automatically wound with your S6 Hit. Yeah. Great use of both points and a BSB there.