PDA

View Full Version : Considering Confrontation

shartmatau
03-10-2006, 03:43
Hey. I really love a lot of the Confrontation models but I have no idea how the game plays or anything about it. I was hoping someone could shed a little light on the situation.

First off, what would be a basic army? Meaning how many models are needed for the very basic game?

Feel free to add anything about the game that you really enjoy, besides the awesome models. Thanks.

Lyquis
03-10-2006, 09:00
You can play with just one model easily. So you can just by a couple of figs you like and play. The power level seems a little weird, but I don't really have that much practice with the game.

Luke
03-10-2006, 09:43
I too am just getting onto confrontation but I have not yet played the game and only read through the quickstart rulebook which is, to be fair, a mess.

SHouldnt be too long before my first game though.

Looks interesting from what I can see, quite in depth, moreso than anything by GW.....except =][= I suppose.

tabletopnews
03-10-2006, 15:57
The basic game is 400pts and the tournament rules require that you have a Character worth at least 80pts in that force. Obviously you don't need this for friendly games but we tend to use the tournament rules (as published in the book) for our friendly games.

At 400 points the most minis you can have is 20. So there is an upper limit set to how big a game can get.

The number of troops you need can vary quite dramatically depending on what faction you are playing. The Goblin army can easily have 20 minis in a battle. My Griffin army usually has 12 - 15 minis. I have though seen Wolfen or Devourer armies with 8 minis.

As mentioned though you can start to play with a smaller number of points and minis. There are starter sets that have three Wolfen and 5 or 6 Dirz minis in them and those are actually a nice starting point for the game

shartmatau
03-10-2006, 17:12
Thanks. I'll look into the starter sets. Now the big choice...which army do I want? No matter how they play my choice will have to be based on the models, time to take another looksy at them.

Cheers

Spacemunkie
08-10-2006, 15:27
Great models, lumpy and leaden rules/gameplay for me.

erion
08-10-2006, 16:47
Picking the models based on visuals it what got me into confrontation. Now I'm up to four.

Basic games play anywhere from 150 - 400 points, and that can be anywhere from 1-4 models at the low end games to close to 2 dozen at the high end, depdning upon your army and model choices. Remarkably, almost all of our confrontation games come down to just a few models on the table, no matter what either side had chosen to field.

Tymell
09-10-2006, 18:52
Greetings all. I'm not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I too am looking into Confrontation and thought this might be better than starting an entirely new thread. The minis look nice, but can anyone point me in the direction of some material, either online or in books, that might tell me some more about the races/background and the rules of the game? That would be much appreciated. :)

(Oh and when I say point me in the direction of, that means can anyone mention where I might get such things if I have to go out myself? Haven't seen any "Rackham" shops like there are GWs).

erion
09-10-2006, 22:21
There is a great background book included in the RagNarok box.

tabletopnews
09-10-2006, 23:25
The Dogs of War expansion has some as well but not as much as is in the background book in Ragnorak. But who is going to spend that kind of money to get a single book?

Cherrystone
10-10-2006, 11:13
Theres a background book coming out soon, its just been released in french. Dont know if this is just the book from Ragnarok though or something different.

Keravin
10-10-2006, 11:32
The background book that's not Cadwallon is just the Ragnarok book so if you have that then no need to buy again.

angora
10-10-2006, 23:46
Hi,

I've been playing Confrontation for a few months now and love it. The main rulebook is a lot better than the quickstart one but it still has a few translation issues - nothing you can't work through.
For background I'd check out the forums on Racks English site or www.metalforge.com.au where you'll find folk happy to help.
Just FYI Rackham have just released an update of the rules (to version 3.5) with a few tweaks to make ranged fire and spellcasters more powerful and valid choices.
Fluff is a little light on in most sources but I think their magazine "Cry Havoc" which is like an amped up WD is one of the best.

Cheers

The Song of Spears
24-10-2006, 22:07
I do hope it picks up here, i just love the models, more so than warmachine even.

Avarice
29-10-2006, 18:53
Greetings all. I'm not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I too am looking into Confrontation and thought this might be better than starting an entirely new thread. The minis look nice, but can anyone point me in the direction of some material, either online or in books, that might tell me some more about the races/background and the rules of the game? That would be much appreciated. :)

(Oh and when I say point me in the direction of, that means can anyone mention where I might get such things if I have to go out myself? Haven't seen any "Rackham" shops like there are GWs).

The Rag'Narok rulebook, though spendy apparently has TONS of fluff in it for the 'world' of both games. (Ehh, the 2nd book in the starter set.)

And also, Confrontation itself plays WONDERFUL, after being frustrated with WFB, it was an incredibly nice change. The rules, as well as the models are simply beautiful.

The rules are also very simple, once you get past the poor translations and wierd phrases. As for finding a reference for it, I'm still looking around the internet, and have yet to find a solid community, though the Rulebook is, obviously a good source of information.

The main problem with Conf. is that you are probably going to need someone to show you the rules before you get it, unless you speak french, =P but after that, it's a solid game.

As for where to buy, here in Salem, I make my pilgrimmages to a 'general' game shop, which works out nicer, as I've heard iffy things about some of the GW Peons at GW's stores, anyhow - Maybe ask a local retailer if they're planning on stocking it? If not, there's always group deals and mail order. Good luck.