PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Army (2000 points)

Black Behemoth
02-10-2006, 18:58
I'm new to WFB, and to Empire, but I have read a lot about them. Could I have some constructive criticism about this list?

Lords
1 Elector Count w/ Full Plate Armor, Helm of the Skaven Slayer, Holy Relic, Great Weapon (163) (joining first Swordsmen squad)

Heroes
1 Captain w/ Battle Standard, Full Plate Armor, Shield (85) (joining second Swordsmen squad)

1 Battle Wizard w/ 2 Dispel Scrolls (110)

Cores
24 Swordsmen w/ Standard Bearer, Musician, Griffon Standard (233)
Det: 8 Halberdiers (48)
Det: 6 Archers (48)

24 Swordsmen w/ Standard Bearer, Musician (183)
Det: 8 Halberdiers (48)
Det: 6 Archers (48)

10 Handgunners w/ Marksman w/ Hochland Long Rifle (105)

10 Handgunners w/ Marksman w/ Hochland Long Rifle (105)

6 Knights w/ Inner Circle, Full Command (196)

6 Knights w/ Full Command (178)

Specials
1 Great Cannon (100)

1 Mortar (75)

Rare
1 Steam Tank w/ Steam Gun (275)

1 Helblaster (125)

2003 points

I'll deploy with the Steam Tank inbetween the two Swordsmen squads, which are joined by my characters. A squad of knights will be on the outer ends of the Swordsmen. The Handgunners will be on a hill with the artillery. The Helblaster's place is unsure as of now. The Archer detachments will be used as screeners.

10th clancannach rangers
02-10-2006, 20:02
I don't really know too much about empire but if I were you I would take the hand gunners as detachments with only 8 in each use the spare points to upgrade one unit of archers to huntsmen and swap the other unit for 10 crossbowmen (this will be good as you only get half bows half crossbows in militia box). This will allow good stand and shoot reactions for the swordsmen, allow march blockswith the huntsmen and have descent shooting troops on any hill with a long enough range to cover alot of the battlefield.

Also I am not sure about the steam tank as I have heard it is changing quite significantly when the army book is redone in a few months-maybe you should take 2 more cannon and another mortar instead.

DirtJumper
02-10-2006, 20:09
...But that would give him 5 specials... I also don't think you can have 2 units of Inner circle Knights. Cut the Detatchments down to about 6 or 7 models each to save some points as well, and consider giving the Marksmen one of the special guns (such as the Hochland or the repeater gun)

samw
02-10-2006, 20:11
Not a bad start at all to be honest. You do know however that there'll be a new book in the new year so you'll have to re-assess everything then?

Anyway, you can't use a shield and a Great Weapon together. I'd make the captain a Battle Standard Bearer and give him the armour of meteoric iron, and a sword of might if you wanted the punch. Drop the enchanted shield from the count as you'll want to be using the great weapon. Give him helm of the skaven slayer if a 4+ armour seems not enough for you, it's very nifty in the new rules against the ratmen.

Also, you can't have two units of inner circle knights unless one is white-wolves.

Otherwise, seems a pretty strong list.

Black Behemoth
02-10-2006, 20:16
I don't really like the special weapons beyond having a Repeater Pistol in a Pistoliers squad, as I could have 2 more Handgunners for the same price. And I'll take out the second Inner Circle. But what should I use in the points I have left over?

Wouldn't I get the +1 for having the shield itself? I may not get the parrying bonus, which would give a +2, but all I need is the +1. Or does it because the Great Weapon is two-handed?

samw
02-10-2006, 20:22
Wouldn't I get the +1 for having the shield itself? I may not get the parrying bonus, which would give a +2, but all I need is the +1.

Nope, you need two hands to wield a great weapon, so you've got nothing to hold a shield with.

I really would recommend a BSB.

Lyquis
02-10-2006, 23:09
I like to give my Elector the same gear exept that I give him the Sword of Sigismund instead of the gw.

You may only have one unit of Inner Cirle Knights.

Hocklands on your marksmen allow you to shoot wizards and unit champs.:)

Black Behemoth
02-10-2006, 23:57
Are magic weapons really worth all of the points you pay for them though? I mean a Sword of Power does the same as a Great Weapon for five times the price, and a Runefang is worth more than the Count himself. Wouldn't it be points better used for more infantry?

BTW, I updated list to have the Hochlands, no second Inner Circle, and added a Battle Standard.

BTW, I have no magic at all, so should I try and fit in a Wizard with a Rod of Power? I like the lores of Metal and Shadow and would love to use one of them.

Lyquis
03-10-2006, 00:54
Are magic weapons really worth all of the points you pay for them though? I mean a Sword of Power does the same as a Great Weapon for five times the price, and a Runefang is worth more than the Count himself. Wouldn't it be points better used for more infantry?

They can be. It all depends on how you use them. I take the sword of sigismund so I can strike first. This increases the survivability of my Elector and lessens the impact of enemy attacks. It does not always work, but some times it works like a dream.

Black Behemoth
04-10-2006, 00:50
Since the rules for the Steam Tank are being nerfed, I'm unsure if I should buy such an expensive model just to put it on a shelf after. Is there anything good that would be a good replacement(s) to the Steam Tank, or should I just keep it?