PDA

View Full Version : Can the PSP interface with a removable HD?

Oracle
27-06-2005, 18:37
I've been thinking about buying a psp for some time now, and I'm still on the fence. Recently, however, my friend and I were thinking about the PSP's possibilities, and something came to us. The PSP has a 2.0 usb cable, and you can buy the cables for supposed computer to psp transfer. But what about removable harddrives? There are many varities of RHD that fit easily into your pocket, and don't need a DC power source - they run on the USB. So if I put 40 PSP encoded dvd files onto my RHD, along with some ROMs and what not, could I carry both in my pocket and just slide files back and forth like nobody's business? If this were true, it would greatly improve the versatiliy and lure of this already sweet system. Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Shining_Spear
01-07-2005, 02:01
But, is the PSP's usb port powered?

I seriously doubt it, as a PSP battery doesn't hold a charge that long anyway.

PCs can use the power they get from the wall to power their usb ports.

I could be wrong though; I don't really know that much about usb technology.

Oracle
03-07-2005, 05:50
That's exactly what I was wondering as well. Because if the PSP USB was powered, you could run palm keyboards and other great stuff off of it. Does anyone that owns a PSP know if the USB is powered?

Brimstone
03-07-2005, 11:36
Does anyone that owns a PSP know if the USB is powered?

Well I don't own a PSP (yet) but it certainly appears the USB is powered, both Sony and Logic3 are releasing USB keyboards for it.

You can even buy this data transfer cable (http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6095.htm) that also allows you to recharge your PSP via the USB.

nick
03-07-2005, 13:30
Part of the USB standard is that a host port should be able to output upto 400mA. This seems to be the case with the PSP but be warned that much power isn't generally enough for anything other than a flash drive, or a mini hard disk (microdrive sized).

I'm sure sony have lots of plans to interface between the PS3 and the PSP but exact details will not come out for a while. Did anyone see those slides sony did of the connectivity? The PSP was on the slides along with almost everything else you could name.

Nick