PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen Question, very basic theory sorta thing.

mattmanforever
28-09-2006, 20:50
Hello all!

I've yet to try to design a Fantasy army, playing in a 40K dominant area. However, I do have a fair number of Lizardmen models, and a desire to play the army eventually. I've never played a game and so I only have a theoretical understanding of the rules, so I wanted to talk to people with more expertise about the game than me (which is likely anyone).

Basically, I was wondering how feasable it'd be to play a Lizardmen army whcih was basically the gigantic hammer; very little finesse, just hard hitting, hard to kill units. It seems like the Saurus are very durable and rather fierce, a great blend of offense and defense. On top of that, their Leadership bumps due to Coldbloodedness seem they have a bit of staying power.

Is the strategy of building solid units designed to hit, hit hard, and stay (Saurus Warriors, Kroxigors, Saurus Cavalry, etc.) a valid one, eschewing more finesse type stuff like Skinks or Terradons, or do you need to balance it a bit better?

Thanks for your time guys!

Trinary
28-09-2006, 22:57
Yes, you can do it, sort of. There are monster lists out there, as well you are correct about saurus being a hard core, and characters can be kitted out nicely. However, and this is big... They are not fast (even their knights) and you will never hit as hard as cavalry from other armies, and your initiative is not great. That being said, in protracted combat you can get a 4+ or better save, have strength 4 or 5, and two attacks... If you are in a large enough block not to break when you get charged then you will win most one-on-one combats in subsequent rounds. Just don't think of it like an assault marine army, it will never work like that.

mattmanforever
28-09-2006, 23:58
Ok, so basically, I can go with my basic theory of wall'o'lizards, but I need to make some allowance for units which can react to charges and stuff - that is, I will need a few fast units.

Correct?

And thanks for the response.

fracas
29-09-2006, 00:40
yes

balance your wall of saurus with smokes of skinks
you really don't have much options for fast units otherwise
thankfully, the skinks are very good at what you want them to do
very good :)

nyahuma
29-09-2006, 13:02
Yeah I will second that. I have been playing lizzies for years and I started with a nearly all saurus army and have gradually moved to a nearly all skink army. That being said, you can make a saurus heavy list work, but you still need some skink support, for harassing, diverting, etc.. Also don't overlook salamanders and (maybe) the stegadon. Look for other threads on this topic, there is at least one excelent LM tactica tread covering all this.

Frankly
29-09-2006, 23:26
Basically, I was wondering how feasable it'd be to play a Lizardmen army whcih was basically the gigantic hammer; very little finesse, just hard hitting, hard to kill units. It seems like the Saurus are very durable and rather fierce, a great blend of offense and defense. On top of that, their Leadership bumps due to Coldbloodedness seem they have a bit of staying power.

With 12pt models it get costly to ranks them up into full units.

They need to be Protected from ranged attacks, magic attacks and from flanking.

For all their goodness in combat they won't stand up to and combined cavalry charge. And do not fare well against heavily armoured opponants

Thats the down side about taking a Saurus wall of death and thats why in tournaments especially, most LM armylists are skink heavy.

But.

Almost all the down sides of running a Saurus heavy armylist can be negated (to a certain extent) by the unit selection of "supporting troop" choices. Namely skinks, who will cover most bases to the protection of your Saurus unitl it can get into combat.

Actually this is why the L.M. armybook is one of the better armybooks out there, because most every unit is really, really good at it's job and they are cost effective units.

If your wanting to run a Saurus heavy army, then I suggest:

ALWAYS take a Battle Standard Bearer to make good use of Cold Bloodied.

Take 1 unit of skink to every unit of Saurus

Don't be affraid to run saurus units at 15 instead of 20(find ways of taking away the opponants rank bonuses to compensate i.e. Blow pipes, magic, hit and run with terradons, flanking etc, etc.).

I prefer Kroxigors over cavalry due to str7 covering saurus lack of heavy hitting power(gives you units that can effectively target Heavy cavalry).

A unit of flyers is extremely usueful in any armylist.

DirtJumper
30-09-2006, 03:24
Actually, as you can probrably find out by reading any other lizzy tactics guide out there, skinks are by far the more powerful type of army out there for the Lizardmen (and probrably even THE most powerful army in the game) It's may seem more "finesse" than a wall of Saurus, but if you get your tactics straight it is obscenely powerful. However I do not recommend using this sort of army in freindly games, as it often leads to people hitting you. ;)

callum in hat
01-10-2006, 09:17
huge blocks of saurus with a beefy oldblood, backed up by a big unit of saurus cav and loads of kroxigor( a couple units of 4 will work best):)

ardude
04-10-2006, 18:36
there are some ways to do this:

the thunder lizard:
basicly get 4 big blocks of saurus warriors (around 20) play secret hsot of quetzl ( all 3+ save in combat) get a battle standart ( a slann for LD but not if you ONLY want heavy hitting) get some kroxigors/ stegadons/ saurus caf and other stuff you like who also hit hard.
then you will have one of the strongest lines in wh :D ( T4 3+ save 2S4A LD 8/9 with 3 dice and choose the lowest with a re-roll!:skull: )

the serpent hammer:
take kroxigors, saurus caf, stegadons, terradons a lord on a carnosauer, some skinks and every thing else that has atleast M6.

deploy it like this
S = skink ( some skinks scout), H= hammer unit ( everythign else)

--------SSSSSSSSSS-----------------SSSSSS

-----------------SSSSSSSSSS

-------------------------SSSSSSSSSSS HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
------------------------------------------HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

every thing will hammer trough 1 flank, will the hidden skinks make it imposasble for the enemy to flank.

the thunder hammer.

pritty much the same as above, but no skinks but 2 blocks of saurusses who guard the center, get all fast units over 1 flank, and use skinks/salamanders to keep the flank free of fast caf etc

there are alot of other taktics I know but I'm not going to bore you with those as these are probably the most important ( and easy) taktics.

goodluck!

ps. watch the gamesworkshop site and look at lizarmden taktics, you'll get a nice explanation what every unit is good for