PDA

View Full Version : Another army diary by Spikedog, this time its Vampire Counts!

spikedog
27-09-2006, 13:08
Well its about time for Spikedog to start another army diary! It seems like I am cranking out one of these babies every few months...

Well this time it is Vampire Counts. Like my 'nid army I wanted one I could do relatively quick because I end up taking ages painting single models.

I am still working on my Skaven and 'nids but in the mean time to keep me busy during my dry times (When I don't have inspiration for either of those armies) I decided to start a small Vampire Counts force.

I am going to start out at about 500 points and move up to 1k and stop there. I am going for a Necromancer army but if it ever went above 1k then I might consider moving it to the Lamiah.

Anyway enough blabbing on to some pictures!

Now these are all WIP shots so please be kind, this is the first unit, some of the models are in a more advanced state of completion than others. Also there are some pictures of the things I think ever VC player has, Skeletons being raised!

http://www.neoteros.com/site/imgs/warhammer/skelunit1.jpg

Here I have some of the 2 most finished models in the unit. This is kind of what I am aiming for with the whole unit.

http://www.neoteros.com/site/imgs/warhammer/skel1.jpg

Finally here is my WIP test for Grave Guard, I don't really like the ornate Grave Guard that GW does so here I have just tried to make it look like a Skeleton in heavy armour. Obviously they will be painted very dark to match the armies look.

http://www.neoteros.com/site/imgs/warhammer/graveg.jpg

Well people as always your opinions are why I post things here so please lets here them!

mrtn
27-09-2006, 14:21
Hm. I like the painting, but I'm not so fond of your ideas. :skull:
I don't like that you covered the skellies in sand like that. To me that only say "skellies covered in glue and sand", not "skellies crawling out of their graves", which I assume is what you want to say.

The scale of the sand is wrong for being anything else than coarse gravel..

As to the grave guard, I don't think he should have organic armour (that's leather he has), old chainmail would be better IMO. So, I don't like that idea either. :(

However, the execution (;)) is flawless. :)

McMullet
27-09-2006, 14:52
I agree - the painting is very good, but the concepts need some alteration. The skeletons with sand on them are a nice idea and I think it works some of the time, but you have to make it look like the dirt is sitting naturally on them. Of the two finished guys, the second (the chap with the spear), looks great, IMHO. He really looks like he's climbing from the ground with soil spilling off him. The one with the cutlass thing, on the other hand, looks like he has sand stuck to him. I think part of the problem there is that you can't really see he's climbing out of the ground, so you only expect to see dirt where it'd stay for a long time.

On to the grave guard... I agree that the armour looks too organic; also, I think it looks too much like light armour and too, well, scruffy. On the other hand, combining plastic kits like that is a good way to make better grave guard (I'm not overly fond of the current models either). I'm guessing there aren't any decent heavily armoured plastic human kits to use. Perhaps there'll be plastic greatswords with the new Empire stuff...?

Good work on the skellies, the soil thing will work if you use it subtly, but I think the grave guard need idea needs modifying.

spikedog
27-09-2006, 16:03
Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for being honest. I have never done VC's or even any Skeleton models before so its a learning curve. Hope you all will stick with me through it!

@ mrtn - I hear what you are saying about the sand, it is much larger than earth would be at that size but have you ever tried using something like beach sand on a model? I find (And I understand this may just be down to my abilities, or lack there of) that if you go much finer grade than the average modeling sand you get at GW or hobby shops that it gets lost under the paint and then you really don't see any detail. It does also stand out more in the pictures than in real life but I hear what you are saying.

@ McMullet - Always glad to have you posting in one of my threads McMullet, :) I think I will tone the sand down on some of the future Skeletons and maybe even reserve it for just the ones coming out of the ground (Which I plan to be the 3rd rank and behind in every unit) as of now I only have 3 Skeletons with sand on them so it is easily done.

As for the Grave Guard it seems I am not the only person to have had the idea of mixing Skeletons with the Bretonian Men at Arms sprue:

Cutthroat's GG (http://www.coolminiornot.com/101918)
Mentor's Militia (http://www.coolminiornot.com/67223)

Although I don't plan to do mine quite like either of these, they might give you an idea as to how they could look when finished. I agree they could do with a little more armour and it is something I might add at a later date but for now I'm going to concentrate on the normal Skeleton units.

Also a general call out to people, I also don't like the Black Knights models and was thinking of converting my own maybe using the Empire Knights models, has anyone seen any good conversions of Black Knights?

McMullet
27-09-2006, 16:21
The first of those actually looks rather good - I'll retract my comment, it does work. ;)

I look forward to seeing yours done.

Never seen any Empire Knight conversions, but Bretonnians seem to be fairly popular as a basis for Black Knights. The main problem with the ones I've seen is that they look a lot like, well, Bretonnians, if you get me. :p Whether you use Empire or Bretonnian Knights, make sure you add enough undead bits...

mrtn
27-09-2006, 19:38
...@ mrtn - I hear what you are saying about the sand, it is much larger than earth would be at that size but have you ever tried using something like beach sand on a model? I find (And I understand this may just be down to my abilities, or lack there of) that if you go much finer grade than the average modeling sand you get at GW or hobby shops that it gets lost under the paint and then you really don't see any detail. It does also stand out more in the pictures than in real life but I hear what you are saying.
I usually use fine beach sand on my bases, but I've never tried it on the mini itself.
Another thing is that I don't really like where you have your sand clumps. Having it on the weapons for example just feels unrealistic, it should fall off much earlier.
But maybe you could have it in the chest cavities? That's a quite closed place, so there's a bigger chance that some mud would stay there. But, it should be mud, your highlighting make it look more like sand. Sand is dry and falls off, mud is clingy and could possibly stay up.

Hope my constructive criticism is seen as that, and not the nagging I'm sometimes accused of. :D

tensions
27-09-2006, 22:04
very well painted skeletons, looks like you have spent lots of time in them.

the conversion of the men at arm are cool as well. can't wait to see them painted.

tensions

th0r
27-09-2006, 22:07
I like the skeletons, especially the ones comming out of the ground (hand is the best). Keep up the good work!

violenceha
28-09-2006, 04:00
If you want a skeleton to look as though he's just come up from the grave, have him brushing some dirt off one shoulder, i convinced a friend to do variations of that a few years back and they looked absolutely classic.

spikedog
28-09-2006, 13:10
@ McMullet - Yea I know what you mean about the Bret Knight conversions, plus I don't think the horses are quite armoured and/or dead enough looking for me. Even with a rotting paint job they would still look very "alive". I am thinking of using the horse from the mounted Wight Lord (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060207029&orignav=13)model and making that the horses for the unit and then converting the Knights from Empire Knights.

@ tensions - Thanks :) The Skeletons are in fact the quickest things I have ever painted. I do them in groups of 5 and I think one group from undercoat to final highlight (Not inc. Sand and base) takes about 30 mins.

@ violenceha - Thanks for the tip, I'm trying to not make my Skeletons look too comical but I will see what I can do!

Well not much to update on today, I spent my modeling time today building up the first 2 ranks of the 2nd Skeleton unit. I can't finish the paint or sand work on the 1st unit yet as I have run out of materials. I am going to get some tomorrow so expect some sort of major update soon after the weekend.

I did however get a chance to try out a potential scheme for my Grave Guard. Obviously this is WIP and the details still need doing but I would like to hear what you all think.

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/graveg2.jpg

As you can see the weapon hasn't been touched, this is mainly due to the fact I have no idea what colour to do it. They are supposed to be wight blades but silver just doesn't seem to be right. I think copper may look a bit naff too as there is already so much of it on the model so I was thinking obsidian black, what do you guys and gals think?

Rich 123
28-09-2006, 13:31
Looking good Spikedog. Although I have to share some people's sentiment that the sand is a bit much. Having it on the lower halves and in the crevices of the skellies rising from the ground at the back of a regiment would look good though.

Nice idea, and I understand what you mean by the coarseness of the sand! Something I have used before is to get a coarse grit sandpaper and press it into GS that you have already applied and roughly shaped makes a nice fine grain but deep look. Take to painting better than sand as well and I find it gives you a bit more control.

I used that quick method on the soil part of this minis base:

+ + Image removed at SPIKEDOG's request PhilB WarSeer =I= + +

The Wight lord steed would look good with empire knight based Black Knights. You could almost use the whole original knight mini but just make sure they aren't all helmeted and that maybe the odd piece off armour isn't there anymore or is rusted through to show the skeletons within the armour. The Lords steed would be an easy job to cut and pin the legs into new positions with the tiniest bit of GS needed to fill the gaps. Although I think the shapes and flow of the cloth drapery on it should be resculpted and varied a bit between each one to stop the unit looking odd.

The basis for the grave guard is looking ok. I agree that the organic armour looks a bit out of place on skeletons in that condition as well as looking alot like light armour. With all the robed areas however it would be an easy job to convert all of that quickly to chainmail. You can spread a very thin layer of GS over the robed section and then, starting from the top and working in horizontal lines, start jabbing into it with something pointed like a cocktail stick or tooth pick or whatever. Keeping in straight lines gives a nice chainmail look. Once its had an hour or so to cure you can push it and move it around a little to make it look like it is in montion.

Also remember the chainmail needs to be ragged and torn to fit in right ;)
Dammit you're tempting me away from my plans of doing an all night gobbo army after my marines and making me think skeleton thoughts!

Good luck with it.
Dicky

Hideous Loon
28-09-2006, 14:01
Good work with that Grave Guard, spikedog. Suggestion for the Wight Blades: For my BKs and GGs, I painted the blades silver as usual, and then I gave them a watered inkwash of dark green. This manuevre made them look all shimmery and magic-y. Could do with a bit of work, though, but the basic idea is there.

McMullet
28-09-2006, 14:33
Not sure about the purple on the Grave Guard - if you're going to give them leather armour then it should look more decayed and old I think. The reddish-brown and black in the first of the two units you linked to does this very well. Purple just looks too new and flashy to me. It's painted nicely, but doesn't look dead enough. :p

I think there's too much space to do it all as chainmail, but a few bits (eg, on the upper arms) would work well I think, to make it look like there is something solider under the robe/coat.

Make that robe look tattier with some more natural colour (maybe even keeping a hint of purple) and it'll be good. Add a spot of chainmail and it'll be great I think. :)

Getting a weapon to look magic is tricky with paint. The safe option us to just paint them as rusty steel and say there're no visible effects. Alternatively, perhaps paint them as rusty steel, then do something with the edges of the blades to show them as being magically sharp, like a blue highlight or something. Though obsidian blades are always cool. ;)

EDIT: Forgot the Black Knights. :p

The wight steed is good, but a whole unit with the same horse might look a bit odd. What do you think of combining the Empire Knight and Skeletal steed models? Looking at them, it should be airly easy to combine the two kits, and as long as there's plenty of bone showing, and you make the barding good and knackered, they should look pretty dead...

BLZBOB
28-09-2006, 14:59
If you don't mind spending a couple of quid, lok to pick up some woodland scenics brand coarse earth, its ground latex particles in a brownish colour and scales wonderfully to 28mm looking lto all intents and purposes earth. Seen below I have used the green [turf] version in place of regular flock both the grass elements of the 40mm base and the ground on which it is sitting were covered with this material.

+ + Image removed at SPIKEDOG's request. PhilB WarSeer =I= + +

Kittah
28-09-2006, 17:21
I'm liking what I see so far for the most part, though I don't know if I like the purple. Perhaps it just looks a bit rougher than what I've seen you manage on your other armies, particularly compared with the striking and beautiful red you managed on your Skaven.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to seeing it in the flesh, or plastic at least when I get to Japan. I'm due on Monday and I intend to get into my Fantasy ASAP as I'm lucky enough to have been gifted with a bit of spending money. Let me catch up and I'll see you on the battlefield as I learn? ;)

spikedog
28-09-2006, 17:38
Hahaha nice one Kittah, if you meet up with me you can have the pleasure of seeing the Skaven and Vampires in person. As I said let me know when you get here and I will throw you my mobile number should you need a hand with anything or just want to meet up for a game etc.

As for the purple the more I look at that picture the more I hate it (The picture not the colour) it really does look better in real life. I will have to re-take the pictures and post them here.

Even though I am not sure about the colour yet I have started building up some more Grave Guard to get the unit ready for painting. I will show you all these as soon as they are in a fit state for photography.

@ Rich 123 - Thanks for the tip about GS and sandpaper, it may be a little hard to do when it is on an uneven model though. I will give it a try on some bases though as I like the picture you posted.

@ Hideous Loon - Your method of washes over the blade sounds similar to something I tried on my Plague Monks swords and it looked good, I then put brown etc over it for that rusted look but the trouble is I'm trying to stay away from too many metallics on these models and they already have a lot of brass on them. I may give it a try though as I can always redo it if I don't like it aye!

@ McMullet - Some of the other models in the Bret set in fact have Chainmail on them, the ones that are designed to be the command so when seen from the front this unit should look a little more armoured than it currently does.

@ BLZBOB - I would love to get a load of Woodland Scenic's stuff but they don't sell it out here, at least not anywhere I have seen and the shipping costs may be a little too high for just basing material. I may have another look around the rail model shops though just in case.

As much as I love people giving advice what is with all the Space Marine pictures for examples? :D

Mooncow
29-09-2006, 14:58
post...more...spacemarines!:p

Im quite happy you are making this army, ogres being fearcausing, having low WS(but not as low as skellies) and low I (but not as low as undead) make for crunchy goodness...

not sure if there is enough meat to satisfy my gres.

as for the mud-add a bit of static grass to make it look like mud clods-the grass roots hold mud together like that. I think adding a few greenstuff rags might make them look a bit more ragged.

for me undeads palate should be purple (try actually mixing red and blues for a more ancient purple, not sp vivid) oragne (for that halloween feel) black and cream-nice rotten burial shrouds and that.

anyways, i wanna see what models you will use as necromancers. I like the mordheim one and the witch too, nice and eeevil looking, not over the top.

Kittah
29-09-2006, 23:54
I'm just wondering how you went about painting your skeletons, as I'm quite fond of the effect - is it following the suggestion in the Codex to prime white, wash brown ink and drybrush bleached bone and white? Looks similar, but better than the Codex.

spikedog
02-10-2006, 14:20
@ Mooncow - You suck, your Ogres suck bog off.

@ Kittah - You got it spot on, the only difference is that I mix some Scorched Brown in with the Brown Ink so it doesn't go shiny and after the Bleached Bone drybrush I go over the raised areas with a thin watered down highlight of Bleached Bone.

Well I haven't had much chance to do any work on the VC's in the last few days as I have been house hunting but I will post what I have managed to get done.

First up I managed to finish off the first unit of 15 with their bases and here they are: (Minus weapons of course)

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/skelunit2.jpg

Also here is my attempt to create a half way decent Black Knight, I plan to mix the unit so some of them are in further states of decay than others. Some will have this amount of armour and some will have less. Obviously I plan to remove the plastic feet spacer things oh and also the tail will be painted as if it is part of the armour of the horse and not as hair.

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/bknight.jpg

What do you all think?

mrtn
02-10-2006, 16:06
I like everything but the tail. :) I think it would be better without, or with something that looks like a skeletal tail. Maybe a skaven tail painted bone would work? Just a thought.

BTW, just saw your sig, what's a Vampire dairy? Undead milk that sucks back at you? ;)

Mooncow
02-10-2006, 17:00
My ogres suck...on juicy bones!!

I agree the tain looks out of place. a bone tail wouldnt beb too hard to make from gs surely?

Arcane_Blade
02-10-2006, 17:39
I agree with the last two posts, something more skeletal for the tail will look better. Plus, maybe put even a tiny amount of armour on the head, just looks a little weedy in comparison to the body. Of course, that's proably me being picky. They look awesome so far, and keep it up!

spikedog
05-10-2006, 05:40
@ mrtn, Mooncow, Arcane_Blade - I understand how you might think the tail looks out of place but as I said I plan to paint it like the armour. Horses don't have bones in their tails and therefor a Skeletal one would have no tail. This however looks strange and thus I am going to see what this looks like.

Each horse in the unit will be different so maybe on some I will try no tail and others bone tails.

Anyway the more I look at the purple Grave Guard the more I dislike it, it is too clean. So I tried something a little darker and more Vampiric, what do we all think of this one:

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/graveg3.jpg

Murderous Monkey
05-10-2006, 08:50
I really like him. He's almost exactly how I imagine a Blood Dragon's Black Guard to look - retainers from a more recent age preserved in servitude forever. (Blood Dragons are my favourite vampire bloodline, so it's no bad thing!)

How big will the unit be and what sort of shields (if any) will you be adding? The men-at-arms shields seem the wrong shape for such disciplined undead to me, but I'm not sure what to suggest.

Consider your thread marked for inspiration, even if I am assembling Chaos and not Undead. Creative ideas and great painting are always encouraging to look at.

spikedog
05-10-2006, 12:44
Wow 2 updates in as many hours, I'm a painting machine!

Had a go at painting a Banshee today, this is my first time at painting anything even close to a ghost or similar so go easy on me.

I am quite happy with the way it turned out and despite what it may look like in my poor pictures there was an awful lot of layers and blending gone into this piece, working up from Shadow Grey to Skull White.

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/banshee.jpg

EDIT: Shes based now.

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/banshee2.jpg

mrtn
05-10-2006, 22:04
@ mrtn, Mooncow, Arcane_Blade - I understand how you might think the tail looks out of place but as I said I plan to paint it like the armour. Horses don't have bones in their tails and therefor a Skeletal one would have no tail...They do have bones in the tail, just picture-google "horse skeleton". :) It's short, but it's there.
And I understood that you're gonna paint that tail as armour, it's just that I don't really believe in the idea. ;) But it's your horse, you do what you damn well please with it. :p

I like both the new guard and the Banshee. :cool:

F4113N
06-10-2006, 00:40
for the banshee (sp?) it might make the model have the peroverbial "pop" if you pained one thing (like the jewel on the chain) a different color.
just a thought....

looks realy good- i like the sand on the skeletons for what it counts....

Mika
07-10-2006, 09:46
cool project, the latest graveguard looks way better than the first. Don´t worry about the sand on the skellies, that´s the way I did them and the trick is to put tufts of grass on them too to finish the effect. Every VC army needs some skellies/zombies rising from their graves, they just plain rock and are super easy to build!
Here´s mine for reference;
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1893/skellies010tf3.jpg

spikedog
07-10-2006, 12:49
OK normally I don't reply to my army diary's without picture updates but Mika I just had to come and ask about your wonderful Skeletons.

You used some static grass on them, did you paint it after or was it already that dull green/autumn colour? Also what are the leaves on the bases, are they brass etch or something else? If they are brass where did you get them because they look fab!

Top notch work though and I would love to see some more of your VC or infact any other armies you do.

Mika
07-10-2006, 14:11
Thanks! The grass is woodland scenics static grass flock, there´s 3 different colors in the mix, golden harvest, wild honey and burnt grass. It will end up looking like that, no painting involved. The leaves are birch seed, you can collect them around birch trees during this time of the year around where I live. What´s best, that´s their natural color, so you´ll just need to glue them on and that´s that!

Aquilla
07-10-2006, 14:12
Really nice work Spikedog!
You may have tempted me into doing some VC.

@Mika. What are the leaves on your skellies from?
EDIT: You read my mind..
.. and in doing so revealed your mutation...
DIE HERETIC!
*chases after mika with a torch.

:p

spikedog
09-10-2006, 10:18
@ Mika - Thanks for the tip I will have to look out for some Birch trees may be hard though as I live in the middle of one of the largest cities in the world.:D

Well update time!

Next Skeleton unit is finished (minus weapons) now its time to start building up some raised Skeletons as I know I will need them.

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/skelunit3.jpg

Also I have built up the first 5 Black Knights, I consider each one a learning process so when I build the next 5 I should think they will be better. I also plan to add some armour on a couple of the horses heads and necks but am at a bit of a loss as to how to do it.

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/bknight2.jpg

Oh also I am thinking of making some unit spacers, to bulk up the Skeleton units when I start raising models but would first like to see what people think:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=998116#post998116

I was thinking of making either some sort of largish gravestone/monument or maybe a dead tree.

McMullet
09-10-2006, 10:27
The Black Knights look great. I'm not sure about the tails; I think ultimately you can't get that perfectly right, since it looks wrong with no tail, but also looks wrong with a living tail or a skeletal tail. The skeletal tails at least look wrong in a fairly subtle way, so I think you made the right choice. ;)

I like the new Grave Guard scheme as well. Very nice indeed.

Keep up the good work! :)

Anardakil
09-10-2006, 16:34
I love your black knights. I'm looking forward to seeing them painted.

Simto
09-10-2006, 16:38
Very cool stuff, i love how the darkness and grittyness.

How did you paint the bases? They look awesome, Do they really look dark and almost muddy in real life ? or is it just the picture?

spikedog
12-10-2006, 15:26
@ McMullet - Thanks for the comments, I will be trying a few different styles of tails so we will see what happens.

@ Simto - The bases are easy to do, I start with sand and rocks which are glued down with PVA. Then I coat that with Brown Ink and PVA glue with a little Scorched Brown just to take the shine away. After that I highlight up from Scorched Brown to Breached Bone. The rocks are painted first Shadow Grey then highlighted with Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey. They don't look shiny or slimy in real life but they are quite dusty looking. I like the look personally.

Well this is likely to be my last update for a week or so as I am moving to a new flat and won't have internet for a while but rest assured when I am back I should have a fair few pictures for you all.

For now this is my test horse for my black knights:

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/horse.jpg
(The feather isn't done yet btw)

I am quite happy with the metal so I don't think I will be changing it too much. I plan to carry the oxidized copper theme through the whole armies metallics so it shouldn't look too strange when all lined up on the battle field.

Jedi152
12-10-2006, 15:30
Wow! How is that copper done?

McMullet
12-10-2006, 15:54
Wow! How is that copper done?
Said it first, said it best...

Fantastic! I have to keep looking at the picture again. It looks like, well, copper. I'm looking forward to a whole unit like that!

mrtn
13-10-2006, 00:27
Very cool horsie! And, however much you care, I prefer that tail. ;)

spikedog
13-10-2006, 11:46
OK THIS will be my final post for a week or so but there is no picture today, I'm sorry.

@ Jedi152, McMullet - The armour is really easy to do. I start by painting on pure Brazen Brass all over the area, then I use a very watered down layer of Jade Green. (A fantastic, old GW colour that is no longer made. :cries:) I think it is about 1:6 water. Wait for this to dry and then a light drybrush with Brazen Brass and you're done!

Now you might be saying to yourself, "Spikedog, surely you should be using Beaten Copper to paint Copper armour!" But I tried it with that and it just doesn't look right, its too dark. On its own it looks OK as Copper but once you try and age it, it just looks wrong.

OK so I have done the horse (Based and details) and I like the look but when I painted the knight with the same method it kind of gets lost on the horse if you know what I mean. I don't need him to stand out a lot but you should be able to see where the knight ends and the horse starts. I tried a little black armour on him but have never tried it before so I'm not sure the correct way to highlight it. Has anyone got any pictures/guides to painting black armour on knights/heavy armoured troops? (And Space Marine armour doesn't count because it looks completely different :p )

Failing that I ask you, the wonderful people of Warseer, what colour/method do you think I should paint the knight?

McMullet
13-10-2006, 12:14
What about making it look like black-painted steel armour?

Then you can paint it black, add some scratches, drybrush the edges in boltgun metal and add some rust effects. Or, do the edges as you've done your copper barding, to make it look like painted copper armour (which makes more sense I supppose).

By the way, Vallejo still make Jade Green.

Punk_in_Drublic
13-10-2006, 12:59
Do the armour on the knights like you've done the barding on your horse. Will look great. I've done a regiment of chaos knights with oxidised bronze/gold and personally I think it looks ace.

Also, it's VERY refreshing to see the wfb themed projects popping up, there is too much focus on 40k in here!

Later,

-Punk

spikedog
08-11-2006, 10:44
Well I'm back!

I have been without internet access for about a month hense the lack of updates here (Not that anyone really cares) but in the time I have been away I have got a fair bit done but it has kind of come to a halt while I wait on a GW order to come through.

Still just in case anyone was wondering how it was coming along I shall show you all my progress:

Well first up the first 2 units of Skellies are done minus weapons,

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/skellies.jpg

There are 2 units of 20 with command plus 10 extra for raising etc, and yes I know I need more than 10 for raising.

After I did all those I was trying to work out how I wanted the banners to look and this is what I have come up with so far,

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/standards.jpg

Also you may have seen my test black knights, well they are all painted up now and look like this,

http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/blackk1.jpg
http://www.neoteros.com/imgs/warhammer/blackk2.jpg

I have another unit of 5 in the works which I will show you all when I have something more done on them but they should look pretty similar to these.

spikedog
08-11-2006, 10:45
Lastly we have my unit spacer for the skellies, this goes in place of 6 skellies and should bring a little character to the unit and I plan to do something else similar for the other unit.

Here it is unpainted:

http://www.neoteros.com/site/imgs/warhammer/tree2.jpg

And painted (although not finished):

http://www.neoteros.com/site/imgs/warhammer/tree.jpg

Well all thats a fairly large post so I hope to hear some opinions!

th0r
08-11-2006, 10:56
I think you need a little less green on your black knights. The big skeleton base with the tree is awesome. Definitly going to be an impressive sight on the battlefield.

Alex Under
08-11-2006, 11:49
Brilliant as usual, only there is something to the knights I don't like... It's not that there is too much jade, but I think you need to make a sharp contrast somewhere; Try adding some blood red or deep purple on some rims, weapons or something?

McMullet
08-11-2006, 11:56
Great stuff! Good to see another update. :)

The skeleton banners look good. I suppose they may look a little out of place, since they have organic stuff (cloth) on them still, but there again only the most pedantic people will notice that.

The tree is very nice. It could maybe use an extra skeleton, but it looks great as it is.

The Knights look good. I still love the metal, but I agree you may have overdone the green - especially as it is a light coloured wash. That means it's actually got lighter in the recesses, instead of darker (this is especially noticeable on the flail). It might be worth putting a dark green or black wash in the recesses to put the shade back. From a distance, they look green rather than copper, so maybe putting some more brass on would help too.

Sort that out and they'll be perfect. ;)

paspinall
08-11-2006, 13:46
Well first time posting on this thread, first of all lets just say tht although I ant tear myself away from these army threds they lways driv me mad as I want to start many of the armis I see, then and there and this one is certainly no exception.

Skeletons, look lot btter than my attempts several years back

Guard: The new colour scheme look a lot better, have you made a final shield choice? They just seem like they may be a little odd if they hve mssive bretonnian influence yet the knights are clearly empire influenced.

Kinghts: I think these look god but they really need some contrast on there somewhere, perhaps it wuld be possible to make some of the armoured pieces look as though they were previouslly laquered or something? Just gives some traces of contrast, of ourse painted shields will help if they are going to get those. As for the comment on the lightness in the deeper crevices, well my copper statuette here at home has the same look to it, Im not a metallurgy expert of course so it my be utterly wrong on my statuette too !

Good Work anyway, look forward to seeing more.