PDA

View Full Version : justifications for an all-aspect warrior force

ashc
25-09-2006, 18:43
Well, i suppose the title says it all really. What would the justification/reasoning be for an all-aspect army to be fielded? Im considering playing one with the release of the new eldar codex, so its quite important to a player like myself from a fluff standpoint.

follow-on question: How about the justification of vehicular transports in said army? Would an aspect force 'borrow' vehicles from craftworlds, and who would drive them? could aspect warriors drive them?

Im just looking at some fluff avenues for this sort of thing; if you dont think it sounds especially plausible then please say so and i will look at something a lot less 'out there'.

cheers

Ash

Commissar Vaughn
25-09-2006, 19:05
well I think for most craftworlds the aspect warriors are the standing army, the guardians are just the cooks and cleaners whove been formed into temporary militias..bieltan takes this a step further, and ulthwe (I think) doesnt have many aspect warriors so has to train its militia better. But if an eldar commander had a choice they'd send in as many aspect warriors as possible rather than committ civilians! So theres your justification! Transport drivers? not sure, probably drawn from the most experienced Guardians. Maybe eldar that have been on the Path of the Warrior and then after a few centuries changed to the Path of the Bus Driver would be considered perfect for flying a wave serpent :D

All guardian armies are probably less likely than all aspect warrior armies.

Helicon_One
25-09-2006, 19:52
No particular 'justification' required, all-Aspect armies should be fairly common by Eldar standards.

The Eldar don't typically go in for large scale operations like the Imperium - they use small rapid strike forces of elite warriors to achieve specific objectives, and use their psykers as a force-multiplier. Only in unusual circumstances will the Eldar need so many warm bodies on the battlefield that they need to mobilise the Guardians.

Tim

ashc
25-09-2006, 21:12
Thanks for the replies guys; so what craftworlds would field all-aspect strike forces? i was thinking biel-tan mostly, but what of the others? and would it be possible for pirate forces to possibly consist of all-aspect forces? (i.e. lets say something like Yriel's force may consist, or some other fighting pirate prince autarch?)

Ash

Helicon_One
25-09-2006, 21:16
I think they'd all have the capability - if all a particular operation needs is 50-100 warriors then I'm sure any Craftworld can scrape that together from Aspects.

Do pirate forces include Aspects? I was under that impression that Pirates were mostly Gaurdian-level troops (although thats just going by the unit entry in the 2nd Ed Codex).

Tim

ashc
25-09-2006, 21:34
Do pirate forces include Aspects? I was under that impression that Pirates were mostly Gaurdian-level troops (although thats just going by the unit entry in the 2nd Ed Codex).

Tim

Well this is what i was wondering? could aspect warriors go pirate? could pirates become aspect warriors? perhaps we will find out more when GW explain whats happened with Prince Yriel in the new dex...

Ash

Inq. Veltane
25-09-2006, 21:43
Pirates are on the Path of the Outcast. Aspect Warriors are on the Path of the Warrior. You can have former Aspect Warriors who choose to become Outcasts but when you forsake the Eldar Path you forsake the Aspects of War...

And a typical eldar force would be aspects supported by Guardian-crewed vehicles so you really don't need any special justification for it. Every craftworld (even Ulthwe) can do it.

Xisor
25-09-2006, 22:47
Fluffwise, simply 'create' or fluff a shrine appropriate enough to be crewing vehicles. Swooping Hawks'd probably be fairly decent Falcon pilots, Shining Spears can still have lances on a Vyper(albeit Bright Lances). Dark Reapers could feasibly mount up into Warwalkers.

You'd need a few distinctive markings and such, but you *could* bypass the Guardians almost entirely...

Which Craftworlds could do it? Biel Tann is the most obvious, but almost every Craftworld *could*, and often would do it.

Xisor

Inq. Veltane
25-09-2006, 23:11
Fluffwise, simply 'create' or fluff a shrine appropriate enough to be crewing vehicles. Swooping Hawks'd probably be fairly decent Falcon pilots, Shining Spears can still have lances on a Vyper(albeit Bright Lances). Dark Reapers could feasibly mount up into Warwalkers.

Sorry but thats completely missing the point of what Aspect Warriors are. Swooping Hawks train in ritual forms of combat that use their wings and lasblasters. They don't train for other forms of combat, ever. Each shrine has its weapons and thats all it learns to use. Just because Dark Reapers have long ranged weapons doesn't mean they would strap themselves into War Walkers. Thats simply not part of their Aspect.

If you want to invent an Aspect that does use a form of War Walker then I guess its just about possible it exists, but it would have to be a distinct aspect.

ashc
25-09-2006, 23:25
im not really trying to take most of those things to be honest; the only things im looking at are aspect warriors and transports for aforementioned aspect warriors :)

Ash

Minister
25-09-2006, 23:53
COncidering that there's at least one aspect dedecated to the role of bomber pilot, it's not that unreasonable (don't recall the name, but it's in Shadow Point).

It would seem to me that a pure aspect force is pushing it, but having all the infantry as aspects and the vehicle crews as guardians is quite reasonable.

Inquisitor Engel
26-09-2006, 05:02
COncidering that there's at least one aspect dedecated to the role of bomber pilot, it's not that unreasonable (don't recall the name, but it's in Shadow Point).

There is indeed, however, normal vehicles are piloted by specially trained crews and pilots, but mostly fit into the role of Guardian. Think of Aspect Warriors as the standing Army of a Craftworld, Vehicle and Jetbike crews as the Army Reserve and Guardians as the National Guard (albeit a tad more conscripted!).

The Reservists are always more trained than the Guard, because the missions they're deployed on require more practice and skill, same with jetbikes.

That said, it's probably safe to assume that vehicle pilot is in fact a Path in-and-of itself, with its 'aspects' being particular to the vehicle or type of vehicle they're chosen to pilot, but that's getting a bit to into my own ideas about the Path System, which is for another thread entirely. ;)