PDA

View Full Version : Lizzies need advice in fixed list tourney

GrandReaper
02-10-2006, 01:32
Hey all. I'm currently embroiled in a fixed list round-robin style tournament at my local shop and have a couple of tactical musings that need debugging. My lizardmen are 2-0 with 2 massacres against ballanced opponents, but that means I'll be facing the "extremely optimized" lists in the coming weeks. First I'll show my army list, then the two lists I've been theorizing about and my plans. I'll use separate posts so please be patient.

My Army: The Legion of Quetzl-Kai-Loq
4th Generation Slann, BSB, Plaque Tepok, Plaque Prot, Diadem, Warbanner
Scar-vet, Jaguar charm, Great Weapon, Mark of Sotek, Tepok
Skink Priest, level 2, Dispel Scroll
12 Saurus w/ Stand, Mus, Mark of Quetzl
15 Saurus w/ Full Command
10 Skinks w/ Jav, Shld
10 Skink Scouts w/ Blowpipes
5 Cold One Riders w/ Stand, Mus, Banner of Huanchi
3 Kroxigor
3 Terradon
2 Sallamanders

I basically use the Slann in the 12 Saurus unit, flanked (touching) by the 15 Saurus and the Kroxigor as an unbreakable center. Any threatening unit like heavy cav is too wide to charge just the Slanns unit and must charge at least two units. I pass the break tests and whittle them down. Meanwhile the Cold Ones abuse the Huanchi totem to catch a flank/mage and the Terradons/Sallys/Skinks do their stuff where needed. My priest never gets usable spells and thus the Slann "steals" them with the Diadem to power defence/future magic phases.

GrandReaper
02-10-2006, 01:45
The first obstacle I have is a High Elf army with Archmage, 3 mages, 4 Bolt Throwers, an infantry unit (not sure which) and a unit of silverhealms with the banner of Sorcery. Ugh. He might have a Chariot too.

My thoughts: I'm toying with the idea of leaving my slann out of a unit and trying to entice a charge from the Silver Helms (with Archmage). I should only lose one wound at most (challenge) and be outnumbered with opposing standard, while I have standard and Warbanner - losing by a single point with Ld 9 cold-blooded with a re-roll is not too worrysome, especially if it gets my Krox a flank charge, or even the Scar vet). My only fear would be if I have his list wrong and he has a BSB with the Battle Banner, then scrap this.

I think I have no choice but to march forward, try and draw the bulk of the fire to my Saurus (or Slann if I'm REALLY lucky). I'll probably have to expose as many units as possible that can threaten his bolt-throwers in the same turn for any to survive, including the skinks, sallys and terradons (and maybe COR too). My other option is to try and use Huanchi to get the COR into the Silver Helms to try and drop the Archmage and overrun into the Bolt throwers.

I'm not TOO worried about the magic as the player usually tries to go after my Slann with Fortune is Fickle and Drain Magic (fine by me, as this should use up 6-8 casting dice and with my Diadem I can have 8 Dispels for the rest of his spells). The obvious fear for me is an irrisistable Pit of Shades, but there's nothing I can do about that (although its another good reason to keep my Slann out of a unit).

Now for scary list two.

GrandReaper
02-10-2006, 01:53
Scary list two is a Chaos Dwarf army with 10 power dice, 4 Bolt Throwers, 2 Earthshaker cannons, a unit of wolf riders, a core of three CD units w/ BSB and some "naked" hobgoblin units for charge absorbing and flanking.

The problems here are obvious. One is the dreaded Pit of Shades again (man, Slann popper or what!?). I'm not too worried about the other spells as my units are either tough or cheep and I have decent dispelling ability. I think I need to focus on protecting my Terradons as otherwise the Earthshakers will ensure I make combat sometime the next day. However, even without the artillery I'm facing a horde army with Ld10 from the General and my army is small before shooting losses. I think I could survive being flanked by Hobgoblins if enough of my Saurus are still alive thanks to my superior fighting ability and LD/BSB, but I'll have trouble dragging the CR out of the Dwarves. Once again I think Huanchi-Abuse is my best weapon.

I've never faced CD before so I'm sort of at a loss. I've never really faced a horde army before (well, night gobbo's, but my Slann had half them panicked turn 1), especially with high leadership and devestating artillery. Help?

ardude
04-10-2006, 18:42
Hey all. I'm currently embroiled in a fixed list round-robin style tournament at my local shop and have a couple of tactical musings that need debugging. My lizardmen are 2-0 with 2 massacres against ballanced opponents, but that means I'll be facing the "extremely optimized" lists in the coming weeks. First I'll show my army list, then the two lists I've been theorizing about and my plans. I'll use separate posts so please be patient.

My Army: The Legion of Quetzl-Kai-Loq
4th Generation Slann, BSB, Plaque Tepok, Plaque Prot, Diadem, Warbanner
Scar-vet, Jaguar charm, Great Weapon, Mark of Sotek, Tepok
Skink Priest, level 2, Dispel Scroll
12 Saurus w/ Stand, Mus, Mark of Quetzl

12 is to small. for saurusses the minumum unit size is 15, but with a slann I would make them atleast 20! ( and give them the spawning of tlazcotl vs outnumbering fear cousing enemys) cous when you lose your slann you almost alwais lose the game

15 Saurus w/ Full Command

again pritty small

10 Skinks w/ Jav, Shld
10 Skink Scouts w/ Blowpipes

good

5 Cold One Riders w/ Stand, Mus, Banner of Huanchi
3 Kroxigor

don't get a mus just a waste of points

3 Terradon
2 Sallamanders

good.

( are you sure this is 2000 pts??? my army with a second gen slann even looks alot bigger....., try spending less on cool marks and magic items and get more saurusses, and a unit or 2 skinks extra is also alwais nice)

I basically use the Slann in the 12 Saurus unit, flanked (touching) by the 15 Saurus and the Kroxigor as an unbreakable center. Any threatening unit like heavy cav is too wide to charge just the Slanns unit and must charge at least two units. I pass the break tests and whittle them down. Meanwhile the Cold Ones abuse the Huanchi totem to catch a flank/mage and the Terradons/Sallys/Skinks do their stuff where needed. My priest never gets usable spells and thus the Slann "steals" them with the Diadem to power defence/future magic phases.