PDA

View Full Version : 3000pt Blood Dragons

benf
28-09-2006, 05:34
hey guys, heres my 3000pt army thats goin up agaisnt another ogre kingdoms army.

what you guys think?

Characters
Vampire Lord: Level 3 Wizard/ Red Fury/ Obsidian Amulet/
Winged Nightmare/ Heart Piercing/ Lance 619pt

Vampire Count: Level 2 Wizard/ Red Fury/ Ring of the night/
Nightmare/ Heart Piersing/
Honour or Death 356pt

Necromancer: Level 2 Wizard/ Power Familiar 150pt

Necromancer: Level 2 Wizard/ Dispell Scroll/ 150pt
Spell Familiar

Thrall: Mount Heart Piercing/ Gem of Blood/ 148pt
Lance

Core
Dire Wolves: 10x Doom Wolf 110pt

Dire Wolves: 10x Doom Wolf 110pt

Zombie Squad: 19x 114pt

Zombie Squad: 19x 114pt

Ghouls: 13x Ghast 114pt

Special
Black Knights: 8x Standard Bearer Banner of the Barrows 285pt
Musician
Champion
Barding

Black Knights: 7x Standard Bearer Screaming Banner 255pt
Musician
Champion
Barding

Fell Bats: 6x 100pt

Sprit Host: 3x 195pt

Rare
Banshee: 2x 180pt

Total 3000

vorac
28-09-2006, 07:18
I would lose the Obsidian amulet on the lord in favor of the The ring of night and stick him on a nightmare with barding to lead the cavalry and keep them marching and place the count on the winged nightmare as a huge flanker with the wristbands of black gold to protect him from leadbelchers and that magic missile without armour saves. Also drop all the familiars and go for 3 dispel scrolls because ogre magic can be very annoying especially the one that gives stubborn and the regeneration spell, and give a necro the book of arkhan for devastating magic charges.Split the dire wolves into four units and lose the doom wolves, undead champions aren't worth it.Again divide the ghouls in two groups, ogres are expensive and have very little units so get on his berces by surrounding him.Lose the screaming banner since ogres cause fear it becomes worthless unless you think that gnoblars will actually fail fear tests and hold up a cavalry charge .Divide the fell bats into two units and i like the 2 banshees since ogres have low leadership.

i hope my advice helps you to kick some ogre butt.

Vorac Blood Dragon Lord

benf
28-09-2006, 09:18
I would lose the Obsidian amulet on the lord in favor of the The ring of night and stick him on a nightmare with barding to lead the cavalry and keep them marching and place the count on the winged nightmare as a huge flanker with the wristbands of black gold to protect him from leadbelchers and that magic missile without armour saves. Also drop all the familiars and go for 3 dispel scrolls because ogre magic can be very annoying especially the one that gives stubborn and the regeneration spell, and give a necro the book of arkhan for devastating magic charges.Split the dire wolves into four units and lose the doom wolves, undead champions aren't worth it.Again divide the ghouls in two groups, ogres are expensive and have very little units so get on his berces by surrounding him.Lose the screaming banner since ogres cause fear it becomes worthless unless you think that gnoblars will actually fail fear tests and hold up a cavalry charge .Divide the fell bats into two units and i like the 2 banshees since ogres have low leadership.

i hope my advice helps you to kick some ogre butt.

Vorac Blood Dragon Lord

Thanks for the great reply!

Yeh I forgot that I dont have a mounted wraith in this army, so screaming banner shouldnt be there.
How good are counts on winged nightmares, i have never used one before so I am not 100% sure on how effective they can be?

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
28-09-2006, 09:47
it should own most ogre units since they are low save and t4....
though i myself like to use the zombie dragon when fighting ogres... (once i killed 3 ironguts in one charge!)

vorac
28-09-2006, 10:19
if you can take a count with a lance,red fury and heartpiercing and hit a unit in the flank you should have no problem killing that one ogre on the side and no one will be able to hit you back, and since your lord is steaming forward with 2 units of black knights those ogres should be worried, just be carefull that the tyrant may have the thundermace but if he challenges your lord you should be able to take him down.

sephiroth87
29-09-2006, 01:45
Do you have to put the Lord on the Nightmare? If not, I would run the count on the Nightmare and the Lord in a squad. The last thing you want is for that Vampire Lord to be shot in the first turn in a 3000 point game. All you'll do is crumble for the next 5 turns. Put him somewhere where he won't be picked out easily.

benf
29-09-2006, 06:52
Do you have to put the Lord on the Nightmare? If not, I would run the count on the Nightmare and the Lord in a squad. The last thing you want is for that Vampire Lord to be shot in the first turn in a 3000 point game. All you'll do is crumble for the next 5 turns. Put him somewhere where he won't be picked out easily.

Yeh i have switched my count and my lord.
as for a lord on a zombie dragon? can u even buy that or would i have to convert?

vorac
29-09-2006, 09:25
what is going to shoot him he is playing an ogre army, and yes you can just buy the zacharias model and change the rider.

benf
29-09-2006, 09:35
what is going to shoot him he is playing an ogre army, and yes you can just buy the zacharias model and change the rider.

Lead belchers are pretty nasty!

Karhedron
29-09-2006, 10:21
Yeh i have switched my count and my lord.
as for a lord on a zombie dragon? can u even buy that or would i have to convert?
There was a very nice zombie dragon model available in 5th edition. Now OOP but you could probably find one on eBay since they were fairly common. It may even be available from mail order.

Zacharius comes on a Zombie dragon. All you have to do is discard the Necrarch and replace with a Blood Dragon rider instead.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110207101&orignav=13

Karhedron
29-09-2006, 12:55
My advice would be to try and get a Battle standard bearer in there. That army includes a lot of units that are quite expensive cannot benefit from Invocation. The BSB is not really worth its points saving 6 point zombies but it is very valuable if you are using to save valuable Black Knights etc.

Also it will be very handy at protecting your Ethereal units against Ogres. Ogres rarely have many combat resolution bonuses. They might get +1 for outnumbering if they are lucky but that is about it. Add in a BSB and Spirit Hosts and even Banshees can basically tie up Ogre units indefinitely until your more powerful units are free to come over and slaughter them.

benf
03-10-2006, 02:33
How would having a BSB help my knights or my hosts survive?

I havnt played the new rules yet, have BSB's changed?

Karhedron
04-10-2006, 18:41
BSBs reduce the losses that you take if you are beaten in combat. For Zombies and skeletons it is not very important because they are cheap to start with and you can always raise more.

But if you are taking expensive units like Black Knights or ethereal units then you really don't want to lose any models to combat resolution if you can possibly avoid it. You are obviously going for a fairly elite Blood Dragon horde and this is the kind of army where a Thrall with BSB can be a very good investment.

benf
04-10-2006, 23:52
BSBs reduce the losses that you take if you are beaten in combat. For Zombies and skeletons it is not very important because they are cheap to start with and you can always raise more.

But if you are taking expensive units like Black Knights or ethereal units then you really don't want to lose any models to combat resolution if you can possibly avoid it. You are obviously going for a fairly elite Blood Dragon horde and this is the kind of army where a Thrall with BSB can be a very good investment.

They only help those that are in the same unit though dont they?
So that wont help my ethereal units because they wont be with the BSB?

But yeh i can see how having it with my knights could be useful, but then I dont intend on losing combat res :) especially if i get the charge

vorac
05-10-2006, 07:07
actually the Undead BSB has the same range as a normal BSB so all your units within 12 inches would lose one less wound thats what makes it useful in an elite army and not a horde.

Karhedron
05-10-2006, 19:45
Vorac is right. The BSB has a range of 12" just like the reroll for other armies. My Blood Dragons never leave the crypt without it. :)

Ironclad
08-10-2006, 01:42
That list has so many mistakes, I can't even bother writing them all here. :mad:

Karhedron
08-10-2006, 18:54
That list has so many mistakes, I can't even bother writing them all here. :mad:
Gee well that was helpful and constructive. :rolleyes:

Seriously, what was the point of that post? If you don't like his army list then suggest a better setup. Better still, suggest something better and explain your reasoning. Coming along and bashing someone else's list achieves nothing except to generate ill will.