PDA

View Full Version : Ogres 2000 points

DirtJumper
02-10-2006, 19:57
Lords+Heroes:
Tyrant w/ Seigebreaker, Spangleshard, Wyrdstone Necklace, Heavy Armor, Luck Gnoblar, 2 Tooth Gnoblars... 301 points

Butcher w/ Bangstick, Dispell Scroll... 180 points

Butcher w/ Halfling Cookbook, Power Stone... 180 points

Core:
3 Bulls w/ LA, Ironfists, Bellower... 139 points

3 Bulls w/ LA, Ironfists, Bellower... 139 points

3 Bulls w/ Bellower... 115 points

3 Bulls w/ Bellower... 115 points

3 Ironguts w/ Bellower... 156 points

3 Ironguts w/ Bellower... 156 points

25 Gnoblars w/ Groinbiter... 52 points

25 Gnoblars w/ Groinbiter... 52 points

8 Trappers w/ Snarefinger... 46 points

Special:
3 Leadbelchers... 165 points

3 Leadbelchers... 165 points

total: 1961 points

Not too sure what to do with the other 40 pts, the basic idea was to make a list out of 2 Batallion Boxes of Ogres. Thoughts?

Wolf_Pack
03-10-2006, 00:00
I'd run with units of 4-5 ironguts. this maximises the number of attacks and impact hits they get on the charge, and make them more viable against shooting.

Bellowers for the belchers. They'll have to flee from charges, and they'll need to rally beyond that.

Tyrants get sword gnoblars.

druchii
03-10-2006, 01:01
I'm not immedietly a fan of sword gnoblars.
S2? Ew. I think the points are better spent elsewhere.

I too thought about trying to make a viable list out of two ogre batallions, and I like your thoughts.

Initially, I've always tried to stick with the idea that four 40mm based models will get the maximum number of attacks against a standard rank and file unit. Knowing this, all my units are built to be four models wide.

I rarely see the wisdom in building your units with the idea of "if casualties happen.." in mind. Force your opponent to pick and choose amongst your multitude of units. Don't let him focus in on your five man strong Irongut unit.

I'd also ditch those extra five gnoblars on each of the fighters regiments.
I doubt you'll see gnoblars do anything except die and run away, and I'd rather you lose as few points as possible when this happens.

I never plan on letting my gnoblars get into combat if I can't help it. They're there to act as speedbumps(forcing the opponent to redirect in a poor direction) and screens. With the base units of 20 gnoblars costing only 40 points, you won't be wasting points and models when they flee forever.

have you thought about putting the leadbelchers into three units of 2? I think It'll give you a bit more versatility when it comes to shooting at things. Not only that, but it serves twofold beyond: You have more units to bait and flee with and it forces your opponents to split their fire between three units instead of two.

Have you thought about the skullmantle for your butcher? If not I would. Forcing units to take a panic test with braingobbla on a -1 ld can be mean. Especially because it also works in close combat if the butcher is involved.

Good luck man, and welcome!

d

Lyquis
03-10-2006, 01:04
I really think four man units are the way to go. They maximize the amount of models in combat and the extra attacks will of course help you win combat.

Dragonknight31
03-10-2006, 12:45
I have been successful in my current Bretonian league with this list

Tyrant
Slaughtermaster
Hunter - 2 Cats can move through terrain -1 to hit in CC

6 Bulls, Std, Champ, Iron Fists
6 Bulls, Std, Champ, Iron Fists
4 Ironguts, Std, Champ
10 Gnoblar Trappers
30 Gnoblars
2 Leadbelchers
2 Leadbelchers
Slavegiant

When I get support banners I through in another 4 Ironguts, other wise they are in my core and minus the giant.

DirtJumper
03-10-2006, 19:16
Thanks for the input. I comletely forgot about the 'mantle when I was writing the list... it really should be in there. I see your point on the Sord Gnoblars. Originalyl I still think they have potetial, but really they are just 5 point Gnoblars. I'm still unsure how i'm going to be running the Belchers, because I've heard good arguments for both sides. I think I will keep them 3 strong, because they can take a casualty and still be more than US5, and they can Bull Charge that way.

Lords+Heroes:
Tyrant w/ Tenderiser, Spangleshard, Heavy Armor, Luck Gnoblar... 291 points

Butcher w/Power Stone, Skull Mantle... 180 points

Butcher w/ Bangstick, Dispell Scroll... 180 points

Core:
3 Bulls w/ LA, Ironfists... 129 points

3 Bulls w/ LA, Ironfists... 129 points

3 Bulls... 105 points

3 Bulls...105 points

4 Ironguts w/ Bellower... 202 points

4 Ironguts w/ Bellower... 202 points

20 Gnoblars... 40 points

20 Gnoblars... 40 points

8 Trappers... 48 points

Special:
3 Leadbelchers w/ Bellower... 175 points

3 Leadbelchers w/ Bellower... 175 points

total: 2001 points

Any Better? (and note, if you get a bit creative with the 2 extra Leadbelcher bodies, all you have to buy to make this list is 2 Batallion boxes and a Tyrant!)

druchii
04-10-2006, 05:16
I like the list alot more now.

It still isn't my "ideal" list (I still prefer units of 4 40mm bases) but I think it's a better step in the right direction.

I'd still caution against the siegebreaker.

I see your tyrant as a very expensive way to get basic CR. So I always throw mine at the biggest, baddest character/monster/unit in the opposing army.

Most of the opposing enemy heroes will have a better I value than your Ws of 6. So you're still hitting on 4s, and even with S8(as opposed to 7) you'll still be wounding on 2s.

Although with the tenderiser, you've suddenly become a machine at racking up CR against large targets (other 40mm monsters, 50mm monsters, and heroes). Imagine the basic combat res you'd get out of a single challenge? If you hit with half your attacks, and would with the majority (call it 2) you're still looking at anywhere between 2-6 wounds. EEK.

I'd advise you to try it out both ways, and I bet you'll find the tenderiser works wonders.
As to the leadbelchers, I'm still on the fence, too. I'm wary of running two small units of ogres, but with two models I think I'll be less concerned when/if they get rundown and after blowing their load(heh-heh) they can double as a bait and flee unit.

Tell me how it goes?
d

ps. to throw in another monkey wrench; have you thought about yhetees? If not, I urge you to do so. Their ability to treat the majority of difficult terrain as open terrain can come as quite a big surprise to your opponent.

They can also act as a HUGE "danger" zone to your opponent. If they happen to know about the move-over-terrian rule, they'll be wary of coming within range of the 14" charge monsters. Most people won't come near something that can potentially charge them(which they can't charge back!) and dish out 12 s5 attacks.

DirtJumper
04-10-2006, 21:05
Yhetees are good, there's no doubt, but the are a tad bit expensive ($) and very ***** models. I'l give the Tenderiser a go, after reading the desciption again I realised that it's a Great Weapon (as opposed to just a d3 wound weapon, which I originally thought it was.)

druchii
06-10-2006, 19:24
Yhetees are good, there's no doubt, but the are a tad bit expensive ($) and very ***** models. I'l give the Tenderiser a go, after reading the desciption again I realised that it's a Great Weapon (as opposed to just a d3 wound weapon, which I originally thought it was.)

If you hate the yhetee models (I personally think they look great painted!) you could always get some of the Wulfen models from the French company, Rackham(Confrontation!). Alot of their werewolf models look incredible, especially the more feral and evil sculpts.

d

Ironclad
08-10-2006, 10:08
To: DirtJumper
You cannot take two Enchanted Items!:mad: (Spangleshard and Wyrdstone Necklace). Just like you cannot take two Magic Weapons or Arcane Items.
Ironguts with Bellowers are 154pts not 156pts.
Trappers + Snarefinger is 52pts not 46pts.

Overall you have alot of mistakes but it is still good.

Grade: B-

DirtJumper
08-10-2006, 15:19
You're right. With the Ironguts it doesen't really matter (as the unit sizes have been revised in the second list), but I will have to change the rest.

Edit-List changed now, changed the points value of the Trappers and up-dated the Tyrant.