PDA

View Full Version : Minotaur armyies

Shazarn
28-09-2006, 03:36
hiya,
i was looking at the doombull and minotaur rules and was wondering what the general public of Warhammer players thought about them
just looking 4 some feed back atm
thx

(//.-)
28-09-2006, 05:40
I think Doombull armies are incredible.

Most people will tell you they're overplayed, and that nurgle isn't the way to go.

I'd ignore them on both points.

The one disadvantage to a doombull army is your inner battle as to weather or not you want to stick with the whole "big guy" theme, or go with a more "mixed" approach.

In my early rhumenations of a doombull army, I was of the former school. A purist. The bad thing (for me, atleast) was that I honestly couldn't make a competitive, well-rounded army that didn't dabble in the "little" guys.

Beast herds make awesome screens and brayshamen are invaluable for their magical defense (and Bear's Anger is sweet!).

Luck!

Emo

Frankly
28-09-2006, 06:35
I think Doombull armies are incredible.

I agree.

I proxy played one for a while a year back, using khorne mino's, it was pretty awesome, very, very hitty with lots of mobility and great anti-magic.

Basically I was running mine with lots of chaos hounds witch was the meat and bones of the armylist(around 50-70hounds)and used them to get the mino units into combat. It was a really smashy, fast list and fun to play.

BoC armies with ambush and minotaurs are going to run really well in 7th with the new whipe out rules IMO.

Shazarn
28-09-2006, 09:08
BoC armies with ambush and minotaurs are going to run really well in 7th with the new whipe out rules IMO.

sry, have not yet read the nu rule book, can someone plz explain the wipe out rules (sry if asking that is n00bish)

other than that,
Frankly, Frankly's army sounds great but im not too fond of hounds. beast units sound better and having those other big beastmen units sounds very fun, Dragon ogres, Sweeet.......

btw, any suggestions on marks and why that mark for the army

Frankly
28-09-2006, 10:29
other than that,
Frankly, Frankly's army sounds great but im not too fond of hounds. beast units sound better and having those other big beastmen units sounds very fun, Dragon ogres, Sweeet.......

The only problem with herds is that they can't keep up with mino's and slows them down when they meat shield for them(if you don't have meat shields your units wil get shot to peices). They also can't negate ranks, which is really important for your heavy hitting units. So thats why I prefer hounds, they're expendable, fast and negate and give rank bonsuses.

If a fleeing unit flee's into the path of an enemy unit they are automaticily destroyed. So ambush in herds behind a target and charge the hell out of it.

I always choose khorne, anti-magic is a big plus, almost more than the attacks. Immune to pyche is a HUGE advantage in an army that is weak on L.d.

Shazarn
28-09-2006, 10:37
sounds good,
i think ur right about the beash herds.
Im just not that fond of hounds, dont like the models and the concept of em LOL
is there anyting like hounds that are useful??
khorne sounds like the best w/ frenzyy n all
will post a list in the list section when i get round 2 making 1 :D :D
thx

ROCKY
28-09-2006, 11:17
sounds good,
i think ur right about the beash herds.
Im just not that fond of hounds, dont like the models and the concept of em LOL
is there anyting like hounds that are useful??
khorne sounds like the best w/ frenzyy n all
will post a list in the list section when i get round 2 making 1 :D :D
thx

how about adding some chariots? cheap but effective!

(//.-)
28-09-2006, 19:06
The only problem with herds is that they can't keep up with mino's and slows them down when they meat shield for them(if you don't have meat shields your units wil get shot to peices). They also can't negate ranks, which is really important for your heavy hitting units. So thats why I prefer hounds, they're expendable, fast and negate and give rank bonsuses.

If a fleeing unit flee's into the path of an enemy unit they are automaticily destroyed. So ambush in herds behind a target and charge the hell out of it.

I always choose khorne, anti-magic is a big plus, almost more than the attacks. Immune to pyche is a HUGE advantage in an army that is weak on L.d.

While the minotaurs are immune to psych, unfortuantely, the hounds aren't :D

The best way to send a few packs of hounds running is to panic one unit, and watch the cascade.

Although the beast herds are "slower" than the Minos (only 1" IIRC) they still add alot more resilience, t4 and skirmishing make them an incredible deal, IMO.

Chariots would work well, too.

I've seen armies of khorne marked minotaurs, with four-six chariots undivided "blocking" frenzy charges, with a few herds and other nasties (furies for mages/cannons, centigor for woodsy movement, etc.) and I thought it was very neat.

Unfortunately the Minotaur models are pretty lame, and rather expensive. 20$ a pop, last I saw :(

e

Frankly
29-09-2006, 06:55
While the minotaurs are immune to psych, unfortuantely, the hounds aren't :D

The best way to send a few packs of hounds running is to panic one unit, and watch the cascade.

Yeah, but now you have a standard 6" panic radius to work with, MOU and the Generals leadership, which is 9 on the big Cow.

Like I said before, I've played a really heavy hound list and just didn't find panic that much of a problem, I'd prefer to loose hounds to panic than mino's to a fire-line anyway. Hounds negating ranks from turn 4 onwards is golden and a good enough reason to have them as a support unit for minotaurs anyway.

Herds as meatshields for Mino's will still panic, they're at T3 due to the ungors getting shot first, and -1" movement is 2" marching, -6" over 3 turns and more to the point they don't negate ranks.

So thats why I went hounds over Herds, the other reason is that I had around 90 dire wolves from my V.C. army I wanted to use in other armies and they work well as hounds.

If yu don't like hounds then don't use them, play with units you like and you'll enjoy your army more. Herds(IMO)are one of the best core troops choices in the game, and will do a fanastic job of supporting minotaurs.

ROCKY
29-09-2006, 13:23
[QUOTE=Frankly;975661]Yeah, but now you have a standard 6" panic radius to work with, MOU and the Generals leadership, which is 9 on the big Cow.

Big COW? show more respect when referring to the doombull! its a man cow!:mad:

Shazarn
30-09-2006, 00:15
i have to agree that herds are one of the best cores in the game.
I think i would go for hound smore if i used wolves and painted khornish. Hound models really put me off them.
will have list posted in army list section ASAP
ty :D

Auzu
30-09-2006, 01:12
A local player runs a 19 man block of khorne minotaurs with the mark of khorne with a BSB with the banner of the gods following closly behind.

Works quite well acually.

jansenm
30-09-2006, 02:53
i think u should wait for the new sculpts
unless u really like the current line.
it probly come out in plastic too

Frankly
30-09-2006, 05:19
I've seen Minotaurs made out of plastic ogre models, they where great. It's a very cheep way of making a monster army.

If you want to run 4 x 3 units of minotaurs, then you only need 2 boxes Orges and some green stuff.

I've also seen herds made out of zombie, ork, gobbo and beast herd parts that looked amazing! All mutated and crazy, the army was called "The son's of change" and won best army at a club tournament not long along.

I used plastic wolves from gobbo wolf rider box's for chaos hounds(mostly second hand and off Ebay).

So you can actually make a very stylized army for a very cheep prize with BoC.

TheWarSmith
30-09-2006, 05:37
ManCow, that's the biggest oxymoron I've ever heard. How dare you speak of him that way. He will HULKSMASH YOU!

I like the feel of the army, just PLEASE say it's gonna have conversions, becuase seeing 5-6 units of those old crappy minotaurs would make my eyes bleed.

You surely have to mix in other units though, as has been said.

Shazarn
30-09-2006, 06:38
i think u should wait for the new sculpts
unless u really like the current line.
it probly come out in plastic too

do you know when it will come out or waht it looks like??
chers 4 that jansenm

i plan to mix it up a bit, model wise
maybe have a mino as the champ and make others modles as minos
how the heck do ya make ogres into minotaurs??
surely green stuffing horns and faces would weird><
if ya have a pic of a converted mino, that'd be great so i can have a look see at what it looks like
cheers,

Shazarn
30-09-2006, 11:35
ok, just a breif army list i was looking at 2day
plz comment cuz u lot seem to know alot more than me :D :D

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51104

hope u enjoy

thx

eldrak
30-09-2006, 13:58
Uhh, your posts are a pain to read Shazam

I don't think light armour on minotaurs is so useful, altough i have no experience with it i bet you could save those points for other stuff.

6 minotaurs in a unit seems a bit too big. The unit will be very unwieldy or you'll have a back rank for no benefit.

Revlid
30-09-2006, 14:14
Agreed, Light Armour is only useful on Nurgle Minotaurs.

Shazarn
30-09-2006, 21:34
hmm,
good point eldrak and relid,
just game light armor to get some save rrarther than none.
thx 4 ur thoughts, ill put it in my nxt list change