PDA

View Full Version : Considering Starship Troopers.

kortholaxthedamned
02-10-2006, 16:41
Hi all. I've been collecting Gw games for near 9 years, and, though i still collect, i was thinking of moving on to other games. i went to Attack in Devizes with 2 friends and had a game of Starship Troopers as the mobile infantry, and i really enjoyed it. i don't think it would be a 'serious' hobby, with huge amounts of converting, painting etc, but more a fun one, as i found the rules fast paced and simple in my game.

Gimme ya thoughts? should i invest in an army?

Voracioustigger
02-10-2006, 19:59
You sound a lot like I did before I started SST. I had played 40k for 9 years and never EVER wanted to pick up another wargame, but eventually I became tired of the imbalances of 40k and the you go, I go nature of the game.

Then I found SST, which fixed basically all of the gripes I had with 40k. It's faster paced, keeps both players involved at all times, and the rules just make a lot more sense.

I definitely recommend getting into SST, but I'll leave it up to you when you choose to do so. In April (quite a long way away), SST is getting a big update to streamline the game even more, and all of the models will begin being released in pre-painted sets. So, if you really liked the game and don't mind painting, I recommend getting in now. You'll have a unique looking army and you'll have a head start on everyone who just buys the pre-painted models (as the pre-paints of the current models will only slowly trickle out over then next year after the April release). But if you really don't want to invest any time in the hobby, then you could just wait for the April release.

If you have any more questions about SST or SST: Evolution just ask and I'd be happy to answer whatever I'm at liberty to talk about.

erion
02-10-2006, 23:56
RUN away as fast as you can.

Mongoose has ruined a potentially lucrative property with sub-par models, rules with holes you could fly a Death Star through, and release dates that slide like they're on a greased pig.

tabletopnews
03-10-2006, 03:42
Well regardless of one's opinion of the current figs they are planning on coming out with pre-painted plastic minis next year so if I were you'd I'd wait until then to enter the game

nanite
03-10-2006, 04:17
This may be the time to buy if you like the minis.

There are some online retailers already clearancing the boxed set, and I think there are more then a few collections getting dumped on e-bay

The current line is leaving retail AFAIK, and going to direct-sale only from Mongoose.

Wheather distributors start dumping stock, remains to be seen.

There are some great minis in the line, like the MI EXO-suits, and the Burrower bugs. I would avoid the multipart plastics though.

Drogmir
03-10-2006, 04:48
It was an interesting idea but thier marketing is almost nada

starlight
03-10-2006, 05:34
While I don't have any direct experience, what I've heard doesn't support erion either.:eyebrows:

Clarity?

As with any models - the eye of the beholder is key - I like some SST models - not so others. Just like GW's line.

Rules - no experience there, but the majority that I've spoken with seem happy - somewhat more than with GW.

I've followed the releases and there don't seem to be any unreasonable shifts - especially not after seeing GW from the inside - there's a very good reason for that 6 month rumour window!:D

So, more details please.

Lyquis
03-10-2006, 08:56
I hear a lot of good things and very few bad. I have been thinking about it as well as 40k holds no real interest for me any more. Most of the minis have yet to "wow" me, but neither do most of GW's either. I think I will wait until the prepainted mins hit the shelves.

General Veers
03-10-2006, 14:43
Over the weekend my FLGS held a Grand Opening for their new location. They have these great game tables and people were in there playing and buying like crazy. I showed up to play some Flames of War. The game tables are somewhat close to each other, running across the small store. There were two groups (4 players each) playing across from each other, with different games.

Now, my point:

One side was playing 40K. The other side was playing Starship Troopers.

When the 40K side started playing, there was, before the first turn, a "rules dispute".

I noticed the SST side started playing their game.

Later I looked up and saw that the 40K side was having more "rules disputes"

The SST side was playing their game.

I really, really wish I had brought a video camera to record this. The difference is stark.

And if SST has
rules with holes you could fly a Death Star throughI'll take that over a game where the alternative is so bad to make that hole look good. Meaning I'd much rather play a game than constantly figure out what the the designers meant. :rolleyes:

Pokpoko
03-10-2006, 20:17
yep, have to agree-there are some badly worded rules in the SST, but GW also isn't noted for it's great ruleswriting. and the simplicty of the rules more than make up for the rare dispute-a full 4k game with 4 players took about 2h from start to end.

rivers3162
03-10-2006, 22:45
When I first heard about the SST game, I really liked the idea and thought it would make for a good, quick to play, cheap to buy game.

However when it came out I was really disappointed with the models. The bugs looked really nice but to my horror and sadness the MI had been based on the (imho stupid looking) cartoons rather than the films. I think there is a box of troopers based on the films but it is only one squad. So I never bothered with SST

beardstache
04-10-2006, 02:36
I think there is a box of troopers based on the films but it is only one squad.
20 troopers is not one squad. I seriously suggest you reconsider.

rivers3162
04-10-2006, 08:38
20 troopers is not one squad. I seriously suggest you reconsider.

Hmmm. I might buy the light MI squad and paint them up then see how I feel. I'm strangely picky when it comes to figures, I like everything to be uniformed the same. I have to admit I had another look at some of the cap troopers and they are starting to grow on me a little bit...

bert n ernie
04-10-2006, 11:09
I'm considering playing SST too.
I'm not sure if I'd buy any of the MI, as unlike Gamesworskop, if I play a tournament with non-SST models I'm not goign to get in troule. I may just use my guard at first.
The point about 40k rules disputes is very true. I've often seen one gamer 'pull' a rule on another gamer. Yes, everyone shoudl try and know the rules, but there are some gamers out there, who when playing remember certain little known rules, and use them totally to their advantade, to win in a way I think can be unfair. I've watched a few games of SST, and it seemed there were few enough rules for that not to happen.

General Veers
04-10-2006, 22:18
...I've watched a few games of SST, and it seemed there were few enough rules for that not to happen.

Know your foe! :D
With SST learn weapons stats and special traits, etc.

It's harder to pull rules abuse on players in SST but the weapons options and special traits are where the suprises come from. That an learning the tactical options during game play. It's so much fun to herd humans in to a bug trap with tunnel markers. :evilgrin:

Venerable_Bede
05-10-2006, 01:20
The story about 40k rules disputes proves nothing. You don't know whether it was the players or a lack of familiarity with the 40k rules that lead to the disputes.

Anyway, SST rules are quite good. The problem is trying to find players.

The game is afoot
05-10-2006, 08:04
RUN away as fast as you can.

Mongoose has ruined a potentially lucrative property with sub-par models, rules with holes you could fly a Death Star through, and release dates that slide like they're on a greased pig.

<---deleted by WarSeer Inquisition---->
Nothing to see here.
Mongoose are doing just fine.
The game plays well and it's still selling so enjoy it if you want to play.

I kept an eye on it because I wanted to see where Andy Chambers would go and what he would get up to post GW severance....

Murderous Monkey
05-10-2006, 09:40
I bought the box set early this year and was impressed by the rules. I liked the look of the reaction system and the different strategies within the game. I would dearly love to play SST as a game. I never got round to playing the game though. The MI models were a nightmare and I got distracted... then I ended up buying some Confrontation models and painting them instead.

Just because I found the models a pain in the butt shouldn't put you off though, I'm reliably told those MI are the worst models available so it may not be as bad as it seems... but they did put me off. Sad really, as the actual game looked excellent. It's still sitting in my room waiting for its chance to re-emerge and if you can get over some of models (or like them) then I'd advise giving it a go - despite having never played myself!

You might like to investigate other games too before buying though, as there seem so many decent games on the market. I enjoy Confrontation but it is a skirmish game and doesn't have the same 'epic' feel you can get with a REAL wargame.

Whatever you choose, enjoy.

Ghost Dancer
05-10-2006, 10:40
What about converting the SST rules to play 40k? Would this be feasible?
IIRC there was some talk of this when the rules first appeared.
I am keen on this idea, as I could just buy the SST hardback rulebook and do away with GW's sluggish rules.
Thoughts?

erion
05-10-2006, 12:39
erion is connected to TAG, The Assault Group, and they are renowned in the Industry for their love to slag off their opposition gaming/miniature companies at any opportunity.
I think it's just a little worthless inside the industry potty mouth.
Nothing to see here.
Mongoose are doing just fine.
The game plays well and it's still selling so enjoy it if you want to play.

I kept an eye on it because I wanted to see where Andy Chambers would go and what he would get up to post GW severance....

I have no idea who this TAG is or what you're talking about. I was very keen on starship troopers when it first came out, bought a ton of stuff, and soured on Mongoose's inability to hit their release schedule, the generally poor quality of the models they did release (though to be fair, a very few models, notably the large bugs and the MI Exosuits are quite nice) and their proclivity to errata rules in favor of their most vocal supporters (read: Fanboys).

Thanks for the nice personal attack, though.

If in referencing 'TAG' you're talking about my affiliation with Reaper's Black Lightning demo program, then please explain to me:

1) why I constantly Rant about Reaper's own inability to hit their own release schedules almost constantly on their company message board.
2) My professed interest in, and praise for, games like Urban War, Warmachine and Hordes, Flames of War, Wargods, Confrontation and AT-43 right here on Warseer. Yes Sir,I sure do love to slag on the competition. :rolleyes:

I simply call 'em as I see 'em, and SST is currently a stinker. So much so that Mongoose stopped producing the current incarnation of the game to try to re-animate it in a form more palatable to thier target audience. I'll likely give it a 2nd look when (if) it releases again next year, but pulling the plug on a game less than 18 months after it's released to re-invent it ought to be enough indication that there's something wrong.

Voracioustigger
05-10-2006, 13:31
I simply call 'em as I see 'em, and SST is currently a stinker. So much so that Mongoose stopped producing the current incarnation of the game to try to re-animate it in a form more palatable to thier target audience. I'll likely give it a 2nd look when (if) it releases again next year, but pulling the plug on a game less than 18 months after it's released to re-invent it ought to be enough indication that there's something wrong.

That's a bit extreme. Being someone who has a lot of inside knowledge and has been following the game since LONG before its release, I can tell you that they didn't "pull the plug" on the game. It really came down to the fact that their original product didn't have the appeal they had hoped for and without any changes, SST would soon become so unprofitable that they'd have no choice but to drop it. So, which type of mini's company do you prefer?

1) One that completely drops the game as soon as it becomes unprofitable.
2) One that runs itself into the ground with an unprofitable game because they're supposed to (apparently in your opinion) keep making it even if they have to sell their kidneys to keep the game going, which will eventually have the same result as dropping the game
3) Redesign the game (At GREAT cost to themselves) because they believe that it is a superior game, and that it just hasn't caught on as well as they had hoped the first time around

I would always choose option 3, and I think most gamers would as well. The target audience was PURE wargamers (at least IMHO, but of course, some SST fans are here as well), but they made unpainted models and still had a hefty rulebook like other wargames. PURE wargamers want to be able to buy the game and just PLAY, so Mongoose has trimmed down the SST rules to a 5 page rulesheet and every pre-painted boxed set comes with all the rules you need for the units you buy. In April, when you buy SST: Evo, you'll be able to buy a box or two of models, open them up, learn the rules, and play your first game with your friend in under an hour or two. Seems like they're doing a great job correcting their problem to me.

(Also, knowing the rules, they are quite solid. Pretty much ALL of the current SST rules are in those 5 pages with even a few additions to make the game more exciting. There will also be a rulebook to follow with more advanced rules and scenarios for the current players of the game)

I can't say I'm not a SST fanboy because I am, but it's only because it's a great game, and I know first hand that mongoose has decided to put everything behind this game.

Captain Brown
05-10-2006, 16:55
Gentlemen,

Calm down or I will start issuing warnings. You are entitled to your own opinions, but avoid getting personal. I removed one comment from a user's post, but since the recipient chose to quote it and reply I will make no further deletions.

Captain Brown
WarSeer Inquisition

erion
05-10-2006, 16:56
Sorry.

"we're not going to release anything new for the game for eight months"

Plus

"The rules you have now are no good, we'll give you extremely simple ones in eight months."

Equals

Pulling the plug.

rivers3162
06-10-2006, 00:43
Ok, after participating in this thread I went out and bought a box of cap troopers and started assembling them tonight. I have to admit, I am converted. The models are actually quite nice and have grown on me a HELL of a lot since I first saw them. The only thing I didnt like so much was that a lot of the parts are really fiddly and theres no actual assembly instructions in the box which isnt that helpful....

Brandir
07-10-2006, 13:51
Mongoose decided to revamp the game as they see the competition and have decided there is far more money to be made in the pre-painted market.

Rackham will be bringing out a pre-painted sci-fi skirmish game this xmas and the success enjoyed by WotC with their pre-painted DDM, SWM & AAM clearly shows that the growth market is the pre-painted market.

The first edition of the SST rules were extremely robust for a first edition. And the miniatures like most other manufacturers: some good and some bad. The release schedule was perfectly adequate and in my opinion acceptable and in line with industry standards.

Some GW fanboys will slag off any non Warhammer/WH40K game because they can. Equally SST fanboys will slag off all non-Mongoose games. And Privateer Press fanboys slag off all GW games. The nature of the internet means that event he most meek in real life fanboys can act the 'big man' and pretend to be whoever they want with oodles of insider news.

I just slag off fanboys who slag off games outside their little worlds.:)

The reason I don't collect/play SST is that I really don't have the time to paint up minis for another game.

I will certainly buy the pre-painted stuff when it is released. What makes it better than the other pre-painted games is the fact boxes will not be random.

Anyway, my advice to you kortholaxthedamned is to wait until the pre-painted model are released but in the meantime keep a look out for some great bargains for the present releases.

And make up your own mind rather than rely upon the idiots that fill up Warseer and other forums. Except me of course, as I am the only independent poster on any wargaming forum. You can believe everything I post with 100% confidence. :rolleyes: